As Casualties Mount, Bush Ignores Reality

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sirach14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sirach14

Guest
Joe Conason I guess is saying President Bush should get real and stop pretending the war is going well, and as planned.
Joe also believes that “Most Americans no longer approve of administation policy.”

observer.com/pages/conason.asp
 
40.png
Sirach14:
Joe Conason I guess is saying President Bush should get real and stop pretending the war is going well, and as planned.
Joe also believes that “Most Americans no longer approve of administation policy.”

observer.com/pages/conason.asp
Joe Conason is certainly the man from whom I would take military advice.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon12.gif
 
“Conservatives believe they know the best way to honor the sacrifices of our troops in Iraq: We must all pretend that the war is going fine, that progress is proceeding according to plan, that the insurgency is soon to be routed, and that victory is somewhere just over the horizon.”

Watch.
 
Let’s be realistic: even with the casualties that have occurred since the end of whatever, there have still been very few GIs killed in the liberation of Iraq.

The speed with which the troops swept threw Iraq came at a price, a price that we are paying now. The heretofore mopping up did not take place, it was the blitzkreig all over again. It is a calculated risk.

Occupation is always one of the most costly times of a campaign. As Napoleon learned, a country may win the battle, but not be able to hold the territory taken.

The press is only making us sound like a bunch of cry-babies, something which earns us very little respect.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not America’s culture has come up against a radical sub-culture that wants to replace us as big dog.

The only question is whether we choose to remain the big dog or not.

I politely submit that it is not necessarily Bush who is denying reality, but people who believe that the Wahabis and their like are peaceful.

People who refuse to learn from history are condemned to relive it. Orlando Bloom’s movie does not depict history. I am afraid that whether anyone admits it or not the Crescent has brought the crusades to the Cross this time around. It may be what we “deserved,” but it is here none-the-less.

If we choose to ignore the past, the only hope I am left with is praying for my children and grandchildren. Which is not entirely a bad thing, but not what I would wish for them, either.
 
Thekla said:
“Conservatives believe they know the best way to honor the sacrifices of our troops in Iraq: We must all pretend that the war is going fine, that progress is proceeding according to plan, that the insurgency is soon to be routed, and that victory is somewhere just over the horizon.”

Watch.

Yes, watch freedom come to the Middle East while you expect and possibly hope for more terrorism.
 
Of course, it depends on what you watch (read, or listen to).

FROM www.powerlineblog.com

AFTER MIDNIGHT

Major E. reported today from Camp Victory in Baghdad with “thoughts after a midnight tank patrol.” Major E. writes: A recent midnight tank patrol near Sadr City met my definition of a good patrol: enough excitement to make it interesting and easy to stay awake but not so much that I could not sleep after the shift.

The unit at a checkpoint several hundred yards down the road took small arms fire and then returned the favor—with larger weapons and more effect. Later, as a chase developed, US and Iraqi forces transited our position, back and forth, for a good hour or so. There was also an intensely bright, but strangely silent, explosion. “Transformer probably blew,” the tank commander said, and was later confirmed by a radio call.

The temperature stayed in the 80’s outside and hovered just over 100 degrees inside the tank. The combination of heat, helmet, and heavy protective gear meant that each time I sat down inside, sweat would begin to stream down my face within a minute or two. The rest of the patrol remained quiet, other than the odd rifle crack.

The situation in the Sadr City area has moved significantly in our favor since militant Shia leader Muqtada Al-Sadr has told his militia to stand down so that he can be involved in the political process. Not to overstate the positive, there are still deadly roadside bomb attacks. The level of violence, though, is far less than what was going on there before Sadr chose the political road.

Good things are happening here in Iraq. While the political process moves forward, the enemy has shifted to more eye-catching attacks, and the television film crews are all too happy to oblige them and then broadcast all that is not going well to those back home. I already wrote about the Al-Jazeera television crew that followed the terrorist car bomb cell around Baghdad, but I will focus on the Western media. The traditional media obsession with bad news was apparent to me when I flew home for some R&R last month. I began conversing with a BBC TV personality who happened to be sitting next to me as the C-130 buffeted through the windy skies.

After the requisite elitist sneer or two toward President Bush, his comments about the state of Iraq were constantly negative, but it seemed that he could not see the forest from the trees. At the time, a Shia had just been appointed as President of Iraq, while a Sunni and Kurd shared the vice-presidency.

These are undeniably historic developments considering the decades of Saddam’s oppression of the Shia and his use of chemical weapons against the Kurds, in stark contrast with the new government’s democratic inclusiveness considering the fact that the Sunnis were still meaningfully represented. He said that was “well and good,” but that the selection of “the cabinet is going to bring the whole government down” because there was disagreement and jockeying for power among the different players hoping to become cabinet ministers. I replied that all governments have disagreements and jockeying for power, with the possible exception of Saddam’s former regime, where the consequences were too terrible to consider, for the “jockey” as well as his political allies, family, and tribe.
 
Continued…

“Picking the president was the easy part,” he continued, as if it had been as simple as catching a floating lotto ball stamped with a name, “but trying to put together a cabinet is futile–and civil war is just around the corner.” He said every word with the calm confidence so often portrayed by the media elite as they push their opinions while trying to appear objective. I explained that I disagreed and reminded him of Churchill’s advice regarding the ugliness of the making of laws and sausages. “I agree that that the process is not perfect, but things keep moving in the right direction,” I maintained.

