Free advice, worth what you paid for it:
Who on earth asks herself “Should I marry him or should I leave?” What kind of a question is
that? That’s like finishing a job interview and asking yourself, “Should I call the cops on them, or should I take the job?” I don’t know about the former, but the latter question kind of answers itself, don’t you think?
How is it that you are still asking this question, 13 years later? Your posts have “what on earth possessed me to marry him” written all over them. There is absolutely nothing in what you wrote that advocates in favor of a marriage.
This is what advocates against it:
- He offers you nothing in the way of love, except protests that he loves you. You have not mentioned one concrete thing that he gives to you.
- You break up, but then you go back for reasons other than that he makes you happy: because he cries, because you felt guilty, because someone else made you cry. I can’t even keep up with all of them, but in no instance was it a good reason. After you go back, you feel stuck with him. He sounds for all the world like your perpetual “rebound guy”, the guy who is a bad idea but that you go back to in-between other boyfriends because he’s already in your comfort zone.
- You each want very different things out of life, things that are mutually exclusive
- He gets angry about what you want out of life; if you get even some of what you want, he won’t like it
- He is going to be no help in pursuing holiness, and probably a handicap. The prospect that he might have a change of heart isn’t even on the table, is it? You want to marry someone who isn’t supportive of your faith? If you think you are miserable now, wait until your children are old enough to receive the sacraments. You don’t know miserable yet.
- You don’t enjoy him. If there were any good days or if he has anything whatsoever about him that delights you, reports of that stuff didn’t even make the first cut when reporting the big picture. Most days, you’re happier when he’s somewhere else. There is a reason for that. I don’t know what it is, but don’t think that hurrying to name “the good times” changes that. How can you possibly love him enough to marry him? You don’t even like him!
- You’re not even sure he loves you: “…Maybe it was too late, he moved on, and stopped loving me…”
This is the most telling, however:
If I knew that he is going to be happy when we break up, I would do it now.
What? You think you’re the center of his universe, he can’t be happy unless you submerge what you want and stick around for his sake? That’s either pathetic or incredibly arrogant. Depending on the real situation on the ground, it might even be both. It really doesn’t matter. You’re going to be miserable, and you’ll probably make him miserable, too.
Do everyone a favor. Break up with this young man and promise promise promise yourself that you will never go back. Not ever, no way, period. If you keep doing the same thing over and over, you’ll get the same result over and over. You’ve run the experiment enough times, already. Quit refusing to
learn!!
Then, when you have left and resolved never to go back, even if it means never marrying at all, start on this: “dreams…I dont know if I have any, but thats another question…”
No, that is not another question. You started dating at 17 and you’ve been around this guy for 13 years. That makes you 30 years old! Until you get some dreams of your own, don’t even think about dating another guy. It ought not take a long time, but you ought to learn to know your own mind before you start another courtship