Anyone here working ON Christmas day?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whatevergirl

Guest
*My dh has to work for half a day on Christmas, he works for Disney’s reservation center in Tampa. Being in the hospitality business, these places never close. It’ll be just the kiddos and me for dinner, then. :o I’m sad my husband won’t be there to have Christmas dinner with us this year. I had the option to go see my sister in south florida, but I’m not going to drive on Christmas for 4 hours south to do that, nah. So, we’ll be seeing her the following week. My dh doesn’t have to be at work until 2pm, so we can have the morning together at least, and I didn’t want to miss at least that time with him. The kids and I could have gone to spend it with his brother, and his brother’s family…but, again, more driving. It’s a two hour drive, one way, and I didn’t feel like doing that. So, it’ll be very quiet and peaceful this year–I am used to big gatherings, it’ll be different.

Just curious if anyone else here has to work ON Christmas day? *
 
Yup…musician.

Mass at 4 at another location, dinner with other working musicians, then to the late night mass, then again one more on Christmas day. (usually have 2 on Christmas).

and yes, this is work.
 
NO! And this is the first time in 5 years that DH has off for Christmas AND Christmas Eve! The last 5 years he’s worked 24 hours all day Christmas, and occasionally 24 hours all Eve as well.

I’m so excited!

Why not just wait with the Christmas dinner? I mean, Christmas isn’t over that day, you know? And thank God it’s just a 1/2 day, right?
 
Yes, unfortunately I am supposed to be out of the country on Christmas if everything goes as planned. I’ll be heading to work in cold, cold Siberia. Not sure what I did to deserve this - I guess I just pulled the short straw at work.
 
Yup…musician.

Mass at 4 at another location, dinner with other working musicians, then to the late night mass, then again one more on Christmas day. (usually have 2 on Christmas).

and yes, this is work.
Wow ok…so will you get to spend time with family? Do you play guitar? I want to say you chimed in to a thread about my dd’s gutiar playing way back when.
 
My family time, is usually on Christmas evening. Yes, I play guitar, but this year I’m playing piano and singing.
 
NO! And this is the first time in 5 years that DH has off for Christmas AND Christmas Eve! The last 5 years he’s worked Christmas, and occasionally Eve as well.

I’m so excited!

Why not just wait with the Christmas dinner? I mean, Christmas isn’t over that day, you know? And thank God it’s just a 1/2 day, right?
Oh that’s awesome, I feel your excitement! He had thanksgiving off, and also has Christmas Eve, and NY’s Eve…so guess we can’t win 'em all. lol Well, he won’t be home until 9pm…I guess we could eat that late. :hmmm: I’ll ask him if he wants us to do that…
 
My family time, is usually on Christmas evening. Yes, I play guitar, but this year I’m playing piano and singing.
*I dunno, are you sure this is work? 😉 😛 lol

You are blessed to have these talents and to be using them this way, I think that is wonderful, agape. *
 
Yes, unfortunately I am supposed to be out of the country on Christmas if everything goes as planned. I’ll be heading to work in cold, cold Siberia. Not sure what I did to deserve this - I guess I just pulled the short straw at work.
:eek: Siberia? Wow!! Do you travel a lot for your job? Will you be completely out of reach of family?
 
Well, I will have to share this thread with dh…he thinks he is alone in this. :o
 
I’m not working on Christmas, but I have done it many times in the past. I suspect that you might not feel really enthusiastic about celebrating a holiday while your husband has to work. I just want to let you know that while I would have preferred to be off, the days that I did work on Christmas were actually some of the most relaxed and enjoyable work days I ever had. So, don’t worry too much about your husband, because I will bet his co-workers will all be doing little things to make it a nice day at work too. Maybe you can send him in with some goodies to share. Hope you enjoy your Christmas morning together as a family and that you and your kids find some fun that day too!
 
:eek: Siberia? Wow!! Do you travel a lot for your job? Will you be completely out of reach of family?
Yea, I travel a lot but I’ve always been lucky enough to be home for Christmas. I am sure I’ll be able to give them a call and check in but I hate being gone with young children at home. I am sure half a day at work will fly by and you can still enjoy Christmas morning.
 
A co-worker on one of my projects has a year end activity for the software application he supports. Every year, all day on the 25th and 26th they work round the clock to get this done. Every year.

I personally think it is cruel and unusually punishment - but it’s what the client demands, so no one balks. 😦

~Liza
 
A co-worker on one of my projects has a year end activity for the software application he supports. Every year, all day on the 25th and 26th they work round the clock to get this done. Every year.

