Ask A Protestant

• Thread starter Thread starter grantklentzman1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have the right to assume he was a true Christian. I just haven’t looked into it as much and can’t say for sure what I believe on it. I do like and appreciate your questions though.

We have free will. However, when it comes to justification, God makes a promise that He will protect them from falling away (John 10:27-29). We have free will insofar as our free will does not contradict God’s promises. For example, God being glorified and Him being victorious at the end of time will happen regardless of what us human beings can do with our free will. I hope that makes sense

My confidence is not based on what I can do to earn or maintain right standing before God. I trust in Jesus’ work and trust that He has forgiven me of every sin.

I don’t believe that there’s any sin that can separate us from God if we trust in Jesus Christ’s work as the sole means by which our sins are forgiven.
The Bible repeatedly teaches that it is possible for the repentant and believing to “return to the vomit”, “fall away”, and “turn back”. The Catholic Church teaches that mortal sin remains a possibility for anyone until death. If someone does fall away into mortal sin, there is no guarantee of second chances.

Miserable the sinners who, after having been enlightened, return to the vomit.
St Paul says, that it is morally impossible for them to be again converted. “For it is impossible for those who were once illuminated—have tasted also the heavenly gifts, … and are fallen away, to be renewed again to penance.” (Heb. 6:4, 6.)

For it had been better for them not to have known the way of justice, than, after they had known it, to turn back.” (2 Pet. 2:21.)

Saint Alphonsus Liguori, First Sunday of Lent: On the Number of Sins beyond Which God Pardons No More in Sermons for All the Sundays in the Year (Eighth Edition, pp. 116–117). Dublin; London: James Duffy & Sons.

Classic Bible passage on the difference between deadly and non-deadly sins (or mortal and venial sins).
If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly. (1 John 5:16-17)
Questions for the “Ask a Protestant” offer:
  1. Do you believe that the Bible is all sufficient to tell us all that we need to know? Or, do we need to continue to hear and heed what the Spirit has been saying to the Churches (Revelation 2-3)?
  2. Despite what Jesus said in Matthew 16:18 about building his Church, do you believe that the Jesus failed to build his Church until the the printing press and church schisms happened the 15th and 16th centuries?

If so then all the more reason notcto depart from the Church
I am asking how the OP views the Trinity since it is not explicitly in the bible. If he believes in the catholic dogma of the trinity why not the other dogmas?

What do you mean by Holy Communion? We may have differences. However, I think we’d both agree that the Lord’s Supper is something the church should do in remembrance of what Jesus has done
My friend is independent Baptist I believe and they maybe only celebrate the
Lord’s Supper once a year if even that. I told her to speak to the pastor about
it, but she doesn’t, I suppose thst would be considered her husband’s place to
bring it up. She just gets real quiet when I tell her to bring it up with the
pastor. @grantklentzman1

Last edited:
If you are Catholic you must believe in the Trinity.
Of coarse i believe in the Trinity. I just said I dont consider your example explicit evidence of the Trinity. Implicit, yes but not explicit.

Peace!!!

It is explicitly in the Bible

(A) In Genesis, chaper 1

God is the Father Who creates
The Spirit who moved over the face of the waters and
The Word which God spoke

(B) John Chapter one identifies the Word with Jesus

(C) In Matthew 28 Jesus enjoins baptism in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

If you mean that the word “Trinity” was not used till later that is perfectly correct. But the fact of God’s Trinitarian nature is made plain in scripture.

I assume you are not Catholic?
I’m not Catholic in communion with the pope, and I agree. This, and the narrative of Christ’s baptism, are explicit.

My confidence is not based on what I can do to earn or maintain right standing before God. I trust in Jesus’ work and trust that He has forgiven me of every sin.
My confidence is not based on what I can do to earn or maintain right standing before God. I hope in His Mercy. Praise the LORD, for he is good; for his mercy endures forever (Psalm 136:1).

I don’t trust in my trust. I would fear to do that. I do aspire to remain faithful to Christ and to persevere and plead for graces to not only persevere but to “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).

We don’t “rest on our laurels”. We need to keep growing in the Christian life. See the section on fruitful growth in the faith in 2 Peter 1:5-11. We want to give all diligence to add to our faith. We don’t want to be barren and unfruitful. We don’t want to be shortsighted and blind. We don’t want to stumble. We want to lay up treasures in heaven. We keep pressing on for higher callings. We live in hope of the salvation that is yet to be revealed.

What do you mean by Subordinate?
One of the tenets of the doctrine of the Trinity is that The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit have existed co-eternally and co-equally forever.

Suppose a believer reads John 6:38
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me.

and the believer comes to the conclusion that Jesus isn’t co-equal with the Father, but rather subordinate to the Father. Since the individual’s belief at that moment is different from that of the classic definition of the Trinity, is he/she still saved by putting his/her trust in Jesus, even though Jesus is “misunderstood” by the individual to some degree at that moment?

Last edited:
As a Southern Baptist, would you hold to a purely symbolic view of the Eucharist and the Sacraments in general?

Catholics would actually agree with you in saying that we are completely saved and justified when have faith and are baptized, i.e. initially enter into God’s grace and friendship. It’s not as if we’re only partially saved or justified at this point and have to do more good works in order to be saved/justified. That’s not what the Church teaches. What we do believe, however, is that we are able to perform good works by the Spirit and we are called to stay in God’s grace, persevering to the end that we may be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back