Beth Moore Ministries?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cat

I hope it’s ok that I started a new thread. I could have put this on the Joyce Meyer thread, but I think it can be confusing when we start talking about different people.

I heard Beth Moore speak a few weeks ago at a conference in Colorado Springs. I had been invited by a childhood friend, who is very supportive of my conversion to Catholicism. She raved about Beth Moore.

I looked her up on Google, and found that she is a Southern Baptist speaker. The Statement of Faith of her organization was quite encouraging, as she does not include a “Bible is the Sole Source of Authority” point. (A LOT of Protestant organizations have this statement in their written Statements of Faith, which Catholics cannot accept. This makes it impossible for Catholics to become part of these organizations, other than a sidelines involvement.)

Her speciality is written Bible studies, meant to be done in small groups. The studies take several months to complete, and involve about a half hour of reading and study every day between weekly group meetings. My friend has led several “Beth Moore Bible Studies.”

Beth Moore ministers solely to WOMEN. Although some men attend her Conferences, she makes it clear at the beginning of her conferences that she is not a teacher to men, that they are welcome, but that it is women that she is teaching. She does reference the Bible teachings about “being in authority over men,” and says she is NOT called to be in authority over men or teach them. (There were probably less than twenty men at her Colorado Springs conference, and about 8000 women.)

She also claims that women of all Christian faiths and denominations attend her workshops. My friend told me the same thing; apparently my friend saw one conference where Ms. Moore had a circle of women up on the stage, all from different denominations, including Catholic. The point was, we’re all sisters in Christ.

Well, all that sounded pretty good to me. I went to the Conference with great hopes, anticipating a good Bible teacher with a “universal” outlook on Christianity.

I was extremely disappointed. And when I got home and had a chance to meditate more on what the woman taught, I felt that it was actually opposed to Catholic teaching. Actually, I felt that it was just plain incorrect, even for Protestants. And very, very shallow compared to the teachings I have been drinking up in the Catholic Church.

I looked up the Bible passages that she had used at her conference. According to the comments in my New American Bible (I love the comments in NAB!), Beth Moore was way off on her interpretation of the various Bible passages.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of this woman, or opinions about her ministry? Apparently she is quite up and coming; forty-three thousand women listened to her Colorado Springs conference via live satellite.

(If anyone is interested, I could write up a short outline of her Colorado Springs teachings.)

Thanks.

Always interested, post some of the things that disturb you about her teachings. However, you will nearly always find the protestant evangelists shallow in comparison to Catholic teachings because it is indeed incomplete and all the “pieces” do not fit. The more you know of your faith, the more clearly this becomes evident in what you hear and experience!

Catholic in Alabama Bible Belt

My prayers go out to you, a Catholic in 'Bama. I never heard the word “Papist” until I watched the movie “Mississippi Burning”, but apparently in the South, thats the name for Catholics.

I suppose the word didn’t get to the majority of them that Constantine leaglized Christianity.

Take care, and keep up the faith Mary.

I have attended one Beth Moore Bible Study (in my husband’s church). Most of the women loved it, but I thought it was just so-so…I didn’t sign up for the next one, and didn’t attend the Beth More Conference held nearby…

Have you heard of Ann Graham Lotz? She is the second daughter of Billy Graham, and though she is not a “minister”, Dr. Graham calls her “the best preacher in the familiy”…I have also done one of her Bible Studies…I found her method of study to be a bit awkward, but did enjoy hearing her speak on the videos that were provided. I’d have to look more closely at her theological views to relly comment on them, though. He views are distinctly Protestant, of course, but I did enjoy listening to her, as she has the same way of speaking as her father.

I have used Beth Moore books in “non-denominational” Christian women’s Bible studies. She also spoke locally and many of the women attended but I did not. Like many of the authors of these Bible studies, she has little or no theological training. I find her books are long on platitudes and short on “Bible”.

