Alright, some problems with your assertions here.
- Adam did not have an ‘inclination’ to sin. Under your logic, there cannot be any morally good angels. They also have the chance of falling out
I assume this is also your view?
Adam’s sin was very grave because it was freely chosen when he had full knowledge and submission of his will to do the right thing.
If Adam did not have an inclination to sin, why did he? This has nothing to do with angels, and whether they are morally good or not is outside the scope of this conversation.
- You are taking several biblical passages out of context here. Just as much as you quote those to say that sin does not propagate, I can quote you a lot more passages that say a view contrary to yours.
How do you interpret Romans 5:19?
First, I will tell you what it definitely does not mean, because of the implications, unless you’re willing to accept universal restoration. If every individual was made a sinner by an involuntary act on their behalf by Adam, then likewise, every individual would be made righteous involuntarily by an act on their behalf by Christ (that’s what the RCC interpretation of what the passage says about Adam demands). As this is not the case, or at least you wouldn’t be willing to accept that it’s the case, it’s quite obvious Roman Catholics misunderstand the passage.
An interpretation that is internally consistent, as well as consistent with other statements of scripture, is that Adam made personal sin
possible for every individual that followed, just as Christ made righteousness
possible for every individual that followed.
You cannot demand universal effect for Adam’s sin without equivalent universal effect for Christ’s obedience. The only way to make them equivalent is the interpretation I have given above. Otherwise you’re stuck with a dilemma.
Or how about 1 Corinthians 15:21
This doesn’t support either position. It simply says death came through a man. Not original sin. It doesn’t even say anything about inheriting anything, unless you move to vs 22, in which case your interpretation would likewise demand universal salvation because the affect of Adam’s sin is equivalent to the affect of Christ’s obedience.
At best, Adam makes all men potential sinners, while Christ makes all men potentially righteous. However, prior to being actual sinners (i.e. as a child), humans are in a state of Grace.
Or how about Wisdom 2:24?
Wisdom 2:24 says exactly what I pointed out in Ezekiel. The soul that sins is the one that will die. I don’t die because of my father’s sin, or his father’s, or Adam’s, but mine.
So please, there is ample biblical evidence for original sin. So you better go back to studying the Bible my friend
No, there’s still no evidence for original sin (or at least what the RCC understands it to be). Not sure what you’re smiling at. Nothing you’ve pointed out has indicated I’m lacking in my Bible studies.
Seriously, what did you think the Roman Catholic church was doing all this time? Pulling things out of nowhere when they had no grounding in Tradition or Scripture? You need to learn what the Roman Catholic church is first. That might shed some light on your misguided polemics.
It’s been doing what it does best: substituting the teachings of man for the teachings of God.
- We do not attribute Evil to God. Have you even read the church fathers, philosophers and theologians? Evil is considered the absence of God, actions contrary to God’s nature etc.
Yes, you do. You say God punishes me for Adam’s sin. He says quite explicitly he doesn’t do this. Thanks, but I’ll take his word over yours, or the Pope’s, or any Early Church Fathers (with which I am quite familiar).
Learn to do a proper exegesis please. What you say is no different from the Bible thumping protestants who like to believe in Salvation from faith alone when there are number of passages to the contrary
Red herring. I don’t believe in sola fide. Stick to the issue at hand.
When the person presented to you Romans 5:12, you ask him to defend it biblically … what does that even mean? That is a biblical passage
No, I asked for original sin and its inheritance to be defended Biblically. It hasn’t been thus far, and I’ve given you a much more consistent interpretation of Romans 5.
You are supposed to interpret the Bible as a whole. Not pick and choose to make your case.
Exactly. This is what I did, so I’m not sure what your point is. God doesn’t visit punishments of a father’s sin on his children. Case closed. Any passage that may
seem to indicate such a belief is obviously being misunderstood. This is Bible interpretation 101. Clear passages should not be twisted to fit our preconceived notions of difficult or unclear passages (though Romans 5 is hardly unclear).
To the question of the OP, Adam and Eve MUST be real people. This is the position of the Roman Catholic Church.
Non sequitur.
There is overall no need to reconcile this with Science.
God Bless