Anti-Catholicism on Desperate Housewives

  • Thread starter Thread starter striving
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

striving

Guest
I am not a viewer of primetime TV, in my opinion, it has gotten almost unbelievably crass. However, this morning, I was watching Good Morning America while getting ready for work. They showed an excerpt from an upcoming scene in Desperate Housewives. How disturbing! This is the scene: a women is very upset to find out she’s pregnant and accuses her husband of rigging her birth control pills. The real reason she’s freaking out is that she is not sure who the father is as , apparently, she’s having an affair with a poolboy or something of that nature. Throughout the entire scene, there is a prominent backdrop of The Modonna with Child in the Background!!!
I am really tired of Hollywood depicting ie. serial killers with pictures of The Sacred Heart in their bedroom, prostitutes with rosaries around their necks etc…Has anyone else noticed???
 
I have seen several episodes and her husband and his family are very Catholic. Not sure how devout or orthodox they really are, but Catholicism is a part of their lives. I know many people who are Catholic and who attend mass regularly but do not live stellar lives… and I don’t personally have a problem with Hollywood depicting that.
 
Yes - you’re talking about the character named Gabrielle.
The whole point is that Gabrielle is a selfish childish spoiled rotten person.
The Madonna & Child are a contrast to her.
She goes to the priest to admit her terrible behavior, and when he gives her good advise she gets mad at him.
I don’t know if it necessarily is attacking catholicism, as it is showing what a bad person she is.
One can only hope the storyline involves her coming to maturity - and redemption.
 
9 out of every 10 shows on TV are garbage (even childrens cartoons).
EWTN is the only network that’s worth watching.
 
Yes, I have noticed bad characters such as murderers, rapist, hit-men…wearing crucifixes, with pictures of Jesus and Mary in the background. Hollywood not only does not respect the Catholic or Christian faith, but in my opinion it is constantly doing its best to turn people away from faith.

As far as the show you talk about. I honestly do not know how Catholics striving to live their faith continue to watch shows where our morality is so disregarded. The fact that this woman is undecided who the father is-- the poolman or her husband— seems pretty immoral to me. I have never seen the show, but I am curious if sexual affairs are a prominent part of it or is this the 1st instance of it.
 
40.png
trailblazer:
Yes, I have noticed bad characters such as murderers, rapist, hit-men…wearing crucifixes, with pictures of Jesus and Mary in the background. Hollywood not only does not respect the Catholic or Christian faith, but in my opinion it is constantly doing its best to turn people away from faith.

As far as the show you talk about. I honestly do not know how Catholics striving to live their faith continue to watch shows where our morality is so disregarded. The fact that this woman is undecided who the father is-- the poolman or her husband— seems pretty immoral to me. I have never seen the show, but I am curious if sexual affairs are a prominent part of it or is this the 1st instance of it.
I believe that the name of the show says it all.
 
40.png
Steph700:
I have seen several episodes and her husband and his family are very Catholic. Not sure how devout or orthodox they really are, but Catholicism is a part of their lives. I know many people who are Catholic and who attend mass regularly but do not live stellar lives… and I don’t personally have a problem with Hollywood depicting that.
Maybe you can help me since I haven’t seen network TV in more than 15 years: Where are the devout, kind, healthy and functioning Catholic families and individuals to add balance to the adulterers, hitmen and otherwise dishonest Catholics that are portrayed in our media?

If you know “many” Catholics who attend Mass regularly but do not live stellar lives, then maybe you are hanging with the wrong crowd. It does one well to search out good people, regardless of their religious affiliation. I personally know MANY Catholics who attend Mass regularly and I would wager the farm that NONE of them are adulterers, mobsters or the like in their spare time. It has been my experience that those people who cheat and lie can’t organize themselves enough to get out of the house on Sunday morning and, once their kids go through the Sacraments (for show), they drop the Church like a bad habit.
 
40.png
Lorarose:
I don’t know if it necessarily is attacking catholicism, as it is showing what a bad person she is.
Done to show Catholics are hypocrites. Protestants get the same treatment. For the most part, this isn’t even a conscious decision. It is how the producers, directors and script writers view the Christian faith. When called on it, they justify it by saying it is a fact, people don’t live up to their faith. True enough but that doesn’t explain why we almost never see a person of the Jewish faith, a Native American, an environmentalist, social activist, civil rights leader, school teacher, social worker and so on depicted the same way. They are prone to the same failings.
 
