Attempt At A Mutually Respectful Abortion Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter EmmaSowl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t fully understand your meaning. Do you mean the right to life of humans considered non-persons is subject to circumstances, such as the relative amount of resources? Would you consider it wrong to say that this perspective creates a ranking of sorts between greater and lesser human beings?
I think this line of thinking (with greater and lesser human beings, scarcity of resources allowing for disposing of non-persons) also risks greatly corroding notions of inalienable human rights prevalent in democratic societies. Although again, some people are quite content to say that human rights are just a social construct created for convenience and that humans have no rights except what we decide to give them, so this might not be that objectionable a consequence to some.
First of all: “the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” is a beautiful poetic saying, without any validity behind it.

And, if you have one dose of vaccines and two people who need it, you must choose, who will live and who will die.

Can’t we just agree that a head, arms and legs, organs, skin, eyes, ears, hands, feet, hair, and blood are fundamentally different than if you put them together and make a person.

I like to look at the issue from how I would feel laying on my favorite couch, in my favorite blanket, all nice and cozy, with my favorite snack, watching my favorite movie, and thinking, ‘I’m so safe here! I love life!’’

Then, a giant surgical-steel forceps comes crashing through the DOOR, and rips off my arms and legs, and then crushes my head! What a drag.

Or how God feels about it, a loving father gave his daughter a kitten. But she couldn’t be bothered with caring for it. So she took it to the vet to have its limbs and head torn off, no anesthesia! The vet assured her that screeching was confirmation it didn’t feel a thing!

The vet put it in a plastic bag, and the girl gave the bloody mess back to her father at home! He was not pleased. She said, “It’s just a surgical procedure. It’s my right! I don’t have time to take care of it!”

The father said, "Oh my twisted daughter! I would have given you everything you asked! But you didn’t ask. Depart from me you wicked, into the lake of burning sulfur, with the devil and their minions! For I never knew you! You will burn forever!

Or, for what it really is, the sin fornication compouded by scraping the resulting baby out of the womb into the trash. That doesn’t go over with God! Anyone who calls themselves Catholic will never call abortion less than what it is! Although I make no judgment on the mother, except that it’s fortunate her genetic code won’t continue.

When mothers are legally permitted to have their healthy fetuses aborted, it cleans the gene pool! But let us take another look. Abortion is the ‘human’ race committing genocide against itsel’

Ok kids, you promised you’d go to bed after our lesson!

Well, that’s your perspective on human rights, but it is absolutely a minority perspective politically speaking. The majority of popular democratic thought, including that of the UN and most democratic societies, builds their notion of human rights, not to mention their legal system, on the idea that their is validity behind the notion of inherent human rights. It’s central to systems of laws that speak on what duties a government has to its citizens. That is why the autonomous agency argument is very costly; to argue that personhood rests on cognitive inability (levels of sentience and sapience), and thus that many adults and children are human but not persons, corrodes democratic systems that serve as the basis for many modern societies. It’s very important to understand these potential consequences when arguing that not all human organisms are persons, because it’s not just abortion that is affected by that argument. All of human rights, including disabled rights, mentally challenged rights, and the rights of children, are effected when you change the basis for what constitutes personhood. Democratic systems of governments would look very different if one removed the underlying assumption that people have inherent human rights.

I don’t understand your point when you talk about vaccines; it does not follow from the fact that in some certain scenarios a decision concerning life and death between two individuals must be made that some ranking of greater and lesser persons must exist.

Can you say that again without the rhetoric? It was a bit confusing and rather disturbing.

We “humans” are both sentient and sapient beings.
Your definition of the point at which a human entity becomes a human being is “at birth”. The problem is that neither sentience (conscious, self aware, feeling) nor sapience (discerning, perceptive, insightful) happens at that point. As you say, "a human in the earliest stages of life is neither." What is important to note here is that “the earliest stages of life” could mean anything, and surely means something very different for sentience than for sapience. If both are required for a human entity to be considered a human being then sapience alone would justify describing an awful lot of people a long way after birth as non-human.
The more ability to sapience it gains, the closer it becomes to a “real” human being.
This is a somewhat disturbing assertion. According to this the “more ability to sapience” one has the more one is a real human being, and presumably the more human rights one would would be able to claim. If I was able to claim greater sagacity that should mean I would have more rights than those with less. Clearly Trump supporters are deficient in the sagacity department, and they should naturally have fewer human rights than those who oppose him.

Once you recognize that all this is arbitrary it all makes perfect sense.

Because of the ‘is-ought’ problem, all purely secular moral standards must be arbitrary. I don’t think @Abrosz has an issue with arbitrary moral standards-- correct me if I’m wrong.

