Anyone Ever Feel Like Leaving the Church?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CountrySinger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a Catholic deliberately leaves the Church despite knowing that the Church is the Church of Christ, then he or she goes to hell, so be careful.

Also the devil tempts people to leave the Church. Whoever attacks the Church has been told to do so by the devil.
 
CountrySinger, don’t’ feel alone because there are those of us out there that are Catholic but struggling with the faith. At the moment, I’m one of these people. Prior to getting married I felt strongly about being married in the Catholic church, raising our kids Catholic, and living a life centered around the Catholic church. Then little by little it seems that the Catholic church isn’t right for my husband and I. It started with being told that our marriage, due to DH not being baptised, is not a sacrament. How could something so awesome as marrying this guy not be considered a sacrament because of a decision his parents made many years ago? How could he not being raised in any church, but still having a deep faith in God, mean that our marriage is sort of ‘less’ than other marriages? Then it was going to mass and realizing that the main part of mass wouldn’t be shared between the two of us. If God is supposed to be the most important part of our marriage, then how can this be when one of us can’t participate and may only participate if they sign on the dotted line. Next it was looking around and one day feeling that mass was more about the pomp and circumstance than about furthering an understanding of God and his word.
.
Takers,
My sister is married to an unbaptized man too. Please don’t think that simply because your marriage isn’t a Sacrament, the Church doesn’t consider your marriage to be sacramental. The Church does consider all valid marriages sacred and beautiful espressions of love. The sadness is only that because your husband has not recieved the graces of baptism he hasn’t freely opened the door to recieving the graces that come with a sacramental marriage - which are very helpful, but not necessary for having a beautiful marriage. You’re very blessed to have a husband with a deep faith in God (my BIL is an atheist - still, an amazing guy!)

Also, the main part of Mass can be shared between you. While he can’t recieve, he can pray throughout the consecration with you and he can make a spiritual communion while you make your communion, then pray with you afterwards.

Please don’t look at it as “signing on the dotted line” so much as it is a relationship. While your husband is an excellent man, he hasn’t created this relationship, so it would be strange and wrong for him to participate in so intimate an act as consuming the Lord.

Sorry, Country Singer, that this is a little off focus!

blessings,
Masha
 
If a Catholic deliberately leaves the Church despite knowing that the Church is the Church of Christ, then he or she goes to hell, so be careful.

Also the devil tempts people to leave the Church. Whoever attacks the Church has been told to do so by the devil.
I totally agree KC. And, there is no hotter spot in hell as that reserved for those that attack from within the Church. As a Catholic since Easter vigil '10, I believe that the Jack Chicks of the world present little threat to our Church. Their agenda is clear to the world. However, attacks from within are a different story. There is no greater sin than pretending to be a Catholic while all the time working against her and corrupting the faithful. If you refuse to believe, then leave (hey, I may have stumbled on a sig)…
 
I know if I did those things I want to do (believe me, I would love to have sex, high libido sucks when you are single), I would feel this horrible guilt. It has kept me out of trouble on many occasions. I could do it, but the guilt would make it no fun, you know? If I fall off the wagon, I never could get back on. The guilt would be too much.
Reading through your various posts, I would say that your “conversion” has been a life-changing experience. That is good! But, as you’ve seen, it’s also bad. Your old way was fun, and now it’s gone. Your old friends just don’t understand. Your conversion is getting in the way of marriage and kids.

I would ask this - your behavior has changed - has your attitude? It seems like right now your faith is about everything you can’t have, everything you can’t do.

Do you believe that Jesus is the son of God, who died for our sins and is present in the Eucharist? If you believe, you know what you have to do. If you don’t, have you just adopted a morality system?
 
"KC:
If a Catholic deliberately leaves the Church despite knowing that the Church is the Church of Christ, then he or she goes to hell, so be careful.

Also the devil tempts people to leave the Church. Whoever attacks the Church has been told to do so by the devil.
I totally agree KC. And, there is no hotter spot in hell as that reserved for those that attack from within the Church. As a Catholic since Easter vigil '10, I believe that the Jack Chicks of the world present little threat to our Church. Their agenda is clear to the world. However, attacks from within are a different story. There is no greater sin than pretending to be a Catholic while all the time working against her and corrupting the faithful. If you refuse to believe, then leave (hey, I may have stumbled on a sig)…
Seriously guys, why build on a negative feeling for someone who is already having a crisis of faith. What you’re portraying is faith through fear rather than faith through love. If you two are representative of the norm at her church, then I don’t blame her for thinking of leaving. :rolleyes:
 
I honestly don’t know what I believe anymore. All I know is that I hate being told what to do. Love God or go to Hell? Why don’t you all put a gun to my head. You can’t force love. Love is a choice, not made under duress. It would be like me putting a gun to some guy’s head and telling him to marry me. He might do it, but it would be out of fear, not love.

