Anyone here working ON Christmas day?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
*I agree, agape. I know that the music minister at our parish, has a lot of work to do…she sings, and prepares for masses, but she also deals with various events, planning for them–such as the giving tree, and announcement preparations. She is the only one we have, she plays piano, sings…it seems like a lot, and God bless her and you and others here for your contributions. I play the piano myself, and I always wished I had ‘‘used’’ the talent in my adult years, in the ways you all are. I admire that you didn’t let your talents go to waste, not sure if that is the right way of saying that. lol (that’s how I feel sometimes about piano)

I want those of you who are working on Christmas, to know you’re in our prayers here…may you find joy and peace in celebrating the special day at work, even if just in your thoughts. I pray you find some time too to spend with your families during the season. The good news is…Christmas isn’t just one day for us Catholics! 👍*
 
One year when I was young and single, I think I did five or six services on Christmas Eve and Christmas. I ran from church to church, until I settled at my parish and cantored three in a row. Boy, was that confusing. Usually, it’s easy to remember where you are in the Mass and what to sing next, but when you’re on your third one, you’ve sung everything at least twice, and it all runs together. It’s really awful when the organ introductions to the Sanctus, Memorial acclamation and Amen are all the same!
Totally can relate to that!!! I have mixed my music up in my folder a couple of times thinking it was for one mass at one church and not for the one I was currently in. Fortunately, I keep all of my music with me, so I can quickly switch back and forth. Or what can be confusing is that sometimes the organists or whomever will have their own introductions to certain hymns/mass parts. Of course, you rehearse it with the other musicians beforehand, but sometimes, when you’re up there and looking at the actual music, expecting that to be played and then suddenly hearing something totally different, you’re mind is like, “What?!?” :confused: Then suddenly your left brain kicks in and you’re like, “Oh, yeah! That’s right. Organist was being creative with the introduction.”
 
Totally can relate to that!!! I have mixed my music up in my folder a couple of times thinking it was for one mass at one church and not for the one I was currently in. Fortunately, I keep all of my music with me, so I can quickly switch back and forth. Or what can be confusing is that sometimes the organists or whomever will have their own introductions to certain hymns/mass parts. Of course, you rehearse it with the other musicians beforehand, but sometimes, when you’re up there and looking at the actual music, expecting that to be played and then suddenly hearing something totally different, you’re mind is like, “What?!?” :confused: Then suddenly your left brain kicks in and you’re like, “Oh, yeah! That’s right. Organist was being creative with the introduction.”
As a parishioner observing, I think we sometimes take the music ministers for granted. 😊 My son commented last Sunday saying…maybe we should buy a gift certificate or something for our music minister. :o I thought that was a great idea…We went from a parish last year where everyone would applaud at the end of mass for the music minister. :rolleyes: Truly, that parish went the other way–the mass seemed to be more about him, and his piano talent, than about being a leader in song for the parish. I remember visiting priests to that parish, and the looks on their faces when they would be looking at him playing on and on and on…as if we weren’t at a mass, but rather at a Christian rock concert. God bless him, he is talented, but mass isn’t to revolve around a music minister’s ‘‘performance.’’ That said, coming to the parish we’re at now…the music minister is the opposite. Humble, and she is truly what I consider to be an excellent leader in song for the parish. She ENCOURAGES participation, unlike the prior parish. So, my son commented that it might show her that we appreciate her.

How would you receive something like that, as a musician of the parish? Is that acceptable? We have bought priests little gifts in the past, but never a music minister.*
 
As a parishioner observing, I think we sometimes take the music ministers for granted. 😊
…

How would you receive something like that, as a musician of the parish? Is that acceptable? We have bought priests little gifts in the past, but never a music minister.*
Don’t feel embarrassed or blush at all, Whatevergirl. I do believe most liturgical musicians don’t expect any show of thanks. Most of us are there to add to the liturgy and to do it for God, not for ourselves.

Except from people I’m friendly with at the parishes, my other music colleagues or when I was running the children’s choir (Those kids touch you in so many ways and truly teach you lessons in life by their innocence and love) I’ve never received a gift from a parishioner, although, I’ve always appreciated their verbal gifts of thanks when they’ve approached me after or before mass, albeit I do get embarrassed when that happens. For me, as a shy person, I would feel a little embarrassed to receive a gift, BUT I can tell you that I’d be very touched by the kindness and generosity of someone who took the time to think of me and to give me a little token of thanks. I remember when my little choristers and students would give me gifts, it would actually bring tears to my eyes, which I’d have to hide right away so that they wouldn’t think I was a blubbering idiot. hahaha!

