Are There Errors in the Bible?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jason_Gastrich
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason,

Is this a new person of God? Is it Gnosticism? Is it the Holy Spirit?

Wisdom 7:7 “7 Therefore I prayed, and prudence was given me; I pleaded and the spirit of Wisdom came to me."

A prisoner of Christ

Proverb 18:17 “The man who pleads his case first seems to be in the right; then his opponent comes and puts him to the test.”

Jason Gastrich:
Hi Malachi4U,

I think it would be best if you and I put some distance between ourselves. Please don’t respond to my messages or expect any responses from me. By the way you are talking to me, any conversation we have will be an argument and that’s not what I want.

I apologize if I have offended you in any way. That was not my intent. I’m surprised that you have not heard of question bombing, though.

I hope you take this letter in the spirit in which it was intended. We have gotten off on the wrong foot and for the purposes of this thread, I will not be reading or responding to any more of your messages. Feel free to contact me via email if you wish.

As for everyone else, I’d be happy to read any alleged Bible errors that you may find. I’ll answer them and if I don’t know the answer, then I’ll do some research and post what I find.

May God richly bless you all.

Sincerely,

Jason Gastrich
Gods peace be with you Theophilus,

Jason,

Thank you for your polite repley, it proves what I said and that you truly are a very good man.

I am sorry if my questions were too difficult for you or not what you actually meant when you put us to a challenge in your first message. I know you run your own site and as such are used to complete control.

Where would our Christian belief be today if every time Jesus was put to the test He turned His back and stopped spreading Gods Word? Where would we be if the first Catholics stopped preaching to those who asked tough questions in the first 400 years before we had a Bible? I like your ‘opinions’ and they are entertaining if nothing else. I am even investigating some of what you say.

I still want to know how Judas could hang himself and fall a couple of feet and have his entrails fall out as you siad in one reply. I have seen many people in the Hospital where I worked and many accidents in both the military and civilian world. I cannot see how a man hangs himself and falls even 30 or 40 feet and has his insides pour out as you describe?:hmmm: Judas could only have fallen a couple of feet at most.

Anyway, I guess I will have to put my trust in a 2,000 year old Church established by Christ to guide me in Scripture and not you:clapping: . We will both survive.

I hope you reconsider answering the thougher questions I have sent.:whistle:

As a Christian I will always be here if you need help or would like to re-establish comunications with me. Christ loves all His children.

I look foward to your future posts.:bounce:

I would like to refer to our Lords prayer in its 'entirety’ with emphasis added mine:

Mt 6:9-15 (NAB) "9 “This is how you are to pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread; 12 and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; 13 and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one.”

“14 If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”

A prisoner of Christ

Forgive me for posting a few questions from the Old Testament before I got you message. This will be my last post on your web site though I will check in once in a while to see if you can find it in your heart to forgive me as I have forgiven you (though you never really did anything in need of forgiveness). I shall pray for you and hope you continue with an open mind on your journey.:bowdown:

A priest friend of mine offered me some additional evidence for Jesus having celebrated the Essene calculation of the Passover. The key clue is that the disciples were told to find a man carrying a water jug. Apparently carrying water was a woman’s job at that time, and so the only way a man would be carrying the water jug is if he were an Essene monk. Thus, the disciples followed him to the Essene house, and celebrated the Essene calculation of the Passover, which could have occured a day prior to the other sect that year. Anyway, that rectifies it for me.

Jason Gastrich:
Hi,

Thanks for your post.

In Mark 6:5, he states that Jesus couldn’t do mighty works because of their unbelief. This doesn’t mean that God’s power is limited. Faith activates God’s power.
So God cannot do something where there is no faith in him? Doesn’t sound all powerful to me.

40.png
kman025:
A priest friend of mine offered me some additional evidence for Jesus having celebrated the Essene calculation of the Passover. The key clue is that the disciples were told to find a man carrying a water jug. Apparently carrying water was a woman’s job at that time, and so the only way a man would be carrying the water jug is if he were an Essene monk. Thus, the disciples followed him to the Essene house, and celebrated the Essene calculation of the Passover, which could have occured a day prior to the other sect that year. Anyway, that rectifies it for me.
Wow, that’s interesting insight! Thanks for the post.

