B
boomerang
Guest
Would you go to a Nazi website to learn what Jews believe? Do yourself a favor. Don’t go to CARM to learn about Catholics.
The site lists five objections:I have concern about the 7 extra books. I notice there are flaws in them, so what should i do?
like
carm.org/errors-apocrypha
It comes down to savlation and not going to hell
The Church was founded by Jesus on Peter, not on a collection of writings. The Bible is the compilation of the books used as Scripture by the Jews during Jesus’ life and some post-Resurrection writings by Apostles and disciples.I have concern about the 7 extra books. I notice there are flaws in them, so what should i do?
like
carm.org/errors-apocrypha
it comes down to savlation and not going to hell
Well said.One complaint is the fish heart on the flames driving away evil spirits. It is an unusual method, but consider how the Lord healed a blind man.
"When he had said these things, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and spread the clay on his eyes, And said to him: Go, wash in the pool of Siloe, which is interpreted, Sent. He went therefore, and washed, and he came seeing. The neighbours therefore, and they who had seen him before that he was a beggar, said: Is not this he that sat and begged? Some said: This is he. But others said: No, but he is like him. But he said: I am he. They said therefore to him: How were thy eyes opened? (John 9: 6 -10)
Did he use witchcraft by using his spit and mud to heal this man’s eyes?![]()
The site lists five objections:
Okay, so there’s all five objections.
You listen to CARM? Man-made poison.I have concern about the 7 extra books. I notice there are flaws in them, so what should i do?
like
carm.org/errors-apocrypha
it comes down to savlation and not going to hell
Pizza,I have concern about the 7 extra books. I notice there are flaws in them, so what should i do?
like
carm.org/errors-apocrypha
it comes down to savlation and not going to hell
Having recently read some of the DC books, and Luther’s prefaces to them, I would respectfully disagree with your cause and effect. Luther had a great fondness for a number of the DC books, not the least of which being 1 Macc. He used them in his writings and preaching long into his life.
The charge that he excluded them was because of doctrine is often repeated, but there is nothing in Sirach, Tobit, Ecclesiasticus, Wisdom, Baruch, 1 Macc. that is particularly offensive to Lutheran ears.
Luther explains his issues in the prefaces. I don’t have access to all of them online, but in my Commentary from LCMS. Just a couple of examples:=pablope;11866444]
Hm…nothing to Lutheran ears…good. But how about to Luther’s own ears? Was there anything offensive to him?
1 MaccabeesIf one could prove from established and reliable histories that the events in Judith really happened, it would be a noble and fine book, and should properly be in the Bible." … Therefore this is a fine, good, holy, useful book, well worth reading by us Christians. For the words spoken by the persons in it should be understood as though they were uttered in the Holy Spirit by a spiritual, holy poet or prophet who, in presenting such persons in his play, preaches to us through them. "
This is another book not to be found in the Hebrew Bible. Yet its words and speech adhere to the same style as the other books of sacred Scripture. This book would not have been unworthy of a place among them, because it is very necessary and helpful for an understanding of chapter 11 of the prophet Daniel. For the fulfilment of Daniel’s prophecy in that chapter, about the abomination and misfortune which was going to befall the people of Israel, is here described—namely, Antiochus Epiphanes—and in much the same way that Daniel [11:29–35] speaks of it: a little help and great persecution by the Gentiles and by false Jews, which is what took place at the time of the Maccabees. This is why the book is good for us Christians to read and to know.
For the same reasons, primarily, that such wonderful books as the Didache and Prayer of Manasseh are not.Well…Jon…then why do Lutherans (not you, Jon, but Lutherans in general)…still have qualms about accepting their canonicity?
At least for us in America, it is long past time to “re-discover” them, and put them back in scripture where they belong. My hope is that the LCMS publication of them, which also includes other apocryphal books not even in the Catholic Canon, is a step in that direction.But then the question is…what happened to those views and what later resulted from those views, isn’t it?
I’m glad to see those quotations from Luther, but if I’m not mistaken he put Judith in the apocrypha in his German translation of the Bible, and I don’t think you could find any Bible, including the original Vulgate, that did that. Jerome and all of the Church Fathers thought Judith was canonical inspired Scripture. What made Luther think otherwise?Luther explains his issues in the prefaces. I don’t have access to all of them online, but in my Commentary from LCMS. Just a couple of examples:
Judith
1 Maccabees
For the same reasons, primarily, that such wonderful books as the Didache and Prayer of Manasseh are not.