I personally think it is cruel and unusually punishment - but it’s what the client demands, so no one balks. 😦

~Liza
*That’s horrible. The client can wait! That makes me mad reading that, liza. Just like Disney being open…it’s like when did this start happening? Businesses used to be closed on Sundays, now they are open 24/7…everyday, including holidays. Even the mailman gets a day off. :o

I am so grateful that he weathered all the layoffs, considering he is far from the senior person in his dept. But, his performance saved him, and we have much to be thankful to God for that. My dh knows that, but we have always always spent Christmas together, except for two years when we were separated. Oh well, chin up! Worse things could be happening. DD had an idea to bake cookies all day long until we drop. lol I dunno about that. . *
 
I’m not working on Christmas, but I have done it many times in the past. I suspect that you might not feel really enthusiastic about celebrating a holiday while your husband has to work. I just want to let you know that while I would have preferred to be off, the days that I did work on Christmas were actually some of the most relaxed and enjoyable work days I ever had. So, don’t worry too much about your husband, because I will bet his co-workers will all be doing little things to make it a nice day at work too. Maybe you can send him in with some goodies to share. Hope you enjoy your Christmas morning together as a family and that you and your kids find some fun that day too!
Thank you, this makes me feel better. You’re right, I could send him to work with some goodies, for everyone…hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!
 
Siberia! I think that takes the cake. :eek:

When I graduated from college, I went over a year without a job and had to work as a manager at Blockbuster Video. I got stuck working every holiday including Christmas even though I had told my employer in the interview that I was Christian and wouldn’t work on Sundays or Catholic holy days. That promise went down the drain the minute I transferred from the training store to my new store. When I told my new manager about the hiring conditions, she just looked at me and said “So? We’re probably all Christians so you’re working.”:mad:

Please, please don’t support businesses by shopping or renting on Christmas! It ruins people’s holidays. Unfortunately, Americans are really big on watching movies on Christmas day (it’s a good way to escape family or nullify the opportunity to spend time together/ fight about something).

I’m sorry your husband has to work on Christmas, Whatevergirl.
 
Siberia! I think that takes the cake. :eek:

When I graduated from college, I went over a year without a job and had to work as a manager at Blockbuster Video. I got stuck working every holiday including Christmas even though I had told my employer in the interview that I was Christian and wouldn’t work on Sundays or Catholic holy days. That promise went down the drain the minute I transferred from the training store to my new store. When I told my new manager about the hiring conditions, she just looked at me and said “So? We’re probably all Christians so you’re working.”:mad:

Please, please don’t support businesses by shopping or renting on Christmas! It ruins people’s holidays. Unfortunately, Americans are really big on watching movies on Christmas day (it’s a good way to escape family or nullify the opportunity to spend time together/ fight about something).

I’m sorry your husband has to work on Christmas, Whatevergirl.
*Thanks nova. Blockbuster is open on Christmas? :confused: I didn’t know that. I’m surprised that place stays in business…with pay-per-view, etc…and their stupid late fees. :mad: Don’t get me started on BB, nova! 😛

In Florida, I have found most everything is open on Christmas, because it’s a tourist haven…restaurants, grocery stories, etc…all open at some point, on Christmas. Not so much in PA. Like local restaurants are closed, and the main grocery chain would be closed…but I remember Eckerd being open. Florida, nearly everything stays open, so maybe he isn’t that alone. 🤷 He deals with a lot of international callers too, so that could be why they are open, also…(his dept)*
 
Yup…musician.

Mass at 4 at another location, dinner with other working musicians, then to the late night mass, then again one more on Christmas day. (usually have 2 on Christmas).

and yes, this is work.
I am playing and singing for our 10 AM Mass. I like to think that the work is done ahead of time, though, and that this is my return on His gift on His birthday. I also play and sing for a Methodist service Christmas Eve. But, I HAVE to go to Midnight Mass (at 11 PM)!! I’m not playing, though. I get to sing with the rest of the congregation. Good to be on both sides of the organ!!

Have a Blessed Christmas!
 
I am playing and singing for our 10 AM Mass. I like to think that the work is done ahead of time, though, and that this is my return on His gift on His birthday. I also play and sing for a Methodist service Christmas Eve. But, I HAVE to go to Midnight Mass (at 11 PM)!! I’m not playing, though. I get to sing with the rest of the congregation. Good to be on both sides of the organ!!

Have a Blessed Christmas!
Not when you’re leading its not.
 
Siberia! I think that takes the cake. :eek:

When I graduated from college, I went over a year without a job and had to work as a manager at Blockbuster Video. I got stuck working every holiday including Christmas even though I had told my employer in the interview that I was Christian and wouldn’t work on Sundays or Catholic holy days. That promise went down the drain the minute I transferred from the training store to my new store. When I told my new manager about the hiring conditions, she just looked at me and said “So? We’re probably all Christians so you’re working.”:mad:

Please, please don’t support businesses by shopping or renting on Christmas! It ruins people’s holidays. Unfortunately, Americans are really big on watching movies on Christmas day (it’s a good way to escape family or nullify the opportunity to spend time together/ fight about something).

I’m sorry your husband has to work on Christmas, Whatevergirl.
I’m with you!! If I’ve forgotten something for Christmas dinner, we do without. I refuse to run to the store on Christmas! I see it as an opportunity to be creative, and to remember those who do with a lot less than we do!! And, yes, EVERYONE should have the option to spend the day with God and family and friends. If businesses weren’t frequented on Christmas, it wouldn’t financially feasible for them to remain open.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top