A question for wives... about husbands

  • Thread starter Thread starter Debora123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidently, out of curiosity, since hearing back from the air force, has your husband’s behavior changed again?
He has been in an exceptionally good mood since Monday morning when we found out. He’s very cheery and talkative now.

I think the reason why he was being more withdrawn was due to stress and anticipation/anxiety to hear back from the AF.

He didn’t come out and say “you know Debora, the reason why I haven’t been very receptive to your conversations is because I am very stressed about work, money, and on top of that am anxious to hear back from the military.” I think it was a subconscious thing. He knew he was stressed out, but wasn’t able to pin point that that was the reason for him having been more quiet/mellow the past couple of months.

Men are normally not as in tune with their own emotions as much as women tend to be. 😃
 
For the record, I wasn’t talking about “him not meeting her needs” I wasn’t talking anything about that.

I was talking about him shutting down communication over and over. THAT was the wrong part.
 
He has been in an exceptionally good mood since Monday morning when we found out. He’s very cheery and talkative now.

I think the reason why he was being more withdrawn was due to stress and anticipation/anxiety to hear back from the AF.

He didn’t come out and say “you know Debora, the reason why I haven’t been very receptive to your conversations is because I am very stressed about work, money, and on top of that am anxious to hear back from the military.” I think it was a subconscious thing. He knew he was stressed out, but wasn’t able to pin point that that was the reason for him having been more quiet/mellow the past couple of months.

Men are normally not as in tune with their own emotions as much as women tend to be. 😃
it’s called the (deep deep voice)…MAN CAVE…
 
Let me point out something to you: we are ONLY talking to Debora here. It’s rather impossible to give advice to her husband for his part since he is not here discussing the matter with us. Surely you can see, then, why most of the discussion is tailored to what Debora can do to analyze the situation and begin to remedy it. In fact, we can’t even really tell her what to say to her husband, because “someone online told me that you NEED to consider my needs and talk to me” is an argument that has probably helped no situation ever.

Second, human behaviors have root causes. A guy who is generally a good, caring guy does not just wake up and decide that he’s going to be cold and withdrawn… there’s SOME motivating factor there. Just telling a guy in that position that he’s wrong for not caring about your needs is not going to make that root cause go away, nor is it going to promote a charitable satisfaction of their issue. Finding a means TO understanding what is causing a change in behavior, however, might allow that cause to be isolated and delt with in a constructive way. For example, if the root cause was stress over finances and possible rejection of a job, it could be as simple as meeting the emotional need of feeling needed and accepted to open the guy back up to talking… in that case, telling the guy that “You’re wonderful and I’m impressed by you whatever the air force decides” will go much farther than “Someone online said you’re wrong to not be talking to me, so what is your problem”

His behavior is a response to some sort of stimulus… and he may be responding poorly, but it’s a bit presumptuous to say that he’s wrong without understanding what the motivating cause for his change in behavior is.

Furthermore, you’re wrong that the ONLY information we have is in the OP… precisely because Debora has chosen to come back several times to defend her husband when people have blown his behavior out of proportion AND when some of us have been members of this forum for SEVEN YEARS and happen to have seen debora speak highly of her husband in the past. You see, some of us know that her husband is a decent guy and that this behavior is out of character for him. It’s not your fault that you don’t have that historical perspective, but stating that advice is cowtowing to the guy who’s simply flat out wrong is, well, let’s just say it lacks perspective on what Debora has previously revealed about her spouse.
I’m going to ask you to read my initial post again, as it seems you did not actually read what I wrote, but instead assigned some bizarre sideways meaning to a few of my words

I ALREADY SAID that I realize all we have is her side, and she can’t control him. Already acknowledged. Done.

I DID NOT SAY in any way this was about him not meeting her needs. At all. Nope.

I DID say, that the wrong part was him shutting down communication. That is still wrong. As I said in my later post. Once or twice occasionally, understandable. Everybody needs cave time, everybody has bad days. But continually, that is plain wrong. Its stifling and disrespectful, and leaves the other person in a horrible position.
 
I’m going to ask you to read my initial post again, as it seems you did not actually read what I wrote, but instead assigned some bizarre sideways meaning to a few of my words

I ALREADY SAID that I realize all we have is her side, and she can’t control him. Already acknowledged. Done.

I DID NOT SAY in any way this was about him not meeting her needs. At all. Nope.

I DID say, that the wrong part was him shutting down communication. That is still wrong. As I said in my later post. Once or twice occasionally, understandable. Everybody needs cave time, everybody has bad days. But continually, that is plain wrong. Its stifling and disrespectful, and leaves the other person in a horrible position.
OKKKKKK…everybody…BREATH!!!

…in…out…in…out…in…out…

now don’t you all feel better?

why are we getting all heated up? it’s not personal…we’re all strangers…who cares if someone disagrees with us???

really???
 
OKKKKKK…everybody…BREATH!!!

…in…out…in…out…in…out…

now don’t you all feel better?

why are we getting all heated up? it’s not personal…we’re all strangers…who cares if someone disagrees with us???

really???
I’m not heated up. I’m being clear, because I’m my statements are being twisted, so apparently words are being missed.
 
Lucy, I completely disagree with your perspective on this simply b/c it would not work in my marriage. Is it not ok for Aecton to disagree with you as well?

There are many ways to cook an egg just as there are many ways to bring about communication in marriage. There is no right or wrong, so long as there is no verbal abuse.

