Byzantine Catholic and sin

• Thread starter Thread starter LNL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Vico and @Phillip_Rolfes I must say that it is wonderful to see so many here, and especially you two of late, seriously investigating the Early Fathers and the more recent Western Saints… I mean, there is something seriously good about hearing and being heard… Thank-you…

geo

@George720 It’s always good to encounter others who take their Faith seriously and are always striving toward maturity in Christ. Thank you for being here.

@George720 I found this from Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America’s website. It’s taken from their translation of the Akathist:
Rejoice, Virgin Bride of God, the restoration of Adam, the mortification of Hades.
Rejoice, completely unblemished One, the palace of the only King.
Rejoice, fiery throne of the Sovereign of all.
Rejoice, for you carried in your womb the Way of life.
Rejoice, Bride of God, all-blameless Maiden, who saved the world from the flood of sin.
Rejoice, awe-inspiring message and report, habitation of the One who is Lord of all creation.
Rejoice, Bride of God, who carried in your womb the healer of the human race.
Rejoice, O mystical rod that blossomed the flower that will never wilt.
Rejoice, O Lady, through whom we are filled with joy and inherited eternal life.
Now, I recognize that the text of the Akathist isn’t calling her Bride of the Holy Spirit (maybe it does elsewhere in the text, I’m not sure). I also recognize that calling her the “Bride of God” or the “Bride of the Holy Spirit” could just be poetic reflection. But poetic reflection - especially liturgical poetry - always speaks into a deeper truth.

Last edited:
Thank-you for your post, @Vico - St. John very apparently did himself believe that the Blessed Virgin is the Bride of the Holy Spirit, which from my pov shows that sainthood does not bequeath infallibility! 🙂

Because it is an easy matter, humanly speaking, to ascribe such a marital relationship by pointing out that it was the Holy Spirit Who impregnated her… When He “came upon” her… And it is also easy enough to extend from Her role as the Bride of God, unto being by extension the Bride of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit… But all of these are conclusions drawn by fallen human inference, based on fallen human definitions, when the terms themselves are but descriptive and evocative of matters not so based at all…

I must say that Russia was under heavy western influence at this time, and John was in all likelihood writing pastorally, and not dogmatically, and if this idea was prevalent in his flock and he at least saw no harm in it and perhaps even believed it, then using it to encourage and exhort is without much harm, I should hope… Although God did put His Russian Church under the purgation of the rule of the Atheists for some 80 - So perhaps my hope is vain…
40.png
Vico:
Raduisia, Nevistyu Svyatago Ducha!
Forgive my ignorance of Slavonic - Might you translate this for me?

So is this idea common among the Russian Saints? That the Holy Spirit is the Spouse of the Blessed Virgin, and perhaps thereby the real Father of Christ, instead of God the Father?

geo
Hail, Bride of the Holy Ghost.

In Father John’s spiritual diary, which is what My Life in Christ is, the Theotokos is named the chosen bride of the Holy Ghost, and also each faithful soul is a bride of the Holy Ghost. I don’t know how common the idea is in the Russian tradition.

The Greek tradition includes the prayers where the Theotokos is the Bride of God as also is Jerusalem, and the Theotokos is a symbol of the Church. See Saint Ephraem of Syria (306-373 AD) Hymn on the Nativity 6, 9-10, in Graef, pp. 57-58 has “I am also thy bride” and Saint Cyril of Jerusalem (313-386 AD) (Mystagogical Catechesis #26) Theotokos is called the bride. Also from the Second Sermon on the Assumption (Graef, p. 149) from Patriarch of Constantinople Saint Germanus (634-733 AD):
You alone, Theotokos, are the highest on the whole earth; and we, O Bride of God, bless you in faith
Ref: Hilda Graef, Mary: A History of Doctrine and Devotion , vol. 1, New York: Sheed & Ward, 1963.

Also see in the Great Canon:
Ineffable is the childbearing of a seedless conception, unsullied the pregnancy of a Virgin Mother, for the birth of God renews natures. So in all generations we magnify thee in orthodox fashion as the Mother and Bride of God. – Irmos of Ode 9 of the Great Canon
http://www.saintjonah.org/services/

Last edited:
The Greek Ecclesiastical Tradition holds Her to be the Bride of God, and the New Jerusalem coming down out of Heaven, but not the Bride of any particular Person comprising the Holy Trinity… And this is indeed what we find as people mature in Christ and encounter God in purity of heart - eg They acquire God, and they do not acquire God the Father, or God the Son, or God the Holy Spirit - They do not acquire any particular God-Person, but instead God in Power - And this Power, on earth, for us, is the Power of the Holy Spirit, Who interacts with us as God while we are upon the earth, Who is carried in the God-bearing Saints… iow - This is hard to say clearly - QUA Bride of God, She is One with God the One, and only by extension, and even if through, is She One with God the Three… And this IN the Holy Spirit, who is the interface of God the Father on earth, through Christ’s directing Him, which means in part through the intercessions of the Saints of the Church…

