Are these people "robots"?

• Thread starter Thread starter ateista
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor sure what you mean. I may desire to be able to float like a magic carpet, but have no ability to carry it out.

That is quite possible. But in these cases one may rely on “instinct” and if a correct “instinct” is installed, the choice will be the correct one.

However all this is a side conversation. God could have created all people with the proper attitude and sufficient knowledge to be able able and desire to make the correct choices, and then free will would not impaired. Why did he not do so? That **is the question that no one seems to want to answer. **There are all sorts of sidetrack issues brought up. No direct addressing of the central problem.
This question I believe is equivalent to “why is there evil?” This is a mystery, as yet unsolved. A partial explanation is that one of the purposes of our creation, our existence, is that God wishes us to experience the fullness of Love, the way He Loves. Without the ability to not choose it would deny us this experience. Why? Because Love is not complete and like God’s unless it is freely given.

This question I believe is equivalent to “why is there evil?” This is a mystery, as yet unsolved.
At last an honest answer. Thank you. I contend that there is no way to reconcile the existence of evil with a loving God. Rabbi Kuschner in his book (“When bad things happen to good people”) gave the best possible explanation.
A partial explanation is that one of the purposes of our creation, our existence, is that God wishes us to experience the fullness of Love, the way He Loves. Without the ability to not choose it would deny us this experience. Why? Because Love is not complete and like God’s unless it is freely given.
Sorry, I do not understand. If God’s love is compatible with all the evils he allows, it is not much a love - as I understand this word.

At last an honest answer. Thank you.
Why do you term opinions you disagree with as “dishonest”?
Sorry, I do not understand. If God’s love is compatible with all the evils he allows, it is not much a love - as I understand this word.
Then you misunderstand the word. If you loved someone deeply, but they decided that they did not want to be with you, you would have to let them go if you really loved them, even if you really didn’t want to. That’s where pain comes in. I really don’t see why it’s such a difficult argument to understand.

Why do you term opinions you disagree with as “dishonest”?
I don’t think I ever did. Not because I disagree with an opinion, anyhow.
Then you misunderstand the word. If you loved someone deeply, but they decided that they did not want to be with you, you would have to let them go if you really loved them, even if you really didn’t want to. That’s where pain comes in. I really don’t see why it’s such a difficult argument to understand.
Oh I understand that. Indeed I would let that person go, and that would be it.

What I would not do, is create a place of everlasting torture and throw them into that place. No one wants to be tortured (especially not forever!).

As a bare minimum I would give them options after showing them the consequence of their action. Give them a guided tour of hell and heaven, and give them three choices:
  1. repent and come to heaven,
  2. willingly and knowingly choose hell,
  3. opt for nonexistence.
Moreover, I would give them the option to change their mind anytime.

That is how I understand love.

Love is not giving deadlines. Love is not giving ultimatums. Love is not everlasting torture. Love is not allowing rapes. Love is not allowing genocides. Love is not withholding rains and causing famine. Love is not respecting the free will of murderers and disregarding the passionate pleas of the victims.

If all that is compatible with love - who needs hate?

At last an honest answer. Thank you. I contend that there is no way to reconcile the existence of evil with a loving God. Rabbi Kuschner in his book (“When bad things happen to good people”) gave the best possible explanation.

I believe that part of the problem is that it appears that you have assumed that evil is an entity, in and of itself. Our Catholic understanding is that it is a privation, the absense of the good. It doesn’t “exist” in this context. When one doesn’t choose “good”, this is defined as “evil”. “Evil” is not a separate thing.

As a bare minimum I would give them options after showing them the consequence of their action. Give them a guided tour of hell and heaven, and give them three choices:
  3. opt for nonexistence.
God does give us choices and lets us know what they are. He fully describes the outcome of each choice and it is entirely up to us to choose. Like any good parent, he informs his children but doesn’t make every decision for them for their entire lives. A good parent will allow their children to make mistakes, so that they can learn from them. And just like there are children who turn their backs to their parents and rebel from their teaching, so it is with God’s children. We know the consequences and we make the choice.

I believe that part of the problem is that it appears that you have assumed that evil is an entity, in and of itself.
No, I do not believe that evil is an ontlogically existing object. My definition of “evil” is intentionally causing harm for its own sake.
Our Catholic understanding is that it is a privation, the absense of the good. It doesn’t “exist” in this context. When one doesn’t choose “good”, this is defined as “evil”. “Evil” is not a separate thing.
Inbetween benevolent and evil there is a continuous realm of behaviors. The world is not black and white, there is an infinity of grey areas.

