Are US cities seeing a surge in violent crime as Trump claims?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Grandpa was raised on the southside of Chicago. This is going to sound rude, but that whole city seems to be a lost cause. You can’t save a sinking ship.
I agree. Chicago, at least certain sections of it, are a mess and will always be a mess.

As for NYC, it will continue to be a mess until they put in a new mayor who does something about the crime like the two mayors before DiBlasio did.
 
I question your motives here.

Why are you hellbent on trying to downplay such increases in murders in so many American cities by trying to tie in possible decreases in theft?
Maybe because is wearisome to continue to see the same old begging the question, and YouTube videos presented as evidence, because… Internet. What once was a joke for a commercial, “If it is on the internet, it has to be true,” has been superseded with even less critical thinking of YouTube information.

I get the impression no one here understands statistics.


https://www.ucrdatatool.gov/index.cfm

If you look back over the years of crime reporting, one thing that is clear, as with all statistics, is that there are anomalies. There will always be grouping and gaps even in flipping a coin. The other thing that is clear is that violent crime is, overall, on the decline. The WWII analogy does not work because this decline is over decades, and there is no even analogous to a world war.

In cities that are seeing a surge in crime this summer, as in all summer, all months, all years, it is the job of local law enforcement to address that crime. It is they who have the authority to enforce state law. The President has no authority to enforce state law.

I have been shaking my head over the hypocrisy of the Republican party this summer, who have abandoned the principle of state’s rights one what is clearly a state’s rights issue.
 
Last edited:
I was under the impression that crime in NYC was pretty low until a few weeks ago, but I don’t follow that that closely so could be incorrect.
 
And how about the Black Panthers, do they speak for the black community?
The Black Panthers were incredibly cool though, and generally good for the communities they operated in. They don’t exist anymore.
 
It’s been getting steadily worse since DiBlasio took office due to his changes in policing procedures.

You can pretty much tell which way the wind is blowing by whether you get menaced by anyone between getting off the Amtrak and making it out onto the street. (Yes, I have nearly been attacked in there.)
 
It doesn’t seem to me it’s accurate to say there’s a “surge” in violent crime anymore. It seems more like a higher norm.
 
My Grandpa was raised on the southside of Chicago. This is going to sound rude, but that whole city seems to be a lost cause. You can’t save a sinking ship.
I’ve been on the south side for decades. People seem to be getting on and faring well. There’s lots of gentrification going on. In the last 20 years the area has become much more diverse, to my reckoning. Its surprising having a mayor on the north side, but she went to school south!

 
Last edited:
The Black Panthers were incredibly cool though, and generally good for the communities they operated in. They don’t exist anymore.
People never saw the Panthers clearly. It is certain that Panthers Fred Hampton and Mark Clark were assassinated by the FBI and local police 12/4/69.

One things the Panthers achieved: They were successful in giving the willies to majority communities!
 
You haven’t read the thread very carefully, the Panthers are back; see post #30.

As for cool, well, if murderers are cool . . .
 
Last edited:
You haven’t read the thread very carefully, the Panthers are back; see post #30.
That was a video, not a post. The format here is supposed to be discussion. Do not expect anyone to click into posted YouTube clips. I for one have no desire to help you raise money for these vloggers, most of whom I do not support.

If an idea is not worth typing out, explaining, and documenting, do not expect anyone to waste time watching stuff.
People never saw the Panthers clearly. It is certain that Panthers Fred Hampton and Mark Clark were assassinated by the FBI and local police 12/4/69.
I am not normally given to theories and conspiracies, but the evidence of this is rather overwhelming. Whether the Black Panthers were more anti-American than the FBI, is debatable. But in any case, the New Black Panther Party is not the same as that party, and the distinctions is critical. There is no Black Panther Party today.
 
Unsure what group you are specifically referring to, but recent groups claiming the name ‘Black Panthers’ are normally unaffiliated with the Black Panthers from the 1970s. The New Black Panthers are the most infamous example. They are racist and anti-Semitic, but the actual Black Panthers were an anti-racist organisation. For the record I am not watching the videos you post. I never do.

The Black Panthers were overwhelmingly a good thing for their communities. They created their own health centres/doctor’s offices for the communities they operated in, fed children, and helped watch over cops to stop police brutality. Their radical message of working class solidarity across racial lines led to the US government murdering Fred Hampton.
 
Last edited:
I watched another video last night in which the narrator, walking around in downtown Portland mentioned under his breath (because he was walking past them) that a group of young kids (10 - 14) armed with guns and knives only a few blocks from where I live were calling themselves Crips. He said he thought it was really sad to see such young kids started off on such a dark path.

I wish I had the luxury of disbelieving in criminality displayed on videos and simply asserting that these videos were displayed on CAF to give money to their creators, but I don’t, because I live here.

antifa, BLM, Black Panthers, and of course, now, Crips . . . but no, no street thugs here . . .
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top