A question about modern Judaism

Status
Not open for further replies.
When He said that to Pilate, He only meant those present, He did not mean Jews of all time, like they were cursed forever
Exactly - And here’s some Catholic Teachings on that.

As Holy Scripture testifies, Jerusalem did not recognize the time of her visitation, nor did the Jews in large number, accept the Gospel; indeed not a few opposed its spreading.

True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ; still, what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today

Last edited:
I agree that the practice of Temple Judaism is different from Post Temple Judaism but only as far as Temple practice goes. All other practices are the same. Same Sabbath, same High Holy Days, same minor holidays, same studying of Torah, same prayers. Calling it a different Judaism is a bit of a stretch. Calling it somewhat modified is more honest, IMHO.
Modified version of Judaism, different version of Judaism, however you would like to word it is fine by me, what I am saying is just like Protestants are no longer Catholic yet they are still fully Christian, likewise modern Judaism as in the religion not the ethnicity is different from ancient Judaism IMHO, yet still fully Jewish, does that make sense?

Show me in Catholic Teachings where it says we must respect any Jew who was responsible for the Murder of Messiah?

The Jews we respect are the True Jews/Sons of Abraham…
Those who Obey(ed) Moses and God…

NOT those who disobeyed Moses and therefore God
I have posted the Church’s teaching. No Jew alive today (or since 33AD) is responsible for the death of the Messiah. That is certain Church teaching. To suggest otherwise is simply anti-semitism. The Jews of today are true Jews. To suggest otherwise is simply anti-semitism.

I have posted the Church’s teaching. .
So Have I … Word for Word from Catholic Magisterium!

As Holy Scripture testifies, Jerusalem did not recognize the time of her visitation, nor did the Jews in large number, accept the Gospel; indeed not a few opposed its spreading.

True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ; still, what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today

Last edited:
So you acknowledge that the Jews of today cannot be blamed for Christ’s death. Why have you been insinuating otherwise?

Are you also willing to accept the Church’s teaching that the Jews of today are our elder brothers in faith and that they are to be respected? Why do you insist they are not true Jews, if you accept the Church’s teaching on Judaism?

So you acknowledge that the Jews of today cannot be blamed for Christ’s death. Why have you been insinuating otherwise?
I’ve not done any such insinuation! This is beginning to sound anti-Christian
Or is the problem - mis-comprehension?

HOW many times must I post what is True!

Last edited:
Show me in Catholic Teachings where it says we must respect any Jew who was responsible for the Murder of Messiah?

The Jews we respect are the True Jews/Sons of Abraham…
Those who Obey(ed) Moses and God…

NOT those who disobeyed Moses and therefore God
Miscomprehension?? What is this quote from you supposed to mean, if not that Jews today are not “True Jews” or that they were responsible for the “Murder of the Messiah”? If you were only referring to a handful of Jews 2,000 years ago, then why are you attributing those things to Jews of today?

If you were only referring to a handful of Jews 2,000 years ago, then why are you attributing those things to Jews of today?
Please to Show us all where I’ve attributed Jesus’ Crucifixion to Jews of Today?

Please to Show us all where I’ve attributed Jesus’ Crucifixion to Jews of Today?
I just quoted your post, which certainly seemed to suggest that. This entire thread is about modern Judaism. You posted that you don’t have to respect those that “Murdered the Messiah” and said they were not “True Jews.” So you tell us, what the heck did that mean? You are protesting respecting a handful of people that died 2,000 years ago?

Maybe I misunderstand you, but you sure seem to be saying that Jews of today are not True Jews. If I have that wrong I certainly apologize, but you could clear it up by simply saying that the Jews of today are not responsible for Jesus’ death, and that Jews of today are true Jews. You could even say you agree with the Church that the Jews of today are our elder brothers in faith. That would clear it up nicely.

I just quoted your post, which certainly seemed to suggest that.
That 'certainly seemed to suggest" is mis-comprehension.

You did misunderstand me.

And… It’s understandable from the POV of, e.g., Jesus Christ

My brothers? In brief

Jesus’ Mother and Brothers​

46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

That 'certainly seemed to suggest" is mis-comprehension.

You did misunderstand me.
OK. Then why will you not just say in straight language what you mean? Just in case anyone reading your posts misconstrues them, why can’t you simply say that you agree that Jews are not responsible for Jesus’ death, that Jews today are true Jews, and the Church teaches that Jews are our elder brothers in faith that should be treated with respect. You say you are being misunderstood, but you won’t make yourself clear. Why not?

why can’t you simply say that you agree that Jews are not responsible for Jesus’ death
Answer this First: Do you accept as True what this following says?
  1. True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ; still, what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today

Answer this First: Do you accept as True what this following says?
  1. True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ; still, what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today
So this is just a game to you. A dangerous game to flirt with anti-semitic tropes.

Nonetheless, I am happy to agree with the Church on this point. I do accept that some Jews in Jesus’ time pressed for His death, but that their guilt is their own and cannot be held against all Jews at that time, or against any Jews today.

So do you accept that the Jews of today are not responsible for Jesus’ death, that the Jews of today are true Jews, and that Jews of today deserve our respect as our elder brothers in faith? I have played your game, but you have been refusing to give a straight answer on those points for days. Are you ready to answer?

So this is just a game to you. A dangerous game to flirt with anti-semitic tropes.

Nonetheless, I am happy to agree with the Church on this point. I do accept that some Jews in Jesus’ time pressed for His death, but that their guilt is their own and cannot be held against all Jews at that time, or against any Jews today.

So do you accept that the Jews of today are not responsible for Jesus’ death, that the Jews of today are true Jews, and that Jews of today deserve our respect as our elder brothers in faith? I have played your game, but you have been refusing to give a straight answer on those points for days. Are you ready to answer?
No playing any ‘game’ whatsoever, TMC.

And when I hear “anti-Semitic” hurled at me - I oft-tend to think, 'Anti-Christian"

Only Jews with Faith IN JESUS are my Jewish brothers in FAITH!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW MANY TIMES UNTIL IT SINKS IN?

**THIS IS WHAT I ACCEPT AND BELIEVE! **
DO YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS BEING SAID?

Last edited:
You continue to refuse to say what you actually believe, which (along with your not-so-subtle statements) leaves me with all too clear an understanding. I am not interesting in continuing to play your game. Have a good night.

You continue to refuse to say what you actually believe
False… .

I continue to POST what I actually believe…

And it bugs you?

I continue to POST what I actually believe…
I have a friend who is a Reform Rabbi. A nice guy. He doesn’t have faith in Jesus.

Is he a real Jew? Is he your brother in faith? Is he responsible for Jesus’ death?

Yes or no answers to those questions will go a long way in helping me understand what you’re trying to say here.

a Reform Rabbi.

He doesn’t have faith in Jesus.

Is he your brother in faith?
I’ve no problem giving answers to your questions
and I’ve answered many questions already…

And… I’m not playing any Yes or No game.

Faith is Jesus is a very specific / unique Faith…

It’s what separated Jews who accepted Him from Jews who did not.

It even seems to me that any without that Faith - whether Jew or Gentile,
does not really know what it actually is all about - in spite of attempts
within the New Testament to Teach about it.

Whatever…

Jesus is the eldest brother of all who have Faith in Him, Jesus.

Does that answer that question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back