#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, Arianism was biblical. In fact, I believe someone posted a quote from St Jerome recently that made the point that ALL heresies are biblical. You can defend alot of different beliefs from the Bible. And when people started claiming that Jesus wasn’t God or that the God of the Old Testament was evil and the God of the New Testament was good, it was the Church who was able to stand firmly by the truth.
Hi,
I dont have a problem with what you say. I dont know what Arianism is either:o When I tell you I stick to the bible I mean I stick to the bible. When I am taught something unfamiliar, I go to my bible for answers. I ask the Holy Spirit for help and I get it. My minister , in his sermon on Sunday, explained how we were made to be intelligent beings and God wants us to be intellectual. God wants us to study out the Scriptures and when we are not sure about something we should pray and ask God for guidance and He will give it. Now, I do ask other christians who are more mature then me for biblical advice. Many times I will ask them where to find something in the bible:o God has given people the ability to teach His word and I go to those I trust. If they tell me something Im not quite sure of I go to the bible to see if it backs what they are saying up.😉 If it does great if not then I question them further and we hash it out. It can be tiresome but IMHO I feel it is the only way to grow in Christ and become a mature Christian.😃 I and my church also stand firmly by the truth.
 
"ALLFORHIM:
I use several different sources. Right now I am doing a study on the book of Daniel by Beth Moore. I have a Believer’s bible commentary. I use the NIV and NASB versions of the bible. The other studies I dont remember but they are through workbooks or books. All different sources I suppose. I always study the bible through a bible study offered at my church.
Hi,
I dont have a problem with what you say. I dont know what Arianism is either:o When I tell you I stick to the bible I mean I stick to the bible. When I am taught something unfamiliar, I go to my bible for answers. I ask the Holy Spirit for help and I get it. My minister , in his sermon on Sunday, explained how we were made to be intelligent beings and God wants us to be intellectual. God wants us to study out the Scriptures and when we are not sure about something we should pray and ask God for guidance and He will give it. Now, I do ask other christians who are more mature then me for biblical advice. Many times I will ask them where to find something in the bible:o God has given people the ability to teach His word and I go to those I trust. If they tell me something Im not quite sure of I go to the bible to see if it backs what they are saying up.😉 If it does great if not then I question them further and we hash it out. It can be tiresome but IMHO I feel it is the only way to grow in Christ and become a mature Christian.😃 I and my church also stand firmly by the truth.
Then you really do not rely on God as much as you rely on the authority of others. And by what authority do those who guide you receive their authority?
 
Hi,
I dont have a problem with what you say. I dont know what Arianism is either:o When I tell you I stick to the bible I mean I stick to the bible. When I am taught something unfamiliar, I go to my bible for answers. I ask the Holy Spirit for help and I get it. My minister , in his sermon on Sunday, explained how we were made to be intelligent beings and God wants us to be intellectual. God wants us to study out the Scriptures and when we are not sure about something we should pray and ask God for guidance and He will give it. Now, I do ask other christians who are more mature then me for biblical advice. Many times I will ask them where to find something in the bible:o God has given people the ability to teach His word and I go to those I trust. If they tell me something Im not quite sure of I go to the bible to see if it backs what they are saying up.😉 If it does great if not then I question them further and we hash it out. It can be tiresome but IMHO I feel it is the only way to grow in Christ and become a mature Christian.😃 I and my church also stand firmly by the truth.
Arianism was a heresy that claimed Jesus was not fully God and it used Scripture to come to that view. It nearly vanquished the true Church because it had amazing support from not only the Priests who supported it but also the Roman aristocracy and the army. It was the authority of the Church, the Pope and the Bishops, who finally overcame it. I hope you see the significance of that.
 
Then you really do not rely on God as much as you rely on the authority of others. And by what authority do those who guide you receive their authority?
A protestant will say the Holy Spirit. But there’s the problem. How do you know the Holy Spirit is guiding you and not the man down the street who is convinced that Holy Spirit has revealed to him that James was written to show people how not to behave? You really can’t. Not without a physical authority.
 
Hey,
As Catholics, we are taught that man is made in the image and likeness of God. Is that biblical? If so, where is it at?
I’m somewhat “unskilled” at looking up specific bible verses. 😛
Yes its biblical. Its in the creation account in Genesis.

Sorry i dont have time to type it out.

