Altar Girls - Official or Not?

• Thread starter Thread starter Quaere_Verum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our parish has girl altar servers who are very disciplined & tend to be leaders. The few boys, who up until recently served, were not as disciplined. I believe part of the problem we had attracting more boys is that they did not want to do something that appeared to them to be a “girl thing”. Recently, a few serious & orthodox dads got involved in training altar servers and encouraging their own sons to serve. Since then the reverance & understanding of the servers has increased. Also, once you got a few more serious & disciplined boys involved you began to see other boys sigining up.

QV

Permission was granted after the fact. The original permission for using females to serve at the altar was originally granted back in the late 70’s I believe. I will provide the documentation as soon as I can find it again.
which is most often the process for the “changes” the Church has endured these last 40 years…

abuse + time = norm

Our parish has girl altar servers who are very disciplined & tend to be leaders. The few boys, who up until recently served, were not as disciplined. I believe part of the problem we had attracting more boys is that they did not want to do something that appeared to them to be a “girl thing”. Recently, a few serious & orthodox dads got involved in training altar servers and encouraging their own sons to serve. Since then the reverance & understanding of the servers has increased. Also, once you got a few more serious & disciplined boys involved you began to see other boys sigining up.

QV
👍

Here is a wikipedia article that has references to all the relevant documentation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar_server

I am unable to find the article from the late 70’s that talks about a bishop giving permission for a women’s prison in spite of the prohibition in Liturgicae instaurationes that states “7. In conformity with norms traditional in the Church, women (single, married, religious), whether in churches, homes, convents, schools, or institutions for women, are barred from serving the priest at the altar.”

It raised quite a stir. I will keep searching.

In accord with the above cited instructions of the Holy See such an authorization may not, in any way, exclude men or, in particular, boys from service at the altar, nor require that priests of the diocese would make use of female altar servers, since “it will always be very appropriate to follow the noble tradition of having boys serve at the altar” (Circular Letter to the Presidents of Episcopal Conference, March 15, 1994, no. 2). Indeed, the obligation to support groups of altar boys will always remain, not least of all due to the well known assistance that such programs have provided since time immemorial in encouraging future priestly vocations (cf. ibid*.*)
adoremus.org/CDW-AltarServers.html
We are phasing girls out at my parish…so it will be official in the next year here.
👍

===

i hope the girls reading this don’t have their feelings hurt. i hope even more that they learn the many reasons why it is better to have boys altar serve, and that girls should serve only in emergencies. we still love you and appreciate your intentions, but you can serve God in many other ways that are just as important.

offer up your disappointment as a sacrifice for God, and know that in the end, it is the best thing to do and you will be glorifying God even more.

QV
Very often boys seeing something as a ‘girl thing’ is a developmental issue - nothing more.

It seems to me that it is easier for girls, in general, to join in on a boy dominated activity than vice versa. Boys, in my experience, don’t like to be led by girls, so would rather not be involved in a girl dominated activity. Maybe someone else’s experience is different than mine.

It seems to me that it is easier for girls, in general, to join in on a boy dominated activity than vice versa. Boys, in my experience, don’t like to be led by girls, so would rather not be involved in a girl dominated activity. Maybe someone else’s experience is different than mine.
The reason boys were invited to serve at the altar was to encourage vocation to the priesthood. It is a deadend job for girls.

The reason boys were invited to serve at the altar was to encourage vocation to the priesthood. It is a deadend job for girls.
No - not a ‘deadend job’.

These young women could seek other forms of ministry within the Church, grow in understanding and reverence, maybe even have sons who become priests in the future.

Well we are all entitiled to our opinions.
ROME, 3 FEB. 2004 (ZENIT).
“Female altar servers are permitted in all but two U.S. dioceses. They are also common in most English-speaking countries, and in Western Europe. The situation is patchier in the rest of the world, going from total absence to the occasional diocese that allows them.

From the point of view of liturgical law, an official interpretation of Canon 230, Paragraph 2, of the Code of Canon law on the possibility of delegating certain liturgical offices led to a 1994 letter from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments clarifying that girls may serve at the altar. But bishops are not bound to permit them to do so, nor could the episcopal conference limit the bishop’s faculty to decide for himself.

A further clarifying letter published in 2001 said priests are not compelled to have girls serve at the altar, even when their bishops grant permission.

The 1994 letter states: “It will always be very appropriate to follow the noble tradition of having boys serve at the altar. As is well known, this has led to a reassuring development of priestly vocations. Thus the obligation to support such groups of altar boys will always continue.”

The letter also recommends to bishops to consider “among other things the sensibilities of the faithful, the reasons which would motivate such permission and the different liturgical settings and congregations which gather for the Holy Mass.”

Therefore the Holy See’s recommendation is to retain as far as possible the custom of having only boys as servers. But it leaves to the bishop the choice of permitting women and girls for a good reason and to the pastor of each parish the decision as to whether to act on the bishop’s permission.

It is important not to focus this debate using political categories such as rights, equality, discrimination, etc., which only serves to fog the issue. We are dealing with the privilege of serving in an act of worship to which nobody has any inherent rights.

The question should be framed as to what is best for the good of souls in each diocese and parish. It is thus an eminently pastoral and not an administrative decision, and this is why it should be determined at the local level.

