Catholic Amy Coney Barrett Front-Runner as Trump Signals Supreme Court Nomination Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter yankeesouth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a Justice who does not strongly hold political positions? I know that might be seen as naive…
The same might exist somewhere. But I do not consider abortion or religious freedom a “political position”.
What’s wrong with that?
I guess he had a right to think it. But if one is firm in one’s principles, “worthy” is not what one seeks in an adversary.

St. Pope John Paul II is clear on it (bold mine for emphasis)
Fine, I think based on Humanae Vitae he is crystal clear on it, with “it” being what I said. As do the bishops. The preeminent priority is number one, not number only. It is of a magnitude greater, but not the only issue. In fact, one can even vote from Trump rather than someone more pro-life based on his greater chance of being elected. Such factors as effectiveness of vote, or effectiveness of office, can be considered.

The bishops published a document on voting, not a sentence.

Last edited:
Clearly Trump is not only intelligent but he has an innate ability to connect with people,both elite and common folks.Bide,graduated almost last in his class has done nothing but take advantage of the system for 47 years .He hasn’t produced anything!

Last edited:
Clearly Trump is not only intelligent
LOL! He is a genius in his mind at least. The point is, if one is going to point at Biden and say his mind is slipping, four fingers are pointing back. Like I said, I would love for them to go head to head in a test of IQ.

Last edited:
I was referring to Trump v. Biden. I believe the evidence against Trump’s decline is far more compelling. Just this week he referred to “hydrosonic” missiles. That said, there is more evidence against him, perhaps because more of what he said is scrutinized. I understand that is a big factor. Biden has been more silent.

Last edited:
I know you were I was just giving you a hard time. Having said that,clearly Trump is a man of action and results!I love the guy best president in years!

The bishops published a document on voting, not a sentence.
the sentence being misinterpreted is
if the voter’s intent is to support that position.
the next line needs to be read,
In such cases, a Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in grave evil.
this doesn’t mean you can vote for an abortion candidate it just means you are in full cooperation if you support abortion. the next line just reminds us not to be indifferent to the other topics. not, vote for abortion if you believe in other issues.

people need to read the rest of the story where abortion is a must never do intrinsic evil and must never be condoned. it is not merely a matter of individual choice.

people overlook the must not do aspect of the statement concerning abortion, marriage, and euthanasia. this isn’t a choice it is a mandate. people are abandoning abortion, marriage, and euthanasia for judgmental issues. they aren’t proportionate reasons. both sides agree on them just not how to achieve the results desired

abortion will be expanded when Biden codifies Roe into law? he will force states to allow abortion. how can one say they don’t support abortion when in fact they know they are enabling its expansion?

1/2

2/2
Bold mine
  1. There are some things we must never do, as individuals or as a society, because they are always incompatible with love of God and neighbor. Such actions are so deeply flawed that they are always opposed to the authentic good of persons. These are called “intrinsically evil” actions. They must always be rejected and opposed and must never be supported or condoned. A prime example is the intentional taking of innocent human life, as in abortion and euthanasia. In our nation, “abortion and euthanasia have become preeminent threats to human dignity because they directly attack life itself, the most fundamental human good and the condition for all others” (Living the Gospel of Life, no. 5). It is a mistake with grave moral consequences to treat the destruction of innocent human life merely as a matter of individual choice. A legal system that violates the basic right to life on the grounds of choice is fundamentally flawed.
  1. Sometimes morally flawed laws already exist. In this situation, the process of framing legislation to protect life is subject to prudential judgment and “the art of the possible.” At times this process may restore justice only partially or gradually. For example, St. John Paul II taught that when a government official who fully opposes abortion cannot succeed in completely overturning a pro-abortion law, he or she may work to improve protection for unborn human life, “limiting the harm done by such a law” and lessening its negative impact as much as possible (Evangelium Vitae, no. 73). Such incremental improvements in the law are acceptable as steps toward the full restoration of justice. However, Catholics must never abandon the moral requirement to seek full protection for all human life from the moment of conception until natural death
  1. Catholics often face difficult choices about how to vote. This is why it is so important to vote according to a well-formed conscience that perceives the proper relationship among moral goods. A Catholic cannot vote for a candidate who favors a policy promoting an intrinsically evil act, such as abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, deliberately subjecting workers or the poor to subhuman living conditions, redefining marriage in ways that violate its essential meaning, or racist behavior, if the voter’s intent is to support that position. In such cases, a Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in grave evil. At the same time, a voter should not use a candidate’s opposition to an intrinsic evil to justify indifference or inattentiveness to other important moral issues involving human life and dignity.
  1. As Catholics we are not single-issue voters. A candidate’s position on a single issue is not sufficient to guarantee a voter’s support. Yet if a candidate’s position on a single issue promotes an intrinsically evil act, such as legal abortion, redefining marriage in a way that denies its essential meaning, or racist behavior, a voter may legitimately disqualify a candidate from receiving support

Elena Kagan had been nominated to the appellate court by Clinton but the Republican senate refused to hold hearings on her nomination, so it failed. Another GOP stalling tactic. she then went on to become the first female US Solicitor General. You know, the post Bork held.