Do I love God? Until I can say “yes” withoug feeling like I have to, I don’t know. He has put me through the ringer, I’ve had a very tough life. Or be Catholic or go to Hell (my mom said that as well). That isn’t going to build true faith.
 
I honestly don’t know what I believe anymore. All I know is that I hate being told what to do. Love God or go to Hell? Why don’t you all put a gun to my head. You can’t force love. Love is a choice, not made under duress. It would be like me putting a gun to some guy’s head and telling him to marry me. He might do it, but it would be out of fear, not love.

Do I love God? Until I can say “yes” withoug feeling like I have to, I don’t know. He has put me through the ringer, I’ve had a very tough life. Or be Catholic or go to Hell (my mom said that as well). That isn’t going to build true faith.
Your right about this. You can’t force alot of feelings and thoughts.

We all have nights of doubt, most of us will admit this.

One thing to remember is God loves you no matter what-His love is everlasting and eternal.

Your in my prayers Countrysinger!
 
Seriously guys, why build on a negative feeling for someone who is already having a crisis of faith. What you’re portraying is faith through fear rather than faith through love. If you two are representative of the norm at her church, then I don’t blame her for thinking of leaving. :rolleyes:
Great minds think alike! 🙂
They remind me of some people at hometown parish. They were practically ready to burn me when I came back to the Church. I’m used to the fact that most Catholics will hate me.
 
Faith through fear is often effective. Salvation is the goal and fear is a justified means of gaining it for yourself and others.

Faith through love? Well since the spirit of Vatican II (disclaimer: I accept V2 and it’s documents) when many of the powerful and important of the Church tried this, the faithful left in droves, damning many souls to hell.

A tough life is sometimes a test of endurance sent by god. If you are tired of being a crusader, which thank god you were, then have you considered a vocation to the convent? There is internal peace to be found there. There all your surroundings and people are Catholic and you won’t have to defend in debate.

The One, Holy, Roman, Catholic and Apostolic Church is founded on the rock of Peter which will be rock hard until the end of time, not softening itself for the sake of the light hearted.
 
Faith through fear is often effective. Salvation is the goal and fear is a justified means of gaining it for yourself and others.

Faith through love? Well since the spirit of Vatican II (disclaimer: I accept V2 and it’s documents) when many of the powerful and important of the Church tried this, the faithful left in droves, damning many souls to hell.

A tough life is sometimes a test of endurance sent by god. If you are tired of being a crusader, which thank god you were, then have you considered a vocation to the convent? There is internal peace to be found there. There all your surroundings and people are Catholic and you won’t have to defend in debate.

The One, Holy, Roman, Catholic and Apostolic Church is founded on the rock of Peter which will be rock hard until the end of time, not softening itself for the sake of the light hearted.
I was a postulant at a convent, and I hated it! I’m so glad I got out. I can’t handle the life of celibacy (that was the huge hurdle). Convents are called a hospital for sinners, but I think I need an ICU. And sex. 😉 Even my mother superior said I was meant for married life. I worked with kids, and the ache for them was too much.
 
CS, you just need to chill out and stop worrying about it. You can listen to people who bang on about going to hell and froth from the mouth about rules, or you can go out there and have a good life and try and find that love for God. You need to take a different perspective from the one you have.
 
‘Good life’ - the ultimate temptation of Satan, for a life that is free of the constraints of God, natural law and Holy Mother Church.
 
I honestly don’t know what I believe anymore. All I know is that I hate being told what to do. Love God or go to Hell? Why don’t you all put a gun to my head. You can’t force love. Love is a choice, not made under duress. It would be like me putting a gun to some guy’s head and telling him to marry me. He might do it, but it would be out of fear, not love.

Do I love God? Until I can say “yes” withoug feeling like I have to, I don’t know. He has put me through the ringer, I’ve had a very tough life. Or be Catholic or go to Hell (my mom said that as well). That isn’t going to build true faith.
The reason I asked about belief is that sometimes I am really angry at the Church, but I believe that the Church was instituted by Christ, and there is no where else to go.

If you believe in the Resurrection, or Christmas, quite frankly you’ll believe anything! I mean that in a good way. Start there. Do you believe that Jesus was born and walked the earth and had a ministry in Galilee? Or, do you believe He rose from the dead? If you do, you have no reason to doubt anything else.