Sincerely,
Jason

Originally Posted by Jason Gastrich
*Hi,
Thanks for your post.
In Mark 6:5, he states that Jesus couldn’t do mighty works because of their unbelief. This doesn’t mean that God’s power is limited. Faith activates God’s power.*
40.png
Monarchy:
So God cannot do something where there is no faith in him? Doesn’t sound all powerful to me.
Please don’t misquote me. Did you read my entire post? I can see how you can confuse this passage of scripture by the way you’ve confused my post. I was quite clear, too.

Please reread it. “I can’t eat another hamburger.”

Sincerely,
Jason

P.S. By the way . . . we aren’t interested in how things sound. We are interested in the truth. Investigate the scriptures and find it. We aren’t whales. smile

Despite of what Ezekiel says (ch. 26-29), Tyre was not destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. It survived the siege, in fact it still exists today. Looks like a plain error to me.

40.png
AnAtheist:
Despite of what Ezekiel says (ch. 26-29), Tyre was not destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. It survived the siege, in fact it still exists today. Looks like a plain error to me.
Chicago was destroyed by fire
Rome burned
Johnstown was destroyed by flood
The Romans destroyed Jerusalem
Rome was sacked

All these towns exist.

The language we use is frequently looser than your statement allows. The ways in which language is used allow for Tyre to be destroyed and to be in existence today. Do you have evidence that Tyre survived the seige unscathed?..by that I assume you mean Nebuchadnezzar and his army never set foot in Tyre.

I can hear the king of Tyre: “Come back here you coward! Its only a flesh wound!”

Its existence today is no proof. Many cities have been destroyed and rebuilt many many times.

40.png
AnAtheist:
Hi and thanks for your post.

The first part of this prophecy was fulfilled by Alexander and his army in 332 B.C. They demolished the city and s****ed the debris to the rock surface and threw it in the sea. However, in 1291 A.D., Tyre was completely destroyed by the Mamluks and that city was never rebuilt by the people that lived in it.

These verses in Ezekiel never give a timetable for the destruction of Tyre. The scriptures never indicate that Nebuchadnezzar would fulfill this prophecy.

God bless,
Jason

40.png
quasimodo:
I can hear the king of Tyre: “Come back here you coward! Its only a flesh wound!”
:D:bowdown2:
40.png
quasimodo:
Its existence today is no proof. Many cities have been destroyed and rebuilt many many times.
Granted, but Ezekiel says, it will NEVER be rebuild.

Jason Gastrich:
…] Tyre was completely destroyed by the Mamluks and that city was never rebuilt by the people that lived in it.
Ezekiel 26:14 says, it shall never be rebuilt - period, and not the people who live in it at the time of its destruction will not rebuid it. Or it is rebuild several times and then never rebuilt. :confused:
Jason Gastrich:
…] The scriptures never indicate that Nebuchadnezzar would fulfill this prophecy.
Not even by context? 26:7 - 11 addresses Nebuchadnezzar personally, 12 switches to plural again (at least in my translation), 13 is somewhat neutral, 14 well see above

[/quote]

If we are to take this into a context where it means the city will never be rebuilt again, then this is a prophecy that will be fulfilled in the future.

When I discuss alleged biblical errors, I affirm that the Bible is 100% accurate in every verifiable way. If we can’t verify certain claims, then we can’t verify them. However, every claim that can be verified is true. A future, prophetic claim would obviously be something that we couldn’t verify, yet. It surely wouldn’t be an error, though.

Sincerely,
Jason

40.png
AnAtheist:
Ezekiel 26:14 says, it shall never be rebuilt - period, and not the people who live in it at the time of its destruction will not rebuid it. Or it is rebuild several times and then never rebuilt. :confused:
Do you have any specific hermeneutical devices that would reveal to you that these words from Ezekiel weren’t simply directed to the people at Tyre? You are saying that they should apply to future generations and not just to the people at Tyre. Perhaps you should tell us why.

