Hello,
I’m here again because of my very difficult 6 year old daughter. I hope I can ask this question and not be judged. DD has always been a very challenging child. As she ages I am scared that I am seeing a bully in her. We have engaged many forms of help for her for the past 3 years and she does respond to the interventions. However, I just don’t see her having innate compassion.
Are there other parents out there in my shoes? I’m at a loss because DH and I are so far opposite her in personality type. Also, this child was wanted so much, she was held, rocked, sang to. We are baffled that she is a bully, but she is.
Thank you.
If you don’t mind my asking, what is it that she is doing that you see as “bullying?”
The reason I ask is that you didn’t mention any specific behaviors of hers and so I can only guess… is she stealing other kids’ toys and snacks, pushing them down, keeping all the toys to herself, bossing others around?.. Some of this is normal for a six year old and some of it is not. It really depends on the frequency and severity of her actions. Did she “bully” one day because she didn’t get adequate sleep the night before? Was she hungry at the time she was bullying? Did any of her peers tease her or hurt her feelings that day?
Children don’t just act up for no reason. If they are doing it consistently, it is a good indicator that something else is wrong. There are even parents who are bewildered at their child’s suddenly outrageous ill behavior, only to find out their child is being sexually abused. Acting up is the child’s language of expressing frustration and difficult emotions. It could be something as benign as she needs extra attention, or is having low blood sugar, or simply needs to learn how to share, or it can be a sign of something more severe. If you are being overly strict with her, that can also cause her to “rebel” of sorts.
An example that pops into my head of “bad behavior” with an explanation is my nephew has severe (I’m talking life-threatening) allergies to a lot of different foods. He is very limited on what he can eat, and my sister has to make all of his food from scratch. (Almost all pre-prepared food has an ingredient he can’t have) Well, plain popcorn is one of the few treats he can have. One day, my sister made him some popcorn and he was happily munching down on it. (He was 2 at the time) He knows he can’t have what he often sees other kids and adults eating, so he cherishes the treats he does get. Well, his dad came home and took a big handful of popcorn out of his bowl. My nephew proceeded to throw a tantrum… My brother in law didn’t understand why my nephew was throwing a tantrum, and proceeded to scold him. This only made things much worse… my nephew dumped the rest of the popcorn on the floor. When my brother-in-law told him to pick it up, my nephew crushed it into the floor. I’m not going to tell all the details as it would take a long time, but long story short, my nephew’s bad attitude lasted the rest of the night and continued throwing tantrums over every little thing that night.
My nephew is normally very well behaved. Had my b-i-l understood that my nephew was very frustrated that he was always denied treats and that his own father was taking away one of the few treats that he could have, it probably wouldn’t have escalated to the level it did.
My point? My nephew had no capability of expressing this frustration other than throwing a tantrum. Kids do not have the vocabulary (even at 6) or the interior reflection and perspective to analyze and understand their feelings and others’ feelings and behaviors. Maturity happens at all different levels. The biggest teacher of charity is going to be your and your husband’s example. You also might want to find out the situations and circumstances where your daughter is most prone to “acting the bully.” It could be just a phase she is going through as well.