But I think you say it well: qualms. Lutherans ought not reject them, as they are an important part of our history and heritage. I’ve learned a great deal by reading them, have found great inspiration in Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus, and The Prayer of Manasseh.
At least for us in America, it is long past time to “re-discover” them, and put them back in scripture where they belong. My hope is that the LCMS publication of them, which also includes other apocryphal books not even in the Catholic Canon, is a step in that direction.
I will never buy a Bible again without them, even 2 Maccabees.
Jon
Luther seems to have issues with the historical accuracy:I’m glad to see those quotations from Luther, but if I’m not mistaken he put Judith in the apocrypha in his German translation of the Bible, and I don’t think you could find any Bible, including the original Vulgate, that did that. Jerome and all of the Church Fathers thought Judith was canonical inspired Scripture. What made Luther think otherwise?
Later on he seems to believe that the “errors” are intentional, so that the reader understands the fictional nature:Against this the first chapter of Judith claims that King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon was the first one to set about conquering this territory; it creates the impression that these events took place before the captivity of the Jews, and before the rise of the Persian monarchy. Philo, on the contrary, says that they happened after the release and return of the Jews from Babylon under King Ahasuerus, at which time the Jews had rebuilt neither the temple nor Jerusalem, and had no government. Thus as to both time and name, error and doubt are still present, so that I cannot reconcile [the accounts] at all.
He later seems to take the same view of Tobit: *** “What was said about the book of Judith may also be said about this book of Tobit. If the events really happened, then it is fine and holy history. But if they are all made up, then it is indeed a truly beautiful, wholesome, and useful fiction or drama by a gifted poet…"***Such an interpretation strikes my fancy, and I think that the poet deliberately and painstakingly inserted the errors of time and name in order to remind the reader that the book should be taken and understood as that kind of a sacred, religious, composition.
Luther seems to have issues with the historical accuracy:
Later on he seems to believe that the “errors” are intentional, so that the reader understands the fictional nature:
Part of the intention of my earlier post was to show that the historical difficulties present in Judith are quite answerable, and are not any more difficult than the historical difficulties in the undisputed books. To the Catholic mind, arguments based on historical difficulties in the disputed books therefore seem to set up a double-standard. Do you see this the same way?Against this the first chapter of Judith claims that King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon was the first one to set about conquering this territory; it creates the impression that these events took place before the captivity of the Jews, and before the rise of the Persian monarchy. Philo, on the contrary, says that they happened after the release and return of the Jews from Babylon under King Ahasuerus, at which time the Jews had rebuilt neither the temple nor Jerusalem, and had no government. Thus as to both time and name, error and doubt are still present, so that I cannot reconcile [the accounts] at all.
I think it is quite possible for God to give divine inspiration to a fictional narrative, which seems to be the category of literature Luther is suggesting Tobit and Judith belong to. Plenty of post-1800s scholars, and possibly some of the Church Fathers, would class Job and Jonah as examples of this. In the Catholic view, divine inspiration extends to all that the sacred author intends to assert as true. In a fictional narrative, the author is not asserting that the historical elements are true, but the moral elements. Because of this, Catholics don’t see the supposedly fictional nature of Judith and Tobit (if they are in fact fictions) as a reason to reject their divine inspiration. What do you think?He later seems to take the same view of Tobit: *** “What was said about the book of Judith may also be said about this book of Tobit. If the events really happened, then it is fine and holy history. But if they are all made up, then it is indeed a truly beautiful, wholesome, and useful fiction or drama by a gifted poet…"***
Authorship, the Hebrew canon, historical accuracy – I think it’s important to defend the Books of the Bible on at least two of those grounds, but I wonder if you are making the Canon too much the subject of individual judgment. I think Augustine and Jerome are examples of Church Fathers who pointed to the Church as the voice of authority on the Canon. Are the three things you mentioned the kinds of things you personally take into consideration in judging what Books belong to the Canon? Is there a place in there for the judgment of the Church?But doctrinal issues are not particularly prevalent. Authorship, the Hebrew canon, historical accuracy seem more the issue, and this is a reflection of the views of some of the Fathers of the Church.
