Air travelers stripped bare with X-ray machine

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdnation
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
if these measures are in place because the west is winning the war on terror, i’d hate to see what would happen if we started to lose it
 
I just don’t understand. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you don’t like what’s on TV, change the channel. If you don’t want to be subjected to the airline’s security measures, don’t fly.
 
If the government can take pictures of our bodies, then what is to stop them from any number of infiltrations into our lives at the mere suggestion of being for security? It really never ends, and with this sort of stuff we have changed who we are…in many ways these sorts of things are major victories for the terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life.
 
40.png
Benedictus:
A lot of trouble on airlines has been caused by non-Arabs. PSA flight 1771 was hijacked and crashed by a disgruntled (non-Arab) employee.
  1. Burke used his US Airwyas ID, which was not confescated when he was fired, to bypass security all together. No amount of passenger screening would have stopped him.
40.png
Benedictus:
John Graham blew up United flight 629.
  1. Were metal detectors in the private sector then? A man put dynamite in his mothers bag. That can easily be detected now with the “sniffer” technologies available. This bombing was not about terrorizing Americans, but a scam to collect on his mother’s life insurance policy.
40.png
Benedictus:
The famous hijacker D.B. Cooper wasn’t an Arab either.
  1. A thief with $200k wanted to get out of the country, not blow up the plane.
 
My point was only that non-Arabs do cause trouble on airlines. I agree that these cases wouldn’t be affected by this proposed screening, but that’s not to say that this screening is useless.

By the way, an American tried to kill Richard Nixon by ramming a hijacked jet into the White House. The plane never left the ground, but at least one person was killed by him (the F.O., I think).
 
40.png
chevalier:
Is your “life” (as if your life really depended on it) worth some guys with guns looking on your naked wife?

What if you were female? I could probably get over it for myself but not for my wife, daughter, sister, female friend…

@harveyc: What if the lady in the picture were your wife?
I am female, actually, so someone looking at my naked wife wouldn’t happen. However…if the next person in the screening line was found to be carrying an explosive, knife, or gun…I’d say that yes it was worth it. I think this whole privacy issue is getting ridiculous bordering on paranoia.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
If the government can take pictures of our bodies, then what is to stop them from any number of infiltrations into our lives at the mere suggestion of being for security? It really never ends, and with this sort of stuff we have changed who we are…in many ways these sorts of things are major victories for the terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life.
Why do you think the government would be interested enough in your little life to infiltrate it? This is so silly!
 
tcay,

It is interesting to see you call my life little. Personally, I think every life has eternal value and is NOT little in any way.

I said: “what is to stop them…,” I did not say they would target me personally. The point is, the government has developed a habit of slowly encroaching on our lives for the sake of security…if it goes to far we will no longer be free. We remain free today, yet it is easy to lose that if we give it away.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
tcay,

It is interesting to see you call my life little. Personally, I think every life has eternal value and is NOT little in any way.

I said: “what is to stop them…,” I did not say they would target me personally. The point is, the government has developed a habit of slowly encroaching on our lives for the sake of security…if it goes to far we will no longer be free. We remain free today, yet it is easy to lose that if we give it away.
TPJCatholic,
I agree with you that every life has intrinsic value to God. I also think God is interested in every life. I don’t think the US gov’t is particularly concerned with what we “little” people do in our little everyday lives. We aren’t worth the effort, and I don’t understand those who think the gov’t is going to become a big peeping Tom. They have bigger fish to fry. That’s what I meant by “little”.
Just seems to me that when the gov’t fails to keep us safe (9/11), they’re crucified for not caring enough to do something proactive. When they try and do something (this screening idea), they’re crucified for being intrusive! BTW, have you seen the backscatter photos? They look like store mannequin dolls…I doubt anyone’s going to ogle that.
 
It’s crazy. Some people here don’t mind this, however why don’t any of us remember that the Government KNEW that there was going ot be a terrorist attack on the US? It’s been on the news, you can see it right there. This was known about beforehand. heck, the terrorist were even TRAINED on our own soil to fly planes that would be used as death devices.

Instead of stripping naked to ensure safety, why don’t you instead prevent this from happening to begin with? A good start would be to heed warnings. If someone says they are going to attack the US, maybe next time the president (or whoever was in charge of that) can take a look instead of pushing it aside.

I don’t fly and if this happens I certainly never will. I however, don’t think that rolling over and exposing our bellies is going to make us safer.