So that when the Saints encounter God in purity of heart through repentance, they encounter the Power of God, more than the Person of God… God as Person is more of an Advisor and Comforter and Director, whereas the Power of God is the Wealth of God in His Creation of the Kosmos… And it is this Power that the Saints acquire according to the degree that they are able to hold it, which is a function of their degree of repentance in preparation for that encounter in which they are saturated in that Power, as was Moses…

Calling Mary the Bride of the Holy Spirit, you see, distracts from the very practical teaching of Her being the Bride of God, into which man is entered in purity of heart, even in Old Testament times, by direct encounter with God, in which such a man experiences Life Eternal, KNOWING (in the most intimate way possible, far more than marital relations which the term knowing means in ancient Israel) the One True God - THAT, you see, is the Marriage of Mankind with God, given in part to fallen repentant man even in this fallen life on earth, BY God, as He gave it to Moses… That is what the EOC means by its usage of the term Theosis… The unification of man with God in Power by Divine Encounter…

Enough!

geo

Last edited:
Saint Ephraim the Syrian (306-373) called the Virgin Mary the Bride of Christ (from Michael O’Carroll, “Spouse of God”).
Well, he is, as always, speaking poetically. In the same Nativity hymn, he says (actually, the way the hymn is framed, it is Mary who is saying all this to Christ) that Mary is Christ’s Mother, bride, sister, handmaiden and daughter. Ephrem sees Mary in multiple typological ways. I don’t know of any instances of Ephrem emphasizing Mary as the Bride of Christ, or stand alone references.

The Syriac typology of Mary is endless.

40.png
Vico:
Saint Ephraim the Syrian (306-373) called the Virgin Mary the Bride of Christ (from Michael O’Carroll, “Spouse of God”).
Well, he is, as always, speaking poetically. In the same Nativity hymn, he says (actually, the way the hymn is framed, it is Mary who is saying all this to Christ) that Mary is Christ’s Mother, bride, sister, handmaiden and daughter. Ephrem sees Mary in multiple typological ways. I don’t know of any instances of Ephrem emphasizing Mary as the Bride of Christ, or stand alone references.

The Syriac typology of Mary is endless.
An actual sample, Hymn XI, “The Virgin Mother to Her Child” by St. Ephraim the Syrian:
For I am Your sister, of the house of David the father of us Both. Again, I am Your Mother because of Your Conception, and Your Bride am I because of Your sanctification, Your handmaid and Your daughter, from the Blood and Water wherewith You have purchased me and baptised me.

The Greek Ecclesiastical Tradition holds Her to be the Bride of God, and the New Jerusalem coming down out of Heaven, but not the Bride of any particular Person comprising the Holy Trinity… And this is indeed what we find as people mature in Christ and encounter God in purity of heart - eg They acquire God, and they do not acquire God the Father, or God the Son, or God the Holy Spirit - They do not acquire any particular God-Person, but instead God in Power - And this Power, on earth, for us, is the Power of the Holy Spirit, Who interacts with us as God while we are upon the earth, Who is carried in the God-bearing Saints… iow - This is hard to say clearly - QUA Bride of God, She is One with God the One, and only by extension, and even if through, is She One with God the Three… And this IN the Holy Spirit, who is the interface of God the Father on earth, through Christ’s directing Him, which means in part through the intercessions of the Saints of the Church…

So that when the Saints encounter God in purity of heart through repentance, they encounter the Power of God, more than the Person of God… God as Person is more of an Advisor and Comforter and Director, whereas the Power of God is the Wealth of God in His Creation of the Kosmos… And it is this Power that the Saints acquire according to the degree that they are able to hold it, which is a function of their degree of repentance in preparation for that encounter in which they are saturated in that Power, as was Moses…

Calling Mary the Bride of the Holy Spirit, you see, distracts from the very practical teaching of Her being the Bride of God, into which man is entered in purity of heart, even in Old Testament times, by direct encounter with God, in which such a man experiences Life Eternal, KNOWING (in the most intimate way possible, far more than marital relations which the term knowing means in ancient Israel) the One True God - THAT, you see, is the Marriage of Mankind with God, given in part to fallen repentant man even in this fallen life on earth, BY God, as He gave it to Moses… That is what the EOC means by its usage of the term Theosis… The unification of man with God in Power by Divine Encounter…

Enough!

geo
Right back to what was first posted that the faithful have friendship with The Holy Trinity!

All in all, this seems to be an effort to nail down what doesn’t need nailing and defining . . .

Forgive my ignorance of Slavonic - Might you translate this for me?

So is this idea common among the Russian Saints? That the Holy Spirit is the Spouse of the Blessed Virgin, and perhaps thereby the real Father of Christ, instead of God the Father?

geo
Slavonic is also the official liturgical language of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

Until a few years ago, it was for the Metropolia of Pittsburgh, too.

Now, it’s English, and slavonic is all but being stamped out .

OK, that’s overstatement, but a couple of years ago, at the eparchial clergy conference, they double-underlined “the Ruthenian immigration is over”. If we are to survive, it is by bringing in the English speaking . . .

