Can Catholics disagree with the Pope?

  • Thread starter Thread starter merne9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

merne9

Guest
I’m curious whether Catholics can disagree with the Pope. I read a lot of posts from Catholics either criticizing the Pope or simply not agreeing.
I have been through my own evolution in my faith and time and time again have realized through many ways how wrong I was and end up agreeing with the Church.
I wonder, if we disagree with any part of the Church teachings or even what Pope Francis says does that mean we have more growing in our faith to do? Does that mean we are not as familiar?
From my husband’s perspective (former Atheist) we (Catholics) don’t seem to be very free when we are told what to think, believe etc.
Thank you any thing will help
 
I’m curious whether Catholics can disagree with the Pope. I read a lot of posts from Catholics either criticizing the Pope or simply not agreeing.
I have been through my own evolution in my faith and time and time again have realized through many ways how wrong I was and end up agreeing with the Church.
I wonder, if we disagree with any part of the Church teachings or even what Pope Francis says does that mean we have more growing in our faith to do? Does that mean we are not as familiar?
From my husband’s perspective (former Atheist) we (Catholics) don’t seem to be very free when we are told what to think, believe etc.
Thank you any thing will help
Catholics cannot disagree with Church teachings. Ever.

A Pope’s teachings, however, do not equal Church teaching. Still, a Pope or Bishop’s teachings do require what is called a submission of the intellect or will
Can. 752 Although not an assent of faith, a religious submission of the intellect and will must be given to a doctrine which the Supreme Pontiff or the college of bishops declares concerning faith or morals when they exercise the authentic magisterium, even if they do not intend to proclaim it by definitive act; therefore, the Christian faithful are to take care to avoid those things which do not agree with it.
Can. 753 Although the bishops who are in communion with the head and members of the college, whether individually or joined together in conferences of bishops or in particular councils, do not possess infallibility in teaching, they are authentic teachers and instructors of the faith for the Christian faithful entrusted to their care; the Christian faithful are bound to adhere with religious submission of mind to the authentic magisterium of their bishops.
If a Pope or Bishop were to teach something contrary to the faith, the faith always supersedes. Of course, this situation is more difficult to perceive than one might initially assume. It is easy to convince oneself that what a Pope or Bishop is saying is against this or that teaching and can therefore be disregarded, at least if one is *looking *for reasons to disagree with the Pope. It is for this very reason that the submission of intellect and will is so important.

Our default position should be to submit to the teaching of our bishop and Pope unless it should prove to be contrary to Sacred Tradition. Too often the opposite has become true, and Catholics feel that they must prove what the Pope or bishop has said before it is to be believed.

This can reveal two ways in which Catholics need to growth. On the one hand, many Catholics must dedicate themselves further to the knowledge of the faith so that they may more easily understand teachings which are in alignment with the faith and teachings which are not. On the other hand, some Catholics must learn to truly submit their intellects and wills to those of their bishops and the Pope so that trust and harmony are considered before distrust and discord.

As for Catholics not being “free” in what we are to think and believe, your husband would be correct. As Christ taught, Catholics ultimately are sheep, with Christ as the ultimate Shepherd. The Pope acts in his place (as Vicar), and the bishops under the Pope. We, as sheep, do not have unfettered freedom of intellect, for Christ has already established the truth and the faith. The intellect is only of use insofar as it operates within truth and reality. The Catholic faith and teachings–established by Christ, the ultimate truth–bind the intellects and wills of all Catholics. In this way, our intellects are unlocked to their true potential, as we are protected from erroneous or senseless thoughts so long as we remain with in the boundaries that have been established.

In other words, free thought which disregards the teachings of the Church can only lead to false beliefs, half-truths, and erroneous conclusions, since the Church contains, in Christ, the fullness of the truth.
 
im a non-Catholic but I think when the pope speaks something from his chair then it is official and must be obeyed by catholics on faith or morals, but when he is daily speaking and doing it is ok to discuss keeping respect for him as a leader in the CC.
 
I would think one could disagree with the Pope and/or the teachings of the church based on the supremacy of conscience. And I don’t think the church has a problem with that as many in the church see doubt or disagreement as a means of digging deeper into the issue. The church and the scriptures only ask us not to politicize our differences and/or de-edify the church…;how are others on the supremacy of concscience?

