Being a Theistic evolutionist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnnyt3000
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive never seen conclusive proof that macro-evolution has occurred. Ive read a couple of books on the evidence which supports evolution and I’ve never seen conclusive evidence presented concerning macro-evolutuion Please PM me if you have an example of conclusive proof, not just evidence. Not just a glimpse at a fossil record. That is not proof. Id be interested to see what you are talking about. Thanks!
There are certainly fossils of creatures that have died and some species of animal is likely to die out during our lifetime, but the lack of transitional forms appears to be the issue. I looked at a photo of an insect trapped in amber. It was beautiful. Imagine having wings, legs and compound eyes. I don’t think it would have done as well if it had wings so small that it could not support itself in flight.

Peace,
Ed
 
You can observe evolution right now. How many children are genetically identical to their parents?

rossum
Oh come on brother. That’s not evidence that worms turned into humans.

but again. that also is a sort of another kind of micro-evolution. There is no absolute concrete proof of macro evolution. There is only evidence. Even the most ardent of top evolutionists would agree on this. Nobody argues that minor interspecies variation occurs. But that species turn into entire separate species can be, and is, debated
 
Hi grannymh,

Please see my responses below!
In order for a person to say that nothing in the science of human evolution contradicts Catholic doctrines, one would have to change Divine Revelation. 😦
Catholics know that a “population” did not commit Original Sin.🙂
Why? Where does evolution necessitate that human beings originated from a population and not a set of parents? And even if it does, why can’t God not select two and ensoul them? So then Adam and Eve are the first people that are our ultimate parents. Even if science concludes that there was a homo sapien population. That doesn’t mean that we didn’t still come from a single set of parents.
That bit of information about the “ancient human population” directly contradicts the Catholic doctrines regarding human origin. Not only does Catholicism teach that we come from a “set of parents” – it teaches that we come from a set consisting of the first two humans alive.Catholics know that a “population” did not commit Original Sin.🙂
Again, how does this contradict Catholic teaching? I’m still holding that we all came from a single set of parents. I’m only suggesting that evolution could scientifically explain how God created Adam and Eve.
Read it. I do not see how one has to accept the Homo/Pan split in order to believe in the basic concept of evolution. Nor do I see the relevance one way or the other to Catholic teaching.

Hopefully, that helps clarify my understanding.
 
Hi grannymh,

Please see my responses below!

Why? Where does evolution necessitate that human beings originated from a population and not a set of parents? And even if it does, why can’t God not select two and ensoul them? So then Adam and Eve are the first people that are our ultimate parents. Even if science concludes that there was a homo sapien population. That doesn’t mean that we didn’t still come from a single set of parents.
Again, how does this contradict Catholic teaching? I’m still holding that we all came from a single set of parents. I’m only suggesting that evolution could scientifically explain how God created Adam and Eve.

Read it. I do not see how one has to accept the Homo/Pan split in order to believe in the basic concept of evolution. Nor do I see the relevance one way or the other to Catholic teaching.

Hopefully, that helps clarify my understanding.
I don’t see that it contradicts Catholic dogma either. It never has to me. I was always confused by the whole science vs religion debate. I never saw a debate.
 
In order for a person to say that nothing in the science of human evolution contradicts Catholic doctrines, one would have to change Divine Revelation. 😦
Catholics know that a “population” did not commit Original Sin.🙂

You are good regarding the 1987 Eve theory. Now hold that thought.
Unfortunately, I do not have the original 1987 research paper with me, so let’s use this information from the Wikipedia article.
Studies indicate that the size of the ancient human population never dropped below tens of thousands.
That bit of information about the “ancient human population” directly contradicts the Catholic doctrines regarding human origin. Not only does Catholicism teach that we come from a “set of parents” – it teaches that we come from a set consisting of the first two humans alive. First two is definitely not the same as a population in the thousands. In addition, some interpreters, not necessarily the author of a particular research paper, like to refer to any anatomy which has some similar characteristics to the modern human anatomy as part of our ancestral human line.

