H
Historicity
Guest
I second this.Wow, seriously? Is there a rational reason for this? Last I checked the RCC did not completely disagree with evolution, excepting that of man.
I second this.Wow, seriously? Is there a rational reason for this? Last I checked the RCC did not completely disagree with evolution, excepting that of man.
Adam’s sin wasn’t my personal decision. Mine was. Hence, the fatal problem with the original sin argument.Sin is a personal decision, a departure from the grace of God. Adam and Eve “felt” their closeness with God. When they sinned they “felt” naked and hid themselves. It changed them emotionally, physically and spiritually.
Their sin, that original disobedience (where they wished to be their own gods and blamed God for their mistakes) broke the connection with the Holy Spirit.
Baptism with water, as Jesus instructed, reconnects souls to the “fire” of the Holy Spirit. Baptism forgives the original sin of our original parents. We die to our old self and take on the life of Christ. That connection remains a daily personal choice. No different now for us, than it was for Adam and Eve.
In street language, your first bold means that Adam and Eve naturally desired God as the highest good possible. Our wounded nature also desires God as the highest good possible; however, we often choose a lesser good like smoking.1st bold, If this omnipotent God’s goals were originally intended for his will and his will only, why did he create a creature that he knew (omniscient) would ‘sin’ against him, contradicting his will?
And why would he let petty human beings change the course of his master, divine, cosmological plan?
2nd bold, I hope that’s not actually accepted as true that the practice of hope and charity are of theological or divine origin and a person that is not baptized, or not knowledgeable to the practice of baptism doesn’t use those virtues. Many non-baptized, non-religious people most certainly have hope and are quite charitable in their everyday life. You can’t honestly believe only people that have been baptized exercise these “virtues”.
I understand the real fundamentalist meaning, I just figured it would be easier to plug it into here. I probably should have used literalism or something else.I think you are off to the wrong start when you use words like “fundamentalist” uncritically. A fundamentalist is someone who subscribes to the Protestant movement that was started in America several decades ago. The movement was a reaction to liberal Protestantism at the time that was eschewing Christian beliefs like the Virgin Birth. The fundamentalists outlined what they called “fundamental beliefs” to which Christians in their movement must adhere. Now, if you look at this outline, Catholics affirm all of them, and more. So, in that sense, were fundamentalist.
As the Church teaches, there was some event of disobedience by our first parents, and this act of sin towards God is what we call Original Sin. It separated us from Him and resulted in our fallen natures.
Literalism would not have worked, either. The Bible is not some monolithic book - it is, in fact, many books written by different authors spanning different genres. Some books are non-literal and others are literal. The Bible also cannot be isolated from the fullness of Christian Revelation found in the Catholic Church. To separate the Bible and the Church will lead one into error and result thousands of different interpretations and confusion.I understand the real fundamentalist meaning, I just figured it would be easier to plug it into here. I probably should have used literalism or something else.
The Catholic Church holds fast to 2,000 year old Apostolic Tradition and to the Apostolic understanding of Sacred Scripture. Papal authority and the Magisterium don’t “make up” these traditions.Bolded the great examples of the certain things I’ve been subtly referring to. This house of sand that you’re using to explain this, I think can also be explained by the simple fallacies of tradition within the church. People see some of these traditional teachings that are now doctrines and fail to recognize how fallible they are and due to the sad fact that people see these long standing traditions (under the guise of doctrine) and since the passage of time only perpetuates traditions in most cases, many are mislead in their beliefs.
You misunderstand Original Sin.Adam’s sin wasn’t my personal decision. Mine was. Hence, the fatal problem with the original sin argument.
Fair enough, how about just straight up asking people what they actually believed in regards to the specific story of Adam and Eve?Literalism would not have worked, either. The Bible is not some monolithic book - it is, in fact, many books written by different authors spanning different genres. Some books are non-literal and others are literal. The Bible also cannot be isolated from the fullness of Christian Revelation found in the Catholic Church. To separate the Bible and the Church will lead one into error and result thousands of different interpretations and confusion.
All this to say, do not be afraid to be use more precision.
You don’t understand.Adam’s sin wasn’t my personal decision. Mine was. Hence, the fatal problem with the original sin argument.
Out of respect for the current ban on evolution discussions in this and other forums, I can direct you to a broad thread in Back Fence Forum or you can start your own thread. The location of one of the guideline posts has been changed so you need to pick it up in one of the posted stickies.I second this.
We believe as the Church teaches - some of what the Church teaches has already been posted above.Fair enough, how about just straight up asking people what they actually believed in regards to the specific story of Adam and Eve?
lol, I don’t think you have it right, either.You don’t understand.
Adam and Eve lived away from a direct relationship with God because of their sins. They didn’t want to be close to God. They wanted to be their own gods.
They raised children with that same “unholy” attitude. Their child experienced jealousy and rage and he committed murder.
That child propogated more sin into the world. Each generation, as they progressed away from an attachment to the Holy, they fell deeper into their own wickedness and self possession.
It’s no different today. Look at our own culture. At the family’s and the children who reject God and wish to become their own god. Many of them fall into the “culture of death”.
You can’t see the connection?lol, I don’t think you have it right, either.The Church teaches that the Fall resulted in changed human nature and has nothing to do with how Adam and Eve raised their children.
Please explain what you really mean by fallen and in need of grace?Original Sin, I think, is one of the reasons why Christianity gets it right. We are fallen, and we are in** need of grace** - no other belief system has the courage to admit as much about human nature. We are good, to be sure, but fallen - very frail and weak to temptation in the face of disordered desires like greed and power. Unfortunately, this is the history of humanity, and it will not change, and the Cross and Resurrection are our only hope.
Potentially fatal?We all carry the potentially fatal Original Sin. By accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and by baptism and the Holy Spirit, we can be born again. All of us will see God, Christian and non-Christian.
Peace,
Ed
I think I already explained what “fallen” means. It is human frailty, our capacity and tendency to err. It has captivated thinkers since the dawn of time, Why do we fall short from the good? Grace is the gratuitous goodness and love that God extends to us. It’s what helps us to follow in the footsteps of Christ, providing we respond to it.Please explain what you really mean by fallen and in need of grace?
How about all of the other humans that existed before Christian baptism practices, are they simply doomed to live a life without this ‘grace’?
Well, Original Sin was already explored in this thread. I am not sure why are you confused. But you might want to take my advice - we assume that we are talking with somebody already familiar with the Faith. And if you are not familiar with it, I suggest becoming familiar with it before you disbelieve or argue against it.Potentially fatal?
Original Sin?
Born again?
All I see is buzzwords and no concrete explanation.
Sorry if it seems like I’m explicitly arguing against these things, I’m really just trying to find a more well-rounded explanation.Well, Original Sin was already explored in this thread. I am not sure why are you confused. But you might want to take my advice - we assume that we are talking with somebody already familiar with the Faith. And if you are not familiar with it, I suggest becoming familiar with it before you disbelieve or argue against it.
That’s very difficult to find. Most of us only post here on our spare time, and I have noticed lately, that we have less and less of it to spare! There are deep and rich historical, philosophical, and theological proofs/explanations for all that we talk about, and we could only ever touch the very tip of it all.Sorry if it seems like I’m explicitly arguing against these things, I’m really just trying to find a more well-rounded explanation.