So, you don’t think she was qualified?
Apparently they did not feel Bork was qualified.

I have no problem with Kagan and would have no problem if they nominated someone who is not a judge.

this doesn’t mean you can vote for an abortion candidate it just means you are in full cooperation if you support abortion. t
You left out intent. You cannot if the intent is to support abortion.

this is the reality, the Dems will pick a pro-abortion judge and codify abortion into law, expanding it.
If you call a judge ‘pro abortion’ there is no use continuing the discussion.

Some Democrats said that they wanted judges to defend the Roe precedent. Adhering to precedent is appropriate. If you want a judge who will overturn Roe, what you are looking for is a partisan judge who will be an activist.

I thought that until I looked up how many Supreme Court decisions have been reversed by a later court. If is SCOTUS s.o.p.

Last edited:
I thought that until I looked up how many Supreme Court decisions have been reversed by a later court.
Reversal is usually not quickly done. Plus, the Roe decision has been tested in the courts several times and has survived. Reversal now would be activism, pure and simple.

And I am against abortion.

If you call a judge ‘pro abortion’ there is no use continuing the discussion.
Harris isn’t talking roe v wade here, she is directly questioning the judge’s abortion view. she will obviously only pick a pro-abortion judge.

bold mine
Harris, a member of the judiciary committee, wrote Buescher asking three questions: whether in joining the Knights he knew that the group opposed “a woman’s right to choose,” whether he knew it also opposed “marriage equality” — code language for same-sex marriage — and whether he “ever, in any way, assisted with or contributed to any advocacy against women’s reproductive rights.”
If you want a judge who will overturn Roe , what you are looking for is a partisan judge who will be an activist.
Roe is bad law, bad law should be overturned, it isn’t activism.
the Roe decision has been tested in the courts several times and has survived
doesn’t mean it is good law, it still should be overturned. it was and is a stretch to equate the death of a child with a right to privacy.
And I am against abortion.
voting for a Democrat will expand abortion.they will codify it into law, they will make it legal in all states up until and allow infanticide just after birth. they will pay for it here and abroad. safe, legal, and rare is a thing of the past.

Adhering to precedent is appropriate.
Would you consider the 3/5 clause, which certainly set a precedent, as and a precedent which ought, appropriately, be adhered to?
Or are some precedents more appropriate for adherence than others?

Having an “an absolutely phenomenal law career” is different from being a great legal mind.

Supreme Court Justices Without Prior Judicial Experience Before Becoming Justices​

Name of JusticePrior OccupationsYears On CourtAppointed By President:
1. William RehnquistAsst. U.S. Attorney General1972-2005Nixon (Assoc., 1972),
Reagan (Chief, 1986)
2. Lewis PowellPresident of the American Bar Ass’n,
Private Practice1972-1987Nixon
3. Abe FortasPrivate Practice1965-1969Johnson
4. Byron WhiteDeputy U.S. Attorney General1962-1993Kennedy
5. Arthur GoldbergU.S. Secretary of Labor1962-1965Kennedy
6. Earl WarrenGovernor of California1953-1969Eisenhower
7. Tom ClarkU.S. Attorney General1949-1967Truman
8. Harold BurtonU.S. Senator1945-1958Truman
9. Robert JacksonU.S. Attorney General1941-1954F. Roosevelt
10. James Francis ByrnesU.S. Senator1941-1942F. Roosevelt
11. William O. DouglasChairman of the S.E.C.1939-1975F. Roosevelt
12. Felix FrankfurterAsst. U.S. Attorney, Asst. Secretary of War,
Prof. of Law at Harvard1939-1962F. Roosevelt
13. Stanley Forman ReedU.S. Solicitor General1938-1957F. Roosevelt
14. Owen Josephus RobertsSpecial Counsel in “Teapot Dome” investigation and trials1930-1945Hoover
15. Harlan Fiske StoneU.S. Attorney General1925-1946Coolidge (Assoc., 1925),
F. Roosevelt (Chief, 1941)
16. Pierce ButlerCounty Attorney, Private Practice1923-1939Harding
17. George SutherlandU.S. Senator1922-1938Harding
18. Louis BrandeisPrivate Practice1916-1939Wilson
19. James Clark McReynoldsU.S. Attorney General1914-1941Wilson
20. Charles Evans HughesGovernor of New York,
U.S. Secretary of State1910-1916,
1930-1941Taft (Assoc., 1910),
Hoover (Chief, 1930)
21. William Henry MoodyU.S. Attorney General1906-1910T. Roosevelt
22. George Shiras, JrPrivate Practice1892-1903Harrison
23. Melville FullerPrivate Practice1888-1910Cleveland
24. Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus LamarU.S. Secretary of the Interior, U.S. Senator1888-1893Cleveland
25. Joseph Philo BradleyPrivate Practice1870-1892Grant
26. Salmon P. ChaseU.S. Treasury Secretary1864-1873Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back