Would you kindly re-read post 70? forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=11811235&postcount=70

That was the start of re-examining some of the basic principles of evolution theory. Principles are usually part of the introduction in student classes focused on the science of human evolution or in general science classes which include plants, porcupines and people’s anatomies.

Are you able to discern the difference between natural science and Catholic doctrines based on Divine Revelation? Questions are welcomed.
It is not that hard to reconcile the statements made in the Mitochondrial Eve theory and Church teaching. Simply realize that what the Mitochondrial Eve proponents call “humans” are not necessarily humans according to the Church’s definition. All scientists can say about “humans” relates to physically observable characteristics - the shape of their bones, the food they ate, the tools they used. They cannot tell if a fossil had a soul. So when they say “Studies indicate that the size of the ancient human population never dropped below tens of thousands.” we need to see those ancient populations as being comprised of a mixture of humans and pre-humans. The pre-humans that lived at the same time as Adam and Eve, although appearing in the fossil record to be the same as Adam and Eve, were in fact not human in the same sense that Adam and Eve were. They did not have an eternal soul. Only Adam and Eve did. We don’t need to discard the single pair of parents revelation. We don’t need to discard the revelation about original sin. We don’t need to discard any divine revelation in order to accept the raw scientific facts of the Mitochondrial Eve theory. Now if some people take that theory and try to draw conclusions from it that contradict Church teaching, they are departing from pure science.
 
I don’t see that it contradicts Catholic dogma either. It never has to me. I was always confused by the whole science vs religion debate. I never saw a debate.
It happens all the time and for good reason. Just asserting that God selected two almost humans and gave them souls cannot be demonstrated by science. Science cannot detect or study the soul. This idea is speculative fiction at best. But trust me, you’ll see plenty more threads like this in the future.

There is no need to pit science and religion against each other, but Divine Revelation is truth. It is something science cannot study.
  1. Two individual parents for us all.
  2. Original Sin committed by our first parents.
  3. This sin is passed on to all.
  4. Jesus Christ is born to deal with all of this if we choose to accept Him as Lord and Savior.
Science presents us with a mechanism called evolution which works entirely on its own. By definition, nothing needs to be added to this mechanism in order for it to work as commonly explained. So God/gods or other supernatural events, are unnecessary ingredients.

Peace,
Ed
 
That’s not evidence that worms turned into humans.
I did not say it was. I gave the definition of evolution upthread: “a change in the genome of a population”. As for worms into humans, you know as well as I do that there is is temporary ban here on the discussion of (macro-)evolution.
but again. that also is a sort of another kind of micro-evolution.
Micro-evolution is evolution – a change in the genome of a population.
There is no absolute concrete proof of macro evolution. There is only evidence.
Correct. Macro-evolution is part of the theory of evolution. Theories are not proved, they are only supported by evidence. This is basic science background; theories are never ever proved. All theories are provisional and can be tweaked as new evidence is found. Our theory of gravity is being tweaked as a result of the latest findings of polarisation in the CMBR.
But that species turn into entire separate species can be, and is, debated
It is indeed debated, but only one side of the debate has any scientific evidence to support it.

rossum
 
Hi grannymh,

Please see my responses below!

Why? Where does evolution necessitate that human beings originated from a population and not a set of parents? And even if it does, why can’t God not select two and ensoul them? So then Adam and Eve are the first people that are our ultimate parents. Even if science concludes that there was a homo sapien population. That doesn’t mean that we didn’t still come from a single set of parents.
Again, how does this contradict Catholic teaching? I’m still holding that we all came from a single set of parents. I’m only suggesting that evolution could scientifically explain how God created Adam and Eve.

Read it. I do not see how one has to accept the Homo/Pan split in order to believe in the basic concept of evolution. Nor do I see the relevance one way or the other to Catholic teaching.

Hopefully, that helps clarify my understanding.

Interesting reply Smichhertz. Thank you.

I will try to rephrase the current evolution population foundation.

Scientists are no longer using the “ladder” concept of evolution.

