Anti-Catholicism on Desperate Housewives

  • Thread starter Thread starter striving
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
condan:
the Holy Father is vilified for his fidelity to revealed Truth in the MSM and Mel Gibson is deemed “homoerotic” and an anti-Semite.
The Holy Father “vilified”? You overdramatize. What VILE statements have been made about the Pope?

As for Gibson, such criticism is part of being a movie producer.
As for perfect families, I know several personally, who are not perfect but are about as close as you can come.
In your opinion, of course, and that’s fine. But, don’t be surprised if others don’t share your opinion about the perfection of those people. We all see the world through different glasses.
 
Personally, I found it amazing that Gabrielle actually went to her priest for advice at all! That implies that she is at least a strong cultural Catholic, although obviously not observant. Her character has potential for a personal conversion during her now impending motherhood.

It would be interesting if DHWs ever did an episode based on what happens in the characters’ lives on a typical Sunday. Would they show Carlos and Gabi at Mass --receiving the Eucharist!?

I am thankful at least that so far that the parish priest character seems like a good guy. He’s not hiding any dirty secrets nor is he a fool (thus far…).
 
40.png
Steph700:
I don’t watch TV to be inspired by direct orthodox Catholic teaching, I watch it for entertainment and to observe the human condition. QUOTE]

The really sad thing to me is that so many people find watching garbage like this to be entertaining. I, for one, do know that there is dysfunction in every family. My husband had an affair. It was heart-wrenching for me. I thank God every day that we recovered and are doing well but I cannot imagine seeing adultery as entertainment. This show does not depict the human condition as I experienced it. Really observing the human condition would be seeing the real consequences of this behavior which is a lot of pain,anguish, and genuine grief.

I like more uplifting entertainment. Like they say, “Garbage in, garbage out!” 👍
 
40.png
Steph700:
No, I’m not. I’m a convert in process. I grew up in Bible belt America where evangelical fundamentalists feel that it is their duty to remove themselves from the world, to not allow their children to mingle with “non-believers”, where anything beyong a G-rating in the movie theater is not allowed to be viewed, where alcohol is the devil as is most social dancing.

Around the time I decided to look at Catholicism I also was able to get out into the world a little more, make some friends outside my evangelical bubble and I realized that I never again wanted to be that Christian who was so self-righteous that I looked down my nose at non-believers or believers who have stumbled. Love the sinner, hate the sin is my motto and it’s taken a lot of guts at times to continue to stand for the faith and Church while loving people regardless.

I never encourage my friends to take communion if they are in mortal sin. I don’t know everything about the Catholic Church but I do know that much.

I guess my question is… how are we supposed to be relevant to our society today if we condemn everything that isn’t based on orthodox Catholic teaching? I find value in all sorts of art forms whether or not their source is a devout Catholic, I love my friendships with a diverse group of people and I think that my faith has a lot more impact on them than if I just separated myself entirely from the world. My friends wouldn’t even know me if that was the case.

This isn’t aimed at you strider, it is just a general statement… but sometimes I find it hard to tell apart ulta-conservative catholics and the fundamentalists I grew up around. Both of them are equally repellant to non-believers.
I originally was going to post an event from my life regarding holier than thou people. Now, I’m just gonna say BRAVO! You are a good woman to not want to be like the arrogant self-righteous Pharisees of our day, of any religious belief. Judge the sin, not the sinner.
 
40.png
BlindSheep:
Thanks. I’m going out to commit adultery right now, so I can be normal like your friends. Then I too, can be one of those Jesus came to save!
What do you mean to say by this?

You are a sinner, of course, and you are reconciled to God only because Jesus did come to save you. You do not come to God; God comes to you. This is our Catholic faith. Every virtue you live, every sin you evade, is such purely because of the pure gift that comes to you as the grace of God. Even your ability to accept those graces is a gift… that is the depth of our poverty before God. Why would you make a joke that could be construed as meaning otherwise?

You think sin shouldn’t be so “normalized” that it isn’t even seen as sin, nor should a virtuous life be hidden under a basket to avoid upsetting the neighbors. I hear you. But please be careful about your witticisms. You might give people the wrong idea.
 
