M
MissRose73
Guest
My father is Catholic but he doesn’t practice his faith. My mother who does practice her faith only asks him to go for Christmas, Easter, and any special family occasions like funerals etc.
No, it doesn’t. My husband doesn’t attend Mass. He isn’t Catholic and he doesn’t believe in God. Going to Mass on a regular basis would be hypocritical, don’t you think?How do we explain to our children why daddy does not want to go to church? Everything we say comes out as a weak excuse in their ears.
Not necessarily. He could go because it’s important for family unity. My mother and my brothers and sisters attended synagogue on the high holidays with my father before he converted from Judaism a few years ago.No, it doesn’t. My husband doesn’t attend Mass. He isn’t Catholic and he doesn’t believe in God. Going to Mass on a regular basis would be hypocritical, don’t you think?
I imagine we all work these things out. DH is not Catholic but believes in God. He agreed upfront to raise the children Catholic. Which means not to undermine this by silently stating that mommy is wrong and not being supportive.No, it doesn’t. My husband doesn’t attend Mass. He isn’t Catholic and he doesn’t believe in God. Going to Mass on a regular basis would be hypocritical, don’t you think?
I imagine we all work these things out. DH is not Catholic but believes in God. He agreed upfront to raise the children Catholic. Which means not to undermine this by silently stating that mommy is wrong and not being supportive.
IMO, there is nothing hypocritical by holding up his end of the bargain. But then perhaps in a situation as yours you never made an agreement to stick to.
So I said, no, my husband’s excuse doesn’t sound weak. My husband is an atheist. Although he attends Mass about 5 - 7 times a year, it very well could be considered hypocritical if he attended every week.How do we explain to our children why daddy does not want to go to church? Everything we say comes out as a weak excuse in their ears.
Although honestly seeking out whether or not God exists is a moral imperative, converting or pretending to be a believer when one is honestly convinced God does not exist would be hypocritical. That doesn’t meant that it is hypocritical to attend Mass. Catholics do not require belief as a condition of even attending, so mere attendance does not imply belief. An atheist who comes to Mass to support his wife is not a hypocrite, but rather exhibits great generosity of heart. I would think most Catholics would see it that way, and also see such behavior as an indictment on the Catholics who say they know the truth and yet do not come.No, it doesn’t. My husband doesn’t attend Mass. He isn’t Catholic and he doesn’t believe in God. Going to Mass on a regular basis would be hypocritical, don’t you think?
The Church does teach that while those who fail to recognize and worship God out of honest invincible ignorance do suffer from their lack of faith, they are not culpable for their predicament if their lack of faith is not due to an act of their own will.It is a sad statistic - all you have to do is look around to see the majority of husbands/men are simply not attending church. It took years for my hubby to go to church with me and our children - he still does not pray much, go to confession, etc. but it’s better than nothing.
We are all his children and need the Eucharist to sustain us. I pray for their souls, God knows, in a male-dominated society (in some respects), men should be in love with God and his church, not just the women. Who else will be the example to our children? How do we explain to our children why daddy does not want to go to church? Everything we say comes out as a weak excuse in their ears.
IV. ERRONEOUS JUDGMENT
1790 A human being must always obey the certain judgment of his conscience. If he were deliberately to act against it, he would condemn himself. Yet it can happen that moral conscience remains in ignorance and makes erroneous judgments about acts to be performed or already committed.
1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man "takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin."59 In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits.
1792 Ignorance of Christ and his Gospel, bad example given by others, enslavement to one’s passions, assertion of a mistaken notion of autonomy of conscience, rejection of the Church’s authority and her teaching, lack of conversion and of charity: these can be at the source of errors of judgment in moral conduct.
1793 If - on the contrary - the ignorance is invincible, or the moral subject is not responsible for his erroneous judgment, the evil committed by the person cannot be imputed to him. It remains no less an evil, a privation, a disorder. One must therefore work to correct the errors of moral conscience.
1794 A good and pure conscience is enlightened by true faith, for charity proceeds at the same time "from a pure heart and a good conscience and sincere faith."60
As for who will be an example, while it is best to have both parents be examples, I have found that there are many good Catholic men who are an example to our boys, since my husband is not Catholic. They see the example of the priest, the sacristans, lectors, choir members, extraordinary ministers, the Knights of Columbus, and the many men who not only go to Mass but who aslo volunteer to keep the parish running. It is when the Catholic adults of the parish fail to live the faith that the children of the parish take notice. When one parent is not Catholic, these models take on extra importance, but IMHO they are very important even when one’s parents both practice.The more a correct conscience prevails, the more do persons and groups turn aside from blind choice and try to be guided by objective standards of moral conduct.61
This is unfortunate and not the way it should be. Obviously in interreligious marriages where the husband is not Catholic it’s quite difficult for him to do much more than back mom up on everything. How can he take the lead in raising the kids in the faith if he does not believe himself? Sure he can provide some basic education and take the lead in areas where the faiths are lined up (like in a Protestant/Catholic marriage for instance, he can lead on a number of subjects) but it’s not the optimal solution.At least for family unity - of course, hubby cannot receive the Eucharist if he is not a practicing Catholic but it seems women in general bear the heaviest burden of raising their children in the faith. I’m not saying there are no men at church, I have seen faithful men, single, married, widowed, at church regularly and daily Mass and certainly atheists may argue it’s hypocritical to attend Mass and can support his family’s faith in other ways (although the family unity argument makes sense to me when we talk about attending Mass) BUT the fact remains - women are there in larger numbers. And very active in various ministries, helping run the parishes, leading prayer groups, etc.
So far you hear on this forum and elsewhere, work schedule, too tired, football (really? really? we make time for football but not God, need I say more??), boredom, etc. Still, excuses. Even I’m guilty of making them, too - thank God for confession. Now, we go every Sunday or Saturday evening, rain or shine. Can’t survive without my God.I think it’s crucial for men to attend - for our children, especially.
This is unfortunate and not the way it should be. Obviously in interreligious marriages where the husband is not Catholic it’s quite difficult for him to do much more than back mom up on everything. How can he take the lead in raising the kids in the faith if he does not believe himself? Sure he can provide some basic education and take the lead in areas where the faiths are lined up (like in a Protestant/Catholic marriage for instance, he can lead on a number of subjects) but it’s not the optimal solution.
In my life I know that I have not done enough to be the spiritual leader of my household and that’s because of my own sin. I just didn’t feel like I had the moral authority to do it and so turned it over to my wife. As you might imagine, that’s been a source of tension and made me look worse in her eyes. And for good reason.
But in the last few months I’ve been striving to shake that off. I’m in charge at Sunday Mass and whenever we go during the week. I’m doing more spiritual reading and leading the evening prayers. My wife is on the Christian Formation board at our parish and I’m not, but that’s because she’s a certified teacher. She’s just better at knowing how to put together an educational plan. I’m trying to lead an adult discussion group at that parish and joined a men’s prayer group at another nearby parish.
Given that ours has been a marriage of two people in the same faith, I realize that I totally failed in my responsibility to be not just the temporal but spiritual leader of my family for some time. Fortunately I’m still relatively young and my kids are just reaching preschool age so I’m hopeful I can reclaim that mantle and ease the burden from my wife so she can return to the role she desires as being the heart of the family.
My roundabout point is that there should be more lay men taking leadership roles in the church. I think in many cases we men might think that women should do that stuff because hey, men are already the priests and bishops. Why put more on our gender by taking up positions of authority in the laity?! Well I’ll tell you why; because we men are called to be leaders in everything that we do and we lead by following Christ.