Biblical perspective of rewards

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
You know it is funny you should say that. I thought about that comment and wondered if I do that. I do refer to his sermons. But when I say it I say My Pastor talked about this today. I have never(to date) thought that just because he said it it must be true. When he says stuff I have never heard before I go and look it up in the bible. So while I might say he said something, I dont necessarily take his word for it. I go to the source and check out what God says about it. If my pastor lines up with the bible then I believe him to be telling me the truth. So far I have not encountered him to be wrong biblically speaking of course.👍
Where is the faith in that? Respectfully , Tim
 
Where is the faith in that? Respectfully , Tim
Im sorry I dont get what you are saying:confused: Do you mean I should have faith in my minister? My faith lies completely and totally with God and His promises. Is that wrong?
 
Im sorry I dont get what you are saying:confused: Do you mean I should have faith in my minister? My faith lies completely and totally with God and His promises. Is that wrong?
I just think that the Lord does put people in our lives for a purpose. Do you have faith that the Lord has put your pastor in your life to lead you to Him?
 
I just think that the Lord does put people in our lives for a purpose. Do you have faith that the Lord has put your pastor in your life to lead you to Him?
Hi,

Well I have faith that my minister teaches me the biblical truth.👍 I was lead to the Lord when I was at a different church.👍
I agree ,the Lord does put people in our lives. I can actually count a bunch that were jumping for joy when I finally accepted Christ. They were like YEAH she finally GETS IT!!They thought it would never happen because I was so obstinate.😦 Miracles happen;)
 
I just think that the Lord does put people in our lives for a purpose. Do you have faith that the Lord has put your pastor in your life to lead you to Him?
Ministers are like a counselor or a consultant. We are called to the Lord…But to have good solid christian leaders around doesn’t hurt, but as allforhim said, we must check what even they preach against the word of God.
 
Hi,

Well I have faith that my minister teaches me the biblical truth.👍 I was lead to the Lord when I was at a different church.👍
I agree ,the Lord does put people in our lives. I can actually count a bunch that were jumping for joy when I finally accepted Christ. They were like YEAH she finally GETS IT!!They thought it would never happen because I was so obstinate.😦 Miracles happen;)
I guess that I feel we are constantly being lead until death, not that there is one point where we have found Him. I’ve felt the Spirit profoundly, but I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface. Tim
 
For me , the Mass is the word of God and the homily is how to apply it. Sorry for the hijack, Tim
 
I guess that I feel we are constantly being lead until death, not that there is one point where we have found Him. I’ve felt the Spirit profoundly, but I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface. Tim
Me too:thumbsup:
 
Jane,
Later in that same chapter you’ll see that the physicallness of what was previously written disappears in that it shows that the work is all done in the heart by the spirit, so how can you say that our efforts directly effect our eternal life.
Simon, like Edwin, I am not sure what you are talking about here.

Could you please ellaborate on the “physicallness of what was previously written”?
28A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man’s praise is not from men, but from God.
I understand that you are wanting to use this passage as an example of a saving faith without meritorious works, but I think your exegesis here is faulty.

First, the text is pertaining to judgement according to the Mosaic Law. I suppose this may be the previously written physical-ness to which you are referring. However, a more accurate understanding of this passage reveals a distinction between acceptance of the Gentile who has faith in spite of his lack of circumcision and acceptance of the Jew who practices circumcision as an act of faith. This is a cultural distinction, not a text disproving the necessity of works.

I am concerned by your interpretation of this passage as I think it indicates your acceptance of a gospel other than that of Jesus Christ.

Our Lord, came in the Flesh to redeem us entirely. He came to make our humanity–spirit and flesh–holy. He came to save us body and soul. This is what we mean when we refer to the resurrection of the body, after all! The physical is not unimportant, for it was a Body that carried the Cross. To deny that our behavior, the work of our bodies, is important is to deny the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ who tells us plainly, “anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:38).

Jesus tells us that our work, our carrying of the cross, merits something. He tells us that our carrying of the cross is actually worth something. He tells us that our carrying of the cross makes can make us worthy of Him. He is salvation.
 