You are right - threatening someone who is having a crisis of faith with hell isn’t really a winning strategy for apologetics. I would say, instead, that you are loved and as you struggle with your faith and faith in everyday life, the Lord is with you.
 
40.png
KC91:
Faith through fear is often effective. Salvation is the goal and fear is a justified means of gaining it for yourself and others.

Faith through love? Well since the spirit of Vatican II (disclaimer: I accept V2 and it’s documents) when many of the powerful and important of the Church tried this, the faithful left in droves, damning many souls to hell.

A tough life is sometimes a test of endurance sent by god. If you are tired of being a crusader, which thank god you were, then have you considered a vocation to the convent? There is internal peace to be found there. There all your surroundings and people are Catholic and you won’t have to defend in debate.

The One, Holy, Roman, Catholic and Apostolic Church is founded on the rock of Peter which will be rock hard until the end of time, not softening itself for the sake of the light hearted.
I am baffled as to how you can think that scaring the **** out of the masses is the most effective way for the Christian faith to reach out to the people. Can you not see how a fear of God, invalidates any love for God?

CS have you ever thought of attending a different church?
 
For the last month and a half. I’ve been having doubts, I mean serious doubts about my faith (like I have issues with most, if not all, of the Church’s beliefs). I’m just tired of defending it against other people, including my own family (I’m the only Catholic left after my mother died). It would be easier to give up and go back to my old life, I had a lot more friends, men, and fun. I guess I’m just tired, I’m tired of being the crusader, I just want to be a 28 year old woman, find a husband, and raise a family.

So my question is: has anyone else felt this way? Or am I just a weirdo? Or is this a sign from God that I should switch religions? :confused:
I have felt this way too, especially in the past few months. I’ve always been chaste and conformed to the Catholic beliefs I grew up with. But I find many (not all) of their restrictions too repressive to take seriously. I find some contradictions that can’t be explained away. It wasn’t until the past few months that my faith in the Catholic Church was shaken and I was ready to leave. I’ve never experienced the repression, restrictions and depression that I’ve been led to believe is what it means to be Catholic and began to doubt everything I was raised to believe. Recognizing the moral authority of the Church is extremely difficult for me because of the, “do as I say but not as I do” reality that reflects back at me when I look at the Church.

One of the reasons why I didn’t leave is because no other religion has the Eucharist, the Trinity, Ascension, Assumption, and all the other things that together make the CC different from the other religions. So remember if you leave, you won’t have these things. There isn’t a religion sufficiently “similar” otherwise others would go too 😉 But the other reason why I didn’t leave is because I finally sat down with our paster and talked with him about all the things that disturmed me and he put my mind at ease by explaining to me that the Church isn’t as restrictive as some would lead others to believe. However, I’m already the most traditional person I know, so it didn’t take much for him to do so. Maybe it would be helpful for you to talk to your priest, or a priest you don’t know, about what bothers you most. Perhaps he can guide you and help you to sort out why you’re having such problems.

Whatever you do, please don’t stop praying. It’s very important.
 
‘Good life’ - the ultimate temptation of Satan, for a life that is free of the constraints of God, natural law and Holy Mother Church.
DUDE! CHILL!

I am living the GOOD LIFE right now. I am a Catholic who has been married for 26 years (to the same woman), have three beautiful kids, have a roof over my head, and food on the table. I go to confession regularly, run 15 miles a week, and am trying to learn compassion for my fellow man.

What in the world do YOU think the good life is and why do you think it’s from Satan?
 
I don’t have to think it, it is a historical fact. The faifthful were very devout when the Council of Trent decreed that those who did not accept the Church’s doctrines were anathema.

Acceptance of God and obedience to him is more important than love as love is a temporary feeling that can be washed away with different emotions.

Oh and Shadark it is against the forum rules to try to proselytise Catholics.
 
‘Good life’ - the ultimate temptation of Satan, for a life that is free of the constraints of God, natural law and Holy Mother Church.
Your comments are pretty much perpetuating my original ones on why she is thinking of leaving the church. Why does Satan need temptation, when he’s got people like you in the church? :rolleyes:
 
The ‘good life’ can be either good or bad depending on the context it is lived in. If it is enjoying life within the confines of the holy Catholic faith then it is good, but if it is enjoying life deliberately outside and against the faith then it is bad.
 
Maybe I’m wrong. I’m a brand new Catholic. If I am please tell me. But, I feel that if I can’t accept God’s truth through reason; then I accept it through faith. If I can do neither, then I had better accept it through FEAR. Because God is a just God. He is patient but there is a limit. I believe that His patience only extends to my last breath.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top