It has been replaced by the cladistics system. A cladogram depicts how evolution currently works. When learning human evolution, today’s students learn just where the Homo (human)/Pan(chimp) population exists on the evolution cladogram. This population is evolutionary known as the most recent common ancestor to both the eventual chimpanzee population and the eventual human population, not to two founders of humankind. This means that both chimps and humans came from a large population that was neither chimpanzee nor human.
Source of information. evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/_0_0/evo_07

Current evolution education emphasizes that the common ancestor homo/pan population split over time into two separate populations which, through genetic changes, formed new distinct populations which in turn, over time, developed other distinct populations until there was a population of modern human anatomies and a population of our evolutionary cousins, chimpanzees.

Even if Adam and Eve were a part of the population of modern human anatomies, current evolution theory teaches that all the modern human anatomies are equally human as Adam and Eve. Catholicism does not teach that all the equally modern human anatomies committed the one Original Sin. I believe that the principle of non-contradiction is involved.

Scientifically, the possibility of Adam and Eve does exist. But, the actual, current evolutionary theory does not accept that possibility. That public non-acceptance of an unique population of two humans (1995 research paper) is the simple reason that the current evolution theory intersects with the Catholic doctrines of human nature and subsequently contradicts them.

Practically speaking, the current evolution population theory makes one wonder which modern human anatomies are eligible for eternal joy. Catholicism confirms the unity of all humanity because all descended from two real fully-complete human founders who are specifically in the image of God.The evolutionary theory only confirms the existence of decomposing human anatomies which would have similar children but no chance at eternal joy – because they are in the “image” of the material, not spiritual, common homo/pan ancestor population which split.
 
grannymh: I believe that Adam and Eve were the first homo sapiens and were specially created by God-they did not have any Earthly pre-hominid parents that they were descended from–they were specially created by God and all current humans are descended from them.

Do you think that it was possible that Neanderthals lived when Adam and Eve lived and that they were soulless?

Do you think that it is possible that descendants of Adam and Eve mated with Neanderthals?

If they produced offspring would the offspring have souls?

I believe that some of evolution is true but I don’t buy parts of it. I do think that God created in multiple ways–he specially created Adam and Eve–many animals on the Earth could have been created by evolution–and sometimes I think God had to intervene for that evolution to work.

I have no problem believing in an Old Earth and in the special creation of Adam and Eve–I don’t believe Adam and Eve lived 6,000 years ago but they could have lived as the first homo sapiens.

As for the Garden of Eden it could be in present day Iraq but you can’t see it because it is in another dimension. If Jesus can be underneath the appearances of Bread and Wine where your eyes can’t see Him in the eucharist–then why couldn’t a similar sort of thing be true about the Garden of Eden?

Catholicism isn’t opposed to TRUE science. Science can’t explain everything. Science can’t explain the Eucharist but it is true. Science can’t explain the miracles of Jesus or the Resurrection but those things are TRUE HISTORICAL FACT!!!

I think there are answers to all the questions people have about science, evolution, the Catholic faith and how God created everything and how everything was done for our salvation. I don’t think we’ll know that until after the Final Judgement when we are with Jesus in Heaven–then we will know things clearly and not dimly and everything will make sense and we will praise God for the Great way he created everything.

I am content not be able to explain everything. I’ve never seen an actual gravity wave but I believe in gravity. I’ve never been able to catch an elemental photon of light but I believe in flashlights.

I don’t know how my memories are stored or how the trillions of cells in my body all do what they’re supposed to–when they’re supposed to–and why I continue for the time being to be alive. Who knows such things?

We can’t even created a single one cell living organism.

On the other hand I’m glad scientists always try to figure out things–that is a good thing–truth is beauty and God is both truth and beauty.

I will say one thing though–the Catholioc Church does not teach what is false. Since the Catholic Church teaches that Adam and Eve were our first parents and that all humanity are descended from them–you must believe that to be Catholic!

Catholics must believe that all the Catholic Church teaches is revealed by God.

There is no such thing as a cafeteria Catholic–you either believe all the Catholic Church teaches or you are not Catholic!

I’m sure people will get mad and might want to shoot me over that last statement but it is true.
 