God does give us choices and lets us know what they are. He fully describes the outcome of each choice and it is entirely up to us to choose.
Not to me, he did not. The only “source” is the testimonial of unreliable, fallible humans - and that simply will not do.
Like any good parent, he informs his children but doesn’t make every decision for them for their entire lives. A good parent will allow their children to make mistakes, so that they can learn from them. And just like there are children who turn their backs to their parents and rebel from their teaching, so it is with God’s children. We know the consequences and we make the choice.
The analogy breaks down, because we can never become “adults” in relation to God.

Also a good parent never imposes “deadlines”, is always willing to forgive the child. That is not the case with God. The deadline is our physical death. The very moment we can have first-hand actual knowledge about God, the “grant” to repent is withdrawn - if, of course, the believers are correct in their assertions.

If they are wrong, everything is fine. If, however, they are right, then God’s love is worthless.

Inbetween benevolent and evil there is a continuous realm of behaviors. The world is not black and white, there is an infinity of grey areas.
Again - the grey areas are a function of your mortal blindness (which we all have to some extent), not some neglect or causation coming from God. What do you think the phrase means, “to see the light”, to be “enlightened”, to have the “light of knowledge”? Perfect light is white. There are no shades. This is the character of Truth. There can’t be more than one answer to the question, “what’s one plus one”? The inability to see the answer is the result of sin and decay, **which man brings on himself with his own free will. **

If we ask the question, “how did the universe begin?”, scientists will come up with a variety of answers, and the best answer may be considered “the truth”, although the answer can never be precisely discerned from our removed experience to the actual creation. Thus, the “truth” in this circumstance, is not really “Truth”, but a grey area which you speak of that perhaps is leading to the truth, but not the truth itself. And the reason we cannot know THE truth about the universe is due to our sin and separation from the will of God.

So, in reality, the universe is black and white. The greys could be a degree of truth, a degree of mistruth, or completely indiscernible. The only peek we’ve been given behind the blinds, as it were, has come through Scripture, the Sacraments, and the infallible teaching of the Magisterium. But to illustrate the importance of our cooperation with this Truth as revealed to the Church, note that even though the Truth Himself - Jesus Christ - stood flesh-and-spirit before the throngs of Israel, obstinance in sin prevented most from recognizing that Truth - and so, crucified Him.

In the end, it’s up to you. We choose a world that experiences evil because we choose to ignore the Truth. All that grey you speak of is a symptom of our fallen nature and persistence in sin.

God has already revealed Himself in Jesus Christ - stopping the premeditating rapist or handing out the cure to cancer won’t bring humanity one step closer in faith. Your point of view is akin to a blind man demanding glasses because he thinks it will cure his blindness.

Also a good parent never imposes “deadlines”, is always willing to forgive the child.
A good parent is always willing to forgive a child AND practice tough love if their lives depended on it. I don’t know anyone - religious or atheist - who would agree with what you said. Check that - the only permissive parents I know have kids whose lives have already gone down the drain in addiction and refuse to move out of the house, because, well, the parents won’t make any deadlines.
The very moment we can have first-hand actual knowledge about God, the “grant” to repent is withdrawn - if, of course, the believers are correct in their assertions.
This is inaccurate. The Church does not discount the possibility that, at the moment of death everyone receives the light of knowledge and an opportunity to embrace or reject Christ.
If they are wrong, everything is fine. If, however, they are right, then God’s love is worthless.
Hogwash! The demons received the light of knowledge and rejected God. Adam and Eve lived in an earthly paradise and chose the serpent over God. Truth has to be assented to, and the ego enslaved to sin will never choose God over itself. Therefore, there is still no slam-dunk - you still have to assent to Christ.

…stopping the premeditating rapist or handing out the cure to cancer won’t bring humanity one step closer in faith.
I don’t think so. Clear, obvious and miraculous interference on behalf of the starving children on Africa (just one example) would make skeptics think. But even if it did not, alleviating suffering is a worthy cause in and by itself and it is a sign of love. Love, if it does not manifest itself in deeds is just an empty word.

This is inaccurate. The Church does not discount the possibility that, at the moment of death everyone receives the light of knowledge and an opportunity to embrace or reject Christ.
Now, that would be nice. But I have never heard that argument before, and heard the opposite many times. Do you have any source to substantiate that?

Now, that would be nice. But I have never heard that argument before, and heard the opposite many times. Do you have any source to substantiate that?
Any of the documents related to “no salvation outside the church” acknowledge that until one is dead, we have the chance of repenting and entering the Body of Christ. I do not have the titles in front of me.

