#3 – Ignorance of Scripture Verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalcent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe she meant how we can best know Christ and follow Him is by reading accounts of His life in the Bible. Maybe? 🙂
That works!👍

But, how about the people that did not have bibles? They must have been doomed.:eek:
 
That works!👍

But, how about the people that did not have bibles? They must have been doomed.:eek:
As long as they knew someone who could articulate really well, then they’d be fine. 😃 Maybe they have bible plays? I’m reaching, I know. 🙂
I know you’re saying that we can see Christ in everyone we meet since we were all created in the image and likeness of God. 😉
 
So, I take it the early fathers, martyrs and others that were taught by the apostles would not be of any help to learn how to be Christ -like since they are not mentioned in the Bible? :confused:

My child is not mentioned in the Bible, but teaches me more everyday how to be more Christ-like! 🙂
Hi,
The only way we can know how Christ wants us to be is by reading us the Word of Life He has left us.

The early church fathers could lead by example absolutely, but where do you think they learned their behavior? They learned from the Apostles or NT writings.

Your child is also learning this behavior from you. We certainly can learn from seeing how other people act(positive and negative)but the ultimate teacher is Jesus Christ himself and their is only one place to learn about Him.😃 👍
 
As long as they knew someone who could articulate really well, then they’d be fine. 😃 Maybe they have bible plays? I’m reaching, I know. 🙂
I know you’re saying that we can see Christ in everyone we meet since we were all created in the image and likeness of God. 😉
Hi,

They were probably taught orally. Maybe by plays. I wasnt there;)
I think we have to be careful though saying we can see Christ in everyone we meet because that is not really the case. Although we were created in God’s image:thumbsup: Isnt that mind blowing. We just had a sermon on that this past Sunday. This is something I have a hard wrapping my mind around but I do believe.😃
 
The only way we can know how Christ wants us to be is by reading us the Word of Life He has left us.
Wow. I completely disagreee with that statement if by “Word of Life” you mean the Bible specifically and only the Bible.

If this was true then billions of people throughout history would have had no way of knowing how “Christ wants us to be”.
 
Hi,

They were probably taught orally. Maybe by plays. I wasnt there;)
I think we have to be careful though saying we can see Christ in everyone we meet because that is not really the case. Although we were created in God’s image:thumbsup: Isnt that mind blowing. We just had a sermon on that this past Sunday. This is something I have a hard wrapping my mind around but I do believe.😃
I guess I shouldn’t say that we can see Christ in everyone we meet because some people make it VERY difficult sometimes. 😃 We need to STRIVE to see Christ in everyone we meet so we can practice charity towards that individual.
 
Hi,

They were probably taught orally. Maybe by plays. I wasnt there;)
I think we have to be careful though saying we can see Christ in everyone we meet because that is not really the case. Although we were created in God’s image:thumbsup: Isnt that mind blowing. We just had a sermon on that this past Sunday. This is something I have a hard wrapping my mind around but I do believe.😃
:confused:

What confuses me about this is

Because you are unwittingly saying Christ only died for some and not all.

So there is not one human being you can not see Christ in.

And you are unwittingly thinking there are humans that are deviod of any good in them at all and they are pure intrinsic evil. With not one speck of good in them. Pure evil.

You can see Christ in everyone by reminding yourself that the person in question is a part of Gods plan. And yes its a mystery.
 
Hi,

They were probably taught orally. Maybe by plays. I wasnt there;)
I think we have to be careful though saying we can see Christ in everyone we meet because that is not really the case. Although we were created in God’s image:thumbsup: Isnt that mind blowing. We just had a sermon on that this past Sunday. This is something I have a hard wrapping my mind around but I do believe.😃
How is that not the case? Didn’t he say “Whatever you did to the least of my brothers, you did it to me”?
 
Wow. I completely disagreee with that statement if by “Word of Life” you mean the Bible specifically and only the Bible.

If this was true then billions of people throughout history would have had no way of knowing how “Christ wants us to be”.
Well,
Remember that the OT was/is considered the bible. So, man has had something to follow. The completed bible ,IMHO was meant for the church age ,which is what we are in. God made provisions for people before any written word. God appeared to people since creation, so God has always been around showing us and guiding us. But for the age we are living in God gave us the bible.
Am I being more clear?:confused:
 
How is that not the case? Didn’t he say “Whatever you did to the least of my brothers, you did it to me”?
Hi,
Of course we are to show love to all people. You are correct:thumbsup:
 
:confused:

What confuses me about this is

Because you are unwittingly saying Christ only died for some and not all.

So there is not one human being you can not see Christ in.

And you are unwittingly thinking there are humans that are deviod of any good in them at all and they are pure intrinsic evil. With not one speck of good in them. Pure evil.

You can see Christ in everyone by reminding yourself that the person in question is a part of Gods plan. And yes its a mystery.
Hi, well I have to disagree on some parts of your statement. People can behave in a pleasing manner and be considered good people by us humans, but what is more important is how God sees us. If you have not accepted Christ into your life and not have the Holy Spirit indwelling in you God does see us as filthy rags(I cant find Scripture)
I think many people think well Im a good person so I will go to heaven. God is love. Well, that is not what God teaches. Because of original sin we are all condemned to eternal damnation. But because of God’s love and mercy and grace He made a way for us to be adopted into His family and we know that to be Jesus Christ.
The point is that none of us are really any good in the eyes of God. When He looks at people who believe He sees Jesus in us who is our mediator(PTL!!!)
We have to be careful that we do not buy into all the self-love movement that the world dishes out. If we know how intrinsically horrible we are we will seek out Jesus and repent and ask for forgiveness. Well that was heavy–sorry about that.:o
 
I read through this entire thread and I may have missed the post in which someone made two strong recommendations.
  1. Visit the Catholic Answers on-line bookstore and look for the book with the title, “Catholicism and Fundamentalism”. The author is, I believe, correct me if I am wrong… none other than our leader … Mark Levin … no… ummm … Karl Keating. Yes, pretty sure it’s Karl Keating. [Just kidding, Karl!]
  2. In addition to “Catholicism and Fundamentalism”, Karl and the CA staff (which may have been just Karl working by himself at the time) have produced an amazing set of “tracts” that answer just about every biblically-oriented question and question about the Catholic Church imaginable.
These tracts are available from the Catholic Answers bookstore.