All theories are provisional and can be tweaked as new evidence is found. Our theory of gravity is being tweaked as a result of the latest findings of polarisation in the CMBR.
Well, to a degree this is true. On the other hand, evolutionists tend to regard evolution not as a theory, but as a fact. How else could Richard Dawkins claim that evolution had justified the dismissal of God as a reason for anything?

Darwin himself repudiated Dawkins’ scientism when he said:

“It seems to me absurd to doubt that a man may be an ardent theist and an evolutionist.”
 
grannymh:
There is no such thing as a cafeteria Catholic–you either believe all the Catholic Church teaches or you are not Catholic!

I’m sure people will get mad and might want to shoot me over that last statement but it is true.
You are still a Catholic, but then you are committing the sin of heresy.

What is so disheartening about cafeteria Catholics is that they think they are just as good as Catholics obedient to the teachings of the Church.

Even an excommunicated Catholic is still a Catholic … just not a good one.

Though an avowed enemy of the Church, even Hitler was Confirmed a Catholic in his youth and could have gone to confession before he died.
 
On the other hand, evolutionists tend to regard evolution not as a theory, but as a fact.
Evolution is both fact and theory. The theory explains the facts, just as the theory of gravity explains the facts of gravity.

rossum
 
I don’t see that it contradicts Catholic dogma either. It never has to me. I was always confused by the whole science vs religion debate. I never saw a debate.
Please see post 88.

As I came to the end…

Out of the blue, it occurred to me that it is publically obvious that the current science of human evolution flat out denies the possibility of two sole real fully-complete human founders of the human species. That, in itself, is certainly a contradiction to the Catholic doctrine of monogenism.

Back in post 68, I asked
Would a theistic evolutionist accept as true, the Catholic doctrine that the human species was founded by two, sole, real, fully-complete human parents?

Interestingly, no one replied yes.
 
Back in post 68, I asked
Would a theistic evolutionist accept as true, the Catholic doctrine that the human species was founded by two, sole, real, fully-complete human parents?

Interestingly, no one replied yes.
Perhaps because no one knows what a theistic evolutionist is, well enough to claim to speak for them. But I think it is clear there are several in this thread who claim to believe in evolution of the human body from lower forms of life and who also accept as true, the doctrine that the human species was founded by two, sole, real, fully-complete human parents. Those people just don’t know if the label “theistic evolutionist” applies to them, which is why they did not answer your direct question.
 
Evolution is both fact and theory. The theory explains the facts, just as the theory of gravity explains the facts of gravity.
You are confused. A notion cannot be both a fact and a theory. 😉

A theory can be supported by facts. But it cannot be a fact. If that were so, it would not be possible to change the theory to fit new facts that alter the theory.

This is why abiogenesis is perceived by evolutionists to be a thorn in their side.

There is no fact that supports abiogenesis as part of an evolutionary process. It can’t be an evolutionary process, for the simple reason that there is nothing that could evolve into the first living organism.

We have been over all this before in other threads. Do you really have the stomach to go through it again? :confused:🤷
 
This is why abiogenesis is perceived by evolutionists to be a thorn in their side.

There is no fact that supports abiogenesis as part of an evolutionary process. It can’t be an evolutionary process, for the simple reason that there is nothing that could evolve into the first living organism. other threads.
Abiogenesis is no thorn in anybody’s side. Evolution is only a theory about how life evolves from other life. It does not need to explain how the first life evolved any more than it needs to explain the big bang. Those are topics that are simply outside of the scope of evolution.
 
grannymh: I believe that Adam and Eve were the first homo sapiens and were specially created by God-they did not have any Earthly pre-hominid parents that they were descended from–they were specially created by God and all current humans are descended from them.

Do you think that it was possible that Neanderthals lived when Adam and Eve lived and that they were soulless?

Do you think that it is possible that descendants of Adam and Eve mated with Neanderthals?

If they produced offspring would the offspring have souls?
These are valid questions. Here is one source of answers.

Bonnette, Dennis. “Monogenism and Polygenism.” New Catholic Encyclopedia Supplement 2012-2013: Ethics and Philosophy. Ed. Robert L. Fastiggi. Vol. 3. Detroit: Gale, 2013. 1013-1016. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 20 June 2013.