Not to me, he did not. The only “source” is the testimonial of unreliable, fallible humans - and that simply will not do.
Correct me if I am wrong, isn’t this because you personally have judged them so? Just because they don’t meet your standards doesn’t impugn their truth.

Any of the documents related to “no salvation outside the church” acknowledge that until one is dead, we have the chance of repenting and entering the Body of Christ. I do not have the titles in front of me.
I accept that, but the assertion was different. TM30 said that even after death, when we have concrete, first hand knowledge of God, there is a chance that we can repent then and there. And that is not the same thing.
Correct me if I am wrong, isn’t this because you personally have judged them so? Just because they don’t meet your standards doesn’t impugn their truth.
How could I answer that? I have only my judgment to rely on.

I don’t think I ever did. Not because I disagree with an opinion, anyhow.
You did implicitelly, when you said “Finally, an honest answer!”
Oh I understand that. Indeed I would let that person go, and that would be it.
What I would not do, is create a place of everlasting torture and throw them into that place. No one wants to be tortured (especially not forever!).
You misunderstand hell as Christianity understands it. Hell is not a piece of real estate that God dotted with iron maidens and lakes of fire; that’s just a very inadequate metaphor. Hell is the state of utter absense of God. That it is painful is incidental; all pleasure necessarily comes from God, so choosing not-God means you’re choosing to never have pleasure again, and the intense self-centeredness that being in hell means is itself torturous.
As a bare minimum I would give them options after showing them the consequence of their action.
That’s what Earth is. That virtue is pleasure and vice pain is something that is consistently beaten into us by pure experience. Even the pagan Greeks and the modern Humanists know this!
*Give them a guided tour of hell and heaven, and give them three choices:
  3. opt for nonexistence.*
We don’t know that something like this doesn’t happen. The moment of death is a total mystery to us. Maybe Jesus shows up and gives us instant knowledge or something; we just don’t know, because the knowledge isn’t relevant to our salvation. C.S. Lewis wrote a book called “The Great Divorce” about a bus ride from hell to heaven which is, as far as I know, not heretical, though definitelly speculative. The souls are persuaded to let go of their egotism, though most of them choose it anyway.

As for option number 3, I suspect that either it is impossible for God to cause us to cease to exist, or no one would ever actually choose it, or choosing it is really the same thing as choosing hell. I’m not really sure though, so don’t quote me on that.
First, time works differently in the afterlife, so this idea of “changing your mind” is probably absurd on its face. Second, it is entierly conceiveable that the souls in hell have had the embers of their souls die such that they will never change their minds. Haven’t you ever known someone who could be really obstinant about something and you could argue with them forever and no matter how wrong they were they would never ever give an inch? Imagine that, but so much worse, backed by a total lack of spark.
Love is not giving deadlines.
We freely chose to take deadlines. Death was not part of God’s plan for humanity.
Love is not giving ultimatums.
Of course not. But: A) it works both ways. You’re giving ultimatums to God right now, which is so incrediblly absurd as to be laughable. God knows what’s right. You barely have an inkling as to what’s right. How can you possible preference your puerile ultimatums to God’s absolute knowledge? B) reality is a certain way. It isn’t an ultimatum to say “don’t jump over that cliff, because you’ll die if you do,” but a statement of fact. So to with God’s commandments.
Love is not everlasting torture.
Which is why God is trying his darndest to convince us to not subject ourselves to it, while at the same time respecting our free will, because he loves us.
Love is not allowing rapes.
See, this here’s one of those ultimatums which it’s absurd to make, though granted it speaks to our compassion.
Love is not respecting the free will of murderers and disregarding the passionate pleas of the victims.
God hears them and does what he can. Just because you can’t see why someone who knows literally everything might know better than you doesn’t mean he isn’t doing his best.

I accept that, but the assertion was different. TM30 said that even after death, when we have concrete, first hand knowledge of God, there is a chance that we can repent then and there. And that is not the same thing.

How could I answer that? I have only my judgment to rely on.
Only if you distrust everyone else.

I vaguely remember something in one of St Faustina’s visions that supported this. Not exactly canonical, but a legitimate belief. I’ll try to remember and dig up a more precise source this weekend, time permitting.

I’ll second BlaineTog’s suggestion of The Great Divorce. Terrific read! It’s pretty short. I think it’d only take a few hours to breeze through it. There’s a conversation in there, between an angel and one of the “divorced” souls. The soul is repeatedly offered the chance to repent, but keeps insisting that he’ll do it later. The angel’s reply is, “There is no later – all moments are present now.” As I recall, that soul chose not to repent.

