L
Lou2U
Guest
I was going to make this thread earlier today but as ever, things have been moving very quickly.
In a nutshell, Theresa May has written to the EU informing them she wants an extension until June 30th. The EU are going to be debating this beginning tomorrow, but their patience has unsurprisingly run out. Macron is threatening to veto but some are suggesting he is saying so partly on behalf of other members, because no matter what, Britain will blame the French for it. The EU also aren’t happy because the EU Parliament elections begin on May 23rd, and they would prefer us out then, or apply for a longer extension until the end of the year. May has so far said she doesn’t want Britain to participate - if we don’t, then it comes down to a choice between her deal and no deal only.
Just under an hour ago, she made a very short speech to the British public, laying the blame for the delay solely at the feet of members of Parliament. I can’t say what I really would like to about this speech because I’d get banned but I found it incredibly arrogant and patronising, to say the least. May is incapable of accepting any kind of responsibility for this mess that leaves us (at present) with 9 days to get a deal. She is still trying to appeal to the hardline Brexiteers in her party, despite knowing that if she continues, she will not be able to reach a consensus.
Last week it was her intention to bring back her deal for a third vote, also known as ‘MV3’ or Meaningful Vote 3. She was stopped by the Speaker of the House because Parliamentary law dictates that you can’t bring back something which has been roundly defeated without substantial changes. I’m not sure exactly what changes are now being made but Monday has been earmarked as a potential date for another vote.
In short (and to borrow one of May’s own phrases), ‘nothing has changed’. We may have an extension, but May has again alienated just about everyone with her own intransigence. I think it very difficult she will be able to get her deal through Parliament. I did think it looked a little more hopeful for her not too long ago but I really can’t see a way through this with the path she is continuing on.
In a nutshell, Theresa May has written to the EU informing them she wants an extension until June 30th. The EU are going to be debating this beginning tomorrow, but their patience has unsurprisingly run out. Macron is threatening to veto but some are suggesting he is saying so partly on behalf of other members, because no matter what, Britain will blame the French for it. The EU also aren’t happy because the EU Parliament elections begin on May 23rd, and they would prefer us out then, or apply for a longer extension until the end of the year. May has so far said she doesn’t want Britain to participate - if we don’t, then it comes down to a choice between her deal and no deal only.
Just under an hour ago, she made a very short speech to the British public, laying the blame for the delay solely at the feet of members of Parliament. I can’t say what I really would like to about this speech because I’d get banned but I found it incredibly arrogant and patronising, to say the least. May is incapable of accepting any kind of responsibility for this mess that leaves us (at present) with 9 days to get a deal. She is still trying to appeal to the hardline Brexiteers in her party, despite knowing that if she continues, she will not be able to reach a consensus.
Last week it was her intention to bring back her deal for a third vote, also known as ‘MV3’ or Meaningful Vote 3. She was stopped by the Speaker of the House because Parliamentary law dictates that you can’t bring back something which has been roundly defeated without substantial changes. I’m not sure exactly what changes are now being made but Monday has been earmarked as a potential date for another vote.
In short (and to borrow one of May’s own phrases), ‘nothing has changed’. We may have an extension, but May has again alienated just about everyone with her own intransigence. I think it very difficult she will be able to get her deal through Parliament. I did think it looked a little more hopeful for her not too long ago but I really can’t see a way through this with the path she is continuing on.