40.png
edmundkarol:
The Holy Father “vilified”? You overdramatize. What VILE statements have been made about the Pope?
“God’s Rottweiller” Being compared to a dog is vile.
40.png
edmundkarol:
As for Gibson, such criticism is part of being a movie producer.
I’ve never heard of anyone before or since who has been the object of such vitriole. Further, this “criticism” was not leveled at Braveheart or The Patriot. It was aimed at a film depicting the crucifixion of Christ and it was virtually universal from the MSM. That level of venom isn’t part of being a movie producer. Rather, its saved for those who have, shall we say, “deeply held beliefs”.
40.png
edmundkarol:
In your opinion, of course, and that’s fine. But, don’t be surprised if others don’t share your opinion about the perfection of those people. We all see the world through different glasses.
No, the functioning, commitment and love that exists in the observant families that I know is fact, not opinion. Opinion refers to taste, and yes, they may not be to your liking. Putting your family first, making sacrifices and being subordinate to others may not be for you but it is the stuff of which successful families are made. Again, that’s fact.

We have a tendency to judge others by our own yardstick. I did so for far too many years. Coming from a dysfunctional family with adultery and abuse (among other things) led me to believe, wrongly, that everyone else operated in the same way. When I got out into the big world and made it my business to meet and associate with people who were different, I found how wrong I was.

Thank God.
 
40.png
condan:
Maybe you can help me since I haven’t seen network TV in more than 15 years: Where are the devout, kind, healthy and functioning Catholic families and individuals to add balance to the adulterers, hitmen and otherwise dishonest Catholics that are portrayed in our media?
Well, there’s Joan of Arcadia. No, sorry, they cancelled that last week due to poor ratings.
 
condan said:
“God’s Rottweiller” Being compared to a dog is vile.

Since his own coat of arms identifies him with a bear being used as a pack animal, I don’t think he’d find the metaphor so offensive as all that.

Rottweillers are powerful and athletic, and when they do guard duty, they give no quarter. They are loyal friends to those they defend, terrors that give pause to those who might otherwise break in or attack. To call him “God’s Rottweiller” need not be meant or taken as an insult, and there is good reason to believe that he would not take it as such.
 
40.png
BLB_Oregon:
Since his own coat of arms identifies him with a bear being used as a pack animal, I don’t think he’d find the metaphor so offensive as all that.

Rottweillers are powerful and athletic, and when they do guard duty, they give no quarter. They are loyal friends to those they defend, terrors that give pause to those who might otherwise break in or attack. To call him “God’s Rottweiller” need not be meant or taken as an insult, and there is good reason to believe that he would not take it as such.
I know more about Rotties than most since I owned one for 11 1/2 years until last Monday when she passed in her sleep. You are right in your description. However, that is not the public’s perception of the breed (people recoil when you tell them you have a Rottweiller.). Those who used the expression were not using it in the same knowing light as your description. Rather, they are hostile to the Pope, his office and our faith. They used the phrase not to describe friendly fidelity but to give a mental picture of an attack dog. Not exactly a flattering pose.
 
Momofone:
I originally was going to post an event from my life regarding holier than thou people. Now, I’m just gonna say BRAVO! You are a good woman to not want to be like the arrogant self-righteous Pharisees of our day, of any religious belief. Judge the sin, not the sinner.
Yes. Let us start by judging the sin of Hollywood in portraying the typical stay-home Christian family mom as a closet sexaholic wanna-be. The Christians that have mothers that stay home with their kids are not perfect - but they are exceptional next to the culture of death that surrounds us. They do all that they do with little or no cultural support system, limited funds, and much, much mockery from the same culture. This show’s very title is an attack on my family and many good families that I know. It is a disgrace that should not be supported by the viewing eyes of any that call themselves Christian. I am not the least bit surprised that this show was put out by the network owned by Disney - the sham of family entertainment. Shame on those that defend it as entertainment or observeration of the “human condition”. Give me a break. Watch shows and movies that lift the family up, not tear them down to the lowest common denominator of our gutter-filled minds.
 