Trickster
 
im a non-Catholic but I think when the pope speaks something from his chair then it is official and must be obeyed by catholics on faith or morals, but when he is daily speaking and doing it is ok to discuss keeping respect for him as a leader in the CC.
You are a better Catholic than many Catholics!
 
I would think one could disagree with the Pope and/or the teachings of the church based on the supremacy of conscience. And I don’t think the church has a problem with that as many in the church see doubt or disagreement as a means of digging deeper into the issue. The church and the scriptures only ask us not to politicize our differences and/or de-edify the church…;how are others on the supremacy of concscience?

Trickster
So if my conscience tells me abortion is ok, then it supersedes church teaching?

🤷
 
So if my conscience tells me abortion is ok, then it supersedes church teaching?

🤷
Yes. There is more to what is to be believed, then just dogmas. There are two kinds of Magisterium. Extraordinary Magisterium and ordinary Magisterium. The extraordinary form of it may happen in two forms: 1. When the Pope, ex-catedra, announces a dogma. 2. When the Pope with the bishops partake in an Ecumenical Council, the teachings of the Council are to be believed by all faithful.
The ordinary Magisterium consists of Encyclicals and Apostolic Letters given out by the Pope. These too bear the sign of infallibility and must be believed.
None of the above are open to discussion, if you are a Catholic.
 
I would think one could disagree with the Pope and/or the teachings of the church based on the supremacy of conscience. And I don’t think the church has a problem with that as many in the church see doubt or disagreement as a means of digging deeper into the issue. The church and the scriptures only ask us not to politicize our differences and/or de-edify the church…;how are others on the supremacy of concscience?

Trickster
Your conscience can never trump official teaching on faith and morals! You shouldn’t be a cafeteria Catholic, it’s not our job to pick and choose.
 
Yes. There is more to what is to be believed, then just dogmas. There are two kinds of Magisterium. Extraordinary Magisterium and ordinary Magisterium. The extraordinary form of it may happen in two forms: 1. When the Pope, ex-catedra, announces a dogma. 2. When the Pope with the bishops partake in an Ecumenical Council, the teachings of the Council are to be believed by all faithful.
The ordinary Magisterium consists of Encyclicals and Apostolic Letters given out by the Pope. These too bear the sign of infallibility and must be believed.
None of the above are open to discussion, if you are a Catholic.
Wow… Interesting. So anything goes as long as I believe it is right.

Polygamy
Homosexuality
Abortion
Rape
Murder
Genocide

My conscience trumps the church.

News to me.
 
Your conscience can never trump official teaching on faith and morals! You shouldn’t be a cafeteria Catholic, it’s not our job to pick and choose.
I wonder why they made me say I believe all the church teaches when I was confirmed.

If they are right about my conscience being supreme, I should have just affirmed " I believe all my conscience directs me to be true regardless of what you teach. "
 
Wow… Interesting. So anything goes as long as I believe it is right.

Polygamy
Homosexuality
Abortion
Rape
Murder
Genocide

My conscience trumps the church.

News to me.
You must follow Church teaching, not your conscience. If you follow your conscience contrary to teaching, then it supersedes it and you are effectively outside the Church.
 
You must follow Church teaching, not your conscience. If you follow your conscience contrary to teaching, then it supersedes it and you are effectively outside the Church.
I am glad to hear you say that, I must have misunderstood your “yes” to agree with the poster I commented on who said “we can disagree based on supremacy of conscience”

Phew
 
I am glad to hear you say that, I must have misunderstood your “yes” to agree with the poster I commented on who said “we can disagree based on supremacy of conscience”

Phew
There is no supremacy of conscience. Supremacy of Church teaching, yes.
And as for disagreeing with the Pope, only when you have reach the holy state of Catherine of Sienna, may you speak something about the Pope. Until then, he must be trusted as our Supreme Shepherd here on Earth.
 
well I would not limit my scope here to doctrinal issues.
I disagreed when the pope placed his skull-cap on the head of a baby. I felt a is a personal property of the pope (the papacy and not the individual).
but in doctrine we must believe and agree with the pope (who wants to embrace schism anyway?).
actions and doctrines sound different to me.
 