I am Catholic and began attending this non-denominational Christian women’s Bible study at the invitation of my friends. I was curious and have been spurred, by my questions, to learn more about my faith and other Protestant faiths. My sense is that this is a curiously Protestant (evangelical, fundamentalist) phenomenon to have these women’s Bible study groups. It also seems that Beth Moore like Joyce Meyer are really more Christian motivational speakers rather than preachers. Or maybe they are the same thing. I always thought a preacher was a minister and had some formal theological training, but maybe I am wrong.

<<<My sense is that this is a curiously Protestant (evangelical, fundamentalist) phenomenon to have these women’s Bible study groups>>>

**I think you are right about this. My husband’s church (CCM) has two or three "woman’s Bible Studies going on all the time. They seem to use Beth Moor and maybe Ann Graham Lotz (Billy Graham’s daughter), plus some other materiels. **

The interesting thing is that in this church woman teach only other woman…As far as I can see. It is men who are in charge of the adult Sunday School classes…Called Adult Bible Fellowships, or ABF’s. Curious…Women do children and other women, but not men and women together…

40.png
Xenon-135:
My prayers go out to you, a Catholic in 'Bama. I never heard the word “Papist” until I watched the movie “Mississippi Burning”, but apparently in the South, thats the name for Catholics.
???

I’ve lived in Alabama now for over two years, and have visited here a lot before that, and I’ve never heard the word “papist” used about Catholics down here. In fact, in all my almost 58 years, most of which have been spent in very fundamentalist Protestant churches, I have never heard the word “papist” as a spoken word. My only contact with that word has been in Protestant Bible commentaries written in the 18th and 19th centuries.

DaveBj

I was a Protestant for 43 years, and never heard that word, either…Only read it in very old books.

I attended a women’s Bible Study in which we went through a Beth Moore book. I was a Protestant at the time, but I didn’t find anything unBiblical about it (although I wasn’t on the lookout for content that would contradict Catholic theology). What was it, specifically, Cat, that you objected to?

Bible studies are an awesome way to really learn the Scriptures. I also think it is very important for women to get together to discuss issues in their spiritual growth. In another thread on this site, people are discussing the positive things Catholics can learn from Protestants. Many people have commented on Protestants’ knowledge and memorization of scripture. This is how they do it, people! All Christians should know the Word inside and out.

Do any of you ladies have a Magnificat(Ministry for Catholic Women) chapter in your area? Around here, there are several parishes where they offer bible study & prayer groups.

I have never heard of this, but would love to find a group. Will try looking it up on the net. Thanks.

I attended one of Beth Moore’s Bible Studies about a year ago at a local Baptist Church where they have a huge women’s outreach, and lots of women’s stuff going on.

I really enjoyed it, and the ladies I met. However, I do think she is a little too severe for my taste, too hyper, too motivational, and really not at all intellectual or very deep. It’s the same ol appeal through emotion type of Protestant mentality going on. EEEWWW

I think at this point in my life, as a Catholic convert almost, I need something deeper and less emotion based. I’m sure many can relate.

Hi–I do have to say I love Beth Moore. I agree with Petra on the importance of learning the Bible–St. Jerome said, “Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ.” I’m a new convert, from the Presbyterian Church USA (mainline), but studied with a Baptist women’s ministry for a couple of years. I have an amazing story, really, of how God led me to the Catholic Faith, and to the Eucharist (which I’d never heard of before, outside of just generally thinking you all had pretty much the same thing we had in the Lord’s Supper, more or less).

Anyway, it was Beth Moore’s study on the Beloved Disciple that opened the Scriptures to me about Revelation, the wedding supper of the Lamb, etc. Within months after that, I found myself a Catholic! It was really a work of God’s grace, though–because somehow Beth doesn’t see it, and that just amazes me. People can look right at it–but we didn’t see it. We had no idea Jesus is in a tabernacle in every Catholic Church–I’d never heard of it in 50 years of living.

