G
grannymh
Guest
I need to stop at what Catholicism teaches about Original Sin, because there are a lot of teachings about Original Sin from the first three chapters of Genesis to Romans 5: 12-21 and 1 Corinthians 15: 21-22. From God as Almighty Creator to the Divinity of Jesus Christ.Hi grannymh,
I think you might be overstepping here. Evolution teaches that all human anatomies are in the same species, genetically similar and are perhaps biologically equivalent (or roughly so), but that’s a leap from what Catholicism teaches about Original Sin.
What would you say are the particular Original Sin teachings which intersect with the teachings from the science of human evolution?
When it comes to the biological human, we have to deal with apples and oranges in the organic garden. This is because the union of the material world of science and the spiritual world of God is so profound that it forms a single human nature.It sounds like you’re comparing apples and oranges. Remember, evolution is only concerned with the biological science, not the philosophical debate as the state of man’s relationship with God. So although you may hear overarching terms like “equality” in evolutionary science, it’s important to recognize that it’s within a biological context.
(CCC, 364-366) link to Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition. usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/
For more information, I suggest paragraphs 1730-1732 and paragraphs 355-421.
I am not sure what other theories you are referring to. However, it is not proper to simply refer to biological evolution without explaining what that entails. Current theories have the foundation that populations evolve genetically. Thus, one is faced with the simple observation that the first two humans actually refer to the first two real humans and not to a first human population.There may be a fair number of biologists who reject the possibility of Adam and Eve, but that doesn’t mean one can’t suggest that evolution was how God created Adam and Eve. Saying “I think biological evolution provides a good scientific explanation for how man was created” doesn’t contradict the possibility of Adam and Eve. It also doesn’t automatically subscribe oneself to the rest of the theories that other scientists may hold.
It is here where I struggled with a possible non sequitur. I wonder about confusion between the scientist who authored the research paper and the media and personal interpreters. When talking about limitations of scientific experiments, we do recognize the limitations. But we should not say that those limitations continue (possible non sequitur) to impede the scientist as a person. That does not logically follow because the human scientist has a free intellect.But is that really the realm of science? I feel like science has no place determining the spiritual value of man. God forbid the day comes when science feels it can speak with authority on the spiritual!I think they’re much more simply focusing on the biological science that they can answer. Therefore, one must accept the limitations of what science can teach us, and appreciate it for what it is.
Excellent.In short, science is science. It’s man’s best guess at the “how” of the world around us. It in no way is meant to be taken at Gospel Truth. No one should allow it to replace their religious beliefs or override them.