Please, everyone … check out these two valuable references.

Somewhere on this site there may be the history of Catholic Answers, which was founded for the specific purpose of providing … [are you ready?] … Catholic answers.

The CA Forum may or may not be the most authoritative source; each of us laypersons have our own approach to things. But “Catholicism and Fundamentalism” and the CA tracts address all these issues and questions.
 
Hi, well I have to disagree on some parts of your statement. People can behave in a pleasing manner and be considered good people by us humans, but what is more important is how God sees us. If you have not accepted Christ into your life and not have the Holy Spirit indwelling in you God does see us as filthy rags(I cant find Scripture)
I think many people think well Im a good person so I will go to heaven. God is love. Well, that is not what God teaches. Because of original sin we are all condemned to eternal damnation. But because of God’s love and mercy and grace He made a way for us to be adopted into His family and we know that to be Jesus Christ.
The point is that none of us are really any good in the eyes of God. When He looks at people who believe He sees Jesus in us who is our mediator(PTL!!!)
We have to be careful that we do not buy into all the self-love movement that the world dishes out. If we know how intrinsically horrible we are we will seek out Jesus and repent and ask for forgiveness. Well that was heavy–sorry about that.:o
Thats okay. I still think you are wrong.

Buy the high fat version of those cookies!

You still have not supported your case that Jesus can not be found in everyone. Your scripture I think you are speaking of is not a condemnation of us not having Jesus in us all. It is merely a reference to works alone.

Not to mention that you have not proven there is a soul that is pure intrinsic evil.

But I have to go to the evil fed ex mail drop off now. And make copies. Grrr.

PS- I am confident I will be going to Purgatory, so I am not one to think I am a good person and going to heaven bingo pass all stops.
 
Thats okay. I still think you are wrong.

Buy the high fat version of those cookies!

You still have not supported your case that Jesus can not be found in everyone. Your scripture I think you are speaking of is not a condemnation of us not having Jesus in us all. It is merely a reference to works alone.

Not to mention that you have not proven there is a soul that is pure intrinsic evil.

But I have to go to the evil fed ex mail drop off now. And make copies. Grrr.

PS- I am confident I will be going to Purgatory, so I am not one to think I am a good person and going to heaven bingo pass all stops.
ALLFORHIM has a point. For the love we discuss is the love we have for God, not the love he has for us.

It is not the sentimental type that makes us worry about our family’s fate after we arrive in Purgatory and it is rather too late to make an effort on their behalf.

It is the type that makes us work toward our family’s salvation now and skips the Hallmark stuff.

And since it is of the nature of us having love for God rather than from God, yes, we can conceive of a soul being intrinsically evil.
 
Buy the high fat version of those cookies!
LOL:rotfl: :rotfl:
You still have not supported your case that Jesus can not be found in everyone
.You know what you are right. I havent made myself clear.😦
Your scripture I think you are speaking of is not a condemnation of us not having Jesus in us all. It is merely a reference to works alone.
I wasnt mentioning works at all:confused:
Not to mention that you have not proven there is a soul that is pure intrinsic evil.
Read John 3:1-21 maybe that will help. WOW, I looked up evil in the back of my bible and there was a huge list of Scriptures. I encourage you to look it up in your bible and read through some. Mark 7:20-23 jumped out at me. Also Luke 6:-45 and Matthew 12:33-37
But I have to go to the evil fed ex mail drop off now. And make copies. Grrr.
Have fun:thumbsup: I have to go eat dinner. Have a great evening
 
All for him!

Have a nice dinner-

Your scripture on “rags” is the following:

Isaiah 64:6

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

I remember it well, as many use this verse to “disprove” Mary’s sinlessness.😦
 
Read up a few posts. I am adressing weather we can see Christ in all of us.
I can concieve of an intrinsic evil soul yes. But, I can not determine it thats Gods affair. So, I must see Christ in all of us. And remind myself that we are all a part of Gods plan. I am not sure what you mean by worring about any family’s fate, but I will attempt to. Human family perhaps?
If everything God created was good, I can say that no soul was created pure evil.
Thats Calvin’s theology.
ALLFORHIM has a point. For the love we discuss is the love we have for God, not the love he has for us.

It is not the sentimental type that makes us worry about our family’s fate after we arrive in Purgatory and it is rather too late to make an effort on their behalf.

It is the type that makes us work toward our family’s salvation now and skips the Hallmark stuff.

And since it is of the nature of us having love for God rather than from God, yes, we can conceive of a soul being intrinsically evil.
 
All for him!

Have a nice dinner-

Your scripture on “rags” is the following:

Isaiah 64:6

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

I remember it well, as many use this verse to “disprove” Mary’s sinlessness.😦
Hi thanks for the verse. I told you I dont memorize Scripture:o As far as Mary–that didnt even enter my thoughts. Although I do not believe in Mary’s sinlessness. But that is another thread that honestly Im not interested in talking about.😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top