Are these people "robots"?

• Thread starter Thread starter ateista
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. So why did God not create only people with a healthy aversion to evil acts? There would be no need to prohibit evil deeds, nor would there be a need to make evil acts physically impossible and the world would be a much better place. I, for one, would not miss the murders, rapes, genocides and other atrocities.

I certainly don’t know if God interferes or not… but looking at the world, he does not interfere frequently.
He did create people with a healthy aversion to evil - Adam and Eve. But free will demands that the lover can be rejected by the one who is loved. Without the capability of saying “no” to God, there is no such thing as free will. Any other definition is inadequate.

I suggested that God could make everyone just like those people who see the temptations and freely avoid them. Admittedly, the world would be less “colorful” if only decent, loving, caring people would exist, but I sure would not miss the scoundrels, cheaters, robbers, liars, murderers, rapists, (also lawyers and politicians ;)) etc… Would you?
Who on earth “freely” avoids temptation? We’re all capable of the worst sins. What differs one from the next is not some pre-determined immorality but the free choice to consent or not to consent to temptation when it comes knocking.

Stop blaming God for man’s desire to self-destruct. It reeks of Cain’s pathetic excuse: “Am I my brother’s keeper?”

The Lord cannot lie, as light cannot cause darkness.

Evil is the absence of good, and whereas we have God to sustain US, even when we sin against Him; since He is goodness itself, He cannot be absent of Himself 👍
You said the same thing with different words. God has no free will and cannot act against his nature - hence a robot. 🙂

Love for God is not commanded as a matter of force. It is demanded as a matter of justice. The wise man recognizes that without God, he is nothing. The just man responds to this by loving Him through Whom everything is given.

– Mark L. Chance.
According to the original poster along these lines “not loving God is immoral or a sin” and God commanded us to avoid sin. Maybe you could argue with her?

You know, if you had said that God is just a robot, I would have agreed with you. According to believers God is unable to to lie, to commit evil, or anything that goes against his nature. Now, that is an excellent description of a robot…
A robot has no concept of self. God is entirely Himself. He is His own subsistence. Whereas man cannot know all there is to know about himself, God knows Himself entirely, and thus acts without deliberation, without regret, without hesitancy. He is totally free, whereas the robot is totally enslaved to his programmer. A robot can certainly go against its own nature because it is corruptible. Ever see a computer go against its own nature and fail to compute? I have.

You said the same thing with different words. God has no free will and cannot act against his nature - hence a robot. 🙂
No-one can act against their nature, since nature is a term used to reflect existence 👍.

To describe God as having a ‘nature’ however, is to limit your understanding of God to being a sentient being floating in the sky.

He is not, which is why free will is non-applicable. His existence is not like ours, namely; restrained by time, and with imperfect knowledge and understanding of the world.

Wanting or not wanting to commit evil is not something God can control in us.
Do you underestimate God? I can speak for myself: I try to avoid even small evils when I can. This is the result of my upbringing. I was taught certain ways by my parents and that teaching became the basis of my personality. I could go against it, but I don’t want to. If human parents can do it, surely God can do it, too.
…but it is not something that comes with a click of the fingers, since free will necessitates choice.
The choice is there, the inclination is absent. Sounds like a great solution to me.

He did create people with a healthy aversion to evil - Adam and Eve. But free will demands that the lover can be rejected by the one who is loved. Without the capability of saying “no” to God, there is no such thing as free will. Any other definition is inadequate.
That is your definition only. As long as there are at least two options and there is no coercion - we have freedom to choose. Whether they are significant or not is irrelevant.

That is your definition only. As long as there are at least two options and there is no coercion - we have freedom to choose. Whether they are significant or not is irrelevant.
There are two choices across all spectrum - truth and untruth. Truth is that which conforms to God. Untruth is that which turns away from God. Adam and Eve had the choice of listening to the serpent or ignoring it – BEFORE they were coerced. By listening to the serpent, they already exercised an uncoerced choice of turning away from God, and no one has the power to coerce unless the recipient gives it to him. God did not introduce the coercion nor compel them to listen to the serpent. As beings made in His image, they had to have a sense of self, and so a sense of “other”. Therefore, the first choice faced was “God” or “me”. In turning toward the serpent - merely to listen to him - Adam and Eve chose “me” over “God”, which quickly deteriorated to “Satan” over “God”.

There are two choices across all spectrum - truth and untruth.
This is too simplistic. The world is not black and white, it is loaded with shades of grey. There are many more choices than God and not-God. I understand that for you it is the most important choice, but that does not make all the other choices “disappear”, they are simply not as relevant - in your eyes.

This is too simplistic. The world is not black and white, it is loaded with shades of grey. There are many more choices than God and not-God. I understand that for you it is the most important choice, but that does not make all the other choices “disappear”, they are simply not as relevant - in your eyes.
God is perfectly simple. There are no choices in this world that don’t comprise either turning toward or turning away from God.