So, although I don’t know your music minister, I think that she would also be very appreciative and touched just based on how you described her. It would give her encouragement that she is doing something right with the music liturgy there. I think it’s so sweet that your son thought of that.

Merry Christmas!!!
 
Sara–thank you! I think we will get her a little something, then. Regarding my son, yeah…I guess I don’t give him enough credit for being observant. 😛
 
DH is working Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day. It has happened before and it will happen again. I try not to get bummed and depressed about it but sometimes it is difficult. We will be able to attend Midnight Mass together and open gifts , though so that is good. Hope he gets some sleep. 😉
 
How would you receive something like that, as a musician of the parish? Is that acceptable? We have bought priests little gifts in the past, but never a music minister.
I will admit that I would be touched. Truly it would be a thoughtful gesture. However, a card is just as thoughtful and cheaper.
 
I’m a manager at a movie theatre, so we’re open on Christmas as well. What makes me mad the most is these people who show up on Christmas day after getting to spend all day with their families. They take a look at me and ask “Why do you look so sad?” Like they don’t realize I have a (big) family.

Worse is the fact that we have gotten those dumb SAW movies to open on Christmas day the past 2 years!!! :eek:

Instead of going to Midnight Mass, I have the lowly duty of watching these pieces of junk.
Some Christmas Eve, eh??
 
I’m a manager at a movie theatre, so we’re open on Christmas as well. What makes me mad the most is these people who show up on Christmas day after getting to spend all day with their families. They take a look at me and ask “Why do you look so sad?” Like they don’t realize I have a (big) family.

Worse is the fact that we have gotten those dumb SAW movies to open on Christmas day the past 2 years!!! :eek:

Instead of going to Midnight Mass, I have the lowly duty of watching these pieces of junk.
Some Christmas Eve, eh??
That is horrible!!! I’m sorry that you have to go through that.
 
I’m a manager at a movie theatre, so we’re open on Christmas as well. What makes me mad the most is these people who show up on Christmas day after getting to spend all day with their families. They take a look at me and ask “Why do you look so sad?” Like they don’t realize I have a (big) family.

Worse is the fact that we have gotten those dumb SAW movies to open on Christmas day the past 2 years!!! :eek:

Instead of going to Midnight Mass, I have the lowly duty of watching these pieces of junk.
Some Christmas Eve, eh??
Aw. 😦 I’m sorry. That is so odd, that movie choice to show! I have seen a few of the SAW’s, and I’m done. The plot was decent at first…but then, it just became nothing but gory scenes after scenes. My prayers with you, to have a peaceful Christmas, despite having to work during the day. So when do you celebrate, then?
 
My husband has occasionally had to work on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day (the newscast must go on!) but they have gotten better about that lately, realizing virtually no one is watching. He has off both days this year, thankfully.

We had always been early-afternoon-Christmas-dinner types, but with younger daughter and SIL in town, we have to share them with his parents. The first time, we deferred to them and scheduled our dinner for early evening, and they assumed it would be that way always, so, rather than stir things up, we’ve stuck with that. I rather like it, as it makes the day more relaxing.

For Thanksgiving, DH had to work, and came home briefly after his early newscast, as usual, for about 30 minutes, so we had everything on the table then.

On Christmas Eve, we go to Mass and then to our favorite Thai restaurant; the owners are Buddhist and don’t celebrate Christmas. Many places are closed here, though a few of the grocery stores are open all day on Christmas; I simply refuse to buy anything on Christmas, and avoid those places as best I can the rest of the year, too.
 
I don’t, but my husband has been on Sable Island since August and won’t be home until the 30th of December - if the weather is good. The North Atlantic in winter can be unpredictable. Or perhaps predictably bad is a better way to put it.

My in-laws and mom and step-dad are having Christmas dinner with us here, and my dad is coming on the 23rd and stying till noonish Christmas day.
 
*I told my husband today about this thread, and what you or your spouses do for a living. He said that he will be thinking of you on Christmas, and asks that you keep him in your prayers, too. *
 
My husband has occasionally had to work on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day (the newscast must go on!) but they have gotten better about that lately, realizing virtually no one is watching. He has off both days this year, thankfully.

We had always been early-afternoon-Christmas-dinner types, but with younger daughter and SIL in town, we have to share them with his parents. The first time, we deferred to them and scheduled our dinner for early evening, and they assumed it would be that way always, so, rather than stir things up, we’ve stuck with that. I rather like it, as it makes the day more relaxing.

For Thanksgiving, DH had to work, and came home briefly after his early newscast, as usual, for about 30 minutes, so we had everything on the table then.