It depends on what you disagree with and how you exercise that disagreement. If you disagree with any dogma of the Church, that’s not good and you should submit to the authority of the Church, we submit ourselves to the teachings of the Catholic Church. If you disagree with the Pope in a specific area, perhaps about the best way to go about getting something accomplished, that’s okay, as long as it isn’t dogma, but you shouldn’t go out of your way to get in the way, if that makes sense. In other words, you can disagree, but do what you are directed to do and don’t make a show and fuss over it all.

You should also keep in mind the Pope didn’t become the Pope because he didn’t know what he was doing. There is a good chance he knows a great deal more about how the Church should conduct itself than any of us ever will. If you believe in the Catholic Church, if you believe in the Holy Father, if you believe the Holy Spirit guides the leaders of the Catholic Church and believe no force in the world can prevail against it as promised in the Holy Scriptures, you should probably reevaluate your views before vocalizing anything you think may be wrong or out of line. There is also an aspect of respect for the Chair of Saint Peter regardless of who sits in the chair.
 
I would think one could disagree with the Pope and/or the teachings of the church based on the supremacy of conscience. And I don’t think the church has a problem with that as many in the church see doubt or disagreement as a means of digging deeper into the issue. The church and the scriptures only ask us not to politicize our differences and/or de-edify the church…;how are others on the supremacy of concscience?

Trickster
It’s all up to how you form your conscience. If your conscience is well-formed, then it provides a reliable guide. If not, it will always lead you to error.

CCC1786 Faced with a moral choice, conscience can make either a right judgment in accordance with reason and the divine law or, on the contrary, an erroneous judgment that departs from them.

Therefore, we must take the steps to properly inform our conscience.

CCC1783 Conscience must be informed and moral judgment enlightened. A well-formed conscience is upright and truthful. It formulates its judgments according to reason, in conformity with the true good willed by the wisdom of the Creator. the education of conscience is indispensable for human beings who are subjected to negative influences and tempted by sin to prefer their own judgment and to reject authoritative teachings.
 
I’m curious whether Catholics can disagree with the Pope. I read a lot of posts from Catholics either criticizing the Pope or simply not agreeing.
I have been through my own evolution in my faith and time and time again have realized through many ways how wrong I was and end up agreeing with the Church.
I wonder, if we disagree with any part of the Church teachings or even what Pope Francis says does that mean we have more growing in our faith to do? Does that mean we are not as familiar?
From my husband’s perspective (former Atheist) we (Catholics) don’t seem to be very free when we are told what to think, believe etc.
Thank you any thing will help
Sad to say but we find some Catholics today going in all the wrong directions. They think they know more than the Pope, the Church and even the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised His Church would never teach error. The Pope cannot teach anything against the teachings of Christ. So whenever the Pope teaches us through the Church, we must obey. It’s up to us to study and understand why the Church teaches what it does. Bishops are another story. Some can and have taught against Church teaching so the Bishop only has authority when he is in union with the Pope and the teaching Magisterium of the Church. God Bless, Memaw
 
I agree with most of the opinions. First, if the Pope makes a general statement that may not necessarily be on strict teachings, you have to clearly understand what he’s saying before you reject or oppose what he’s saying.

You absolutely cannot go against Dogma. If there’s something you don’t understand or bothers you about the Dogma, you have a wealth of resources to bring your mind, conscience and faith in complete unity with the body of Christ. I think this is what many Catholics overlook sometimes and what makes our Church unique. We are not all separated, disjointed parts in Christs’ body however diverse we are as faithful members.

If all of us as individuals take it upon ourselves to defy, or be disobedient with the teachings of the faith we all share, it weakens the entire body. In a nutshell, your strength or weakness in faith affects others whether you realize it or not. It’s not just here on Earth, but those who have fallen asleep we pray for. You need to realize that our belief is the soul never sleeps or dies, the body of Christ transcends time and space, you are part of that. Your dearly departed love ones who are still a part of Christs body to this day, need your faith and prayers.The mind, body, faith and soul, must be united as one with our Lord, and we amongst each other in our belief of the teachings of our Church.

Think about that next time you go up to communion and hear the words “The Body of Christ”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top