#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have our own persoanl thread here. It is just us three.😃 Were havin a party;)
 
I agree with you here. Although, if God wanted it written, it would be written:thumbsup:
Yes indeed. God may have felt is was adequate for us to have the martyrs like Paul and his followers to pass things on as well.
Jesus never commanded anyone to write scripture. So, you are guessing now.

I dont like to guess on this kind of thing.
 
I like the idea of just throwing a book of the Bible out there and seeing what kind of verses can be found regarding arguments for and against sola scriptura. I know that’s off-topic but in a way, we’re being taught scripture and are no longer ignorant. 😃
 
I think we have our own persoanl thread here. It is just us three.😃 Were havin a party;)
What to do with the leftovers? I’ll save mine for Dalcent!

Thanks Dalcent we are having fun now and owe it all to you!😃
 
Since it is just us–can I tell you what happened last night. My daughter secretly logged onto the forum–set up an account and then sent me a pm telling me that I am on here too much and we need to have a family meeting about it.😦 I guess it was a forum intervention. I was told I could only be on the forum until 4pm. I will have to slow donw because I dont want it to interfere with my family.😦 On that note I have to take my daughter to her cousins for a sleepover so Ill be back.
 
Since it is just us–can I tell you what happened last night. My daughter secretly logged onto the forum–set up an account and then sent me a pm telling me that I am on here too much and we need to have a family meeting about it.😦 I guess it was a forum intervention. I was told I could only be on the forum until 4pm. I will have to slow donw because I dont want it to interfere with my family.😦 On that note I have to take my daughter to her cousins for a sleepover so Ill be back.
:eek: I’m spoiled cuz I get to do this at work. 😛
 
Since it is just us–can I tell you what happened last night. My daughter secretly logged onto the forum–set up an account and then sent me a pm telling me that I am on here too much and we need to have a family meeting about it.😦 I guess it was a forum intervention. I was told I could only be on the forum until 4pm. I will have to slow donw because I dont want it to interfere with my family.😦 On that note I have to take my daughter to her cousins for a sleepover so Ill be back.
WOW. Give her a hug from us nuts. Blame it on us. Tell her its all Damascus’s fault.😦
 
The Incarnation of Jesus was yet another way God revealed himself further to us without using writers or a book to do so.

Jesus= the Living Word. The living truth.

There is no verse in the entire bible that makes the claim that all teachings of Christ are in the book.

😃
 
There is no verse in the entire bible that makes the claim that all teachings of Christ are in the book.

😃
My apologetics teacher in high school told us that nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Bible is the sole source of our faith.
 
My apologetics teacher in high school told us that nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Bible is the sole source of our faith.
Agreed! No where in the Bible is there a list of approved books!
No where in the Bible does it say Bible. Scriptures, writings, epistles, but no Bible.

Also, the word Trinity, not in there. But using reason one can mine it out.

So much more! But how about another suggestion for bible reading MrsA.

Got any for today? Name a book. Any book. Lets mine through the Scriptures!
 
Hi,
I thought that is where you were going but I wanted to make sure. I agree with you mostly. **Timothy could have taken some of Paul’s letters for all we **know and Im sure he or the church had the OT. I agree that the Gospel message was spread orally because our version of the NT was not put together yet. But that doesnt mean Timothy or anyone else for that matter taught anything that was not later written down in the bible.😃
First you say if God wanted it written he would have. and now you say we dont know if those written words were taken to the Philipians.
IF it were so important for us to be assured of Bible alone he certainly had a chance to illustrate that to us in this example, buy having it written that the writings were taken.😃
 
Agreed! No where in the Bible is there a list of approved books!
No where in the Bible does it say Bible. Scriptures, writings, epistles, but no Bible.

Also, the word Trinity, not in there. But using reason one can mine it out.

So much more! But how about another suggestion for bible reading MrsA.

Got any for today? Name a book. Any book. Lets mine through the Scriptures!
How about 1 Peter? I’m not too familiar with that one myself. My favorite verse is 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your worries upon Him because He cares for you.” 😃
 
How about 1 Peter? I’m not too familiar with that one myself. My favorite verse is 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your worries upon Him because He cares for you.” 😃
1 Peter 5:7

Note: in verse 5- “you who are younger”
words of advice addressed to the less important ministers of the individual communities.

Note: in verse 6- “in the time of visitation” (in greek its “in due time”)

note: verse 7-

Cast all your anxiety upon him, because he cares for you

Of course. He is most concerned with matters pertaining to his very body.

Now, in verse 5 we see we are to be subject to the presbyters.

Again, authority was never up for grabs even then.
 
1 Peter 5:7

Note: in verse 5- “you who are younger”
words of advice addressed to the less important ministers of the individual communities.

Note: in verse 6- “in the time of visitation” (in greek its “in due time”)

note: verse 7-

Cast all your anxiety upon him, because he cares for you

Of course. He is most concerned with matters pertaining to his very body.

Now, in verse 5 we see we are to be subject to the presbyters.

Again, authority was never up for grabs even then.
What does presbyter actually mean? Does it have a greek translation?
 
*all those who were in authority in the early christian communities, both priests and bishops
Acts 11:30, 14:22, 15:2-4

Its all greek to me:D
 
*all those who were in authority in the early christian communities, both priests and bishops
Acts 11:30, 14:22, 15:2-4

Its all greek to me:D
I figured you knew. You’re pretty on top of the greek. My generation was never really exposed to the greek aspect of religion or just terms, in general, unless it came up briefly in better defining the meaning of words. Nothing studied in depth though.
 
Pope John Paul II was extremely concerned at the Catholic losses to Pentecostalism & Fundamentalism, especially in Latin America. Massive percentages of Catholics are poached by these groups. Thank you Lord, for books like ‘Catholicism and Fundamentalism’ but I only ever seen 1 copy of it in England in 4 ½ years: mine!

So, what ought the priests do? From the pulpit maybe give about 12–20 solidly Catholic verses to give basic answers to the fundamental drivel. But they never even preach any verses whatsoever. It would be **so **easy, but they let the opportunity slip.

And off the Catholics go to the Baptist churches! Why, why why?

I have an great 84 page booklet for Catholics defending us from the New Age movement by the:
PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR CULTURE
PONTIFICIAL COUNCIL FOR INTERRELIGIOUS DIALOGUE
Jesus Christ the bearer of the Water of Life
A Christian Reflection on the ‘New Age’

Have the Church produced a similar booklet against the Fundamentalist threat? Are they really only a few authors at Ignatius Press on the case whilst millions are being lost?

But again I only think the Catholic parishes need to teach most of their members a couple of dozen verses and they’d be inoculated. But they won’t.

I have decided my break my questions up into a number of posts because I’m looking for real answers and don’t want to be accused of making a ‘buckshot’ attack.
There’s an old saying that if you point your finger at someone, you have three pointing back at you. We are all part of this Apostolate of the Laity. What are we doing to evangelize our brother? Yes, the priests need to preach the truth, but we in the laity have a huge responsibility, too. Sometimes that even includes helping the priest in his ministry.
 
I figured you knew. You’re pretty on top of the greek. My generation was never really exposed to the greek aspect of religion or just terms, in general, unless it came up briefly in better defining the meaning of words. Nothing studied in depth though.
Study is good and I am not a bit knowledgable I must tell you (if you have not already noticed) but here’s the problem with “study” as it were.

Catholics dont read their way out of the Church through study.

They leave for reasons like Dalcent has cited even if he has not been convincing, none of his reasons were due to study and finding error as a result.

However, many Protestants do read their way into the Catholic faith.

Interesting no?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top