On Christmas Eve, we go to Mass and then to our favorite Thai restaurant; the owners are Buddhist and don’t celebrate Christmas. Many places are closed here, though a few of the grocery stores are open all day on Christmas; I simply refuse to buy anything on Christmas, and avoid those places as best I can the rest of the year, too.
*We too have always liked having dinner like by 3pm on Christmas, I grew up that way also…but think what we’ve decided to do is have our family dinner together on Christmas Eve, and I will make a smaller dinner for the kids and me, saving my hubby a plate for when he gets home. I am feeling better about it. He has Christmas Eve and NY’s Eve off, plus he had Thanksgiving, in the hospitality industry …that isn’t too bad, really to have to be working Christmas. Thanks for your thoughts, dixie. I think it’s neat that you get to watch your husband on tv. 🙂 *
 
:wave:I am! But I’m not sure if it really counts, I don’t start my shift until 11:00 at night. It will be slow and excruciatingly boring. I work in a hospital and I’m considered “essential” personel, so someone’s gotta do it.🤷
 
Aw. 😦 I’m sorry. That is so odd, that movie choice to show! I have seen a few of the SAW’s, and I’m done. The plot was decent at first…but then, it just became nothing but gory scenes after scenes. My prayers with you, to have a peaceful Christmas, despite having to work during the day. So when do you celebrate, then?
Thanks for the prayers. :o I offer the same to you and yours. 🙂

I try getting up as early as possible on Christmas day and spend as much time as I can with my family, until 4pm. Then off to work. It’s funny because my company offers time and half pay on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. I told my GM the other day that I don’t even need the time and half pay. I told him someone else can have it.

Besides, time and a half pay does not make up at all for having to work on Christmas.
 
I’m not working on christmas, but I do have to work the day before and the day after. This kind of stinks for me because the only way I can see my side of the family is christmas eve due to church obligations and how far away they live. So this year I’ll only get an hour or two with them.

I have to keep reminding myself to be thankful for the part time job I have now though, since I was laid off from my other job (even if its just seasonal). It’s been a hard year for my family, and worse for many more.
 
Thanks for the prayers. :o I offer the same to you and yours. 🙂

I try getting up as early as possible on Christmas day and spend as much time as I can with my family, until 4pm. Then off to work. It’s funny because my company offers time and half pay on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. I told my GM the other day that I don’t even need the time and half pay. I told him someone else can have it.

Besides, time and a half pay does not make up at all for having to work on Christmas.
*My husband feels the same way! Gets paid the same as you for holidays. He is a ‘‘computer closer’’ so he has to make sure there are not computer glitches every night before heading home. We are more than grateful for the work, but, it’s still nice to have Christmas with family. But, I’m settling into the idea now, so is he…we are going to have a nice dinner together on Christmas Eve, go to mass that evening. I plan to bake cookies, his favorites that he grew up with, on Christmas day with our daughter. Should be fun!

Have a merry Christmas, and don’t work TOO hard now. lol ;)*
 
I’m not working on christmas, but I do have to work the day before and the day after. This kind of stinks for me because the only way I can see my side of the family is christmas eve due to church obligations and how far away they live. So this year I’ll only get an hour or two with them.

I have to keep reminding myself to be thankful for the part time job I have now though, since I was laid off from my other job (even if its just seasonal). It’s been a hard year for my family, and worse for many more.
Oh that is tough! I will keep you in my prayers. May you have a safe and holy Christmas…be careful in your travels. :hug1:
 
uh yeah, I work for the parish, children and youth are in the procession at all Masses as Mary, Joseph and the usual cast of characters. I have a coordinator for each group but somebody has to open up, make sure costumes are accounted for, supervise kids who are dropped off by parents (go figure). your basic mother hen stuff. also the youth who will lector at 2 Masses. We don’t have a regular janitor so DH and I will probably be the last ones out turning off lights, locking up, sweeping up hay etc.

I will go to Mass on Christmas day so I can actually participate at Mass w/o being “on”, but at another parish where nobody knows me.

The rest of the day I will sleep. Our anniversary is the 26th and we will celebrate by attending a pro-life pre-game event at a sport I hate in a loud uncomfortable arena. but they do have good hot dogs.

our Christmas dinner will be the feast for the needy next Sunday. 500 tickets have been given out, about 700 will show up, over 800 gifts have been donated (we have not counted what came in yesterday, and still expect deliveries from the court house). I don’t do much work for that volunteers donate, cook and serve all the food. I supervise the distribution of gifts which will be a circus, but I have a team of HS students who do the actual work. I also intend to take next Monday off to rest, and my retreat is the following weekend, which I am desparately anticipating.

this is still not as bad as working for USPS, where as a PTFS (sub) I had exactly 8 days off–not holidays, days off-- in 3.5 years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top