That’s what the Church teaches.
Can you provide Church Teaching which Teaches that “acceptance” of the Gospel as truth, is necessary for constituting “knowlege of the Gospel”?
It’s a
parable, @Ammi, not a theological treatise. If you feel that you have the authority to teach doctrine, in contradiction to the Church, then have at it. Me? I’ll stick with the Apostolic tradition, rather than a different Gospel than the one the Church teaches.
It’s actually the parable explained. There is a difference. Jesus was Teaching the meaning of the parable. I’ve asked for Catholic Teaching, not just your claim to it.
@Emeraldlady has been respectful enough to provide the position of Invincible Ignorance, which I would like to discuss, regarding its limitations.
In any case, here are a couple more Scripture (which is the highest Church Teaching) passages supporting condemnation by disbelief after hearing the Gospel.
John 12
If any one hears my sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. He who rejects me and does not receive my sayings has a judge; the word that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day. For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak.
Matthew 10
These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, “Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And preach as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without pay, give without pay. Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your belts, no bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor a staff; for the laborer deserves his food. And whatever town or village you enter, find out who is worthy in it, and stay with him until you depart. As you enter the house, salute it. And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. And if any one will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it shall be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomor′rah than for that town.