A question about modern Judaism

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, I don’t argue that the Romans had their own agenda for destroying Jerusalem and the Temple. However, it was God that allowed it and used another empire to carry out His judgments.

He did similar things in the OT, when the Babylonians carried off the northern tribes, for example. The prophecies were fulfilled nonetheless.
From the Old Testament …
The Reason for the Destructions and Exiling - is DisObedience to God
God always protected Obedience … And doesn’t spare His Rod wrt DisObedience
Why? For the purpose of bringing those who have strayed on back to Him
_

And your friend is entitled to not have Faith in Jesus,
and think that we’re brothers in Faith…
Of course he is. But do you think he is a real Jew?

Do you think he is responsible for the death of Jesus?
And Faith in Jesus distinguished and very widely separated
the Jews who accepted Messiah from those Jews who did not?
Of course. Over time it makes one group turn into Christians, and the other remains Jewish.

It’s better to know what they think and what their views are with relation to God and Salvation.
Over the years of being a Jew on Christian boards, I’ve found that fixated people tend to get their just rewards. 🙂

likewise modern Judaism as in the religion not the ethnicity is different from ancient Judaism IMHO, yet still fully Jewish, does that make sense?
I’m behind on reading this thread, so this may have been said.

But I wanted to point out that as far as Judaism goes, God established the “Jewish People”, not a “religion”. But he instituted commandments for the people to live by, which obviously included matters involving worship. So this is why I don’t think it can be said, as some have, that it’s a “different Judaism” after the second Temple. Yes, the practices in Judaism have changed and adapted, as the thread has well established, but Judaism itself is the same. This gets a little philosophical, but the dichotomy between the Jewish “ethnicity” and “religion” is really fundamentally a false one. These are really one and the same, even if religious practices are not the same. Judaism is more a peoplehood than a faith, and I think that’s what causes a lot of confusion when we try to look Judaism and it’s historical development through Christian eyes. We tend to use “religion” and “faith” interchangeably as Christians, but that doesn’t work with Judaism. In Judaism religion/peoplehood would be more interchangeable.

Last edited:
Jewish “ethnicity” and “religion” is really fundamentally a false one. These are really one and the same, even if religious practices are not the same. Judaism is more a peoplehood than a faith, and I think that’s what causes a lot of confusion when we try to look Judaism and it’s historical development through Christian eyes. We tend to use “religion” and “faith” interchangeably as Christians, but that doesn’t work with Judaism. In Judaism religion/peoplehood would be more interchangeable.
This terminology falls apart when one considers that Judaism accepts converts, you cannot accept a convert into an ethnicity therefore one must separate and make distinctions between ethnic Jews and Judaism as a religion.
No one here (to my knowledge) is arguing that ethnic Jews of today are not the same as ethnic Jews of the distant past, but there is definitely a distinction between religious Judaism and Jewish Ethnicity.

This terminology falls apart when one considers that Judaism accepts converts, you cannot accept a convert into an ethnicity therefore one must separate and make distinctions between ethnic Jews and Judaism as a religion.
False. Erase the term “ethnicity” from your description of Judaism and replace it with “peoplehood” or more accurately “people of Israel”. “Ethnicity” is technically inaccurate, even though it is inherited. There are many “ethnicities” that make up the Jewish people. Askenazic Jews who are French, polish, Russian, German, etc by blood. Sephardic Jews who are Spanish, Portuguese, North African. Mizrahi Jews from Israel (pre-nation), Iran, etc. There are Jewish communities that have been in China, India, and Ethiopia since the early diasporas. Yes, judaism accepts converts, but it’s more akin to joining a nation than a faith. Technically, it’s being accepted into a certain covenant with God. Someone can go through the conversion process and become part of the People of Israel. And just like historical Judaism, if a woman converts to Judaism, her Jewish “ethnicity” will be inherited by her children, and and extend through the generations via the mothers line exactly the same as someone tracing their maternal lineage back to the Twelve Tribes. And yes, they are fully Jewish. This is where your terminology falls apart. If the converts children are not practicing, they are still “ethnic” Jews. Judaism IS inherited, absolutely.

So you really honestly cannot distinguish between “ethnic” Jews and “religious” Jews. You can only distinguish between “observant” (aka practicing) Jews and “non-observant” Jews. You are calling non-observant Jews “ethnic” Jews, which is technically incorrect. We go along with it because it helps make things easier to understand, but in this case it’s causing confusion and should be corrected. I’m not making this up, and arguing for the sake of arguing. I’m trying to explain how it actually works.

We are a ‘people’, not a ‘race’.
I did not say you were a race, I said Jews are an ethnicity, are they not? If my terminology is insensitive I apologize, but I do realize that Jews are not a race and thought that the correct terminology was ethnicity.
Technically, it’s being accepted into a certain covenant with God.
Enter into a covenant with God = Religion, am I missing something here.

Your trying to claim that you cannot separate Judaism as a religion and the Ethnicity (peoplehood, or whatever the correct term is) of Jews, this is the equivalent of someone who enters into Rastafarianism and is white but wishes to identify as Afro-Caribbean, then going around saying that they are Afro-Caribbean, or someone who is black and starts practicing Santeria and saying that they are Hispanic or Latin, yet not having any Spanish heritage, do you see the absurdity here?

do you see the absurdity here?
It might seem so, but regarding this matter it’s helpful to put Judaism in its Middle-Eastern cultural context.

The issue merely has to do with a different way of understanding the concept of “peoplehood”. If you put the Jews in their correct cultural context as a Middle-Eastern group, you’ll find that the equivalence of religion with ethnicity is not unique to Judaism at all. In fact, the Jews are only one of many Middle-Eastern groups that double as both a religion and a nation. Take a look at any demographic map of the Middle East and you’ll notice a relatively high incidence of ethno-religious communities compared to other regions of the world: Druze, Yezidis, Maronites, Copts, and the Jews themselves, among others. This is because in the Middle East, religion and ethnicity do tend to be interchangeable in many cases.