A 19 yr old boy in my family is having a funeral today. He was killed instantly on sat. in a car accident. I have been on the phone all day since my spouse would not let me go to the funeral.

I was also forbidden to go to the wake, but was promised I could go to the funeral.:mad:

So I AM MAD.

THe boys name is Alec.

Life sucks.
 
Yes its biblical. Its in the creation account in Genesis.

Sorry i dont have time to type it out.

A 19 yr old boy in my family is having a funeral today. He was killed instantly on sat. in a car accident. I have been on the phone all day since my spouse would not let me go to the funeral.

I was also forbidden to go to the wake, but was promised I could go to the funeral.:mad:

So I AM MAD.

THe boys name is Alec.

Life sucks.
My prayers are with you and your family. 😦
 
"jim1130:
Then you really do not rely on God as much as you rely on the authority of others. And by what authority do those who guide you receive their authority?
A protestant will say the Holy Spirit. But there’s the problem. How do you know the Holy Spirit is guiding you and not the man down the street who is convinced that Holy Spirit has revealed to him that James was written to show people how not to behave? You really can’t. Not without a physical authority.
What I don’t understand is that many of these people claim that the Bible is easy to read and that they possess the authority (intelligence, sophistication, breadth of knowledge,e tc.) to accurately interpret it, but then they rely on OTHERS to tell them what to believe, what passages mean, and challenge Catholics as misrepresenting the Bible. If these individuals were truly sola scriptura then they would not rely on any source other than the Bible, but they do. As a Catholic, we have the authority of the Church and make no bones about it, but the non-Catholic denies the authority of the Catholic Church yet uses others to tell them how to interpret.

Of course, when they deny the authority of the Catholic Church they are also denying her authority of the Canon of Scripture, but that is another ball of yarn to unravel.

Am I making any sense whatsoever? :confused: I feel like I know what to say, but am not saying it accurately.
 
Yes its biblical. Its in the creation account in Genesis.

Sorry i dont have time to type it out.

A 19 yr old boy in my family is having a funeral today. He was killed instantly on sat. in a car accident. I have been on the phone all day since my spouse would not let me go to the funeral.

I was also forbidden to go to the wake, but was promised I could go to the funeral.:mad:

So I AM MAD.

THe boys name is Alec.

Life sucks.
Grant peace unto Alec, o Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

May his soul and all the souls of the faithfully departed through the mercy of God rest in peace.

Amen.
 
"jim1130:
Then you really do not rely on God as much as you rely on the authority of others. And by what authority do those who guide you receive their authority?
From the Holy Spirit.😃
How do you know it is the Holy Spirit and not your subconscious? Besides, by your own admission, you state that you go to others for interpretaiton and guidance. How do you know the Holy Spirit is guiding any of these sources? And since you tend to disagree with Catholics and the Holy Spirit does not creat confusion then by what authority do you determine the truth?
 
How do you know it si the Holy Spirit and not your subconscious? Besides, by your own admission, you state that you go to others for interpretaiton and guidance. How do you know the Holy Spirit is guiding any of these sources? And since you tend to disagree with Catholics and the Holy Spirit does not creat confusion then by what authority do you determine the truth?
Hi,
The bible is my plum line. I line everything that I hear and feel by what the Word of God actually says. If it lines up with God then I believe. I realize that we have different intrepretations of the bible. I can only speak for myself and tell you that I have faith enough in God and the Holy Spirit to guide me in all truth. If I am not at peace then I know the Holy Spirit is trying to teach me something. I dont know where your spiritual walk is but Im sure you know what I mean.😃 My authority is God and He gave me the bible to help guide me through this life. I am also grateful that he gave other people the gift of teaching biblical principles. I dont disagree with all that the CC teaches. I just dont believe they corner the market on being the One and Only Church. God made salvation available to all people. He gave us one way to obtain that salvation—Jesus Christ. All who accept the free gift of salvation are believers who make up the body of Christ–which is the universal church. I know you dont believe this but I would prefer if we not talk about this since there are many other threads that cover this topic:thumbsup:

God Bless
 
Yes its biblical. Its in the creation account in Genesis.

Sorry i dont have time to type it out.

A 19 yr old boy in my family is having a funeral today. He was killed instantly on sat. in a car accident. I have been on the phone all day since my spouse would not let me go to the funeral.

