Baby Baptism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blain1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, ty for all your help I think I understand now. Baby baptism is a major subject that Christians like to put down and I wanted to know what baby baptism is meant for and to understand it before i make any judgment on it like everyone else does. Im guessing most who mock it and put it down dont really know a lot about it or understand it
It was universally practiced for 1500 years. No reason to put it down.
 
Yes I know you are, but many do not see it that way. You go by the title Catholic which is a type of Christianity but the ppl who go by Christian have some views on catholism and not many are Good./QUOTE}

I will be blunt here, and ask your forgiveness. Everyone in the world who goes by Christian belongs to a denomination. They are either Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. Even Christians who call themselves “non-denominational” are in fact Protestant.

There is no escaping this fact.

I was raised in a denomination that called itself “undenominational” and thought they were the world’s only Christians. Their denomination was founded by men breaking away from another denomination. And they were founded in the year 1906. Everyone before 1906 was not going to heaven? In this groups rhetoric they are.

They too call themselves ‘just Christian’ but used it in a way to deny that anyone not in their denomination is not Christian.

They are and were wrong. There are no ‘just Christians’.
 
Blain1;12318935:
Yes I know you are, but many do not see it that way. You go by the title Catholic which is a type of Christianity but the ppl who go by Christian have some views on catholism and not many are Good.
If I belonged to a denomination idk which one it would be nor do I really care. I am a Christian, a seeker of his heart thats all i need to know
 
andrewstx;12319081:
If I belonged to a denomination idk which one it would be nor do I really care. I am a Christian, a seeker of his heart thats all i need to know
If you seek Him you also have to seek truth because He is the truth. Don’t fool yourself into thinking these things don’t matter.
 
I have to echo seraphim. To me, this whole non denominational movement is a dangerous thing. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I’m not insinuating that you are ignorant, I don’t believe that to be the case. The very fact that you are here illustrates otherwise.

What I mean by that, is the nondenominational movement is predicated on the belief that sola-scriptura and sola fide are valid, but it’s taken a step further because not only do they make the error in those judgements, they then have no further guiding compass with which to draw ANY conclusion. If everyone is free to call themselves by what ever they want and to form their own theology based on what htey believe is in their heart, then how do we determine where to draw the line?

I think many non-denominational protestants believe that they are doing something new, that they are being more enlightened by not being attached to a label. The truth is, taking the bible and forming your own assumptions based on it is nothing new at all, that’s why there are like 33,000 protestant denominations.

I feel like I’m being really blunt here. I’m not trying to be, it’s just… this thinking is dangerous.
 
Ok I read the links and I honestly cannot make much of an arguement, I am confused about some things though, like what is the difference between original sin and the sin one makes when coming into knowledge of right and wrong?
Because while baptizing babies may cleanse of original sin they still grow up sinful.
You heard about Catholics baptizing infants, hmmmm?

Did that person also tell you about the:

Eastern Orthodox,
Oriental Orthodox,
Anglicans,
Lutherans,
Presbyterians,
Methodists,
certain Nazarenes,
United Church of Christ (UCC),
Moravian Church,
Metropolitan Community Church,
Wesleyans,
Episcopalians, and
Reformed churches?

Who also baptize infants?

I am guessing probably not. The Evangelical and Fundamentalist world doesn’t talk about that very much. So, rather than ask Catholics, why not first ask non-Catholics for their reasons?
 
I refuse to put myself in a denomination
Blain, do you attend a weekly Church service or are you staying away from organized religion?
as I hate how the many denominations seperate the body of Christ instead of uniting it.
Not sure about the word hate but the gist of what you say is very Catholic.
I just call myself a Christian,
Great. Per the subject of the thread, the earliest Christians baptized babies.
i will be whoever God wants me to be and I will believe whatever he wants me to believe.
Amen
I choose to be love and love only.
The best that we can do is to follow his command to love one another.
The majority of Christians I am talking about are lots of different denominations, it isnt just the baby baptism its a lot of the catholic traditions such as having a pope and calling him father to the praying to mary and such.
It’s Traditions, not traditions: the faith handed down from the apostles. The bible actually says that we we are to call “no man father”, not just the Pope.

But we do understand that Jesus was making a point here about the pharisees, that they were building themselves up. It was a hyperbole. He’s wasn’t saying not to call anyone 'father", certainly not your own father.

Similarly, with Mary. No where in the bible does it say that we should not or can not pray to Mary (thereby asking for her intercession for us to God). In fact, the bible says that we should pray for each other. In doing so we build up the Body of Christ and show love for one another. The saints in heaven are in a unique position … .they are righteous… and the prayers of a righteous man avail much. Mary is not just any Saint, she is the Mother of our God. And what son would refuse to listen to his mother?
 