Perhaps the problem is that you don’t recognize that He is omniscient and therefore think He is not relevant to every single part of your existence. “My eyes” are not what is relevant. In total blindness, God can grant me sight. If I choose to ignore his presence, I remain blind. If you believe the world is loaded with shades of grey, it’s because you see neither black nor white. Since the Truth is absolute, and God is Truth, God is therefore “black and white”, i.e. immutable, constant, of single purpose and clarity. Our challenge is to overcome sin and be of single purpose for God in the decisions we make.

In another thread the problem of “free will” came up - yet again. When I suggested that a loving God should interfere (not necesserily explictly) in certain sitiuations, it was asserted that interference would remove our “free will” and would turn us into “robots”.

Of course that is cock-and-bull arguement. If a human sees an attempted rape and interferes; that is praised as a proper and moral action. Sure he “interferes” with the desire of the rapist to carry out his act, but that is a very small price to pay - especially as the victim is concerned. So to allow unbridled “free will” is a bad policy. Why should the “free will” of the rapist be allowed and the desire of the victim not to be raped - be neglected?
So when God knows a rape is going to happen…what should He do?

So when God knows a rape is going to happen…what should He do?
In my opinion? Smite the would-be-rapist… that would teach them a lesson 🙂
After all didn’t he smite Onan for spilling his seed on the ground. Is not rape worse than that? (Well, not according to the Bible, where it is said that the rapist should be “punished” by marrying his victim… how “nice” for rapist…???)

What is your opinion?

God has no free will?

This is what Catholics believe:
Thus it is that the infinitely perfect God, although supremely free, because of the supremacy of His intellect and of His essential goodness, nevertheless cannot choose evil; neither can the angels and saints, who enjoy the beatific vision. St. Augustine and others urged most admirably against the Pelagians that, if the possibility of deflection from good belonged to the essence or perfection of liberty, then God, Jesus Christ, and the angels and saints, who have not this power, would have no liberty at all, or would have less liberty than man has in his state of pilgrimage and imperfection. This subject is often discussed by the Angelic Doctor in his demonstration that the possibility of sinning is not freedom, but slavery…

God has no free will?
Let’s not go into side discussions.

Could you please answer my original question? Would those people who use either reason or instinct to always make a moral decision be considered robots? I reiterate, they are aware of the immoral choices, they are not forced to make a moral choice, they contemplate the immoral choices and freely decide against them.

Having only such individuals does not violate the “demand” that people ought to be free to love or not love God. If they all happen to choose to love God, it is what God (allegedly) wants.

Why didn’t God create such a world?

Let’s not go into side discussions.

Could you please answer my original question? Would those people who use either reason or instinct to always make a moral decision be considered robots? I reiterate, they are aware of the immoral choices, they are not forced to make a moral choice, they contemplate the immoral choices and freely decide against them.
Assuming that the immoral choice was truely availble to them, they are not robots.
Having only such individuals does not violate the “demand” that people ought to be free to love or not love God. If they all happen to choose to love God, it is what God (allegedly) wants. Why didn’t God create such a world?
He did. Each of us is capable if we freely and completely submit our will to his we will always choose the moral choice. Problem being that most of us want do it “our way”.

Assuming that the immoral choice was truely availble to them, they are not robots.
Agreed.
He did. Each of us is capable if we freely and completely submit our will to his we will always choose the moral choice.
No, he did not. The ability is one thing; the desire is quite another. By the way, there are some intrinsically “evil” people (sociopaths) who only want to do harm to others. (They may even be physically ill, having some brain damage - though that is not really known).
Problem being that most of us want do it “our way”.
And that is the lack of desire that I am speaking of. To instill desire is not force or coercion.

Agreed.

No, he did not. The ability is one thing; the desire is quite another. By the way, there are some intrinsically “evil” people (sociopaths) who only want to do harm to others. (They may even be physically ill, having some brain damage - though that is not really known).

And that is the lack of desire that I am speaking of. To instill desire is not force or coercion.
Actually, in this case I believe that ability and desire are very similar. I believe a rational person who is not impaired chooses immoral choices because they seem to satisfy their desire for good. What happens is their desire is distorted. Like if some pleasure is good, more is better. See what I mean?

Actually, in this case I believe that ability and desire are very similar.
Nor sure what you mean. I may desire to be able to float like a magic carpet, but have no ability to carry it out.
I believe a rational person who is not impaired chooses immoral choices because they seem to satisfy their desire for good.
That is quite possible. But in these cases one may rely on “instinct” and if a correct “instinct” is installed, the choice will be the correct one.

However all this is a side conversation. God could have created all people with the proper attitude and sufficient knowledge to be able able and desire to make the correct choices, and then free will would not impaired. Why did he not do so? That **is the question that no one seems to want to answer. **There are all sorts of sidetrack issues brought up. No direct addressing of the central problem.

40.png
ateista:
However all this is a side conversation. God could have created all people with the proper attitude and sufficient knowledge to be able able and desire to make the correct choices, and then free will would not impaired. Why did he not do so?
Read Genesis. He did. Don’t forget that in Hebrew, “Adam” is both a proper name and a word for “mankind.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back