Any non-Latin Rite Catholics here?

• Thread starter Thread starter UnworthySoul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnworthySoul

Just curious, I’m in the Diocese of Richmond, notorious for it’s rampant liberalism and have begun to find myself drawn to the Maronite Rite of the church. I truly wish to experience a service at a Maronite parish (thankfully fully in union with Rome) as I have a desire to hear the chanting and Aramaic spoken during the service. The more I study about the Maronite Rite the more fascinated and drawn to it I seem to be.

So I’m just wondering if there are any Maronites or Byzantines or any other members of the different but fully valid Rites of the church here.

Hello,
Byzantine Catholic here (Rutherian).
I was baptised and confirmed in the rite, but became (as a little kid and not my decision) Roman rite, however just returned to Byzantine in Oct 2002.
I belong to a small parish (they all seem to be small) and that is one of the reasons why I have received the most out of my experience there.

So, I’m just learning the rite still (and the 8 tones 🙂 ) but I do have the “Lord, have mercy” down pretty well.

Go with God!
Edwin

Diaconate here. Ukrainaian Greek Catholic from birth. Left the church for awhile but luckly seen the errors of my ways. I have deeper appreciaton of my rite now and I never want to lose again.

There are at least two Byzantine Rite Catholics and a Marion Rite Catholic that have posted. Under the Questions/Complaints/Kudos Forum you can find a couple of the threads, as well as under the liturgical abuse thread you can find a couple of posts. I don’t recall their handles, but I think the two Byzantine Rite Catholics both started with Byz so you could look under that in the members and that would get you close. (Go to Members, B, scroll down to Byz, view posts of either and then hop onto one of those threads… I think you’ll find a couple of the non-Latin-Rite Catholics here that way.)

I’m Melkite, a recent scism jumper from Orthodoxy. Savor the Riches of the East – learn to breathe with both lungs – just don’t rush into Eastern rites as a reaction problems you see in the West. Move slowy. I’ll be praying for you.

40.png
Maggie:
There are at least two Byzantine Rite Catholics and a Marion Rite Catholic that have posted. Under the Questions/Complaints/Kudos Forum you can find a couple of the threads, as well as under the liturgical abuse thread you can find a couple of posts. I don’t recall their handles, but I think the two Byzantine Rite Catholics both started with Byz so you could look under that in the members and that would get you close. (Go to Members, B, scroll down to Byz, view posts of either and then hop onto one of those threads… I think you’ll find a couple of the non-Latin-Rite Catholics here that way.)
My Screen Name doesn’t start with ‘B’ 😉

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
Edwin1961:
My Screen Name doesn’t start with ‘B’ 😉

Go with God!
Edwin
…nor does mine! 😉

a pilgrim

(who is also a Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic by birth)

I know I know!!! But I think that in looking at those threads, that’s how I figured out that you guys were non-Latin-Rite Catholics… it was a start… sometimes people need a hand, I just thought I’d try, since you guys had already replied, to point the poor soul to some others who were feeling equally left out. What’s a girl gotta do to just be charitable around here 😃 . Oh, I’m sorry, should that word have been “busybody” instead… 😛

40.png
Maggie:
I know I know!!! But I think that in looking at those threads, that’s how I figured out that you guys were non-Latin-Rite Catholics… it was a start… sometimes people need a hand, I just thought I’d try, since you guys had already replied, to point the poor soul to some others who were feeling equally left out. What’s a girl gotta do to just be charitable around here 😃 . Oh, I’m sorry, should that word have been “busybody” instead… 😛
You’re forgiven 🙂
Edwin

Hi, Maggie!

Actually, I’m thrilled to find that somebody even reads my posts… believe me - I don’t mind at all if they miss my “name”…

…I was kinda thinkin’ of changing it to “a bilgrim” anyway (y’know… to fit in with your “B” theory for the Byzantines), but I kinda think it sorta loses somethin’ in the translation!
😃

Seriously, Maggie, thanks for stepping in and helping UnworthySoul find us “Easterners!”

a bilgrim

*Hmmmm… Nah! Think I’ll go back to being “a pilgrim”… 😉 *

My user name starts with a B!!! :whacky:

I am a Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic from birth but it is a long story…

I currently attend a Melkite parish…

Am in the process of applying for the priesthood with the Byzantine Eparchy of Parma… (prayers requested)…:gopray2:

40.png
ByzCath:
…Am in the process of applying for the priesthood with the Byzantine Eparchy of Parma… (prayers requested)…:gopray2:
David,

Slava Isusu Christu!

