Biblical perspective of rewards

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
. But those who receive the Spirit must sow to the Spirit in order to reap eternal life in the age to come. We sow to the Spirit by doing good.
Romans 8:9 (New International Version)
9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
 
The faith/works thing certain Protestants like to whine about all the time is just a pointless “chicken/egg” debate… Your works are NOT the source of your salvation, and this is what Catholics believe, but on the other hand works are evident in those who truly believe. In other words, doing nothing but sitting around tooting your own horn about how “saved” you are by itself is useless as a reliable indicator of being in God’s grace. You’re trying to separate two sides of the same coin.
This would be more of a salvation vs salvation and rewards, not a faith works argument.
 
Myfavoritemartian asks
So if we are truly born of the spirit, Holy spirit indwelling in us how can what we do not be acceptable to God? afterall, God dwells in us via the Holy spirit.
Because we never give up our free will. We can reject the grace [gift] of salvation and turn away from God at any time, even if we have been baptized and born again or 'accepted Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior"

By your theology, we would never sin once we have been ‘saved’ but that is clearly not the case. We still struggle with temptation and sin. That is the perserverance that St… Paul discusses at great length. That is what he is speaking of when he speaks of the possiblity that he might ‘loose’ his salvation. Jesus said that many would call upon him “Lord, Lord” but only a few would be acknowledged.

Scritpure does not promise easy salvation, but a daily “picking up” of our cross. We are to train so that we may “run the race” with God’s grace.
 
Romans 8:9 (New International Version)
9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
And yet a Christian can freely resist the promptings of the Spirit. This is evidenced by the fact that even after we receive the Spirit, we sin. Obvioulsy, it is not the Spirit in us that causes us to sin. After we receive the Spirit, we do not become automatons, automatically doing what is good. We can resist the Spirit and do what is not good. That’s called grieving the Spirit.

See also 1 Peter 1:5-9. Doing good does not come automatically. It involves effort.

**For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. **

God Bless,
Michael
 
Hi,

Do the catholics here believe those who make it to heaven will get rewards or do you think getting to heaven is the reward?
Well, there are many rooms in the Father’s Mansion…

And the 12 seats (for the 12 Apostles) are seated close to the Lord.

And the Seraphim, who sing Holy, Holy, Holy for all ages are described at the “hottest” and nearest God…

I think also that short people, like Mother Theresa will be given a spot up front.:rolleyes:

Really, though, we will each receive our just reward, not equal reward.
 
And yet a Christian can freely resist the promptings of the Spirit. This is evidenced by the fact that even after we receive the Spirit, we sin. Obvioulsy, it is not the Spirit in us that causes us to sin. After we receive the Spirit, we do not become automatons, automatically doing what is good. We can resist the Spirit and do what is not good. That’s called grieving the Spirit.

God Bless,
Michael
Hey Mike,
That sounds like an evangelical answer:thumbsup: Maybe we are wearing off on you;)
 
Hey Mike,
That sounds like an evangelical answer:thumbsup: Maybe we are wearing off on you;)
The ability to resist the spirit once you’re “saved” doesn’t sound like something any evangelical I’ve ever heard would admit. At least not right away…
 
The ability to resist the spirit once you’re “saved” doesn’t sound like something any evangelical I’ve ever heard would admit. At least not right away…
Then you haven’t hung around enough different kinds of evangelicals.

Do you live in the South by any chance?

Evangelicals of a Wesleyan or Anabaptist bent would not just admit, but insist on the fact that we can always choose to resist the Spirit as long as we are in this life. So would “Restorationists” (Christian Churches/Churches of Christ). These aren’t the only ones. Basically “eternal security” is a Baptist corruption of the Calvinist doctrine of perseverance. But Baptists dominate evangelicalism in much of the U.S., especially the South, and many other evangelicals are basically Baptist in theology.

In Christ,

Edwin
 
The ability to resist the spirit once you’re “saved” doesn’t sound like something any evangelical I’ve ever heard would admit. At least not right away…
Oh No we would admit that 😦 We were just talking about it in bible study yesterday. I dont personally know any evangelical/born again christian that thinks they would never sin again or that it is impossible for them to grieve the Holy Spirit. We believe that inside of us is a constant life long struggle between our flesh(sinful nature/old nature) and the Holy Spirit. Sadly we do choose to side with the sinful nature thus confession. Thank God He gave us a way out:thumbsup:
 
You’re right, though Edwin. That was my bad - I’m loosely interchanging the words “evangelical” and “fundamentalist” there I guess. In the South that really is a common presumption, and I guess it snuck up on me there…
 
Hey Mike,
That sounds like an evangelical answer:thumbsup: Maybe we are wearing off on you;)
Oh woe is me!!! :crying: I’ll have to sit and watch EWTN for the next 48 hours in order to remove this affliction. 😃

God Bless,
Michael
 
As opposed to “my pastor says…”? :rolleyes:
Hi,
You know it is funny you should say that. I thought about that comment and wondered if I do that. I do refer to his sermons. But when I say it I say My Pastor talked about this today. I have never(to date) thought that just because he said it it must be true. When he says stuff I have never heard before I go and look it up in the bible. So while I might say he said something, I dont necessarily take his word for it. I go to the source and check out what God says about it. If my pastor lines up with the bible then I believe him to be telling me the truth. So far I have not encountered him to be wrong biblically speaking of course.👍
 
Oh woe is me!!! :crying: I’ll have to sit and watch EWTN for the next 48 hours in order to remove this affliction. 😃

God Bless,
Michael
LOL yeah complain all you want, at least you GET EWTN! 😛

All I get right now at my house is public air stations in the “Bible Belt”. No lack of religious programming on there, however it’s a little different…
 
Oh woe is me!!! :crying: I’ll have to sit and watch EWTN for the next 48 hours in order to remove this affliction. 😃

God Bless,
Michael
Mike I watch ewtn ad nauseum. I don’t think that is the answer.🙂
 
LOL yeah complain all you want, at least you GET EWTN! 😛

All I get right now at my house is public air stations in the “Bible Belt”. No lack of religious programming on there, however it’s a little different…
And I thought I had it bad. 😦 How do you manage to survive under those conditions? How do you keep yourself free from the influence of the ones that shall remain nameless?

God Bless,
Michael
 
And I thought I had it bad. 😦 How do you manage to survive under those conditions? How do you keep yourself free from the influence of the ones that shall remain nameless?

God Bless,
Michael
Hi,

Mike just relax and give in to the Holy Spirit and become one with us.😃 :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sorry I just couldnt resist.
You know every time I turn on EWTN to watch what you guys are talking about it is not what it says it is on the listing. It is always Bill Graham or another Protestant minister. Maybe God is trying to protect me from the influences(shall remain nameless:p )😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top