I was also forbidden to go to the wake, but was promised I could go to the funeral.:mad:

So I AM MAD.

THe boys name is Alec.

Life sucks.
My prayers are with you and your family. :gopray: 😦
 
Hi,
The bible is my plum line. I line everything that I hear and feel by what the Word of God actually says. If it lines up with God then I believe. I realize that we have different intrepretations of the bible. I can only speak for myself and tell you that I have faith enough in God and the Holy Spirit to guide me in all truth. If I am not at peace then I know the Holy Spirit is trying to teach me something. I dont know where your spiritual walk is but Im sure you know what I mean.😃 My authority is God and He gave me the bible to help guide me through this life. I am also grateful that he gave other people the gift of teaching biblical principles. I dont disagree with all that the CC teaches. I just dont believe they corner the market on being the One and Only Church. God made salvation available to all people. He gave us one way to obtain that salvation—Jesus Christ. All who accept the free gift of salvation are believers who make up the body of Christ–which is the universal church. I know you dont believe this but I would prefer if we not talk about this since there are many other threads that cover this topic:thumbsup:

God Bless
I do not disagree that God made salvation to everyone, even the villager in the remote jungles of the Amazon.

I think that your summary is my concern with Protestantism (and these are my words, not yours, and my words are based on what I gleaned from your explanation): Everyone is their own Pope assigning themselves as their own authority thereby creating religious and theological anarchy.

I am not questioning or doubting your sincerity because from what I have read in other posts you strike me as a genuine person devoted to God, someone who tries very hard to lead by both word and example.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
 
I am not questioning or doubting your sincerity because from what I have read in other posts you strike me as a genuine person devoted to God, someone who tries very hard to lead by both word and example.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
:o I think that’s one of the nicest comments I’ve read about someone being said by someone else in awhile. 🙂
 
I do not disagree that God made salvation to everyone, even the villager in the remote jungles of the Amazon.

I think that your summary is my concern with Protestantism (and these are my words, not yours, and my words are based on what I gleaned from your explanation): Everyone is their own Pope assigning themselves as their own authority thereby creating religious and theological anarchy.

I am not questioning or doubting your sincerity because from what I have read in other posts you strike me as a genuine person devoted to God, someone who tries very hard to lead by both word and example.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
Thank you Jim,
As mrs. abbott said that was so incredibly nice of you to say. I do try my hardest(well most of the time:o )

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.😃
 
Hi,
I dont have a problem with what you say. I dont know what Arianism is either:o When I tell you I stick to the bible I mean I stick to the bible. When I am taught something unfamiliar, I go to my bible for answers. I ask the Holy Spirit for help and I get it. My minister , in his sermon on Sunday, explained how we were made to be intelligent beings and God wants us to be intellectual. God wants us to study out the Scriptures and when we are not sure about something we should pray and ask God for guidance and He will give it. Now, I do ask other christians who are more mature then me for biblical advice. Many times I will ask them where to find something in the bible:o God has given people the ability to teach His word and I go to those I trust. If they tell me something Im not quite sure of I go to the bible to see if it backs what they are saying up.😉 If it does great if not then I question them further and we hash it out. It can be tiresome but IMHO I feel it is the only way to grow in Christ and become a mature Christian.😃 I and my church also stand firmly by the truth.
If yuo stick only to the Bible, then you will have much company. The Aryans, the Gnostics, the Manacheans and the Jews have done as much. this is the problem with interpreting the Bible literally or on your own. Is that sooner or later, one aspect of the Bible will conflict with another aspect of the Bible and you will be confused. All the heresies outlined above were based on a Bible literalism which stemmed from their own interpretation of what it meant. None of the above agreed with each other. None. All of these heresies are with us in some form or another. They rear their ugly heads under new names.
There is a story of St. John. He liked to attend the daily public baths. He was also at that time engaged in fighting the heresy of the Manacheans. The Manacheans were interpreting the light and dark passages of the bible and they outlined light foods and dark foods, and light this and dark that. St. John was ultimately successful in defending the Church from their heresy. On his way to the baths one day, he received word that a big time Manachean leader was there awaiting debate and John went home. Who can blame him? It’s exhausting.