Beth’s study on St. John’s writings reminded me in many ways of Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper, which I discovered later. I have to say I find her studies very in-depth and thorough. She’s a very humble person–don’t let her evangelical, “loud-mouth Texas woman” style fool you (I can say that, because I’m a Texan, too–maybe sometimes a little loud, myself. Of course, we think that’s a good thing 😉 j/k!)–it took me awhile to get used to her, but now I love her. I believe she’s the real thing–not an act, a very real, warm person. She loves women so much and loves the Lord completely. She came from a background of abuse, so she relates well to women’s needs. She knows she’s not a theologian–and always prays a lot and consults with a minister to be sure she doesn’t mislead people (that’s the best she can do, as a Protestant, after all).

Part of my problem was, before I took these studies, I had preconceived negative emotions about evangelical Christians. However, I’ve found them to have great Biblical knowledge and what was refreshing to me, they believe the Bible is inspired by God, as Catholics do, or should…so many mainline protestants and Catholics I’ve run across have bought the whole historical-critical view that Jesus didn’t really say this or that, etc. It’s not so much that I object to sincere scholarship, but so often these statements come from a history of scholarship that is openly hostile to the Christian faith.

Anyway, surprisingly, the studies I went to at the Baptist church do look at context and symbolism. The big problem–there is so much anti-Catholicism–I think half the congregation was “raised Catholic but is now a Christian” …aaarghh! These are sincere sentiments, held out of belief and not hostility in most cases. It’s so sad, though–I just can’t attend anymore–it hurts too much to have this incredible testimony and love for the Eucharistic Lord and not be able to get it across. I still study Beth Moore studies on my own, though. I pray for her to discover the Eucharist. She is so close.

Have you heard of Christ Renews His Parish (CRHP)? I just made a weekend retreat, and it’s so wonderful–thoroughly Catholic, totally Marian, and yet stressed the work of the Holy Spirit, and lots of Scripture. It’s a renewal movement that has restored my optimism. I had missed so much of my Protestant background when I joined the Catholic Church, and found so much dissenting theology there too, etc. I let people depress me, and took my focus off Christ. I’ll never give up the Eucharist; I’ll never leave the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church–it’s my life.
God bless!
(Just thought I’d put my 2 cents worth in–Beth Moore had such an impact on my conversion, even though she doesn’t realize it!)
–Donna

40.png
sparkle:
However, I do think she is a little too severe for my taste, too hyper, too motivational, and really not at all intellectual or very deep. It’s the same ol appeal through emotion type of Protestant mentality going on. EEEWWW
i have seen this comment many times in these forums and i have to say a few things about it…

first, to assume that all protestants do not use intellect is to show that some one doesn’t know much about protestants (i know you are a convert but it seems like you stayed around the same type of people your entire time as a protestant. and please don’t think i am promoting protestantism as i am on the same journey towards catholicism).

second, what is wrong with an emotional appeal. yes, emotions fade, but that does not mean they are a bad source of motivation. emotions are what triggers our minds into action. i think some folks in here need to be less “vulcan-like” (okay…i love star trek 😃 ) and embrace emotions as well as logic.

i am not trying to attack anyone (especially sparkle) i just felt the need to address this attack on protestants that can just as easily be turned around on catholics (go to mexico for example and see how uneducated many catholics there are about their faith but if you say something against our lady of guadalupe they just might kill you. if that’s not a faith based on emotion i don’t know what is. i’m not saying it’s bad, it’s what keeps them keeping the faith.)

beth moore has been a great motivation to many women. yes, we must always be on guard for false teachings, but remember that she is a christian who has a desire to see women embrace and live their faith. to compare her to joyce meyers (a christian yes, but way off in her motivations for people, i.e. God wants you to be rich) is not fair. her bible studies are at the mercy of those running them. yes, it would be wonderful to have more catholic organizations that do the wonderful things protestant ones have been doing. maybe some folks on these threads should stop criticizing our protestant brothers and sisters and go start one of these in their parish (i know there are many on here who are doing this and praise the Lord they are, but i also think there are many who just like to criticize…again this isn’t an attack on anyone particular as i can’t judge anyone)

