I am still attending RCIA, and working on accepting church teachings.
My last two are these - any insight here is appreciated:
- Calling the Pope “Holy Father” seems wrong. I don’t think someone born a man should be called Holy. There have been some very un-holy Popes thru history.
- Papal infallability - I have read enough to understand it, and just can’t accept it. I have seen quotes from Popes of the past that did not support this. I just read some on another thread here. If I don’t accept Papal infallability - can one still be Catholic?
Thank you all!
- Yes, there have been some un-holy popes, and not all men deserve to be called “holy”. Nevertheless, many men deserve to be called “holy”, and the Bible agrees:
Tobias 12:1
Then Tobias called to him his son, and said to him: What can we give to this
holy man, that is come with thee?
4 Kings 4:9
And she said to her husband: I perceive that this is a
holy man of God, who often passeth by us.
Mark 6:20
For Herod feared John, knowing him to be a just and
holy man: and kept him, and when he heard him, did many things: and he heard him willingly.
1 Thessalonians 5:27
I charge you by the Lord, that this epistle be read to all the
holy brethren.
Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore,
holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly vocation, consider the apostle and high priest of our confession…
Protestants will also bring up the subject of “call no man father” when denying the Pope the title of “Holy Father”. Well, the Bible refers to Abraham as “Father”. Even Jesus called him “Father”. The Blessed Virgin referred to Joseph as (Jesus’) “Father”. So there is no real prohibition on calling someone “father”. Jesus meant something specific by this “call no man Father”, although I profess that I don’t know what He meant by this. But it wasn’t a blatant “you can’t say ‘father’ or you’re going to hell!” Here are a few examples:
Judith 8:22
They must remember how our **father Abraham **was tempted, and being proved by many tribulations, was made the friend of God.
Josue 24:3
And I took your
father Abraham from the borders of Mesopotamia: and brought him into the land of Chanaan: and I multiplied his seed,
Luke 16:24
And he cried, and said:
Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame.
Luke 16:30
But he said: No,
father Abraham: but if one went to them from the dead, they will do penance.
John 8:53
Art thou greater than our
father Abraham, who is dead? and the prophets are dead. Whom dost thou make thyself…
Acts of the Apostles 7:2
Who said: Ye men, brethren, and fathers, hear. The God of glory appeared to our
father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charan.
- Papal Infallibility: My imperfect understanding is this: when the Pope passes a doctrine, we are all bound to abide by this decree because the Pope said so. He has the Keys for binding and loosing. So there. This is not a democracy. The Pope is more of an absolute monarch. He hardly ever uses this authority, and it has been vastly overblown by Protestants. The plus side to Papal Infallibility- let’s say the Pope decrees something that offends God, something heretical. Because we are bound to believe, we are sort of off-the-hook if you will, as far as incurring God’s wrath. This protects us from bad Popes making bad decisions. But so far, I have never heard of a Pope making a truly bad decision for the whole church. The bad Popes were personally corrupt, and they will receive their just rewards for their corruption.
As far as still being Catholic even when one does not agree or understand Church teaching: If everyone who had some issue with some aspect of Church teaching was barred from being Catholic, the Church would be very small indeed. I dare say most people have some issue with some teachings. I think the best attitude should be: Lord, I’m trying to understand a difficult teaching, but I am willing to be led to understanding. I trust.
I believer Peter had the same difficulty with the teaching of the Eucharist when many followers left Jesus over the issue of eating His flesh. When Jesus asked his loyal 12 “Are you going to leave me also?” Peter replied, “Where will we go? You have the words to eternal life!” That sounds to me like Peter didn’t understand this “difficult teaching” any more than the rest of the followers that got up and left, but he
trusted.