It washes away original sin? Okay before I do anything I have two questions-1 how can a baby have sin when it cant even decide whats right from wrong yet?
and 2- I thought thats what Jesus blood did?
A baby can’t sin; sin must be a voluntary immoral act. It’s been my experience that infants don’t have ‘voluntary’ acts, nor do they even have a concept of moral. A baby can receive the punishment of another’s sin simply from being born. Take for example a child who is born during a war. His King and ruler then loose the war and the entire nation is made to pay reparations. We can be assured that a baby never picked up a weapon and conducted war, yet he will be part of the punishment, maybe for a life time. The child doesn’t bear the guilt, he never lifted a finger yet he receives the punishment. It’s in this sense that we say every person born after Adam has this original sin.

Original sin is a privation of an original justice; or as some say a privation of grace. Prior to the fall, Adam stood before God as a just man. Adam had no need of salvation as he was created good, he was sanctified. Original justice accompanying Adam’s creation was a moral quality or habit that perfectly joined Adam’s will to an enlightened understanding of the will of God. Justice is inexplicably joined to the other Cardinal virtues; justice gives the rights to honorable prudence, temperance, and fortitude in moral acts. All acts are for the glory and honor of God, thus without justice any act is avaricious. It could be said Adam ‘abided’ in God, much like we are invited to abide in Christ partaking in the Eucharist. [John 6:57]. [Notice the use of the words virtues, honor, justice, etc. these have give spiritual strength]

We find then that the original man was created with a soul that was perfectly joined to the intellect and united with the will of God, overflowing with the knowledge of truth; the intellect functioned in the light of God’s will disciplining the lower appetites through reason alone. This original man could ‘reason’ why he should honor God, be just, be prudent, and be strong in his virtuous graces simply because he knew God, spoke with God, and befriended by God. However, because of an unjust act (you might say an act of war) we now bear the just punishment for the sin of one man.

Baptism then becomes a washing away of punishment allowing us to receive sanctifying grace (we are marked with the seal of faith, saved as others say). But, all of those virtuous strengths that Adam once had are not necessarily restored all at once; we’re left with ‘disordered desires’, (there is a big word for this disorder, “concupiscence” - I have to look it up every time). Baptism opens us to other actual graces wherein the means are provided to overcome concupiscence through the sacraments of the Church.

St. Paul compared the seal of Baptism to the seal of circumcision, an indelible mark. Jewish fathers had responsibility to have their sons circumcised by the 8th day after birth. It was a mark that identified the child a member of the community. Likewise, the seal of Baptism is a responsibility of the parents as well as an indelible mark identifying the child as a member of the Kingdom of God, something that will never be taken away - however in sin he can surrender it.

JoeT
 
I see, ty for all your help I think I understand now. Baby baptism is a major subject that Christians like to put down and I wanted to know what baby baptism is meant for and to understand it before i make any judgment on it like everyone else does. Im guessing most who mock it and put it down dont really know a lot about it or understand it
Welcome.

I can understand your confusion, as I grew up Baptist and we didn’t have infant baptism.

A good way to understand it is to reflect on EXACTLY what Jesus meant by His creation of the New Covenant. For several thousand years, God prepared His people to be ready for the New Covenant, by giving them first the Old Covenant. How were Israelites made members of the Old Covenant? They were circumcized, and this was done when they were 8 DAYS old. Did those babies agree to the covenant or make a personal declaration? Of course not. Their parents made it for them. Their entrance into the Old Covenant was actually completed when the actual circumcision was completed, not before. It wasn’t done by feeling, prayer, or declarations. Their entrance was actually enacted by the event happening.

So how are we made members of the New Covenant? Scripture tells us it is by baptism, which now saves us. So the question is this: Is the New Covenant more restrictive than the Old Covenant, or is it more open to everyone? Easy answer, it is open to everyone. So we should expect that entrance into the Covenant would be at least as open as the entrance into the OC. Since the OC allowed entrance at 8 days old, why should infants NOT be baptized in the New Covenant?
 
Yep I figured as much, I have heard all sorts of things about Catholics like worshipping mary and the pope and such but I dont believe it till I see it so I check it out. The Catholics seem to be very misunderstood
Ask as many questions as you like. There are no questions you can ask which have not already been asked and will be happily answered again! (Do make sure though to separate your questions into separate threads to each topic can be thoroughly discussed and answered and so no question is left unattended or unanswered.

As others noted, nope, we don’t worship Mary nor the Pope. To do so is idolatry and severely condemned and forbidden in Catholicism. Many are confused however because we pray to saints in Heaven asking them to pray for us to God, just as many people ask others here on earth to pray for them (Catholics do this as well too). You can see examples of saints bringing our prayers to God in the Book of Revelation in chapters 5 and 8.
 
Welcome.

I can understand your confusion, as I grew up Baptist and we didn’t have infant baptism.