Does this help? To summarize, if you’re considering the Jews on their own you might find it strange or one-of-a-kind to be both a religion and an ethnic group, but if you place them back into their proper cultural milieu you’ll notice that it’s not really something unique to Judaism. The issue is merely a difference in the understanding of “peoplehood”.

Last edited:
do you see the absurdity here?
Lol dude, you need to do some reading on this. Here are Five books I recommend:
  • Genesis
  • Exodus
  • Leviticus
  • Numbers
  • Deuteronomy
If you still think it’s absurd, you should probably take it up with the author of those books.

I can give more reading recommendations if you need them. Maybe read Ruth after those first five.

You came here with some initial questions, and seems like your intent is more to make a point than to actually learn the answers, which have been given to you. I’m really not interested in debating with you. There’s actually nothing to debate about this, regardless of how absurd you may think it is.

To summarize, if you’re considering the Jews on their own you might find it strange or one-of-a-kind to be both a religion and an ethnic group, but if you place them back into their proper cultural milieu you’ll notice that it’s not really something unique to Judaism. The issue is merely a difference in the understanding of “peoplehood”.
So is it ok that a white Anglo European who converts to Judaism, to identify as an ethnic Jew?, this would almost seem (in my mind) insulting to an ethnic Jew, especially say a Holocaust survivor, but perhaps I am wrong, I have been before and surely will be again.
You came here with some initial questions, and seems like your intent is more to make a point than to actually learn the answers, which have been given to you. I’m really not interested in debating with you.
I have already stated above earlier in the thread that I have learned the answers to my initial question, if you read carefully through the comments of this thread you would have seen this, you come back on late in the game to open a whole new can of worms and are trying to say that one cannot recognize the religion of Judaism whilst separating the ethnicity of Jews, no need to insult me with your rude comments when I have openly admitted in this thread, that I am ignorant of all that fully encompasses Judaism, and am myself looking to learn.
But as stated above it seems absurd to me and IMHO it seems as though it would be insulting to an ethnic Jew, especially say a Holocaust survivor for a white Anglo European to claim Jewish ethnicity after converting to Judaism, as I recall Seinfeld even poked fun at this, but I digress, I admit ignorance and my personal opinion may be mistaken.

I admit ignorance and my personal opinion may be mistaken.
You’re not the first person here to invent Judaisms to talk about.

Rather than ramble on, why not discover for yourself what the Jewish world says on the subject. Google can be your friend.

have already stated above earlier in the thread that I have learned the answers to my initial question
I did read those posts. I read your explanations also, Which made it clear that you actually did not learn the answers to your initial question. I’m not trying to insult you, but your claims of “absurdity” are themselves, insulting to anyone who believes the Bible is Sacred Scripture. Try phrasing things differently next time. You have a tendency to state things as final, then go back and correct by saying it’s only your own personal opinion. Just take more care in your words in the beginning, and things will go a lot smoother. Also, it does get frustrating when someone appears to continually throw out the truth with the bath water, because they’d rather believe their own made-up reality. Food for thought.

Last edited:
So is it ok that a white Anglo European who converts to Judaism, to identify as an ethnic Jew?, t
If he wants to, sure! I’m not sure how it would be insulting to the “ethnic” Jew, given that a white Anglo European Jewish convert is also an “ethnic” Jew. The lines between ethnicity and religion are more blurry in Judaism and other ethno-religious groups. This is why I prefer to use the term “nation”, although I also use “ethnicity” when I know that the person I am speaking with understands what I mean when I say “ethnicity” in an ethno-religious context.

We have a perfect example of a white man joining an ethno-religious community right here on CAF, actually! @Phillip_Rolfes is an American (I think) of German-Irish extraction who is a convert to the Maronite Church. Can he identify as an ethnic Maronite? If he wants to, sure! But then he’d have to speak Lebanese, identify with Lebanese Maronite culture, and make a conscious decision to consider himself part of the group…which is not a requirement to be Maronite. It’s really all up to the individual. The thing about this is that it’s a fascinating interaction between two worlds and their understanding of peoplehood-which leads to very individual circumstances!

To return to Judaism, it’s important to note that Judaism is very difficult to convert to and the process is really quite frustrating. No one (for the most part) converts to Judaism unless they have a vested interest in becoming part of the Jewish people; in other words, in becoming “ethnic” Jews. Judaism also has various ethnic divisions. A white Anglo European, therefore, would become a British Jew or English Jew.

Last edited:
I did read those posts. I read your explanations also, Which made it clear that you actually did not learn the answers to your initial question. I’m not trying to insult you, but your claims of “absurdity” are themselves, insulting to anyone who believes the Bible is Sacred Scripture. Try phrasing things differently next time. You have a tendency to state things as final, then go back and correct by saying it’s only your own personal opinion. Just take more care in your words in the beginning, and things will go a lot smoother. Also, it does get frustrating when someone appears to continually throw out the truth with the bath water, because they’d rather believe their own made-up reality. Food for thought.
I’m working off of a 3rd grade education here brother, I am self taught and trying to learn here and now, I have always had trouble correctly writing out my thoughts, opinions and understandings (probably due to my poor education) if you read throughout my comments in this thread and others throughout the form you will see that I have a hard time properly phrasing or wording things, I myself come from an ethnic group so I fully understand and relate to others that come from ethnic backgrounds, so I always attempt to be sensitive to others in this regard, yet I have not attempted to personally insult anyone here and I would appreciate the same courtesy, No need to insult those attempting to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back