You are already in my daily prayers, and have been since I read an earlier post of yours in which you indicated a calling to the priesthood.

The Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma, as you are no doubt aware, is currently represented by just two seminarians… that’s two future priests to serve the spiritual needs of over 12,000 Byzantine Catholic faithful spread over a 12-state area. Obviously we have reached “crisis mode” with regard to our priesthood!

Your calling to the priesthood, David, is a gift from the Holy Spirit not just to you, but to our entire eparchy. The best way we as Catholic faithful can repay that gift is with an outpouring of our prayers for the success of your vocation, and for the vocations of many, MANY others!

Mnohaja i blahaja l’ita!

a pilgrim

40.png
ByzCath:
My user name starts with a B!!! :whacky:

I am a Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic from birth but it is a long story…

I currently attend a Melkite parish…

Am in the process of applying for the priesthood with the Byzantine Eparchy of Parma… (prayers requested)…:gopray2:
My prayers go out to you as well.
I am in the ‘backyard’ of the Eparchy, and in your hopeful training, that if you were to meet our Pastor Fr. Bryan Eyman, you will be enlightened by his charm, knowledge and wit.

Go with God!
Edwin

David,

You have my prayers and you also might eventually think about the eparchy of Van Nuys (hint hint 😉 )

40.png
Dolly:
David,

…and you also might eventually think about the eparchy of Van Nuys (hint hint 😉 )
Ahhh… the Left-Coast Byzantines! Way too modern for this ol’ Rusyn’s tastes! 😉

Rumor has it that you guys even have ***pews!! *PLEASE… say it isn’t so!!

😃 😃 😃 😃 😃

Maggie said:
:confused: :confused: You guys don’t have pews? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Traditon has it that when the Church was found after Christ’s resurrection/anscension, the early Christians started to occupy homes and then old Jewish places of worship.
The Tradition is to stand, because it is a sign of praise and the fact that Christ rose from the dead…

Pews only started after the Reformation. And then the churches of all faiths started to install pews.

If Fr. Bryan has his was, and I know he will, we will have limited pews for the elderly. I’d rather stand anyway.

Go with God!
Edwin

This thread is a little dead, but I just wanted to greet my Eastern brothers and sisters who might be on the forum. I’m a Latin rite individual but I have great respect for your traditions.

I’ve attended Ruthenian-Byzantine Divine Liturgy in Houston at St. John Chrysostom parish at least 4 times, twice with guests to show them how it is. I’m planning a field trip there with some of my college friends again this summer, and I hope to make it to Pittsburgh some day to see some of the Churches there and go to Divine Liturgy.

If any of you come back to this thread, I’m curious if you Priesthood candidates are married. Just curious. I’m hearing both that married Byzantines cannot be ordained and that they now can, but I don’t know what’s true. Peace in Christ-

40.png
Rocky8311:
If any of you come back to this thread, I’m curious if you Priesthood candidates are married. Just curious. I’m hearing both that married Byzantines cannot be ordained and that they now can, but I don’t know what’s true. Peace in Christ-
Well, only speaking for myself, my understanding among the Ruthenian laity is that it is in the laps of the bishops, who at this time seem to be just sitting still. I just hope and pray that the will of the church and, I believe, the Holy Spirit will be done sooner rather than later 🙂 .

a pilgrim:
Ahhh… the Left-Coast Byzantines! Way too modern for this ol’ Rusyn’s tastes! 😉

Rumor has it that you guys even have ***pews!! ***PLEASE… say it isn’t so!!
Modern you say! It’s the latinized east that drags its feet 😛 . And, ya gotta have churches before ya have pews! And there ain’t that many (churches that is):(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back