His comment that “…civil war was just around the corner…” struck me because it seemed far-fetched. After the flight, we parted and I went on vacation, where time spent on a tropical beach with my beautiful wife was followed by a trip to our doctor at home where he informed us that, Lord willing, we will have a baby boy in several months.

A few days later, though, the BBC man’s remark seemed even more far-fetched as the press reported that the Shia/Kurd/Sunni leadership of Iraq announced its new cabinet composed of, you guessed it, Shia, Kurd, and Sunni ministers.

But BBC broadcasts and online reports for those ten days could easily persuade a viewer that my BBC acquaintance’s “sky is falling” prediction was the most accurate. In fact, even when reporting the results, the network focused not on the achievement of yet another milestone in Iraq’s transition from tyranny to democracy, but instead on some minor Sunni minister who was unhappy with his post. I think it was the Minister of the Environment, so perhaps his next step will be to contact Christine Todd Whitman’s literary agent.

Anyway, the episode reminded me of how the media tends to view such events—always as potential cataclysms, rather than as small, positive steps forward. Portraying events that way probably gets more television viewers and sells more newspapers. But the growth of alternative media indicates that the public is learning that they may not be getting the story as objectively as claimed, which creates a thirst for other sources of information, whether it be Fox News, emails from troops, or blogs. Speaking of thirst, I am still dehydrated from the tank patrol. But since I have given up drinking Pepsi and Gatorade, hopefully only a temporary measure, I am stuck with Kuwait’s finest “Abraaj” bottled water, mixed with fruit punch.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for all of the support you and your readers give to the troops.

In Christ,
Major E.
Camp Victory
 
I wonder who would have won WWII if the media then was like today’s media!
 
40.png
trailblazer:
I wonder who would have won WWII if the media then was like today’s media!
In that case, the Germans and Japanese would have hung on for years, convinced that they could win politically, in the streets of America what they couldn’t win on the battlefield.

Those who give our enemies leave to believe we will collapse politically cost American troops their lives.

Let us commit ourselves to seeing they do not do to this generation of American soldiers what they did to my generation.
 
40.png
gilliam:
Yes, watch freedom come to the Middle East while you expect and possibly hope for more terrorism.
You sound more desperate all the time, gilliam. You have more and more been taking to trashing the motives of those who disagree with the wisdom of this war. You’ve done it to me (I’ve been “rooting for a civil war for months” according to you) and now here, too. It’s something I honestly didn’t expect from you.
 
vern humphrey:
In that case, the Germans and Japanese would have hung on for years, convinced that they could win politically, in the streets of America what they couldn’t win on the battlefield.

Those who give our enemies leave to believe we will collapse politically cost American troops their lives.

Let us commit ourselves to seeing they do not do to this generation of American soldiers what they did to my generation.
The similarities between the traditional Japanese and radical Islam are staggering.
 
I could easily make an argument that support for our deceitful government encourages terrorism. Howls of outrage would follow.
 
40.png
Thekla:
I could easily make an argument that support for our deceitful government encourages terrorism. Howls of outrage would follow.
a) when has that stopped you before.

b) refuting your poorly researched arguments does not equal “howls of outrage”.

I listened to Randi Rhodes drone on this afternoon about how global terrorism has increased since 9/11 - therefore, the war on terror has made it worse. Really? So, she knows that global terrorism wouldn’t have increased without the war on terror?

Similarly, she argued that “OBL doesn’t hate America’s freedom, he hates Bush senior, and he doesn’t care much for his son either”. Right. Lib spin machine in action.
 
40.png
Trelow:
The similarities between the traditional Japanese and radical Islam are staggering.
In the sense that both were willing to immolate themselves, and to treat civilians and prisoners as subhuman, absolutely.

You can also make the point that at the ultimate level, their plans and operations are disconnected from reality – they are like a dog chasing a car. What will they do if they catch it?
 
As a Vietnam Vet I am saddened by what the media and liberals (I hate using such terms) are doing by their hatred and their voice to the young men and women putting their lives on the line for American protection against terrorists. They will come home like I did, expecting appreciation, and only made to feel like dirt!

As for prisoners of war…these are **terrorists **who want us and our families dead…entitled to decent treatment as humans but not the rights of the Geneva Convention…also we must be able to use some psychological and psysical methods for interogation. Yes, there have been abuses…these are being handled…so lets put that behind because it only serves to hurt America and its soldiers. I believe that the worst abuses, much worse than treatment of prisoners, are those of the media who are causing deaths to Americans and hurting the American image and morale. Personally, although I am a strong advocate for life, rather than letting prisoners go who would return to kill us, I would not be opposed to the death penalty in these cases.
 
40.png
TomK:
People who refuse to learn from history are condemned to relive it.
How very very true.

Britain:

Ireland
India
Pakistan
Yemen
Palestine
America
et al.

Or America:

Korea
Vietnam
Cambodia
Somalia
et al.

Seems like a good idea to learn from history, pity we don’t!!!
 
40.png
trailblazer:
As for prisoners of war…these are **terrorists **who want us and our families dead…kill us,
Of course they are , we have all read the results of the court cases where they were tried and convicted in accordance with the laws we insist others should follow, and the same laws we impose on those we invade. The laws that presume innocence until proven guilty. How stupid of any us to think that such laws are only for the selective few that agree with us; and to imagine that ANY administration would purposely ignore extending such fundemental human rights to anyone is herasy and should be ignored totally as lies and calumnies of the worst possible kind!!! Our wonderful western civilization would never stand for such a thing, would it? (or would it?)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top