In addition, one will find updated science and Catholic philosophy/theology in the appendix to the third edition of *Origin of the Human Species *by Dr. Dennis Bonnette. This book is in the printing process and will soon be available to the reading public.

In the meantime, one can check Dr. Bonnette’s website for information about the intersection of the science of human evolution and the Catholic Faith.
drbonnette.com/
I believe that some of evolution is true but I don’t buy parts of it. I do think that God created in multiple ways–he specially created Adam and Eve–many animals on the Earth could have been created by evolution–and sometimes I think God had to intervene for that evolution to work.

I have no problem believing in an Old Earth and in the special creation of Adam and Eve–I don’t believe Adam and Eve lived 6,000 years ago but they could have lived as the first homo sapiens.

As for the Garden of Eden it could be in present day Iraq but you can’t see it because it is in another dimension. If Jesus can be underneath the appearances of Bread and Wine where your eyes can’t see Him in the eucharist–then why couldn’t a similar sort of thing be true about the Garden of Eden?

Catholicism isn’t opposed to TRUE science. Science can’t explain everything. Science can’t explain the Eucharist but it is true. Science can’t explain the miracles of Jesus or the Resurrection but those things are TRUE HISTORICAL FACT!!!

I think there are answers to all the questions people have about science, evolution, the Catholic faith and how God created everything and how everything was done for our salvation. I don’t think we’ll know that until after the Final Judgement when we are with Jesus in Heaven–then we will know things clearly and not dimly and everything will make sense and we will praise God for the Great way he created everything.

I am content not be able to explain everything. I’ve never seen an actual gravity wave but I believe in gravity. I’ve never been able to catch an elemental photon of light but I believe in flashlights.

I don’t know how my memories are stored or how the trillions of cells in my body all do what they’re supposed to–when they’re supposed to–and why I continue for the time being to be alive. Who knows such things?

We can’t even created a single one cell living organism.

On the other hand I’m glad scientists always try to figure out things–that is a good thing–truth is beauty and God is both truth and beauty.

I will say one thing though–the Catholioc Church does not teach what is false. Since the Catholic Church teaches that Adam and Eve were our first parents and that all humanity are descended from them–you must believe that to be Catholic!

Catholics must believe that all the Catholic Church teaches is revealed by God.

There is no such thing as a cafeteria Catholic–you either believe all the Catholic Church teaches or you are not Catholic!

I’m sure people will get mad and might want to shoot me over that last statement but it is true.
👍
 
You are confused. A notion cannot be both a fact and a theory.
Correct. The English language is here using one word to describe two notions: evolution-as-fact and evolution-as-theory. In just the same way, “gravity” can mean gravity-as-fact and gravity-as-theory. The fault here is with the structure of the English language.
A theory can be supported by facts. But it cannot be a fact. If that were so, it would not be possible to change the theory to fit new facts that alter the theory.
Correct. The theory of gravity is being amended as we speak due to the new facts about inflation recently discovered. The theory of evolution is always being amended to account for new facts of evolution as they are discovered.
This is why abiogenesis is perceived by evolutionists to be a thorn in their side.
No, it is not. Remember that Darwin called his book, “On the Origin of Species”. He did not call it “On the Origin of Life”. Abiogenesis is outside evolution, and has a lot more to do with chemistry. Evolution deals with changes in living populations. Abiogenesis deals with the origin of the first living population. Abiogenesis is no more a “thorn in the side” of evolution than stellar nucleosynthesis is a “thorn in the side” of chemistry. Abiogenesis explains the origin of material life. Stellar nucleosynthesis explains the origin of chemicals. In both cases the origin is separated off into a different field of science.
There is no fact that supports abiogenesis as part of an evolutionary process. It can’t be an evolutionary process, for the simple reason that there is nothing that could evolve into the first living organism.
Correct. That is why abiogenesis is a separate subject, and one which involves a lot more pure chemistry than evolution. Currently the major problem with abiogenesis is the relative scarcity of facts and an oversupply of hypotheses. We have not yet arrived at an overall theory.

rossum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top