You Latins don’t care what the Quintisext council said, and rightfully so.
Not true. If Quinisext taught heresy, we would care. If it taught truth, we would care as well. After all, Quinisext council was more of a disciplinary than dogmatic IIRC. Anyway, Latins did care about Quinisext historically- but not in a way where they would accept it.
You’re missing the point. Trent was a Latin council.
and Chalcedon was Greek. Can Latins just freely reject it? Sure, Latins actually attended in small number- but Byzantines from Italy had impact on Trent (if they didn’t attend it explicitly, their practices were taken into account when Fathers of Trent got informed about them).

I am not saying you are bound by explicit definitions of Trent, I am saying that if Trent was wrong it was wrong in East and West. If Trent was correct, it was correct in East and West. Expressions may differ but faith remains immaculate and pure in entire Church, regardless of Rite. Otherwise there’s a problem.

Last edited:
Yes, and I do. When asked about Palamism I would not view it as incorrect or incompatible with Latin theology, neither would I go on about how that’s just simply not Latin practice and hence I need not concern myself with it. God gave us Hesychasm to draw us to Him- why reject the practice? Because it came outside my Rite? After all, Latins practice similar stuff.

Even though that Council happened outside communion of Catholic Church (unlike Trent, Chalcedon etc), fact Eastern Catholics accept it and are part of Infallible Church means (to me, as a Latin), that Catholic Church accepts it and hence I have to accept it, otherwise I’m disobedient to Church- One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, which is neither Latin nor Greek, but Universal.

Okay, then I apologize. I think we’re saying the same thing but just not really understanding each other.
Might be!
From my experience, many Latins absolutely reject (not as outside their patrimony, but rather as incorrect or heretical) any practice of the East that is not also practiced in the West.
That is sad and wrong, but also disobedient to Church.
I appreciate that that is not your point of view, and I apologize for misunderstanding you.
There is nothing to apologize for. I am glad we understand each other now- I have misunderstood your views too. Thank you for clarification.

In our parish, we have Slavonic at certain times of the year (Khrestu Tvoyemu, Khristos Voskrese, Yelitsi). Otherwise, it’s English on Saturday evening & English/Ukrainian on Sunday.

Considering they are Catholic, and not outside the Church, they follow all the teachings of the Church, which would include the teachings of worthiness for the reception of the Most Blessed of all Sacraments. This applies for all doctrine as well. Just know the different customs.

Even though that Council happened outside communion of Catholic Church (unlike Trent, Chalcedon etc), fact Eastern Catholics accept it and are part of Infallible Church means (to me, as a Latin), that Catholic Church accepts it and hence I have to accept it, otherwise I’m disobedient to Church- One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, which is neither Latin nor Greek, but Universal.
So do Latin Rite Catholics affirm St. Gregory Palamas?
Are they required to?
This looks slippery - A affirms B, and B affirms C, but A does not affirm C??
In Orthodox terms, this sounds like a discussion!

geo

This looks slippery - A affirms B, and B affirms C, but A does not affirm C??
In Orthodox terms, this sounds like a discussion!
I’m sorry could you elaborate? I don’t quite see who ABC are in this scenario 😃
So do Latin Rite Catholics affirm St. Gregory Palamas?
Are they required to?
Yes, we are required to affirm Catholic Church in it’s entirety. If Eastern Catholics confess something we must affirm it positively. Otherwise unity would be a false pretension.

Last edited:
A = Latin Rite
B = Eastern Rite
C = EOC [Palamite]
Latins affirm Eastern Catholicism in it’s entirety. Eastern Catholicism affirms majority of Eastern Orthodoxy (if not everything except ecclesiology I guess). At the same time, Latin Catholics affirm majority of Eastern Orthodoxy (precisely same points Eastern Catholics affirm). However, nor Eastern Catholics nor Latins Catholic affirm anything contrary to what Catholic Church handed down to us, neither do we fail to affirm that which She has handed. Note that “affirmation” is a bit different than openly professing something. Eastern Catholics “affirm” Purgatory in a sense that they do not deny it’s validity. Latin Catholics “affirm” Palamism in a sense that they do not deny it’s validity. However, Palamism in itself is not official theology of Latin Church that we profess and neither is Purgatory official theology of Eastern Catholic Churches that they profess.
Have you read St. Gregory Palamite’s Homily 53?
No, not really. Either way, same way Eastern Orthodoxy affirms St. George the Hagiorite but not his views on Papacy, St. Gregory the Great but not his views on Papacy, St. Athanasius but not his views on Filioque (or at least some don’t), St. Augustine but not majority of his theology (at least nowadays)… we affirm Palamism as correct and valid theology. We do not affirm everything Saint Gregory Palamas said or did- especially if those things contradict Faith handed down to us by the Church.

(and yes that’s an if, not saying St. Gregory ever contradicted Catholic Church … I unfortunately do not have time to read his Homily 53 right now, but I will try to do so when I have it, I am slacking off on forums already and if I got to reading something those pauses would be lengthier than writing one post 😃 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back