I’m inclined to agree to a point. I think I mentioned this earlier, that accuracy doesn’t necessarily make something canon (such as Didache), and the reverse can also be true.=dmar198;11868624]The intention of my earlier post was to show that the historical difficulties present in Judith are quite answerable, and are not any more difficult than the historical difficulties in the undisputed books. To the Catholic mind, arguments based on historical difficulties in the disputed books therefore seem to set up a double-standard. Do you see this the same way? I think it is quite possible for God to give divine inspiration to a fictional narrative, which seems to be the category of literature Luther is suggesting Tobit and Judith belong to. Plenty of post-1800s scholars, and possibly some of the Church Fathers, would class Job and Jonah as examples of this. In the Catholic view, divine inspiration extends to all that the sacred author intends to assert as true. In a fictional narrative, it would not be the historical elements that the author is asserting, but the moral elements. Because of this, Catholics don’t see the supposedly fictional nature of Judith and Tobit (if they are in fact fictions) as a reason to reject their divine inspiration. What do you think?
I agree, though it isn’t until Trent that the disputes in question about certain books are, at least for those in communion with the Bishop or Rome, are silenced. The Lutheran Reformers I think intentionally do not specify a closed canon as Trent does, leaving the discussion open for us, while at the same time, our practice does place greater weight on the undisputed books.Authorship, the Hebrew canon, historical accuracy – I wonder if this doesn’t make the Canon too much the subject of individual judgment. Are those three considerations the kinds of things you personally take into consideration in judging what Books belong to the Canon? Is there a place in there for the judgment of the Church? I think Augustine and Jerome are examples of Church Fathers who pointed to the Church as the voice of authority on the Canon.
As a Lutheran, do you think an ecumenical council would have the authority to decide the Canon?I’m inclined to agree to a point. I think I mentioned this earlier, that accuracy doesn’t necessarily make something canon (such as Didache), and the reverse can also be true.
I agree, though it isn’t until Trent that the disputes in question about certain books are, at least for those in communion with the Bishop or Rome, are silenced. The Lutheran Reformers I think intentionally do not specify a closed canon as Trent does, leaving the discussion open for us, while at the same time, our practice does place greater weight on the undisputed books.
Jon
Matt Slick is as sniveling and disingenuous as one can get when it come to Catholicism.I have concern about the 7 extra books. I notice there are flaws in them, so what should i do?
like
carm.org/errors-apocrypha
it comes down to savlation and not going to hell
First, setting aside what is and is not an ecumenical council, I think clearly, for the Catholic Church in communion with the Bishop of Rome, Trent clearly sets a canon of scripture in a way never done prior, as evidenced by the fact that up to and even during the council, Catholics could freely debate and dispute books.As a Lutheran, do you think an ecumenical council would have the authority to decide the Canon?
Well I think that’s very thoughtful and wise of you. I hope that in the future more Lutherans will come to agree with that, and learn why. Have you considered starting up a Church history course at your local church to better inform other Lutherans on matters like this? And, on the subject of history, do you think St. Irenaeus had the right idea of the authority of the Roman Church in his book Against Heresies Book III? What is your interpretation of his remarks?First, setting aside what is and is not an ecumenical council, I think clearly, for the Catholic Church in communion with the Bishop of Rome, Trent clearly sets a canon of scripture in a way never done prior, as evidenced by the fact that up to and even during the council, Catholics could freely debate and dispute books.
Were there an ecumenical council, which were to include EO bishops and patriarchs, and they determined together a canon, I would be inclined to accept it, just as I do the 7 early councils.
In short, yes.
Jon
I am, by no measure, capable of teaching a class such as that.Well I think that’s very thoughtful and wise of you. I hope that in the future more Lutherans will come to agree with that, and learn why. Have you considered starting up a Church history course at your local church to better inform other Lutherans on matters like this? And, on the subject of history, do you think St. Irenaeus had the right idea of the authority of the Roman Church in his book Against Heresies Book III? What is your interpretation of his remarks?
BTW I think it’s important to point out that the Eastern Orthodox do accept the Deuterocanonical books, so an ecumenical decision about them is not only possible, but in a nonconciliar way it is already there.