D
dmar198
Guest
“on the subject of history, do you think St. Irenaeus had the right idea of the authority of the Roman Church in his book Against Heresies Book III? What is your interpretation of his remarks?”
That’s very humbling, thank you. One thing that I think is important to note is that, before Trent, there were the earlier Councils of Rome, Hippo, and Carthage that also made important statements about the Canon in the late fourth century. I know they didn’t bind the faithful to adhere to their decisions with an anathema, but their decisions still settled the mind of all Christianity for the next one thousand one hundred and fifty years. To the Catholic mind, that’s definitive evidence for the Deuterocanonicals because we don’t believe the Holy Spirit would leave all Christians in error for over a thousand years until Luther decided to change things. Catholics and EOs get to fall back on the Holy Spirit’s protection of the Church; now I know you’re not saying the Deuterocanonicals are definitely uninspired, but there are plenty of Protestants who do, and for them, they seem to be saying that all Christians were unanimously in error for over a thousand years, up until Luther’s time. Do you have an opinion on that?I agree, at least in part, with your assessment regarding the DC’s.