Are there any members of the Episcopal Church out there?

• Thread starter Thread starter EOvsRC1054
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could say that more or less about any of the many denominations that have split from the Catholic Church (or that have split from the splitters).

I guess from my perspective when I was a Protestant Christian trying to look for the Church that Christ founded, I ruled out the the Anglican Church early on because its origins were very clear- cut and definitely did not date back to the time of Christ. (Though to be fair and not pick on Anglicanism, I eventually decided that was the case with all protestant sects and thought that the only options that made full sense were the Catholic or the Orthodox Church.)

Very good observations.

For many years I balked at Catholic claims about Papal Infallibility. Then one day my agnostic father pointed out that whereas the Pope only claims to be able to say what Truth is, the Anglicans make a much larger claim: to have the power to alter Truth itself!

What a pity you cannot stand the Book of Common Prayer. Although the doctrinal statements such as the Thirty Nine Articles are unacceptable, the actual liturgy is mostly a very beautiful translation of the Catholic Sarum Rite.

They use the Book of Common Prayer, which I cannot stand.
As @Maximian said, that’s a shame. The liturgy is beautiful. The Ordinariates use an adapted version of the Book of Common Prayer. A lot of the Ordinariate liturgy (like the BCP’s astoundingly beautiful funeral liturgy) is basically word-for-word from the BCP (think of those beautiful words '“earth to earth ashes to ashes, dust to dust, and in sure and certain hope of the resurrection unto eternal life through Our Lord Jesus Christ”).

Last edited:
Since we are approaching the subject of reformation, here is one lutheran’s humorous take on the subject. Henry enters at about 2:07

I love Lutheran Satire. We used to watch that all the time back in Lutheran School. I would say this episode is by far my favorite.

I am a Continuing Anglican which is a jurisdiction of the Church of England.
Forgive me if I have completely misunderstood, but surely continuing Anglicanism is specifically not “a jurisdiction of the Church of England”. The Church of England is part of the Anglican Communion. Continuing Anglicanism refers to organizations within the Anglican tradition that have broken away from the Anglican Communion and are no longer in communion with the Church of England and its leader, the archbishop of Canterbury. Indeed, I do not think that continuing Anglicans want to be regarded as being part of the Church of England, which they would consider has fallen into error.

As others have said, the Book of Common Prayer is one of the most important works of literature in the English language. Likewise the Coverdale psalter, which is part of the Prayer Book.

Last edited:
one lutheran’s humorous
Haha thank you SO much. It’s hilarious but also very accurate and perceptive, especially if you watch right through to the end of the credits.

Im surprised he’s still a Lutheran though. I’d expect him to be SSPX by now…

He is very perceptive and funny. There is a great one he did on electing the pope.

Pardon the intrusion by a friendly RC.

I was surprised to learn of local Episcopal congregations that advertise services that are “Anglo Catholic” with apparently very traditional worship…yet are also extremely liberal in the social/moral causes they support.

Within Catholicism it’s rare to find a parish, or even individuals, who are “Traditional” in worship, either TLM or conservative Ordinary Form, combined with liberal, very non Tradition social/moral views.

Last edited:
I was an Episcopalian for 7 years before becoming Catholic. I really liked the parish I attended. Great people, dedicated. My diocese split from TEC and went with ACNA prior to my leaving. With TEC you get openly homosexual bishops who celebrate homosexuality. ACNA doesn’t allow homosexual bishops but not sure about female clergy.

Yes. There is a correlation, within the Episcopal Church ( or was, anyway), between the Anglo-Catholicity of some parishes and the degree to which they were socially progressive and forward looking. So to speak.

Of course, one must be cautious about making generalizations about any Anglicans.

Last edited:
It is an open question, in the ACNA, and a potentially divisive point. Two schools of thought: one following ++ Duncan, allows for female ordination. The other, following +Iker, does not, though, there is support for the idea of a non-ordained diaconate analog on that side. AFAIK (I don’t follow the ACNA on a daily basis), the subject has been put on hold until a consensus is worked out.

As we know, Anglicans are a motley crew. Even among the most generally conservative of them.

Last edited:
I was surprised to learn of local Episcopal congregations that advertise services that are “Anglo Catholic” with apparently very traditional worship…yet are also extremely liberal in the social/moral causes they support.
It depends what you mean by “extremely” liberal, of course, but there is the movement within the Anglican Communion called Affirming Catholicism, of which ++Rowan Williams is a distinguished advocate, which is a socially liberal strand of anglo-catholicism.

As @GKMotley said, generalisations can be difficult. But I do find that your observation is the norm in most Anglican provinces in western countries. Anglo-Catholic liturgical traditionalism usually accompanies socially, politically and theologically liberal views.

That hasn’t always been the case. The genesis of the Oxford movement (the progenitor of modern day Anglo-Catholicism) in the early 19th century was, essentially, a very conservative revival. The first sermon marking the movement was titled ‘National Apostasy’!

John Keble.

In the Anglican Continuum, OTOH, one might have to look very hard to find a liberal/progressive parish, of any theological flavor.

Probably wouldn’t find one, either (going out on a limb, here).

Last edited:
That hasn’t always been the case. The genesis of the Oxford movement (the progenitor of modern day Anglo-Catholicism) in the early 19th century was, essentially, a very conservative revival.
I’m way out of my depth here, but wasn’t Cardinal Manning, who was from the Oxford Movement background, somewhat liberal in his social views and public activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back