#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Study is good and I am not a bit knowledgable I must tell you (if you have not already noticed) but here’s the problem with “study” as it were.

Catholics dont read their way out of the Church through study.

They leave for reasons like Dalcent has cited even if he has not been convincing, none of his reasons were due to study and finding error as a result.

However, many Protestants do read their way into the Catholic faith.

Interesting no?
Well, from my point of view, I was leaving because of ignorance, not because of study. I can see how Catholics can do that.
As for Protestants, the more they research, the more they find out and want to become a part of it.
 
Well, from my point of view, I was leaving because of ignorance, not because of study. I can see how Catholics can do that.
As for Protestants, the more they research, the more they find out and want to become a part of it.
Hi,
Not this protestant—sorry.😦 I enjoy learning about the CC but nothing has stood out to me as being a reason to join the CC. Since I believe the CC is not the one and church, I feel that we are all striving for the same thing.If you guys are striving in the CC then that is fine with me. I realize we have doctrinal differences but they still lead to the same conclusion. The most important thing is that we are following Jesus Christ and not someone else.😃 👍
I know people get all heated on the faith and works or Sola Scriptura issues. I just feel that even know Im RIGHT and YOUR WRONG:p LOL Sorry I had to be goofy.😉 It is our heart God is looking at.My bottom line is if you believe in Jesus Christ and what he did for us and that you a sinner in need of a Savior and repent of your sins then you are:thumbsup: .
 
Hi,
Not this protestant—sorry.😦 I enjoy learning about the CC but nothing has stood out to me as being a reason to join the CC. Since I believe the CC is not the one and church, I feel that we are all striving for the same thing.If you guys are striving in the CC then that is fine with me. I realize we have doctrinal differences but they still lead to the same conclusion. The most important thing is that we are following Jesus Christ and not someone else.😃 👍
I know people get all heated on the faith and works or Sola Scriptura issues. I just feel that even know Im RIGHT and YOUR WRONG:p LOL Sorry I had to be goofy.😉 It is our heart God is looking at.My bottom line is if you believe in Jesus Christ and what he did for us and that you a sinner in need of a Savior and repent of your sins then you are:thumbsup: .
You have a point here. Its absolutely not about if one of us poor slobs is right or wrong. Its about wheather or not Jesus tricked us.

I prefer to think he did no such thing.

It all started with individuals who decided what was right and wrong, and here is the result.😦
 
You have a point here. Its absolutely not about if one of us poor slobs is right or wrong. Its about wheather or not Jesus tricked us.

I prefer to think he did no such thing.

It all started with individuals who decided what was right and wrong, and here is the result.😦
I guess you could say we are byproducts of it. Well, when we get to heaven we will know. Not everything, but I think at least what the biblical truth was.😃
 
All for Him,

Please read the book of Numbers. Take a look at what happened to the ones who rejected authority and you cant deny it when you read it. The Lord has always used men in authority to guide his people. Noah Moses Abraham its a long list
 
I guess you could say we are byproducts of it. Well, when we get to heaven we will know. Not everything, but I think at least what the biblical truth was.😃
Truth in its entirety, biblical truth included. No one is denying that imperfect persons have always been instruments of God. None of the writers of the scriptures were perfect. none of the apostles were. Yet, this does not discredit their role of authority. in fact none of the men God chose except his only Son were perfect men.
 
Hi,
Not this protestant—sorry.😦 I enjoy learning about the CC but nothing has stood out to me as being a reason to join the CC. Since I believe the CC is not the one and church, I feel that we are all striving for the same thing.If you guys are striving in the CC then that is fine with me. I realize we have doctrinal differences but they still lead to the same conclusion. The most important thing is that we are following Jesus Christ and not someone else.😃 👍
I know people get all heated on the faith and works or Sola Scriptura issues. I just feel that even know Im RIGHT and YOUR WRONG:p LOL Sorry I had to be goofy.😉 It is our heart God is looking at.My bottom line is if you believe in Jesus Christ and what he did for us and that you a sinner in need of a Savior and repent of your sins then you are👍 .
Oh, I know that not everyone can be Catholic and not everyone can be Protestant. We are all united in the fact that we are all Christians. I completely agree with your statements that I have bolded. 😃
 
All for Him,

Please read the book of Numbers. Take a look at what happened to the ones who rejected authority and you cant deny it when you read it. The Lord has always used men in authority to guide his people. Noah Moses Abraham its a long list
Hi,
Yes but remember that was the old covenant with Israel. We are no longer under the old covenant. Our authority under the new covenant is Jesus Christ. If we do not submit ourselves to His authority we are doomed to a Christless HELL:eek: In the Book of Numbers they did not have Jesus Christ to follow nor did they have the Holy Spirit the way we do. Moses, Noah and Abraham were all faithful to a Holy God and trusted in Him and were examples to the Israelites of how to be faithful. They , however, were not the authorities and they did not claim to be either. They gave God all the authority. They simply followed orders directly from God.