Someone here commented about showers in prison and other such things. I don’t agree with that either. Everyone is entitled to the right of human dignity. When we start assuming everyone is the enemy and stripping them of everything to satisfy our need to feel “safe” is when we really run the risk of being hurt.

The more I see us trying to be “safe” the more I see people on tv getting unfairly treated because they fit into some profile or someone found powdered sugar on their jacket or some such nonsense. We treat each other as if we are already guilty. I just don’t agree with this road that we are going down where we lose all feelings of shame and leave nothing sacred. We are being treated more and more as mere objects as cattle.
 
What about a heath hazard to pregnant women? Or the religious objection of muslim women? What about a group of cloistered nuns flying to Rome? I will take the chance there might be a nut on my plane. The same chance I take that I might be hit by a drunk driver while driving ANYWHERE. Where will it end??? I’m not afraid of dying and meeting the Lord, there are many worse things…
 
I am female, actually, so someone looking at my naked wife wouldn’t happen. However…if the next person in the screening line was found to be carrying an explosive, knife, or gun…I’d say that yes it was worth it. I think this whole privacy issue is getting ridiculous bordering on paranoia.
With respect, would your husband agree?

I would make a big problem of my wife submitting to a strip-search without complete absence of any male eyes. Getting along with this kind of scan wouldn’t get a much better reception. From what I know, cross-gender strip-searches are illegal in the US by a federal law, it’s just no one seems to care of those who do and no one seems to know of the fact(or dare refuse) of those who submit.

If I were female, I would definitely not submit to any kind of cross-gender strip-search.
Or the religious objection of muslim women?
How about the religious objection of Christian women?
 
40.png
chevalier:
With respect, would your husband agree?

I would make a big problem of my wife submitting to a strip-search without complete absence of any male eyes. Getting along with this kind of scan wouldn’t get a much better reception. From what I know, cross-gender strip-searches are illegal in the US by a federal law, it’s just no one seems to care of those who do and no one seems to know of the fact(or dare refuse) of those who submit.

If I were female, I would definitely not submit to any kind of cross-gender strip-search.

How about the religious objection of Christian women?
Yes, I believe my husband would agree if it meant that air travel was safer. If you look at the images that are generated, you can barely tell anything about the person. The images are not detailed. I don’t think it’s anything like a strip search - which would only be done over my very cold and dead body. Besides, we don’t know that women would be scanned by men…maybe there’d be two lines with different sexes going through each.
 
40.png
tcay584:
If you look at the images that are generated, you can barely tell anything about the person. The images are not detailed.
I wonder about that. There is a full-body image of a man available, and a certain portion of it is covered by a red circle.
 
40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
I wonder about that. There is a full-body image of a man available, and a certain portion of it is covered by a red circle.
Maybe it was a bomb?
I haven’t seen that one.
Where did you find it?
 
40.png
tcay584:
Maybe it was a bomb?
I haven’t seen that one.
Where did you find it?
Here’s a link, if it works. The red circle doesn’t look like part of the image to me; it’s covering the man’s private parts. Of course, I don’t know how much actually shows under that circle. The scan does show four different weapons on him.

blog.pvassar.net/archives/bodysearch.jpg
 
40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
Here’s a link, if it works. The red circle doesn’t look like part of the image to me; it’s covering the man’s private parts. Of course, I don’t know how much actually shows under that circle. The scan does show four different weapons on him.

blog.pvassar.net/archives/bodysearch.jpg
I was kinda joking about the red circle thing. I still think it’s a good idea though since our current detectors can’t sense non-metallic items. Sad to think the world’s gotten this dangerous.
 
tcay,

It should not be a system that allows humans to view a person unless there is already detected evidence. Human dignity (which is God given) should not be compromised. We simply MUST find other ways to protect travelers.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
tcay,

It should not be a system that allows humans to view a person unless there is already detected evidence. Human dignity (which is God given) should not be compromised. We simply MUST find other ways to protect travelers.
That’s a really good point that I hadn’t thought of. The presumption of innocence is indeed a fundamental value here in the US that should be protected. You win. 😃
 
I think this is fine. To prevent images of famous people being abused, you could just make sure that no records of the images are kept. Perhaps it would also be possible in the near future to automate the image scanning process so that no humans are used in scanning for weapons (kind of like how google reads your email in an automated way to generate email-content-sensitive advertisements)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top