Among the pastoral factors to be weighed is the obvious yet often forgotten fact that boys and girls are different and require different motivational and formative methods.

*This difference means that both boys and girls usually go through a stage when they tend to avoid common activities.

Preteen boys in particular are very attracted to activities that cater especially for them, and they tend to reject sharing activities with girls. *

Not really - many girls find their vocation to service in the Church through altar serving, and become lay workers and members of religious orders.

Not all priests started off as altar servers, either - in fact, the majority of the priests I know were not converted until their late teens or early twenties; prior to that, they didn’t even attend Mass at all, let alone serve at the altar. It’s certainly not a prerequisite to the priesthood, but it does instill an attitude of service and volunteerism, which is good for both boys and girls.

In the Diocese of Rockford, girls may serve on the altar, but boys and girls may not serve together at the same Mass or liturgical event. Excepting in the EF parishes, servers have completed the fourth grade and have made their first reconciliation and first communion.

In the EF parishes, it’s boys only, as soon as they’ve made their first communion.
That’s interesting, in our Diocese we have boys and girls serving together. I might not have thought about it, had you not posted this…hmm. Interesting differences!🙂

My dd served for a few years in our parish back in PA, and she loved it…and I think it enabled her to become more devoted to Christ and His teachings–she really understood mass better, and she always cherished those moments. 🙂

QV
We have them separated by Masses:

4:30 PM Saturday- girls
9:30 AM Sunday- boys.

And my favorite, 7:30 AM Sunday, has servers who are a married couple. They do not “alb up” and do an excellent job- and the gentleman of the couple is one heck of a bell ringer at the consecration!

That’s interesting, in our Diocese we have boys and girls serving together. I might not have thought about it, had you not posted this…hmm. Interesting differences!🙂
Well, I can attest that there was a good deal of giggling and showing off for the opposite gender among the older kids; and among the younger kids, nobody wanted to be with the opposite gender.

ROME, 3 FEB. 2004 (ZENIT).
“Female altar servers are permitted in all but two U.S. dioceses. They are also common in most English-speaking countries, and in Western Europe. The situation is patchier in the rest of the world, going from total absence to the occasional diocese that allows them.

From the point of view of liturgical law, an official interpretation of Canon 230, Paragraph 2, of the Code of Canon law on the possibility of delegating certain liturgical offices led to a 1994 letter from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments clarifying that girls may serve at the altar. But bishops are not bound to permit them to do so, nor could the episcopal conference limit the bishop’s faculty to decide for himself.

A further clarifying letter published in 2001 said priests are not compelled to have girls serve at the altar, even when their bishops grant permission.

The 1994 letter states: “It will always be very appropriate to follow the noble tradition of having boys serve at the altar. As is well known, this has led to a reassuring development of priestly vocations. Thus the obligation to support such groups of altar boys will always continue.”

The letter also recommends to bishops to consider “among other things the sensibilities of the faithful, the reasons which would motivate such permission and the different liturgical settings and congregations which gather for the Holy Mass.”

Therefore the Holy See’s recommendation is to retain as far as possible the custom of having only boys as servers. But it leaves to the bishop the choice of permitting women and girls for a good reason and to the pastor of each parish the decision as to whether to act on the bishop’s permission.

It is important not to focus this debate using political categories such as rights, equality, discrimination, etc., which only serves to fog the issue. We are dealing with the privilege of serving in an act of worship to which nobody has any inherent rights.

The question should be framed as to what is best for the good of souls in each diocese and parish. It is thus an eminently pastoral and not an administrative decision, and this is why it should be determined at the local level.

Among the pastoral factors to be weighed is the obvious yet often forgotten fact that boys and girls are different and require different motivational and formative methods.

This difference means that both boys and girls usually go through a stage when they tend to avoid common activities.

*Preteen boys in particular are very attracted to activities that cater especially for them, and they tend to reject sharing activities with girls. *
So we agree. Boy altar boys are recommended, and we all have an obligation to support that.

Girl Altar Boys may serve (for no reason given), priests are not bound or compelled to permit them to serve, and the Holy See recommends that we retain the custom of boys (for reasons given)

Question… if you were to request the Bishop to give his permission (because the priviledge is not automatic), what would your good reason be?

Girl Altar Boys may serve (for no reason given), priests are not bound or compelled to permit them to serve, and the Holy See recommends that we retain the custom of boys (for reasons given)
Girl altar boys – hermaphrodites or transexuals?

Question… if you were to request the Bishop to give his permission (because the priviledge is not automatic), what would your good reason be?
To encourage vocations to the religious life and the habit of Church volunteerism among girls, and to train all the children of the parish to become devoted and attentive at Mass.

Just as boys should not be given the impression that Church is a “girl activity,” neither should girls be given the impression that Church is “for boys only.”

To encourage vocations to the religious life and the habit of Church volunteerism among girls, and to train all the children of the parish to become devoted and attentive at Mass.

Just as boys should not be given the impression that Church is a “girl activity,” neither should girls be given the impression that Church is “for boys only.”
Fair enough. If I were to ask a followup question:
"Which order or which group in religious life have among their duties anything to do with the celebration of the liturgy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back