Am I making any sense ?:o
 
Hi,
Yes but remember that was the old covenant with Israel. We are no longer under the old covenant. Our authority under the new covenant is Jesus Christ. If we do not submit ourselves to His authority we are doomed to a Christless HELL:eek: In the Book of Numbers they did not have Jesus Christ to follow nor did they have the Holy Spirit the way we do. Moses, Noah and Abraham were all faithful to a Holy God and trusted in Him and were examples to the Israelites of how to be faithful. They , however, were not the authorities and they did not claim to be either. They gave God all the authority. They simply followed orders directly from God.

Am I making any sense ?:o
In fact you are. I actually would have said the very same thing not too many years ago.

Again, I ask you to at least read it the way I read scripture.

Pray first, and again after. Read it without judgment.

I will be back with NT for your next assignment.🙂

BTW- Thank you for your interest and persistance. You help me more than you know. I miss the good old days of scripture being read together and talked about in good company.

You are good company.🙂
 
In fact you are. I actually would have said the very same thing not too many years ago.

Again, I ask you to at least read it the way I read scripture.

Pray first, and again after. Read it without judgment.

I will be back with NT for your next assignment.🙂

BTW- Thank you for your interest and persistance. You help me more than you know. I miss the good old days of scripture being read together and talked about in good company.

You are good company.🙂
Hi,
Thanks and right back at ya.😃 Is it me or is it easier for women to talk in a more civil way then men.:eek: Maybe our personalities just mesh. Or maybe we are both being hunble like God commands.👍
 
Hi,
Thanks and right back at ya.😃 Is it me or is it easier for women to talk in a more civil way then men.:eek: Maybe our personalities just mesh. Or maybe we are both being hunble like God commands.👍
ALLFORHIM, I agree with Damascus. You’ve been the most pleasant to debate with today. Women do seem to lack that stubborn and hopelessly competitive element we men are stuck with! :blessyou:
 
ALLFORHIM, I agree with Damascus. You’ve been the most pleasant to debate with today. Women do seem to lack that stubborn and hopelessly competitive element we men are stuck with! :blessyou:
Hi,
Thank you and I feel the same about you. It is so much nicer to debate when you can accept the others differences and just move on from there. IMHO problems arise when either or both parties have to be right and start to get mean. I refuse to act like this. Ill be the first to admit I dont know it all. Actually the forums have been a great bible study for me. The repetition of the Scripture used to debate the same topics over and over are actually causing me to start to memorize some Scripture:D So, I say thanks for challenging me guys/gals:thumbsup:
 
Hi,
Thanks and right back at ya.😃 Is it me or is it easier for women to talk in a more civil way then men.:eek: Maybe our personalities just mesh. Or maybe we are both being hunble like God commands.👍
Could be. Good point. But maybe its just our mutual desire to be close as we can to him?
 
This conversation ended on a good note after I left on Friday. :o I feel like we need a group hug! 😛
You guys are great!!! 😃
 
If Dalcent truly wants our opinions, he’ll come back or start another similar thread. 😉
 
I use several different sources. Right now I am doing a study on the book of Daniel by Beth Moore. I have a Believer’s bible commentary. I use the NIV and NASB versions of the bible. The other studies I dont remember but they are through workbooks or books. All different sources I suppose. I always study the bible through a bible study offered at my church.😃
Which concordances do you use?

There are a variety of different translations available. My experience with translations is that oftentimes the English “versions” differ substantially from one another and also differ substantially from how I would translate from the original language.

I know a little Latin, but no Hebrew or Greek.

One of my “wishes” would be to study Hebrew and Greek.

Every language has it’s own peculiarities and it is really difficult to get past the cultural differences [the Middle Eastern culture versus “Western Culture”] and the “temporal” differences [differences owing to Jesus’ and the Apostlies preaching and writing taking place 2000 years ago]

For example, few people in Western Civilization have ever raised sheep. Yet Jesus talks about sheep all the time.

Jesus talks about mustard seeds and fig trees… He talks about fishing. He talks about letting weeds and wheat grow together.

When Jesus rescued the woman who was about to be stoned to death, … we cannot relate to that.

A lot of Jesus’ talks wove in references to “Old Testament” quotations, so any study of the New Testament must also be accompanied by the “Old Testament” laid open along side the “New Testament”.

Maybe also, writings of the Doctors and Fathers of the Church from the first three centuries should accompany New Testament study… because they “amplified” and explained the Christian faith to their “parishioners”. And they did it under conditions of persecution.

I was reading an English translation of some Psalms … really part of the Old Testament. And came across the expression “Son of Man” … in the Old Testament!! I was pretty surprised. And the publisher/editor had added a footnote in Hebrew suggesting that the original text used the expression “ben Adom”, which of course is not in Hebrew writing, but “ben Adom” [Son of Adam] suggests a totally different nuance from “Son of Man”.

So, anyway, sorry for being so long winded… but I am “wary” [not the right word, sorry] of rigid adherence to interpretations of English text that may or may not be accurate representations of the Hebrew.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top