You do what works in your marriage and we do what works in our marriage. No judgements are necessary on either spectrum.
Why would someone have to agree with me? If someone puts an idea forth and I disagree with it and I offer another idea out than we are debating something. Kind of how it works around here. 😉

Aecton was disagreeing with things I never said. He wasn’t even close. Of course, I am going to point that out. Even if Aecton was disagreeing with things that I actually said and I offered another argument than we would be exchanging ideas or having a debate.
 
I’m going to ask you to read my initial post again, as it seems you did not actually read what I wrote, but instead assigned some bizarre sideways meaning to a few of my words

I ALREADY SAID that I realize all we have is her side, and she can’t control him. Already acknowledged. Done.

I DID NOT SAY in any way this was about him not meeting her needs. At all. Nope.

I DID say, that the wrong part was him shutting down communication. That is still wrong. As I said in my later post. Once or twice occasionally, understandable. Everybody needs cave time, everybody has bad days. But continually, that is plain wrong. Its stifling and disrespectful, and leaves the other person in a horrible position.
I feel your frustration. The accusations around here are ridiculous. If someone writes a few paragraphs it would be nice if the person who thinks they disagree with you would actually read it.
 
Why would someone have to agree with me? If someone puts an idea forth and I disagree with it and I offer another idea out than we are debating something. Kind of how it works around here. 😉

Aecton was disagreeing with things I never said. He wasn’t even close. Of course, I am going to point that out. Even if Aecton was disagreeing with things that I actually said and I offered another argument than we would be exchanging ideas or having a debate.
You debating style comes across differently in writing.
 
What I find interesting though is the premise that since men tend to have some characteristics and women *tend *to have other characteristics, then they must be universal.

I’m introverted, and sometimes I don’t feel like talking. I guess lots of times I don’t feel like talking. I’m not stonewalling (which is not a nice behavior by the way) I’m just being quiet.

I assume in the vast differences among men, there are some who are introverted and don’t say much sometimes. It doesn’t mean that the wife has nagged him into silence.🤷
I’m very introverted too.
 
As compared to how I talk in person? :rolleyes:
Your getting personal not me.
I’m not getting into this with you on a public forum with strangers. If you are offended by anything you feel I’ve implied…I am truly sorry.
 
I’m not getting into this with you on a public forum with strangers. If you are offended by anything you feel I’ve implied…I am truly sorry.
🙂 I’m not offended but I’m sorry If I have offended you. This stuff isn’t worth getting upset over.
 
What I find interesting though is the premise that since men tend to have some characteristics and women *tend *to have other characteristics, then they must be universal.

I’m introverted, and sometimes I don’t feel like talking. I guess lots of times I don’t feel like talking. I’m not stonewalling (which is not a nice behavior by the way) I’m just being quiet.

I assume in the vast differences among men, there are some who are introverted and don’t say much sometimes. It doesn’t mean that the wife has nagged him into silence.🤷
I’m the quiet one in our marriage too. It’s not that I’m really introverted but my husband is the most extroverted person I know. If hes not talking to me, he’s on the phone, talking to the neighbors, talking to the refs on the tv etc. Sometimes there’s not much left to say because he’s already covered it.🤷
 
Thank you for the words of wisdom ladies. Is this a common thing in marriages then? For the guy to be more quiet and seem more “distant”?
It gets worse the more you prod him. Most guys don’t just talk for the sake of it, like we women do. If they talk to each other, it’s in the context of acting, such as doing a sport (golf!), or fixing something, or making something. Try asking him to go for a walk or something. Don’t try to make conversation with him. You are already married, you don’t have to try so hard. If you’re dying for conversation, call a friend.

I can’t remember the ratio of words used per day, men v. women but it’s something like 30,000 v. 3,000. Yes, it’s that glaring a difference. Language is how women feel connected, and it’s not that important for men.
 
I can’t remember the ratio of words used per day, men v. women but it’s something like 30,000 v. 3,000. Yes, it’s that glaring a difference. Language is how women feel connected, and it’s not that important for men.
With my wife it’s about 3,000,000 to 3,000…lol

Another issue with a lot of guys is that they tend to think things through before they speak when dealing with certain situations, whereas women will just speak whatever is on their mind.
 
With my wife it’s about 3,000,000 to 3,000…lol

Another issue with a lot of guys is that they tend to think things through before they speak when dealing with certain situations, whereas women will just speak whatever is on their mind.
We figure out what we’re talking about AS we’re talking!

:rolleyes:😉
 
He has been in an exceptionally good mood since Monday morning when we found out. He’s very cheery and talkative now.

I think the reason why he was being more withdrawn was due to stress and anticipation/anxiety to hear back from the AF.

He didn’t come out and say “you know Debora, the reason why I haven’t been very receptive to your conversations is because I am very stressed about work, money, and on top of that am anxious to hear back from the military.” I think it was a subconscious thing. He knew he was stressed out, but wasn’t able to pin point that that was the reason for him having been more quiet/mellow the past couple of months.

Men are normally not as in tune with their own emotions as much as women tend to be. 😃
I just read your previous response - so you are going to be an Air Force wife…Wow, that’s a huge lifestyle change. All the best to your hubby and you! Do either of you have family in the military? Did you mention being an Army brat at some point?
 
To bad the husbands can’t figure out what their wives are saying while they’re doing this…lol
Just turn that switch on your ears that makes you go deaf. Then switch it back on after about 20 minute of babbling and catch the last 5 minutes or so, we will have talked our way out of the problem and you can add something brilliant at the last minute.

😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top