SusanneT said:
Breastfeeding is a beautiful and natural part of motherhood. But it can and should be done within the bounds of modesty.
But those bounds of modesty vary from culture to culture. In some cultures, bringing out the entire breast to feed your baby is not immodest. In the United States, it seems to vary widely. We don’t have a monolithic cultural standard on this or any modesty issue.
I nursed all my babies in church, in the pew, without a nursing cover. Some people will be offended at this, but my breast was never exposed, except perhaps for a brief moment during the time when the baby latched on, but I made sure to do that part discretely. I consider that modest, but in my circles, a nursing cover seems to be de rigueur. I always felt just a little scandalous, but my babies could breathe and we were both more comfortable. One of the nicest things about nursing a baby is the eye contact and interaction between mother and child. It is actually a part of the design. It isn’t all about the nutrition. It is hard to have that contact with a blanket over your shoulder.
Others disagree that there is any modest way to breastfeed in public at all, even with a blanket or nursing cover. I mean, if woman has a cover over her shoulder, it is kind of obvious that she is nursing and she thus draws attention to herself.
I once had lunch with a (male) friend when one of my babies was really little, just a couple of months old, in a sling. I was nursing my baby In the sling and he could see nothing. This poor guy was so bothered by the very idea that I was nursing in public, even though he admitted that he couldn’t see anything. It was just the idea of it. He wouldn’t have even known if I hadn’t mentioned it. I had no idea he would be so disturbed by the concept.