I went through Beth Moore’s study called: Breaking Free. I consider myself a solid Catholic and had no problems with her study. It was more of a self help study, but I would recommend it for woman who are trying to stop negative cycles in their lives. She used the scripture from when Moses got the ten commandments and it talked about sins being passed down from generation to generation. (i.e. like a friend of mine that has a history of verbal abuse on her mom’s side…passed from mother to daughter) This study talks about breaking those cycles.

In fact, one of the ideas she had in the study was to create a little book of scripture that deals with your situation. I made one at the time and when ever I needed, I would pull this little notebook out of my pocket and read scripture that would encourage and give me hope. Kinda like one of the those boxes you open and the sound of cheering comes out…except these are God’s promises to you.

Anyway, I have only done that one study. No, it’s not something if you want strickly academics (which I love), but if you want something on a more day to day level that study is really good. They do take about 9 or 10 weeks to finish.

I haven’t run into one yet that has any meat… all nice chat, but nothing that speaks to me like the mass… 👍

Ahh…but it took the “opening of Scripture”–the study of John while I was still a Protestant–to really help me appreciate what was happening in Mass…Mass itself was my encounter with Jesus…my conversion was really a road to Emmaus experience–I grew in love of the Lord through the word of God (Scripture), and then he truly was made known to me in the breaking of bread. Really, it was that dramatic. I went to Mass a couple of times (only the second or third time I’d ever been in a Catholic church), they rang that little bell, and pretty much, after that, “that’s all she wrote”…

So, I see what you mean about the Mass being everything and all that’s needed…and yet, without God priming the pump in Scripture, would I have noticed? I don’t know…

It’s hard to discern truth. Really hard among protestant beliefs, which are so different. I’ve had to learn to look beyond surface appearances; sometimes we’re just as guilty as our protestant brothers and sisters who might look at me during Mass and say I’m doing some rote ritual, and not really devoted to the Lord…based on appeance, ignoring the fireworks going on inside my heart!

So…there are those who promote false doctrine–prosperity gospel, etc., but there are those who speak truth, whose personal style may sound just like the other sort…it is hard to tell. So far, I feel Beth is sound–but then, I have to be really careful…I’m a new Catholic, and haven’t really been through one of her studies since my conversion. I do want to study Scripture, though, so I’m going to study her (on my own, or with other Catholics–so far, can’t handle anti-Catholic thoughtless remarks–the person who said she’s at the mercy of those conducting the studies is right)–I also would like to check out the Magnificat someone mentioned–sounds great! Christ Renews His Parish also sounds like a terrific Catholic renewal movement.

One does have to be careful in taking Protestant-based studies; just sort out what doesn’t square with truth. In Beloved Disciple, the study that so influenced my conversion, Beth spends part of the last lesson talking about how important it is to know the date of your salvation–and how God wants us to know we’re saved, etc. Classic Baptist “eternal security.” I don’t hold it against her–it’s their belief. However, I just let that roll off my back–I didn’t grow up with that belief–in my Presbyterian church we weren’t taught that–neither are Episcopalians or Lutherans–all sacramental churches. So there are wide differences. There is no one category called “Protestant.”

So sorry for all the posts! There’s a word limit here–and I guess I talk too much. 🙂 This topic is near and dear to my heart…

(Just thought I’d put my 2 cents worth in–Beth Moore had such an impact on my conversion, even though she doesn’t realize it!)
–DonnaDonna- I think you should write to Beth Moore and give her the good news of your conversion! Write where her writings inspired you and how they correlate with Catholic teachings. You never know - God may wish to use you to bring her home! God Bless you, Donna, and WELCOME HOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back