Who decides the risk level that they are using to justify the increased scrutiny? What incident sparked the increased risk level they are citing as justification for these intensive searches? Who decides what kind of search is reasonable with the risk level?
Is it Congress? Did they really pass a law that details all of that? Or did they give it to the TSA and Homeland Security to sort out, with unelected bureaucrats deciding risk levels and what is reasonable?
What about TSA officials outright telling people that they left their rights at the door? Americans have rights everywhere except in airport terminals and on airplanes. If I want to fly, I must relinquish my rights and give permission for a government employee to grope me intimately in public, or to be stripped naked in a scanner?
How can a right be inalienable if it can be suspended by the government ín certain circumstances?
If the airline requires this as a condition for boarding their aircraft, it is one thing. This is the Government imposing this and suspending citizens’ rights in the name of public safety.
Where else is going to be exempted from following the Constitution in the name of public safety? Shopping malls, subway stations? These also are targets. Can we expect to be stopped and body searched by the police at random in a shopping mall or subway because there might be a threat from a terrorist? I think we’d find this unreasonable, just as it is unreasonable to do it to airline passengers.
The only heightened risk I am aware of in recent months is from parcels and cargo, not from passengers. Increasing scrutiny of passengers in the wake of a heightened risk from cargo is unreasonable. The previous search methods have been effective and I see no reason to have changed them.