A good way to understand it is to reflect on EXACTLY what Jesus meant by His creation of the New Covenant. For several thousand years, God prepared His people to be ready for the New Covenant, by giving them first the Old Covenant. How were Israelites made members of the Old Covenant? They were circumcized, and this was done when they were 8 DAYS old. Did those babies agree to the covenant or make a personal declaration? Of course not. Their parents made it for them. Their entrance into the Old Covenant was actually completed when the actual circumcision was completed, not before. It wasn’t done by feeling, prayer, or declarations. Their entrance was actually enacted by the event happening.

So how are we made members of the New Covenant? Scripture tells us it is by baptism, which now saves us. So the question is this: Is the New Covenant more restrictive than the Old Covenant, or is it more open to everyone? Easy answer, it is open to everyone. So we should expect that entrance into the Covenant would be at least as open as the entrance into the OC. Since the OC allowed entrance at 8 days old, why should infants NOT be baptized in the New Covenant?
Very good answer! 😃 I don’t think many who call themselves “Christians” as opposed to some denominational branch REALIZE that they are in actuality a mutated form of the Baptist denomination.

In fact, what is sad, is that these “Christians” know more wrong information about the Catholic Church, than they do right information about their own sect. They believe they are just “Bible Christians” but their particular non-denominational sect is in reality very much a denomination. One that denies all sacraments, the ministerial priesthood, and organized hierarchical visible churches. They ALL have this in common, and they are usually denoted as “Evangelicals”, “Born agains”, “Fundamentalists”, “Bible Christians”, or just plain “Christians.”

They have no idea how their “denomination” came to be, nor do they care (but if they do, it is a very good indicator of a desire for Truth.)
 
Apparently Blain has left the room. I fail to understand his “Lone Ranger” Christianity. Did he baptize himself? How is that possible? Does he give himself Holy Communion?
 
Apparently Blain has left the room. I fail to understand his “Lone Ranger” Christianity. Did he baptize himself? How is that possible? Does he give himself Holy Communion?
Such astute and self-generated sources of expertise as CARM teach that baptism is no longer necessary for salvation. They, of course, ignore Christ and take Paul’s words out of context to arrive at that derailing of the Gospel. As to communion, well it is merely symbolic. They say that drinking blood was a sin. OK, so why then did Christ command us to symbolically sin? Isn’t that the same as lusting after someone else? If you can commit adultery in your heart by lusting, then you can also commit sin by symbolically drinking blood. Poor souls! They are doing the best they can with what they have - which amounts to no more than their personal opinions. Their theology is a mile wide, but only an inch deep. We can only pray for them.
 
Such astute and self-generated sources of expertise as CARM teach that baptism is no longer necessary for salvation. They, of course, ignore Christ and take Paul’s words out of context to arrive at that derailing of the Gospel. As to communion, well it is merely symbolic. They say that drinking blood was a sin. OK, so why then did Christ command us to symbolically sin? Isn’t that the same as lusting after someone else? If you can commit adultery in your heart by lusting, then you can also commit sin by symbolically drinking blood. Poor souls! They are doing the best they can with what they have - which amounts to no more than their personal opinions. Their theology is a mile wide, but only an inch deep. We can only pray for them.
Po,

They (that other anti-Catholic website) also twist St. Peter’s words. Scripture can not be any clearer. 1 Peter 3 below:

And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for[a] a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Here’s what they say:

1 Pet. 3:21 is not teaching us that baptism is what saves us. Rather, it is showing us that the water symbolizes a spiritual cleansing through the power of the Holy Spirit gained through Christ’s victory over death. It is the person’s appeal to God that saves the soul–not the washing of water upon the body.

But of course this goes against 2,000 years of not only Latin Catholic but Eastern Catholic and Orthodox teaching.

And they certainly don’t want to hear about what the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church said some 1,800 years ago:

“And in the Gospel our Lord Jesus Christ spoke with His divine voice, saying, “Except a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” This is the Spirit which from the beginning was borne over the waters; for neither can the Spirit operate without the water, nor the water without the Spirit…Unless therefore they receive saving baptism in the Catholic Church, which is one, they cannot be saved, but will be condemned with the carnal in the judgment of the Lord Christ.” Council of Carthage VII (A.D. 258).

Baptism being salvific is very much in contradiction to their theology of baptism being symbolic only. A newer theology of man born some 500 years ago.

PnP
 
40.png
Porknpie:
Baptism being salvific is very much in contradiction to their theology of baptism being symbolic only. A newer theology of man born some 500 years ago.
Yes, the reformers that were riding on Martin Luther’s doctrines, thought they would go ALL THE WAY, with Luther’s “Faith Alone,” much to Luther’s antagonism and dismay. But with his doctrine of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, it was the natural progression, albeit unintentional. They have lost Faith in everything except the Bible (so far.)

Ultimately, these Bible only Christians will doubt the Bible because of the Historical/Critical exegesis, so much in vogue right now, and then they will have nothing. It is the continuation of the natural progression begun by the reformers. All of it is the unintended consequences of the derailing of Christianity by the reformers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top