If these verses are directed at future generations, then you have to extend the prophecy to future generations as well. Tyre will be destroyed in the future and then it will not be rebuilt.
Not even by context? 26:7 - 11 addresses Nebuchadnezzar personally, 12 switches to plural again (at least in my translation), 13 is somewhat neutral, 14 well see above
Try reading Daniel 9. There is a prophecy in that chapter that covers numerous details over the course of hundreds and hundreds of years. Just because we see a name mentioned, it doesn’t mean that the entire chapter refers to that person; in this case, it doesn’t mean that the prophecy fulfillment has to be completed by Nebuchadnezzar.

Sincerely,
Jason

[/quote]

Tyre was on an island and I think the other Tyre you are talking about in southern Lebanon is not. The island survived the year siege 13 by olde Nebby but its associated commuity on the mainland likely did not. Tyre (island) was more or less destroyed in by Alexander the Great. While other communities arose (e.g. Roman, Byzantine, Moslem ) that were and are called “Tyre” (based on the name of the island), that particular Tyre never recovered. So, while I see your point, I think you read the text in a literalist fashion.

Nope! But I have found a few typos in my N.A.B.! :rolleyes:

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

40.png
Thomas2:
Nope! But I have found a few typos in my N.A.B.! :rolleyes:

Peace and all good,

Thomas2
Haha. Typos? Like what? Let’s hope they spelled JESUS correctly.

JG

As to the point made about the apparent contrary interpretations of Jesus being the first to “rise form the dead” and the raising of Lazarus and others back to life from death, I’d say that Jesus’ Ressurection was a singular and unique experience whereas the restoration to life of Lazarus was in effect, just a restoration to an earthly life; he still needed to die again and be judged and brought to Heaven. When Lazarus succumbed to whatever illness took him, there was no Resurrection from the dead as we know it to be although there certainly was “life after death.” Wherever Lazarus spent the “time” from his demise to the point in time that Jesus brought him forth from his earthly tomb to the amazement of all those who witnessed this miracle is a mystery and not really pertinant to this answer. What I’d like to say to the point of the seeming contrary verses is simply the two aren’t exactly the same thing. Jesus truly is the first because although He was here in an earthly life, He was in actuality returning to where He was before, i.e. with the Father and the Holy Spirit in Heaven. His death was a “real” death in the earthly sense but His Ressurection wasn’t the same type of restoration of life as was Lazarus’ or the child raised by Elijah. Those restored to an earthly life still had another death ahead fo them, the one that would determine their enternal destiny. Jesus “began” His life still and always “connected” to that Eternal life. This is Trinitarian in perspective and hard for me to explain well. Like I said, I’m no expert so bare with me. The contradiction lies in our understanding and not with the Scriptures. But hey, Jesus is a sign of contradiction, so its kinda neat to see this isn’t it? 😉

Peace and all good,

Thomas2

Jason Gastrich:
Do you have any specific hermeneutical devices that would reveal to you that these words from Ezekiel weren’t simply directed to the people at Tyre? You are saying that they should apply to future generations and not just to the people at Tyre. Perhaps you should tell us why.
Well no, I have no insights whatsoever of what is NOT written there. I merely read what is actually written and judge from that.

Your answer is of course valid. You can do that with any vague prohecy, introducing new assumptions to have it fulfilled or expect it to be yet fulfilled.

Quick recall: Moses goes up the mountain and recieves the 10 commandments (listed in Exo 20:3-17, repeated in Deu 5:7-21 with some insignificant variations), comes down, sees the Israelites worshipping an idol, and breaks the stones with the commandments on it. Therefore he has to go up the mountain again to receive the same words again (Exo 34:1). But lo!, now he gets a different set of 10 commandments (Exo 34:14-26), btw the only place in the bible where the 10 cmd. are actually called 10 cmds (Exo 34:28).

D’uh?

Originally Posted by Jason Gastrich
40.png
AnAtheist:
Well no, I have no insights whatsoever of what is NOT written there. I merely read what is actually written and judge from that.
You must have misunderstood the question. I’ve developed a web page on hermeneutics because I wanted to articulate the exegetical principles that I use to understand the scriptures. Here are mine: jcsm.org/Education/hermeneutics.htm. I was simply asking you for yours.
Your answer is of course valid. You can do that with any vague prohecy, introducing new assumptions to have it fulfilled or expect it to be yet fulfilled.
For someone who has not even articulated their hermeneutical devices, it’s awfully silly to call my exegesis “introducing new assumptions.”

God bless,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back