Yes…its done to show them as hypocrites…or that if the family werent so religious, the wife wouldnt be cheating…cause THEY made her that way. 😛

anyway, its good to know the First Lady doesnt publicly say anything to promote such a show which lacks family values…at least she’s mentioned Touched by an Angel…oh wait a tic…dont think she ever has. 😉
 
40.png
condan:
Maybe you can help me since I haven’t seen network TV in more than 15 years: Where are the devout, kind, healthy and functioning Catholic families and individuals to add balance to the adulterers, hitmen and otherwise dishonest Catholics that are portrayed in our media?

If you know “many” Catholics who attend Mass regularly but do not live stellar lives, then maybe you are hanging with the wrong crowd. It does one well to search out good people, regardless of their religious affiliation. I personally know MANY Catholics who attend Mass regularly and I would wager the farm that NONE of them are adulterers, mobsters or the like in their spare time. It has been my experience that those people who cheat and lie can’t organize themselves enough to get out of the house on Sunday morning and, once their kids go through the Sacraments (for show), they drop the Church like a bad habit.
I don’t watch TV to be inspired by direct orthodox Catholic teaching, I watch it for entertainment and to observe the human condition. If you want Catholic teaching then I say read your Bible, go to mass, or watching programming on EWTN (which I like a lot).

Shows like Desperate Housewives may not portray a perfect Catholic family, I’ll give you that. But I’ve never seen a perfect family and if you think you have then I don’t think you’ve evaluated that family very far beyond the surface. There is sin there, there always is, and I think it’s wrong for anyone to put themselves above anyone else- only God knows our hearts. You accuse me of not being around the “right” people- right people being holier-than-thou’s who never sin in any “major” way such as adultery. I challenge you to spend some time around normal people who make mistakes and recognize their mistakes- these are the people Jesus came to save not people who think they are already better than everyone else.

And as far as searching out people who are good regardless of their religion, most of my friends whom I consider good examples of morality are not Catholic. Can you say the same? Do you know many people from many different faith backgrounds? If you do, then that’s great. But if not, then I don’t think people in glass houses should throw stones.
 
40.png
Steph700:
Shows like Desperate Housewives may not portray a perfect Catholic family, I’ll give you that. But I’ve never seen a perfect family and if you think you have then I don’t think you’ve evaluated that family very far beyond the surface. There is sin there, there always is, and I think it’s wrong for anyone to put themselves above anyone else- only God knows our hearts. You accuse me of not being around the “right” people- right people being holier-than-thou’s who never sin in any “major” way such as adultery. I challenge you to spend some time around normal people who make mistakes and recognize their mistakes- these are the people Jesus came to save not people who think they are already better than everyone else.
Thanks. I’m going out to commit adultery right now, so I can be normal like your friends. Then I too, can be one of those Jesus came to save!
 
40.png
BlindSheep:
Thanks. I’m going out to commit adultery right now, so I can be normal like your friends. Then I too, can be one of those Jesus came to save!
:rolleyes:

The difference I am pointing out is people who sin and realize it and those who think that they are so righteous that they don’t need Jesus… and that they are also way too good to associate with “sinners”. Listen, it’s one thing to try to live a life that is honorable to Jesus, and it’s another thing to block yourself off from the rest of the world and away from people who are much “worse” sinners than yourself. That is all I’m saying.
 
40.png
Steph700:
it’s another thing to block yourself off from the rest of the world and away from people who are much “worse” sinners than yourself.
Guess the reason I don’t know or see these people is because they are hidden away and have blocked themselves off.

So they aren’t a problem. At least to me.
 
40.png
Steph700:
I know many people who are Catholic and who attend mass regularly but do not live stellar lives… and I don’t personally have a problem with Hollywood depicting that.
Are you a confirmed Catholic? I’m not being nosey, but if you are, do you perform the required spiritual works of mercy by lovingly pointing out to your friends where they’re not living their Catholic lives as well as they could?
This is not being “holier than thou,” because none of us is perfect, but it is a requirement of our faith to correct those who stray (James 5:19,20), and be grateful when we are corrected by another out of love.
Neither is it judgmentalism if your friends are obviously living “not stellar” lives AND going to Mass. Especially if they are receiving the Blessed Sacrament.
 
