Air travelers stripped bare with X-ray machine

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdnation
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jdnation

Guest
http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/may2005/160505xray.jpg

Air travelers stripped bare with X-ray machine

USA Today | May 16 2005

The agency in charge of the nation’s air security expects later this year to begin using a controversial X-ray machine that will show airport screeners a clear picture of what’s under passengers’ clothes — whether weapons or just bare skin.

Screeners plan to test the “backscatter” machines at several U.S. airports, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) says. The refrigerator-sized machines are considered a breakthrough in scanning technology but have been labeled “a virtual strip search” by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Security workers using the machines can see through clothes and peer at whatever may be hidden in undergarments, shirts or pants. The images also paint a revealing picture of a person’s nude body.

The devices can potentially be used to screen hundreds of millions of air travelers each year, although TSA says more study is needed to determine how the devices may be used at U.S. airports. The agency declined to say when and where it expects to test the machines.

Backscatter technology has been waiting on the sidelines for nearly four years but seems poised now to move to the forefront of aviation security. The machines are already used by U.S. Customs agents at 12 airports to screen passengers suspected of carrying drugs. They’re also getting a test run at a terminal in London Heathrow Airport, the first major airport to use them.

The ACLU says the scanners invade personal privacy. “This leads directly to a surveillance society,” says Barry Steinhardt, who runs the group’s technology program.

But Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told a Senate subcommittee last month that he wants to employ the technology and doesn’t want an “endless debate” over privacy issues.

Security consultant Douglas Laird says the machines are essential to spot explosives, which aren’t detected by metal detectors.

The $100,000 machines bounce low-radiation X-rays off a person’s skin to produce photo-like computer images of metal, plastic and organic materials hidden under clothes, says American Science and Engineering. The TSA is testing its BodySearch machine.
 
40.png
beverly30:
Does any one else think like me? I’d rather drive…
Me too. Talk about an affront to modesty!
 
Where the machine is currently being used, there is not supposed to be cross gender viewing. Not that it makes it a whole lot better, but better for men to see men and women to see women than vice-versa. It is anyones guess how much that will abused (note I didn’t say if).

And as for trains and other public transportation, if terrorism starts rearing it’s ugly head there, then this would be a logical next step.
 
I’ll drive. :bigyikes:

But, as we all know, once this ability gets out into the public no one will feel safe from this personal invasion of space.:banghead: Why is this needed? Proper use of metal detecters and trained security is needed even more.

Kathleen Elsie Gibbs
Pray the Rosary and Divine Mercy daily
 
I wonder if they will get hazardous duty pay due to some of the people that will go through the machine.

Seriously, I do not see any problem with it since it will improve security without the evasive physical pat-down. Many things will not be picked up on “metal” detectors since they are not “metal”.

PF
 
I wonder which is worst?

somebody seeing the wonders of the Lords creation?

or

somebody spreading it in little pieces all over the countryside?
 
What about Children???

Does anyone see a pediphile’s dream job on this one???

It’s bad enough that adults have to be subjected to this, and I don’t know if I buy the assurances that there is no ‘cross gender’ watching… yea right. But what about those who prey on children? I surely hope kids aren’t subjected to this.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
I will not subject my family to the eyes of perverts.
Why would you call them perverts? They are just doing their job which is to save your life and anyone else’s that fly.
 
40.png
walstan:
I wonder which is worst?

somebody seeing the wonders of the Lords creation?

or

somebody spreading it in little pieces all over the countryside?
Wouldn’t that sort of logic make pornography okay?
 
In another forum, I’ve been ranting about this over and over. Not only the screeners, but the fact that cross-gender strip-searching is done by the police in the US and that cross-gender guards in showers in prisons don’t seem to be frowned upon any more.

Ever heard about the MacDonald scam? When someone pretending to be a policeman made a restaurant boss strip-search a 17 year old customer? Or a 18 year old female employee forced to jug naked in front of both male and female management?

I’ve hand tons of such links for those discussions. I can give you thirty in no time. It sucks. It makes me wonder where this world is going to.

Male cops strip-searching females. 😦 :mad:
 
IMHO, this is for a good reason…to prevent another 9/11. I mean, we do this when we go to a doctor for a physical and no one says “well, those perverts!”. I think the benefit here outweighs the concern for modesty. And really…how many of us are in such top notch shape that anyone would be doing any ogling? As to kids…I wouldn’t put it past some crazy extremist to plant something on their child to further their cause. I’m a nervous enough flyer without the extra concern of some nut case with an explosive.

Regards,
Jennifer
 
This may be a miracle, but I think I agree with the ACLU. This is no freedom. If we have to do things like this, the terrorists have won. Profiling is much more practical. This is ridiculous.
 
snoopy,

Most of the people using those machines will be good upstanding people–yet perverts will be attracted to such tools. I can see a day when people’s images are sold on ebay. Sorry, I do not want my wife and children subjected to another layer of possible perversion.
 
40.png
tcay584:
IMHO, this is for a good reason…to prevent another 9/11. I mean, we do this when we go to a doctor for a physical and no one says “well, those perverts!”. I think the benefit here outweighs the concern for modesty.
Jennifer
I’m all for 9/11 prevention. But remember, a Doctor is a specialist who you go to see for medical reasons. Anything is done behind closed doors with your full consent. There are strict laws on who can view your medical files.

What are the safeguards for these machines? Who will be viewing me and my family? Are there pictures? Where are they kept? Who can see them? I can see it now, a website full of ‘famous’ people who’ve gone through these. The people who work for the TSA I’m sure for the most part are good people. But they are not doctors. I don’t have a personal trust relationship with them. Yes this makes me very uncomfortable. Again, I don’t want my children to be subjected to strip searches or pictures of them without their clothes on. I don’t care who’s doing it, TSA doesn’t need to see my naked kids.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top