Are there any members of the Episcopal Church out there?

• Thread starter Thread starter EOvsRC1054
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much more specific do you want me to be than naming the country, city, church, priest and churchmanship as I have already done?

As for “very conservative “ the anglican communion has women priests, divorced and remarried priests and openly gay bishops.

Anglicans come in all sorts of sub-groups. Naming your priest is unnecessary.

My own Anglican Catholic Church had male priests only and no openly gay clergy. It was staunchly pro-life and quite conservative.

Again, the distinction between the Communion and the Continuum.

Again, Anglicans are a motley crew.

It’s irrelevant. Once one part accepts an untruth, the whole is tainted.

Probably because, at least in my experience, a fair number of ex-Catholics who reject Catholic social teaching among other issues, but value the Catholic liturgy, end up in the Episcopal Church. I know my confirmation/reception class at my church was comprised of roughly 50% ex-Catholics, myself included.

Oh, I’m not claiming that it’s the One True Church. (The continuum contains multiple Anglican churches, for starters). I just wanted to disabuse any notion that all Anglicans are somehow liberal perverts. If it’s any reassurance, I take a class at the local Episcopal Church. Not all of them are liberal, all of them are kind people, and I’m confident that none of them are perverts. 🙃

Indeed. Multiple Anglican Churches, in the sense of autocephalous, independent entities. True of both the Communion and the Continuum, in that regard.

Ah yeah, I have no qualms against conservative, liturgical and english-speaking ones. In fact, I wouldn’t mind going to a church like that. Just that, it’s pretty difficult to find these days…

Last edited:
As an Episcopalian I appreciate that sentiment. Ton of ultra liberal members of my parish, pretty sure most if not all of them are not perverts either.

There’s an unhealthy amount vitriol towards Episcopalians in this thread. Please be assured that it is not representative of Catholics as a whole.

I have been Episcopalian for two years. I was Southern Baptist for 24 years, it’s a long story why I left, however let’s just say I was basically made feel unwelcome due to being single. From the first time I attended the Episcopal church I felt loved and welcome. I wish I had joined the Episcopal church years ago.

I am a Methodist, and my understanding is that Methodism came from Anglicanism/Episcopalianism.

Can someone who understands both explain what the major differences are? For example, my congregation is a rather conservative traditional one, with a pro-life stance and pro traditional marriage. We recite the Our Father and Apostles Creed weekly and have weekly communion, Bible studies, and are active in serving the community through different outreaches that feed and help house the poor, along with a ministry to help abused women.

As @GKMotley often says, Methodists are a motley bunch, but I was just curious what a conservative Methodist might have in common with Episcopalian/Anglicanism and what separates us in terms of practice and beliefs.

Thanks, take care, and God bless.

Last edited:
I am a Methodist, and my understanding is that Methodism came from Anglicanism/Episcopalianism.

Can someone who understands both explain what the major differences are?
Methodism began as an attempt to revive or renew the Church of England in the 18th century. Its founders were John Wesley, his brother Charles Wesley, and their friend George Whitefield. All three were Anglican clergymen, but they were evangelicals. By that I mean they were influenced by Pietist, Puritan and even some Catholic spirituality (Wesley read Thomas a Kempis’ The Imitation of Christ) that emphasized an experiential piety or “heart religion.” All three eventually had a conversion experience or what they would have termed the “new birth.”

Methodism is sort of a stripped down version of Anglicanism. Differences would include the Wesleyan emphasis on holiness. John Wesley taught something called Christian perfection, which is an experience or state of perfect Christian love (not sinless perfection). This is also known as “entire sanctification”. While I’m sure Anglicans teach about holiness as well, I don’t think there is anything in their theology comparable to Wesley’s teaching on Christian perfection.

Another difference is the nature of the ministry. While Anglicans retained the traditional three-fold ministry and (in their eyes) apostolic succession, the Methodist ministry doesn’t really have claim to that history. While the United Methodists have bishops, these don’t have historic succession. In England, the Methodist Church never had bishops to begin with. Wesley’s view was that as a presbyter he could ordain as well as a bishop, and he did ordain the first American Methodist elders. He also appointed 2 Anglican priests as “superintendents” of the American Methodist church. As soon as the “superintendents” got to America, they got the Methodist conference (the governing body) to rename them bishops.

I’m not sure about the differences between the liturgies.

Last edited:
I haven’t been around Methodists enough to make a comment on the liturgies, beyond that I have seen, on the few occasions I’ve been in a Methodist service, some of the bones of Anglican liturgy. And in older Methodist hymnals, a selection of the Articles, recognizably.

Motley, no doubt. But the genes still are visible, in places.

Last edited:
I agree with this observation. Growing up a “broad church” Episcopalian in the 90sit was pretty easy to see the liberal Catholics coming over. More than a few conservatives back in the day thought you lot were ruining the church. It’s a democratic church essentially and all the incoming rejectors Of Catholic Social Teaching had a strong influence on our little parishes

While the United Methodists have bishops, these don’t have historic succession. In England, the Methodist Church never had bishops to begin with
I should perhaps add to this that the Church of England and the Methodist Church of Great Britain are in serious discussions about achieving unity. The Methodists have agreed to accept bishops into their polity (bishops in what Anglicans believe would be apostolic succession) and for future Methodist ministers to be episcopally ordained.

The utterly predictable area of difficulty is (as it was during the last, abortive, attempt to reunite the two Churches) how existing Methodist ministers, who have of course not been ordained by bishops, could exercise their ministry in the Anglican part of the proposed reunited Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back