40.png
striving:
a women is very upset to find out she’s pregnant and accuses her husband of rigging her birth control pills…Throughout the entire scene, there is a prominent backdrop of The Modonna with Child in the Background
Sounds like it might have been taken from a novel written by the Catholic priest Father Andrew Greeley.
I wouldn’t blame Hollywood for the sad condition of the Catholic Church today. For example:
at: “Is Contraception really intrinsically evil,” by John Flanagan,

mcauley.acu.edu.au/theology/Issue2/John_Flanagan.htm#_ftn58

I read the following:

“In Western countries, it is estimated that up to 96% of fertile, sexually active Catholic women are using means of contraception condemned by the Vatican as intrinsically evil. It is estimated that up to 80% of all Catholics dissent from the official Catholic teachings on contraception. This has destroyed the credibility of the Catholic Church as a moral guide in matters of sexual and biomedical ethics."
 
40.png
Strider:
Are you a confirmed Catholic? I’m not being nosey, but if you are, do you perform the required spiritual works of mercy by lovingly pointing out to your friends where they’re not living their Catholic lives as well as they could?
This is not being “holier than thou,” because none of us is perfect, but it is a requirement of our faith to correct those who stray (James 5:19,20), and be grateful when we are corrected by another out of love.
Neither is it judgmentalism if your friends are obviously living “not stellar” lives AND going to Mass. Especially if they are receiving the Blessed Sacrament.
No, I’m not. I’m a convert in process. I grew up in Bible belt America where evangelical fundamentalists feel that it is their duty to remove themselves from the world, to not allow their children to mingle with “non-believers”, where anything beyong a G-rating in the movie theater is not allowed to be viewed, where alcohol is the devil as is most social dancing.

Around the time I decided to look at Catholicism I also was able to get out into the world a little more, make some friends outside my evangelical bubble and I realized that I never again wanted to be that Christian who was so self-righteous that I looked down my nose at non-believers or believers who have stumbled. Love the sinner, hate the sin is my motto and it’s taken a lot of guts at times to continue to stand for the faith and Church while loving people regardless.

I never encourage my friends to take communion if they are in mortal sin. I don’t know everything about the Catholic Church but I do know that much.

I guess my question is… how are we supposed to be relevant to our society today if we condemn everything that isn’t based on orthodox Catholic teaching? I find value in all sorts of art forms whether or not their source is a devout Catholic, I love my friendships with a diverse group of people and I think that my faith has a lot more impact on them than if I just separated myself entirely from the world. My friends wouldn’t even know me if that was the case.

This isn’t aimed at you strider, it is just a general statement… but sometimes I find it hard to tell apart ulta-conservative catholics and the fundamentalists I grew up around. Both of them are equally repellant to non-believers.
 
I believe that Hollywood has contributed greatly to the moral worldview of today’s American society…idolatry, materialist, power, sexual intercourse outside of marriage, doing one’s “own thing” & rejection of authority ordained by God (including parental and Church), vengence, immodesty, lust, holiness of the Sabbath, and much more. We may say these things do not effect us, but advertisers would not spend millions on commercial that last for seconds if they could not affect viewers and listeners. Ever so slowly and imperceptably our worldview begins to change and we begin to accept things that would horrify normal and even nominal Christians of a century ago. Thus, we have Catholics rejecting Church authority because it interferes with their independance and convenience, and because the world as seen through television says they are normal and acceptable in doing so. For example, look at the way we accept “living together” as OK today vs 25 years ago, homosexual couples living together as OK, the use of the words “G__ D_m” in many sentences on prime time TV, bare buttocks and exposed breasts on TV, making light of prayer, theft as OK, disobedience to parents as acceptable and parental correction as inacceptable, and on and on.

According to the Catholic faith and our new pope, we are responsible for the enculturation of our faith into society. To do so, our actions either promote or reject the teachings of Christ and lead society to do the same! Thus, I can’t see where watching shows like desperate housewives are simple entertainment (how can we call immorality entertaining?). As I see it, watching such shows can do can do nothing but continue to promote non-Gospel/Catholic morality. In the end, Jesus will seperate the sheep from the goats (you know the story).

As I see it, if the American public does not start saying no to shows that dipict immorality as normal by changing channels or turning off their sets, American morality will continue to decline.

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob
 
40.png
Steph700:
I don’t watch TV to be inspired by direct orthodox Catholic teaching, I watch it for entertainment and to observe the human condition. If you want Catholic teaching then I say read your Bible, go to mass, or watching programming on EWTN (which I like a lot).

Shows like Desperate Housewives may not portray a perfect Catholic family, I’ll give you that. But I’ve never seen a perfect family and if you think you have then I don’t think you’ve evaluated that family very far beyond the surface. There is sin there, there always is, and I think it’s wrong for anyone to put themselves above anyone else- only God knows our hearts. You accuse me of not being around the “right” people- right people being holier-than-thou’s who never sin in any “major” way such as adultery. I challenge you to spend some time around normal people who make mistakes and recognize their mistakes- these are the people Jesus came to save not people who think they are already better than everyone else.