40.png
striving:
I am not a viewer of primetime TV, in my opinion, it has gotten almost unbelievably crass. However, this morning, I was watching Good Morning America while getting ready for work. They showed an excerpt from an upcoming scene in Desperate Housewives. How disturbing! This is the scene: a women is very upset to find out she’s pregnant and accuses her husband of rigging her birth control pills. The real reason she’s freaking out is that she is not sure who the father is as , apparently, she’s having an affair with a poolboy or something of that nature. Throughout the entire scene, there is a prominent backdrop of The Modonna with Child in the Background!!!
I am really tired of Hollywood depicting ie. serial killers with pictures of The Sacred Heart in their bedroom, prostitutes with rosaries around their necks etc…Has anyone else noticed???
Get over it. There are bad people in the world and since Catholics are numerous there are a lot of bad people who are Catholic. Adolf Hitler was Catholic. Remember that “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”
 
40.png
OriginalJS:
Get over it. There are bad people in the world and since Catholics are numerous there are a lot of bad people who are Catholic. Adolf Hitler was Catholic. Remember that “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”
Yes. And there are a whole lot of souls in Hell as a result. This isn’t something to get over (normalizing Catholic family indecency). This is something to confront vigorously - opposition to the culture of death is paramount if we are to escape eternal damnation. Casual acceptance of sin doesn’t fly in the eyes of God.
 
40.png
striving:
I am not a viewer of primetime TV, in my opinion, it has gotten almost unbelievably crass. However, this morning, I was watching Good Morning America while getting ready for work. They showed an excerpt from an upcoming scene in Desperate Housewives. How disturbing! This is the scene: a women is very upset to find out she’s pregnant and accuses her husband of rigging her birth control pills. The real reason she’s freaking out is that she is not sure who the father is as , apparently, she’s having an affair with a poolboy or something of that nature. Throughout the entire scene, there is a prominent backdrop of The Modonna with Child in the Background!!!
I am really tired of Hollywood depicting ie. serial killers with pictures of The Sacred Heart in their bedroom, prostitutes with rosaries around their necks etc…Has anyone else noticed???
I think this is reaching a little, i understand hollywood tends to be anti Catholic at times, however we cant get overly sensitive and start digging for discrimination.
 
40.png
condan:
I’ve never heard of anyone before or since who has been the object of such vitriole. Further, this “criticism” was not leveled at Braveheart or The Patriot. It was aimed at a film depicting the crucifixion of Christ and it was virtually universal from the MSM.
I, for one, am totally unsympathetic to Gibson. I thought some scenes in the film were sadistic, myself. But, that’s just film criticism, my opinion. BTW, The Patriot was a piece of junk, wholly untrue to actual history. Again, just a personal opinion.

And Gibson made big bucks from that film - no, big, big bucks. He’s also a big boy and has to take praise and censure equally.
That level of venom isn’t part of being a movie producer.
Try Michael Cimino and his piece of excrement, Heaven’s Gate.
No, the functioning, commitment and love that exists in the observant families that I know is fact, not opinion.
I agree with EdmundKarol. By definition, your evaluation of non-tangibles is your opinion. That it may possibly contain some truth doesn’t detract from it being opinion.
Putting your family first, making sacrifices and being subordinate to others may not be for you but it is the stuff of which successful families are made.
How right you are. Those of us who might disagree with you obviously don’t put stock in putting our families first, making sacrifices, or being subordinate to others. We don’t want successful families. Such an insult only makes me disbelieve your description of those “perfect” families.
 
40.png
striving:
I am not a viewer of primetime TV, in my opinion, it has gotten almost unbelievably crass. However, this morning, I was watching Good Morning America while getting ready for work. They showed an excerpt from an upcoming scene in Desperate Housewives. How disturbing! This is the scene: a women is very upset to find out she’s pregnant and accuses her husband of rigging her birth control pills. The real reason she’s freaking out is that she is not sure who the father is as , apparently, she’s having an affair with a poolboy or something of that nature. Throughout the entire scene, there is a prominent backdrop of The Modonna with Child in the Background!!!
I am really tired of Hollywood depicting ie. serial killers with pictures of The Sacred Heart in their bedroom, prostitutes with rosaries around their necks etc…Has anyone else noticed???
Another show for the feeble minded.
 
So, anyone who watches tv shows for entertainment are somehow feeble minded?
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
So, anyone who watches tv shows for entertainment are somehow feeble minded?
You are right to modify the adjective with “somehow.”
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Richardols,

That is fairly broad brush you are insulting with.
Am I? Tell me about the “reality” shows, about “Will and Grace,” about the other stupid comedies, about the “franchise” CSI shows, about the other cops shows, etc. About the sexual innuendo on all the networks.

A truly intelligent person simply doesn’t lower his mind to the level needed to “enjoy” that trash. It’s all a part of the dumbing down of America.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top