Jesus tells us that our work, our carrying of the cross, merits something.
Hi yes I agree and we will be rewarded for the works we do for His glory. The works we do for our glory will be burned up.
He tells us that our carrying of the cross is actually worth something. He tells us that our carrying of the cross makes can make us worthy of Him.
Absolutely but not until after salvation:thumbsup: He is salvation.
 
Our Lord, came in the Flesh to redeem us entirely. He came to make our humanity–spirit and flesh–holy. He came to save us body and soul. This is what we mean when we refer to the resurrection of the body, after all! The physical is not unimportant, for it was a Body that carried the Cross. To deny that our behavior, the work of our bodies, is important is to deny the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ who tells us plainly, “anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:38).

Jesus tells us that our work, our carrying of the cross, merits something. He tells us that our carrying of the cross is actually worth something. He tells us that our carrying of the cross makes can make us worthy of Him. He is salvation.
If it came across that I denied the importance of work I apologize. I obviously have a different understanding of their effect on salvation. There is nothing you’ve stated here that I deny. I may be struggling to get to my point and actually wish I would have left that 2nd line out of the post, for it has caused issue with the points I was trying to discuss, my intention was really to speak of the heavenly rewards for being a true follower of Christ!
 
If it came across that I denied the importance of work I apologize. I obviously have a different understanding of their effect on salvation.
I did not understand that you were denying the importance of works.

Instead, I was concerned about your position that works are unnecessary towards salvation. The Catholic position, if I may so bold, is based on an understanding that faith and works are inextricably necessary towards the salvation of our souls. Faith and works are both gifts. Faith is not of ourselves. It is a gift. And meritorious works are nothing for us to boast about. They are gifts. They are both necessary for us to accept the ultimate gift of salvation in Jesus Christ.
There is nothing you’ve stated here that I deny.
Then our theology may not be as different as we would presume.
 
Romans 8:9 (New International Version)
9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
DOUAY-RHEIMS
Romans 8:7-
7 Because the wisdom of the flesh is the enemy to God.For it is not subject to the law of God: Neither can it be.
8 And they that are in the flesh can not please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any many have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body indeed is dead, because of sin: but the spirit liveth, because of justification.
11 And if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you; he that raised up Jesus Christ from the dead shall quicken also your mortal bodies, because of his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh to live according to the flesh.
13 For if you live according to the flesh, you shall die: but if by the Spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live.
As I have found with most Protestants you use a verse here and there out of context. No one verse stands alone. Just as faith does not stand alone but is tandem to works. They can not be separated if we desire to enter the Kingdom of God.
 
The ability to resist the spirit once you’re “saved” doesn’t sound like something any evangelical I’ve ever heard would admit. At least not right away…
Most of the evangelicals that I have met would say that the person grieving the Holy Spirit never were “saved” in the first place.:confused:

The Catholics I know will tell you you can grieve the Spirit with your freewill decisions.
 
Most of the evangelicals that I have met would say that the person grieving the Holy Spirit never were “saved” in the first place.:confused:

The Catholics I know will tell you you can grieve the Spirit with your freewill decisions.
Thats funny because all the evangelicals I know say we do grieve the Holy Spirit by our free will choices(which are sinful of course).
 
LOL yeah complain all you want, at least you GET EWTN! 😛

All I get right now at my house is public air stations in the “Bible Belt”. No lack of religious programming on there, however it’s a little different…
I know what you mean. In order to see Catholic Family Land on TV we have to subscribe to Sky Angel. 99% Evangelical for the most part. EWTN is “grouped” with some adult junk we don’t like in the house but we block what we don’t want. Still we end up paying those stations we don’t want. :mad:
 
You guys fail to recognize that a Christian WILL persevere. A Christian WILL do good works. Works come after. If you think you can do works in order to GET saved, may I humbly suggest you repent and get saved. God bless.
Sounds like trying to buy rewards in heaven and justifying their own works. That’s just me though.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
As I have found with most Protestants you use a verse here and there out of context. No one verse stands alone. Just as faith does not stand alone but is tandem to works. They can not be separated if we desire to enter the Kingdom of God.
I say this with all honesty, nothing personal, but …

DITTO!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top