Catholic Amy Coney Barrett Front-Runner as Trump Signals Supreme Court Nomination Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter yankeesouth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know who Eric Simmons is but he sounds like a rightist American Catholic.

Oh great. Yeah that’s who we should go to for a reliable source on Catholic social teaching. . .

I’m sure we could go to Michael Voris for a quote if we wanted another reliable source. . .

Last edited:
Don’t know who Eric Simmons is but he sounds like a rightist American Catholic.
doesn’t matter who he is, it is his words that have meaning and truth.

people are lumping arguable items with intrinsic evils to water down or even accept the intrinsic evils.

it isn’t just abortion, what is her stand on the other non-negotiables (1 Cor 6:9-10)?

the answer isn’t to make them legal but follow 1 Cor 6:11
But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Last edited:
Pope said there is no such thing as the “non-negotiable”.

Someone invented that

Pope said there is no such thing as the “non-negotiable”.

Someone invented that
Catholic Answers invented it, I believe. Back in the 2012 election cycle? Or 2008?

Edit - I stand corrected, apparently it originated in Italian politics, but CA brought it over to make it part of American politics (or try to).

Last edited:
Someone invented that
Pope Benedict XVI, Address to European Parliamentary Group, 30 March 2006.
(bold mine)
As far as the Catholic Church is concerned, the principal focus of her interventions in the public arena is the protection and promotion of the dignity of the person, and she is thereby consciously drawing particular attention to principles which are not negotiable.
I don’t know if he is the first…

Pope John Paul defining it but not using the words.
Pope St. John Paul II, Encyclical The Gospel of Life 74
Christians have a “grave obligation of conscience not to cooperate formally in practices which, even if permitted by civil legislation, are contrary to God’s law. Indeed, from the moral standpoint, it is never licit to cooperate formally in evil. […] This cooperation can never be justified either by invoking respect for the freedom of others or by appealing to the fact that civil law permits it or requires it”

Great research or information, however one would say. This is so helpful to all here.

It has been reported that she is part of a charismatic Catholic group…called "Praise…
Is there such a thing…and is it Catholic?

It has been reported that she is part of a charismatic Catholic group…called "Praise…
Is there such a thing…and is it Catholic?
You mean Amy? Yes, I have heard she is part of some group, I believe Charismatic but I don’t know the name right off.

“People of Praise”, that rings a bell, mentioned in this article:

More,:

From the article, different denominations may be participating. I think I have come across this previously.

Last edited:
If he is Catholic, he is in dissent from the last three popes, specifically Evangelium Vitae.
the Church feels in duty bound to speak out with the same courage on behalf of those who have no voice. Hers is always the evangelical cry in defence of the world’s poor, those who are threatened and despised and whose human rights are violated"
And how can we fail to consider the violence against life done to millions of human beings, especially children, who are forced into poverty, malnutrition and hunger because of an unjust distribution of resources between peoples and between social classes? And what of the violence inherent not only in wars as such but in the scandalous arms trade, which spawns the many armed conflicts which stain our world with blood? What of the spreading of death caused by reckless tampering with the world’s ecological balance, by the criminal spread of drugs, or by the promotion of certain kinds of sexual activity which, besides being morally unacceptable, also involve grave risks to life?
This is the context in which the evil of abortion and euthanasia are condemned. A focus on abortion exclusively is confusing the part with the whole, then end with the means. Abortion is evil because human life is sacred. With no consistent life ethic, abortion is up for grabs.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Protecting human life is the “preeminent” social and political issue, Pope Francis said, and he asked the head of the U.S. bishops’ Committee for Pro-Life Activities to convey his support to the pro-life community.

Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann of Kansas City, Kansas, chairman of the bishops’ committee, told Catholic News Service Jan. 16 that the pope agreed with the U.S. bishops “identifying the protection of the unborn as a preeminent priority.”

“His response to that was, ‘Of course, it is. It’s the most fundamental right,’” Archbishop Naumann recalled the pope saying. "He said, ‘This is not first a religious issue; it’s a human rights issue,’ which is so true.

Now, I heard some positive things about Judge Barbara Lagoa. So, I’d gather we should pray and hope the decision makers make the proper choice.

It’s a box aspiring judges need to check more than ever if they want to get ahead in Florida’s present political climate — membership in the libertarian-minded Federalist Society.*

Miami-born Judge Barbara Lagoa’s affiliation with the conservative legal group helped her land on President Donald Trump’s short list for the open Supreme Court seat.

Her fast rise from a mid-level state judge to a potential Supreme Court pick is another example of how influential the Federalist Society has become. It’s a group that many Floridians have heard of only in passing, if at all, but it has played a starring role in a judicial transformation that could have big ramifications for the environment, abortion rights and health care for years to come.*
Also talk of this “Federalist Society”, see article. Some articles seem to think it’s good and others, the opposite. I am not well-informed on some of this. I’d urge people to research it for themselves but I definitely heard some very good things on her. I will post if I find an article.

And has worked with Governor DeSanctis and I’m sure many other good things.
Melissa Tate
@TheRightMelissa

Democrats would have hard time smearing a Cuban immigrant who has lived the American dream. Picking her, would energize the Latino vote for President Trump and solidify his victory in the much needed State of Florida.
This is a good point, pick on Lagoa might look real bad for the Democrats, even going after her religion.

Last edited:
I commented that Elaine Kagan was not a judge and got on the Supreme Court. That could apply to both men and women.
Elena Kagan had been nominated to the appellate court by Clinton but the Republican senate refused to hold hearings on her nomination, so it failed. Another GOP stalling tactic. she then went on to become the first female US Solicitor General. You know, the post Bork held.

So, you don’t think she was qualified?

If we had some of these Evangelical women up there like I said yesterday, a Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a Michelle Bachmann and maybe she’s Catholic, Michelle Malkin, I’d feel pretty confident they would vote for the right to life.
Sanders is not a lawyer and Bachmann has said some things which are downright foolish. Plus, her business dealings are questionable.

Are you looking for an impartial jurist or someone who channels your political views?

Are you looking for an impartial jurist or someone who channels your political views?
That is my biggest objection to this mess.

Absolutely no one is saying that these proposed women are great legal minds. Just that they’re pro life and they will help the President’s political chances with certain groups.

Now, I am pro life, but I don’t see that as any kind of qualification to be on the Court.

Last edited:
Barrett has had an absolutely phenomenal law career.
Having an “an absolutely phenomenal law career” is different from being a great legal mind.

She clerked for two years, she was in private practice for three years, and then started teaching. She’s been a federal judge for two years.

Can you point to some of her writings that have been widely respected?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back