40.png
VanitasVanitatum:
That’s a made up requirement.
How so? To quote Forrest Gump: “a person is as a person does.”
I don’t see why independency changes anything.
A parasite or another symbiotic entity are not considered “human” beings.
Well, you do very little more than a coma patient would while you are asleep. Even less, possibly., when under general.anaesthetic and reliant on machines for breathing or circulation.

Does that mean we aren’t, or aren’t fully, human at such times? And somehow bexome human again when we wake.up from the op or come.out of the coma?

I don’t see that being ‘persistent’ in such a state matters. After all, an unborn is guaranteed to ‘cone out of’ their state soon enough.

Well, that’s your perspective on human rights, but it is absolutely a minority perspective politically speaking.
Are we going to “vote” which one is the correct version?
The majority of popular democratic thought, including that of the UN and most democratic societies, builds their notion of human rights, not to mention their legal system, on the idea that their is validity behind the notion of inherent human rights.
It is a useful approach, but that is all. And “rights” are social constructs, given or taken away at the whim of the strongest bully on the block, which would be the nation state. And for the word “democracy”, the definition is this: “We speak of democracy when two wolves and one sheep vote to decide what will be the dinner tonight”. 🙂 I prefer the Roman approach as opposed to the Greek one - the concept of “constitutional republic” as opposed to “democracy”.

By the way, I would be very happy if there WERE inalienable rights, with some enforcer keeping them against negative effects.
I don’t understand your point when you talk about vaccines; it does not follow from the fact that in some certain scenarios a decision concerning life and death between two individuals must be made that some ranking of greater and lesser persons must exist.
And that is the whole point. Just because we agree on something in principle, we are not required to act accordingly. We can and should be compassionate - because of the reciprocal altruism.

Nevertheless, you are welcome to present an alternative definition for “personhood”. Just be careful so a “tumor” will not be included in the class of persons.
Your definition of the point at which a human entity becomes a human being is “at birth”.
That is when the entity becomes a biologically independent being, who does not rely on exploiting the bodily resources of someone else.
What is important to note here is that “the earliest stages of life” could mean anything, and surely means something very different for sentience than for sapience.
The sentient portion is contingent upon the nervous system, and the sapient part is contingent upon the sufficiently developed brain. But I use the expression to designate the zygote, the blastocyst and the embryo.

Because of the ‘is-ought’ problem, all purely secular moral standards must be arbitrary. I don’t think @Abrosz has an issue with arbitrary moral standards-- correct me if I’m wrong.
What one calls “moral” is subjective. One person’s freedom fighter is the other person’s terrorist - even if they perform the same action. This is fact, unfortunately.
Does that mean we aren’t, or aren’t fully, human at such times?
Being asleep is a natural part of living. Just because you act differently when asleep this temporary condition does not make any difference. On the other hand, if someone’s brain has deteriorated to the level that only the brain-stem remains (Terri Schiavo comes to mind) then the personhood disappears. Without a working frontal lobe there is no personhood.

Let’s examine a somewhat hypothetical example. Take a fully grown, healthy human person, and start replacing its organs with equivalently working artificial prostheses. This process does not affect the personhood - as long as the brain is not affected. As soon as the frontal lobe is removed or damaged, there is no “person” left.

That is when the entity becomes a biologically independent being, who does not rely on exploiting the bodily resources of someone else.
Birth is a clear point that distinguishes between entities, but that distinction is physical, not biological. Your definition of human being has nothing to do with the nature of the embryo, but is entirely determined by its effect on the mother. You’re a long way from biology 101 at this point.
The sentient portion is contingent upon the nervous system, and the sapient part is contingent upon the sufficiently developed brain. But I use the expression to designate the zygote, the blastocyst and the embryo.
And neither sentience nor sapience is conferred at birth. Your multiple definitions of human being are contradictory. Whatever resources you can call on to defend your position, biology is not one of them.

Birth is a clear point that distinguishes between entities, but that distinction is physical, not biological.
Biological independence (birth) designates the point when the entity does not rely on the parasitic / symbiotic relationship.
And neither sentience nor sapience is conferred at birth.
They are both evolving attributes. On the other hand the act of birth is the deciding factor of biologically independent existence.

