A bit slow to get going. You should have used ‘liberal’ in the title!

. I was going to copy my response from the other thread first - but it’s disappeared - so let’s begin again…
Firstly, being open, I’m not yet Catholic (discerning which direction to go in). But in terms of the place of reason and emotion, I don’t think it’s either/ or.
For me the foundation of my faith, and the foundation for my decisions and my stance on issues has to do with my relationship with Jesus. That relationship with Jesus is based on the fact that he existed. But that’s not the end of it. I love Him, therefore my response isn’t just reasonable, it’s also emotional.
In terms of my decision making, then, emotions play a large part, as does reason, as does communal discernment. I am very involved in Ignatian spiritual direction. Ignatius gives the following introduction to discernment:
‘Rules by which to perceive and understand to some extent the various movements produced by the soul: The good that they may be accepted, and the bad that they may be rejected’.
Of course it’s rare to take a stance on a particular only after going through a set of processes - this is faith, not science. But these are the things that would tend to influence me in terms of my theological stance:
Scripture. I read it, I read commentaries from a range of sources, I attempt to read the Greek (stress attempt!).
History and theology. I read writers from a range of backgrounds - I’m in an ecumenical theology book group which has done wonders for broadening my perspective.
Prayer. I tend to sit with issues before God - ask God to speak and to guide me.
Experience. I try to listen to the world, and the people I meet, because I believe Jesus is there speaking. So, for example, my thinking on issues of poverty has been hugely influenced by working with poor people.
Sitting with my relationship with Jesus. I try to spend as much time with Jesus as possible. I try to walk with him through the gospels. I try to learn to see as he saw (what Paul is saying, in Ephesians I think, when he says ‘go on being renewed in the attitude of your mind’). This is the emotional bit, I think. I try my best to look at a situation with Jesus, and try to understand how he would see things now. My relationship, my sense of who he is, and how he acts, and what he cares about is, in the end, probably the most important thing.
Communal Discernment - in two forms. I talk to people with very different views than my own (that’s why I’m here!), and with friends over dinner. And secondly I have an excellent spiritual director who will tell me when I’m away with the fairies or deliberately resisting God. In other words, testing my own decision to see if it’s in keeping with who God is.