And as far as searching out people who are good regardless of their religion, most of my friends whom I consider good examples of morality are not Catholic. Can you say the same? Do you know many people from many different faith backgrounds? If you do, then that’s great. But if not, then I don’t think people in glass houses should throw stones.
Actually, as an adult convert, I’m one of the *serious, bit-time *sinners that He came to save. Don’t assume that if someone has chosen the narrow gate that they are, as you say, “holier-than-thou” types. In my case, at least, nothing could be farther from the truth.

I still stand by my observation that the people that I know personally (and there are lots of them) who attend Mass every week and who take their faith seriously are NOT hypocrites who start sinning the instant they peel out of the church parking lot. Certainly everyone has their struggles but it is the conscious recognition and avoidance of sin that makes the difference. That doesn’t make one holier-than-anyone. What it does is show evidence that one has been fairly successful at the process of salvation. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

The problem here is that Hollywood depicts the vast majority of Catholics as you have and it simply isn’t accurate. I have yet to see a positive portrayal of one Catholic or Christian in the secular media. Just as an example, the Holy Father is vilified for his fidelity to revealed Truth in the MSM and Mel Gibson is deemed “homoerotic” and an anti-Semite.

Do I have friends of different faiths? Of course. Probably more than most, given the fact that I have lived in the NYC for the vast majority of my life. The people I know well include those of different ethnic backgrounds, socio-economic levels and races as well. (In fact, I have immediate family of different races but that’s a story for another evening.)

As for perfect families, I know several personally, who are not perfect but are about as close as you can come. I know them well below the surface. These are families that struggle to maintain the faith in every facet of our lives, who make sacrifices daily for the sake of our childrens’ future and who make a conscious decision to be in the world but not of it. In short, we do our best. It is not easy, especially given a society as materialistic, cynical and sexually pre-occupied as ours. But, as Jimmy Duggan said, “If it was easy, it wouldn’t be great. Its the hard that makes it great”.

I am not “accusing” you of anything. I am suggesting that making assumptions based on your experiences alone provides a narrow view of life. (It also invalidates the need for positive change.) While we each judge by our own yardstick, the truth is that the majority of people out there are not like the ones portrayed on “Desperate Housewives”. But then, we’re not glamorous or very entertaining and no one would want to watch us. I myself grew up in what would be considered the poster family for dysfunction and have made a conscious decision to “switch crowds” because, in my quest for truth, I found that my family, as well as the people I associated myself with, were the exception, rather than the rule.

Don’t jump to judge people as “holier-than-thou”. Its the virtual equivalent of actually being a “holier-than-thou” type. Instead, listen to what people are saying with an open heart.
 
I think the subject of this thread was whether or not the Madonna and Child picture on Desperate Housewives is anti-Catholic. I noticed it before the author of this thread pointed it out.

Gabrielle, the housewife who is fooling around with the gardner, has it hanging in her living room. She and her husband are supposed to be of Hispanic descent, so I suppose it is normal they would have a Catholic background.

The thing is, the people who write stories are actually artists of sorts. When art is created, it can be interpreted many different ways by those who view it. What the artist had in mind is probably irrevelant. It is true, the person who wrote the script could have had it in his mind to make fun of Catholics, I don’t know. The thing that comes through to me is the contrast between the immoral actions of the characters and the picture hanging on the wall. It does imply that the characters have a religion that they are not living up to. My interpretation is that a fallen-away Catholic viewer who is leading an immoral life could see the picture and be reminded that his/her life is not as it could be.

When Gabrielle told the priest that she was pregnant, he said something like “Children are always a gift!” Is that an anti-Catholic statement? I don’t think so.

I also noticed something similar that could be interpreted as making fun of Christians in general, but it could also be a reminder that gay activity is against Christian morality. The character Bree sent her teen-age son to some kind of camp for wayward boys. In order to get out of there, her son announced that he was gay. After the son comes home, Bree invites the minister to dinner to help her son see the error of his ways. She looks at her son and says, “Andrew! You won’t go to heaven!” However you interpret this, it kind of hits you between the eyes!

I still think that people who condemn this show without ever having watched it should watch it once or twice to see what they think after having seen it themselves.
 
Dj Roy Albert said:
9 out of every 10 shows on TV are garbage (even childrens cartoons).
EWTN is the only network that’s worth watching.

:amen:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top