Biological independence (birth) designates the point when the entity does not rely on the parasitic / symbiotic relationship.
Perhaps, but it is not a point which conveys sentience or sapience, which are your requirements to be considered a person. Pretty much all that can be said of birth, biologically speaking, is that it is a precise point, which, other than conception, doesn’t otherwise exist in the life of a living entity. Apparently your new (third) definition is “not in a parasitic/symbiotic relationship”, which, again, has really nothing to do with the biological nature of the fetus. Presumably in the future there will be artificial wombs, at which point their occupants would meet your criteria for consideration as persons, even though - biologically speaking - they are indistinguishable from those still within their mother’s bodies.
On the other hand the act of birth is the deciding factor of biologically independent existence.
What is the distinction - as far as the person is concerned - between biological dependence on the mother and physical dependence on machines? We are discussing what makes a human entity a person, and independent living doesn’t seem all that critical, biologically speaking.

40.png
Cantankersaurus:
What one calls “moral” is subjective. One person’s freedom fighter is the other person’s terrorist - even if they perform the same action. This is fact, unfortunately.
Does that mean we aren’t, or aren’t fully, human at such times?
Being asleep is a natural part of living. Just because you act differently when asleep this temporary condition does not make any difference. On the other hand, if someone’s brain has deteriorated to the level that only the brain-stem remains (Terri Schiavo comes to mind) then the personhood disappears. Without a working frontal lobe there is no personhood.

Let’s examine a somewhat hypothetical example. Take a fully grown, healthy human person, and start replacing its organs with equivalently working artificial prostheses. This process does not affect the personhood - as long as the brain is not affected. As soon as the frontal lobe is removed or damaged, there is no “person” left.
Being a zygote or a blastocyst or an embryo or a fetus are all both a natural and a very temporary part of living as well. So is the dependency attached to babyhood and childhood for that matter.

By the way, you aren’t clear on what level of brain and body development you consider necessary to achieve “personhood” such that right to life commences. Would you advocate for the right to do away with a one-hour old child ? One month? One year? Ten years?

Last edited:
Just because you act differently when asleep this temporary condition does not make any difference.
The embryo is also in a temporary state.
Being asleep is a natural part of living.
That doesn’t mean anything since they do not have sentience or sapience in that state.

Last edited:
That doesn’t mean anything since they do not have sentience or sapience in that state.
Sure they do. It is just not expressed in words or acts. Going by this approach you would expect me to deny personhood for someone who does not speak for a few minutes.

Sure they do. It is just not expressed in words or acts. Going by this approach you would expect me to deny personhood for someone who does not speak for a few minutes.
Anyone who has slept would know that they aren’t aware or thinking during that time either.

Nevertheless, you are welcome to present an alternative definition for “personhood”. Just be careful so a “tumor” will not be included in the class of persons.
Rough definition of personhood: An individual human organism with a unique and complete set of DNA that resulted from the unification of a sperm and egg.

A tumor fails to qualify because it is not the result of conception, and does not have a complete and unique set of DNA such that it has the potential to grow into a unique human individual. I am no biological expert, but I to my knowledge a tumor is always a slightly mutated version of its subjects DNA, results from a single or multiple random mutations, and would never develop naturally into an entirely new and unique human being.

I agree with the rest of the posters that your definition of personhood that you use seems to constantly shift. Is it biological independence? (I really don’t think a newborn infant qualifies as biologically independent. Without the care of other humans, it would die) Is it sentience, defined as the capacity to feel or experience subjectively? If so, what level of subjective feeling is necessary? Numerous studies suggest fetuses feel pain, as well as dream, in utero; I think defining the level of sentience is vital. Is it sapience, which is commonly defined as wisdom or profound knowledge? If so, what level of knowledge must one reach? Surely, a good deal of human beings (likely including any child under the age of 10, and that’s generous) lose out on the possibility of personhood if sapience is a key factor.
They are both evolving attributes. On the other hand the act of birth is the deciding factor of biologically independent existence.
To add to what Ender has alluded to, birth does nothing in marking biological independence. A baby outside the womb is just as dependent on others, the only difference being it doesn’t necessarily have to depend on the mother. However, if the possibility of biological independence from the mother is the deciding factor, than fetuses from 20 weeks up, when babies can and have survived outside of the womb, have personhood and must be protected.

Rough definition of personhood: An individual human organism with a unique and complete set of DNA that resulted from the unification of a sperm and egg.
Insufficient. Personhood requires an active frontal lobe.

As for the “result of a conception”, one of the maternal twins is the result of a split from the zygote. Sometimes there is a need for a surgery to separate the two halves of the brain. They can be kept alive, one of them even transplanted into a new body. This new being qualifies to be a person, as long as there is an active frontal lobe.
I really don’t think a newborn infant qualifies as biologically independent. Without the care of other humans, it would die
That is not what biologically independent means. It is the fact that the newborn does not use the bodily resources of the mother. The necessary caring can be performed by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back