W
waffler
Guest
if these measures are in place because the west is winning the war on terror, i’d hate to see what would happen if we started to lose it
A lot of trouble on airlines has been caused by non-Arabs. PSA flight 1771 was hijacked and crashed by a disgruntled (non-Arab) employee.
John Graham blew up United flight 629.
The famous hijacker D.B. Cooper wasn’t an Arab either.
I am female, actually, so someone looking at my naked wife wouldn’t happen. However…if the next person in the screening line was found to be carrying an explosive, knife, or gun…I’d say that yes it was worth it. I think this whole privacy issue is getting ridiculous bordering on paranoia.Is your “life” (as if your life really depended on it) worth some guys with guns looking on your naked wife?
What if you were female? I could probably get over it for myself but not for my wife, daughter, sister, female friend…
@harveyc: What if the lady in the picture were your wife?
Why do you think the government would be interested enough in your little life to infiltrate it? This is so silly!If the government can take pictures of our bodies, then what is to stop them from any number of infiltrations into our lives at the mere suggestion of being for security? It really never ends, and with this sort of stuff we have changed who we are…in many ways these sorts of things are major victories for the terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life.
TPJCatholic,tcay,
It is interesting to see you call my life little. Personally, I think every life has eternal value and is NOT little in any way.
I said: “what is to stop them…,” I did not say they would target me personally. The point is, the government has developed a habit of slowly encroaching on our lives for the sake of security…if it goes to far we will no longer be free. We remain free today, yet it is easy to lose that if we give it away.
With respect, would your husband agree?I am female, actually, so someone looking at my naked wife wouldn’t happen. However…if the next person in the screening line was found to be carrying an explosive, knife, or gun…I’d say that yes it was worth it. I think this whole privacy issue is getting ridiculous bordering on paranoia.
How about the religious objection of Christian women?Or the religious objection of muslim women?
Yes, I believe my husband would agree if it meant that air travel was safer. If you look at the images that are generated, you can barely tell anything about the person. The images are not detailed. I don’t think it’s anything like a strip search - which would only be done over my very cold and dead body. Besides, we don’t know that women would be scanned by men…maybe there’d be two lines with different sexes going through each.With respect, would your husband agree?
I would make a big problem of my wife submitting to a strip-search without complete absence of any male eyes. Getting along with this kind of scan wouldn’t get a much better reception. From what I know, cross-gender strip-searches are illegal in the US by a federal law, it’s just no one seems to care of those who do and no one seems to know of the fact(or dare refuse) of those who submit.
If I were female, I would definitely not submit to any kind of cross-gender strip-search.
How about the religious objection of Christian women?
I wonder about that. There is a full-body image of a man available, and a certain portion of it is covered by a red circle.If you look at the images that are generated, you can barely tell anything about the person. The images are not detailed.
Maybe it was a bomb?I wonder about that. There is a full-body image of a man available, and a certain portion of it is covered by a red circle.
Here’s a link, if it works. The red circle doesn’t look like part of the image to me; it’s covering the man’s private parts. Of course, I don’t know how much actually shows under that circle. The scan does show four different weapons on him.Maybe it was a bomb?
I haven’t seen that one.
Where did you find it?
I was kinda joking about the red circle thing. I still think it’s a good idea though since our current detectors can’t sense non-metallic items. Sad to think the world’s gotten this dangerous.Here’s a link, if it works. The red circle doesn’t look like part of the image to me; it’s covering the man’s private parts. Of course, I don’t know how much actually shows under that circle. The scan does show four different weapons on him.
blog.pvassar.net/archives/bodysearch.jpg
That’s a really good point that I hadn’t thought of. The presumption of innocence is indeed a fundamental value here in the US that should be protected. You win.tcay,
It should not be a system that allows humans to view a person unless there is already detected evidence. Human dignity (which is God given) should not be compromised. We simply MUST find other ways to protect travelers.