We have the Manachean heresy with us today in the form of Seventh Day Adventist by the way. Much of their theology is through interpreting scripture the Manachean way. But that is where we come to the rub. They end up fighting with the Gospel and St. John. Therefore their interpretation MUST be false because they are fighting with the guy who was there and wrote it and was the beloved disciple. So when Manacheans/Seventh Day Adventists tell me they accept only the word of the Gospel- I go home.

How can one take the Bible literally and claim the Church is wrong, when St. John is part of the Bible and he fought the heresy? Ridiculous.

For then you are in the remarkable position of calling St. John a liar therefore calling that which you take literally false. Because John is part of the Gospel. If John fought all of these heresies, which he did, it was just the Manachean one that took most of his energy, don’t you think it wise to follow St. John? I mean if you really are following the Gospel as you claim. Helllooo? Am I getting through here?
 
All for Him,

I am very concerned about your bible advisor Beth Moore.

Please read this if you have time, Its absolutely sugar coated poison.

Please read this!

modernreformation.org/sd05moore.htm

I cant believe this!:confused:

This is not a Catholic site either. Its another bible believing faith telling it from their POV.
 
All for Him,

I am very concerned about your bible advisor Beth Moore.

Please read this if you have time, Its absolutely sugar coated poison.

Please read this!

modernreformation.org/sd05moore.htm

I cant believe this!:confused:

This is not a Catholic site either. Its another bible believing faith telling it from their POV.
Hi,
I have not taken this study so I cant comment on this particular study. I do however like Beth Moore’s study and will continue to take them . Interesting that she was from a Presbyterian church because Beth Moore is a Presbyterian.
Maybe this woman’s church teaches similar doctrine to the CC which would make sense as to why she wouldnt agree with Beth.

Anyway, thank you for the article:D
 
If yuo stick only to the Bible, then you will have much company. The Aryans, the Gnostics, the Manacheans and the Jews have done as much. this is the problem with interpreting the Bible literally or on your own. Is that sooner or later, one aspect of the Bible will conflict with another aspect of the Bible and you will be confused. All the heresies outlined above were based on a Bible literalism which stemmed from their own interpretation of what it meant. None of the above agreed with each other. None. All of these heresies are with us in some form or another. They rear their ugly heads under new names.
There is a story of St. John. He liked to attend the daily public baths. He was also at that time engaged in fighting the heresy of the Manacheans. The Manacheans were interpreting the light and dark passages of the bible and they outlined light foods and dark foods, and light this and dark that. St. John was ultimately successful in defending the Church from their heresy. On his way to the baths one day, he received word that a big time Manachean leader was there awaiting debate and John went home. Who can blame him? It’s exhausting.

We have the Manachean heresy with us today in the form of Seventh Day Adventist by the way. Much of their theology is through interpreting scripture the Manachean way. But that is where we come to the rub. They end up fighting with the Gospel and St. John. Therefore their interpretation MUST be false because they are fighting with the guy who was there and wrote it and was the beloved disciple. So when Manacheans/Seventh Day Adventists tell me they accept only the word of the Gospel- I go home.

How can one take the Bible literally and claim the Church is wrong, when St. John is part of the Bible and he fought the heresy? Ridiculous.

For then you are in the remarkable position of calling St. John a liar therefore calling that which you take literally false. Because John is part of the Gospel. If John fought all of these heresies, which he did, it was just the Manachean one that took most of his energy, don’t you think it wise to follow St. John? I mean if you really are following the Gospel as you claim. Helllooo? Am I getting through here?
Hi,
I do believe all John says.😃 We just disagree on the Eucharist and of course our definition oof the church is different as well…😦 Other than that Im with you on everything else you mentioned.👍 One of my friend’s grew up in a SDA church and she admits they have some whacky views which is why she left. She did they though that they also taught the truth about Jesus Christ and who he was.
 
Hi,
I do believe all John says.😃 We just disagree on the Eucharist and of course our definition oof the church is different as well…😦 Other than that Im with you on everything else you mentioned.👍 One of my friend’s grew up in a SDA church and she admits they have some whacky views which is why she left. She did they though that they also taught the truth about Jesus Christ and who he was.
All for Him–

please clarify— Do you know about the SDA?

MAybe I read this part I bolded wrong—

Does she contend they taught the truth about Jesus Christ?

Okay, I better not ask. I think we have to agree that we Love the Bible and leave it there.👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top