Another soul made a different choice. It repented (reluctantly!) and moved on to heaven.

The whole thing very much reminded me of Catholic doctrine on Hell and Purgatory. If the soul chooses to repent, its state can be described as Purgatory. If it willingly chooses separation from God, that’s Hell.

I’m probably not doing justice to it. CS Lewis was a little bit better than me. 😉 But please, stop by a bookstore or library and give it a quick read. Well worth it!

You did implicitelly, when you said “Finally, an honest answer!”
Well, I did not intend to be insulting. It was just an exclamation of joy. I always found that admitting ignorance on any subject is refreshingly honest - intellectually honest, mind you. Too many times have I been in a chasing game, when someone kept running in circles and never admitting ignorance on the subject.
You misunderstand hell as Christianity understands it. Hell is not a piece of real estate that God dotted with iron maidens and lakes of fire; that’s just a very inadequate metaphor.
Many Christians subscribe to its literal truth, and will quote the Bible to support them. And nothing you could say will sway their absolute “certainty” that they are right and you are wrong.
Hell is the state of utter absense of God.
Sorry, God is absent from my life, and still it is quite pleasant, nay, wonderful.
That it is painful is incidental; all pleasure necessarily comes from God, so choosing not-God means you’re choosing to never have pleasure again, and the intense self-centeredness that being in hell means is itself torturous.
Yes, that is a more modern way of thinking. People started to realize that the verbatim Biblical notion of hell is simply morally repugnant.
We don’t know that something like this doesn’t happen. The moment of death is a total mystery to us. Maybe Jesus shows up and gives us instant knowledge or something; we just don’t know, because the knowledge isn’t relevant to our salvation.
As I said before, I find your analysis much to my liking. But let’s be honest, it is nothing more than wishful thinking.
C.S. Lewis wrote a book called “The Great Divorce” about a bus ride from hell to heaven which is, as far as I know, not heretical, though definitelly speculative. The souls are persuaded to let go of their egotism, though most of them choose it anyway.
I cannot resist and tell you a joke (I hope you have not heard it). Here goes:

The Microsoft programmer dies. Before he is judged, he is given an opportunity to visit heaven and hell and he is given the option to choose where he wants to go.

He is brought to a nice sunny beach with pretty girls, beer, volleyball, sunshine etc. He says: “Wow, heaven is great!”. His tour-guide angel smiles and says: “Actually this is hell”.

The programmer says: “Now I cannot wait to see heaven.” So he is brought to city park where some old guys sit on park benches, feeding a few pidgeons. The tour-guide angel says: “Well this is heaven”.

The programmer looks at the angel and says: “Well, I never would have thought it possible, but I choose hell!”. Immediately he finds himself neck-deep in red-hot lava. He screams to the angel: “But where is the beach, where is the beer, where are the girls you promised???”. The angel says: “Well, that was the demo version, this is the production release”.

(There was an alternate version where I will give you the punchline only: “Well, yesterday you saw the campaign promises, but today you voted for us”. I found both of them hilarious).
As for option number 3, I suspect that either it is impossible for God to cause us to cease to exist, or no one would ever actually choose it, or choosing it is really the same thing as choosing hell. I’m not really sure though, so don’t quote me on that.
I can suggest a way to do it: let it be eternal sleep without any dreams. That would work just fine. No pleasure and no pain, just good old fashioned non-existence.
Of course not. But: A) it works both ways. You’re giving ultimatums to God right now, which is so incrediblly absurd as to be laughable.
No, I am asking questions, not making demands. Very different.
God hears them and does what he can. Just because you can’t see why someone who knows literally everything might know better than you doesn’t mean he isn’t doing his best.
I heard that before, and found it utterly unconvincing. I will give you a short synopsis of how I understand this line of reasoning.

You say that this is the best of the possible worlds. Nothing could be better, actually any change would make it worse. Even if we are unaware of the reasons, any rescue of a single rape victim would carry unwanted consequences, which would negate the good coming from the rescue. Curing any sufferer of his disease would bring forth negative consequences. That is why God - who knows best - does not do it.

Is this a fair assessment of your position? If so, I will give you my reasoning why I find it unacceptable.

Only if you distrust everyone else.
When it comes to life-and-death importance it is the best policy to gather as much information as you can, and then make the decision. It is foolish (in my eyes) to trust others, when it comes to my life. How could any other human know as much about me as I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back