Biden Victory Brings Sighs of Relief Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motherwit

For a world that held its breath as Americans went to the polls last Tuesday, the triumph of Joseph R. Biden Jr. over President Trump provoked many emotions, but above all, a profound sigh of relief.

As news of Mr. Biden’s victory reverberated from Europe and the Middle East to Asia and Latin America on Saturday, foreign leaders showered him with congratulations. Diplomats and commentators expressed gratitude, satisfaction and even jubilation that a new president would bring a much-needed return to normalcy — something that vanished alarmingly the day Mr. Trump took office.

“Welcome back America!” the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, said in a Twitter message to Mr. Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, hailing Canada’s historic friendship with the United States, said, “I’m really looking forward to working together.” President Emmanuel Macron of France said, “We have a lot to do to overcome today’s challenges. Let’s work together!” Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany declared, “Our trans-Atlantic friendship is irreplaceable, if we want to overcome the great challenges of our time.”

For many world leaders, the importance of this election was as much about removing Mr. Trump as ushering in Mr. Biden.

The former vice president is a familiar fixture on the global stage, a centrist Democrat who is likely to restore the traditional habits and methods of American power abroad. Mr. Trump, who held no office before the presidency, has been a great disrupter, leaving alliances in tatters and casting into doubt the liberal international order that the United States helped build after World War II.

“I feel optimistic for the first time in quite a long time,” said Simon Fraser, a former head of Britain’s Foreign Office. “I’m not expecting a radical change in American foreign policy, but I do expect a change in body language and tone, and a shift away from unilateralism to collaboration with allies.”

Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister of Scotland, did not wait for the race to be called, tweeting on Friday evening, “The world can be a dark place at times just now — but today we are seeing a wee break in the clouds.”

Britain’s prime minister, Boris Johnson, whom Mr. Trump has treated as an ideological twin because of his populist tactics and championing of Brexit, issued a more restrained statement, but singled out Ms. Harris for her “historic achievement” as the first woman elected vice president.

“The U.S. is our most important ally,” he said, “and I look forward to working closely together on our shared priorities from climate change to trade and security.”

For allies in Europe, the relief was palpable. Mr. Trump backed Brexit because he saw it as a way to undermine the European Union. He levied tariffs on European exports, pulled out of the Paris climate accord and hectored France and Germany about not paying enough to support NATO.

Even European leaders who tried to establish a rapport with Mr. Trump, like Mr. Macron, eventually gave up. Diplomats said these leaders hoped now to reset the trans-Atlantic relationship, particularly since Mr. Biden is expected to emphasize repairing frayed ties with Europe.

“You will be able to have a coherent conversation with a normal guy,” said Gérard Araud, the former French ambassador to Washington, who sat in on often discursive exchanges between Mr. Trump and Mr. Macron.

Glad ISIS didn’t rise to power under Trump because of his bad decisions but that he did help beat back the Caliphate.

Glad there has been fewer terror attacks under Trump.

Glad Kim jong un is not firing off rockets routinely at neighbors.

Glad Arab countries are making peace with Israel.

Glad a coup was not supported by Trump in 2009 in Honduras that is listed as the main reason for the immigrants and refugees.

Last edited:
Is foreign powers preferring Biden supposed to be a good thing?

Again,who cares what they think overseas…?I guess for them misery loves company :roll_eyes:

Last edited:
Yes, a New York Times article. And that’s fine, just pointing it out.

France, England?

Last edited:
Kim Jong Un is firing missiles at neighbors - you should follow the Japanese news.

40.png
RhodesianSon:
Is foreign powers preferring Biden supposed to be a good thing?
As the article says, they believe getting rid of Trump is the win here.
I’m sure China, Iran and even Russia would agree.

More likely kick something off with the saudis.
That would be suicide, my friend. Saudi Arabia is the home of Sunni Islam, and Shias attacking wouldn’t go too well. Iran knows that. In addition, the Saudis would only have to tell the Muslim world that Mecca was at stake and they’d get enough soldiers to destroy Iran.

Iran is not a threat. We have no business trying to control them.

You forget that Iraq is now ran by their Sunni majority. I’m not saying Iran would win or steamroll them or anything, but the whole reason Arab states have softened towards Israel is because of the common enemy of Iran.

You forget that Iraq is now ran by their Sunni majority. I’m not saying Iran would win or steamroll them or anything, but the whole reason Arab states have softened towards Israel is because of the common enemy of Iran.
Which is anti-Shia sentiment, the same sentiment that led to the attempted genocide of the Shia by ISIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back